Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2011051 - 01/08/13 08:20 AM Re: The Ephiphany of Technique I just had [Re: Skorpius]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Skorpius
The faster the piece, the slower you practice it.
A significant percent of pianists agree that slow practice is necessary and useful at some point in the process of learning a piece.

Some think very slow practice is needed even when one has the notes well learned and can play them at full speed. I have started threads about very slow practice of this type and asked the question "Do you think this is important and, if so, why?" Many thought very slow practice was important but the reasons they gave were often very different and almost as numerous as the number of people replying.

As far as the phrase "The faster the piece, the slower you practice it." goes, I'd say it sounds catchy but I don't see why it's particularly true. If it works for the OP then it's a good discovery for him but I see no general significance for most pianists there.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/08/13 08:22 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2011057 - 01/08/13 08:25 AM Re: The Ephiphany of Technique I just had [Re: gooddog]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: gooddog
+1 and thank you. I've been struggling with one of those broad, dramatic up-the-piano and down-the-piano gestures that Liszt liked to write. I've played it slowly until I know it perfectly. I can speed it up quite a bit but I still can't get it all the way up to tempo. (I must have played it 500 times). Maybe I just need to go even slower. I'll give it a try and get back to you.
That's possible, but the first thing I would think about is trying to figure out what's causing this particular technical difficulty.

#2011118 - 01/08/13 10:55 AM Re: The Ephiphany of Technique I just had [Re: Skorpius]
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Delaware (slower/lower)
I'll add, slow practicing with the correct fingering. The fingering needs to be thought about with regard to the regular tempo of the piece. It requires some analytical time with the score, but saves a lot of time and hardship when the tempo starts to increase, and it seems to increase all by itself as you practice slowly. Pay attention to the fingering.

#2011205 - 01/08/13 01:55 PM Re: The Ephiphany of Technique I just had [Re: pianoloverus]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
I agree with this. Slow practice is important but it isn't everything. For one thing the technique you use in slow practice may not work well at a faster tempo.

#2011412 - 01/08/13 07:53 PM Re: The Ephiphany of Technique I just had [Re: pianoloverus]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: Skorpius
The faster the piece, the slower you practice it.
A significant percent of pianists agree that slow practice is necessary and useful at some point in the process of learning a piece.

Some think very slow practice is needed even when one has the notes well learned and can play them at full speed. I have started threads about very slow practice of this type and asked the question "Do you think this is important and, if so, why?" Many thought very slow practice was important but the reasons they gave were often very different and almost as numerous as the number of people replying.

As far as the phrase "The faster the piece, the slower you practice it." goes, I'd say it sounds catchy but I don't see why it's particularly true. If it works for the OP then it's a good discovery for him but I see no general significance for most pianists there.

Yeah, I have to agree here. The phrase seems to suggest that one should go slow simply for the sake of going slow. I think there may be implied meaning, and even correlation among some pianists, behind it, but I don't think it's a universal law. I would suggest a better way of thinking might be: "Practice correctly, at whatever speed it takes to do so."

#2011988 - 01/09/13 11:56 PM Re: The Ephiphany of Technique I just had [Re: drazh]
Okiikahuna Offline

Originally Posted By: drazh
hi
may be you should try another fingering

Perhaps it is useful to leave more time between notes, just as Drazh found it useful to wait seven months before suggesting that Gooddog try a different fingering.

K.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, 45 invisible), 1479 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153531 Topics
2249965 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
04/17/14 07:57 PM
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
04/17/14 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
04/17/14 01:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission