2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1883640 04/21/12 12:35 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Do you play with your eyes closed? If yes, what has been your experience? How useful has it been in terms of learning?

Can you make it through an entire piece with eyes closed? If no, how often do you have to look?

Sometimes ... mainly when practicing scales ... it helps focus my attention ... sometimes I look at the computer screensaver to improve focus despite distractions ... and sometimes I do it to try and identify notes or intervals by sound alone ...

I'm just starting out, but I play eyes shut to get the muscle memory down.

"Amateurs practice until they get a piece right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Usually play scale. I can feel the touch and focus on listening. Playing simple pieces in John Thomson, I can play it eye closed. For pieces require more hand leaping, no success yet.

Working on:\

J.S.Bach Prelude in C Min: No. 2 from Six Preludes fur Anfanger auf dem
Am Abend No. 2 from Stimmungsbilder, Op. 88
60s Swing No. 1 from Swinging Rhythms
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can't do it very well at the piano playing with eyes closed. I can do it on the violin with pieces I've memorized. When I close my eyes, I hear the sound better and am more aware of my movements. I feel the music a lot more too. It's an amazing experience!

Check out Nobuyuki Tsujii. A young, blind, Japanese concert pianist I discovered today on YouTube. He blew my mind away with his La Campanella!

Be yourself

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I do it sometimes when I am working on "leaps" that I think I know, or for tricky passages I think I know. It is sort of a test.

I tend to look at the keyboard a lot - I memorize the music. Playing with eyes shut is a game, a little test, a benchmark sometimes, but not something I do regularly.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for all the replies. There are some more reports on this other thread.

That other thread motivated me to try playing eyes closed this week. I found it to be a step forward. When I perform on the whistle for audiences, I tend to close my eyes (I have over ten years on whistle, six weeks on piano keyboard). My hearing feels sharper, my mind more focused. It is the same with the piano keyboard.

Starting with scales is a good idea for those that have no feel, and then progressing to simple pieces. I peek as needed. With eyes closed, I find myself anticipating the next move, and my playing feels smoother, my mind calmer.

K
K
Glenn Gould used to play with gloves and an overcoat.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
I started to practice once about half an hour before sunset, and only noticed after a while that it had got too dark to see the keyboard. -- Playing from memory, of course.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It is actually a very helpful technique when used briefly for difficult sections. Sometimes the eye tries to keep up with dense writing and/or fast sections. Once a piece is sufficiently learned, closing your eyes can reduce confusion and as a bonus brings in your ear more.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like playing with my eyes closed, and find it helps put more expression into my music at times as there as no distractions and it almost takes you into another world playing like this.

I also find it useful when teaching people if they are struggling on a certain section I get them to play that particular part with their eyes closed as it then gets them using other senses to feel and detect the notes. Then once they can play it with their eyes closed once they go back to play it with the rest of the music it becomes a lot easier to do.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think eyesight is not necessary to playing piano.

Working on:\

J.S.Bach Prelude in C Min: No. 2 from Six Preludes fur Anfanger auf dem
Am Abend No. 2 from Stimmungsbilder, Op. 88
60s Swing No. 1 from Swinging Rhythms
C
C
Look at this concert of blind pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii:

http://videos.arte.tv/de/videos/debuet_in_der_carnegie_hall-6614538.html

Roland FP-7F

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmüller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder played with their eyes "closed" so to speak.

"Amateurs practice until they get a piece right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
F
F
Do you look at your keyboard when you type?

I've got a replacement keyboard on my laptop here that I got on Ebay and of course all the letters wore off in a short time. Looking doesn't help me now! I "think" the letter and my hands "do it".

BTW that's a great piece of music that girl is playing!

Yamaha P95
Just starting "piano advantures" - at page 50-60-odd.
Originally Posted by fingerspitzngefuhl
Do you look at your keyboard when you type?

Nope, I'm sorry. Heh, comes from haveing to copy things off the board and onto my laptop at school. Makes life much easier when you don't need to look up, down, up, down.

HSC pieces:
Shostakovich Piano Concerto op 102. movement 1
Chopin Op10 No1
Debussy Broulliards Preludes Bk1
Kats-Chernin Russian Rag
Messiaen Regard d'letoile
Mozart Sonata for 2 pianos D major
A
A
I think it is VERY useful to be able to not keep looking at the keyboard all the time. You don't have to play with your eyes closed, just keep your eyes on the sheet music and glance down only when necessary.

When I switched over to grand piano from an upright (I was a child) , I hated how the music desk is all the way up there and it made my neck sore from glancing up and down several times during practice. Later on I realized how helpful this was for me, I now rarely ever look on the keyboard (even though I'm by no mean an advanced pianist, my teacher has commended me on this specific skill). In short, I think the correct placement of music desk can help develop a good habit.

I often play with my eyes closed and find it helps me listen to the music better. I pay more attention to the inflections and feel less restrained. But only when I play on my own keyboard at home... and not anybody else's piano, which is unfortunate. On other pianos, I freeze with my eyes closed.

“Master your instrument, Master the music, and then forget all that bullshit and just play.” — Charlie Parker
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by albynism
I think it is VERY useful to be able to not keep looking at the keyboard all the time. You don't have to play with your eyes closed

Excellent, albynism. I play a digital where the music feels like it's in my lap. I built a fairly simple shelf to stand on the piano with a music rack above and pencil shelf below. A lick of black paint and smoother edges might help but it does the job.

I started on an old upright where the rack folds into the piano lid. Much better.

Richard

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission