Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1894875 - 05/10/12 04:28 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Thanks Roy,

No, it does not account for location but so far, I've not encountered any problems with that and if I do, I will just change the appointment or cancel it if is outside of my traveling area with an explanation of course.

I do the majority of scheduling online myself right now. Although, anyone can schedule if they like.

It is a GREAT backup system too. Plus, it remembers everything so the next time I need to make an appointment with "Roy Peters" that is all I need to type in. It will auto remember the rest and fill it in for me. It also sends a confirmation email NOW to the customer for the date, day, and time of our appointment with what we discussed.

24 hours ahead of time, it sends them an email reminder of our appointment the next day. I have asked every single person that I have scheduled or who has scheduled it themselves how they like it. Every single one just ADORES IT! They love it!

Seeing as how I tune so many pianos at Calvin College, it has fast become extremely handy for them and for myself.

People have no idea how much time I spent returning their calls almost every day, or playing phone tag with them and playing email tag with them. Etc. This is a true time saver.

Since I have implemented this new scheduling system, we have virtually, almost, eliminated email contact and most phone calling. But for emergencies.

There are the occasional times where I may have to open up an appointment slot for them when I have a day scheduled off for example and I received an emergency tuning from them; that happened today. But still, it saves me a TON OF TIME making calls, returning calls, and emailing.

Today, they sent me a brief email telling me of the requested date. I opened it up, told them so and then they booked the appointment accordingly and that was that. It auto sends and syncs the scheduling information to my calendar.

On my telephone, I tell people that they can go directly to my website to book the appointment. Many of them do just that.

I chose to list my prices on my website to avoid price shoppers who I am frankly, sick to death of. I haven't had to return price shoppers calls wasting my time since. smile

Loren DiGiorgi (THANK YOU LOREN!) uses it too and is the one who got me started using it. I've only been using mine for about, oh, a month or so??? Maybe 6 weeks? He's been using the same booking system for a lot longer and gets 5-10 appointments a day. He says that makes any additional driving worth it, not having to return so many calls at night.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1894878 - 05/10/12 04:34 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Whoa, I don't think I ever got 10! Easily 5 on some days though.

#1894884 - 05/10/12 04:45 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Whoops. Thanks for the correction Loren. I thought wrong! blush

By the Way Roy I have this posted on my website too. "Do I live in your service area?

I service pianos in the following areas of Western Michigan: Kent, Montcalm, Muskegon, Ottawa counties, and other cities in the surrounding areas. I localize Grand Rapids and its surrounding areas. While these are most common, I encourage you to contact me and discuss tuning, even if you do not see your county, city, or township listed. If you book a tuning and it is not on a day when I'm in your area, I may contact you to reschedule."

That helps to inform them where I do travel.

Edited by Jerry Groot RPT (05/10/12 05:08 PM)
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1894923 - 05/10/12 05:35 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
OK. So this is the same one that Loren posted a while back? I can certainly see the attraction. I'll look at it again. If it had a feature to help with routing, I would be signing up yesterday.

#1895028 - 05/10/12 08:45 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes sir, it sure is. smile

I sent them a suggestion about doing something like that for routing. They said they do not have that feature available at the moment and then suggested that I pick certain dates where I travel NW, SE, SW, NE and post those on the site for people to choose from. Yes.... I told him how stupid I thought that idea was. I said "KISS." Keep it simple stupid.... So, hopefully, they will work on it.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1895091 - 05/11/12 12:05 AM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

It wouldn't have to actually route. The same general direction would be nice.

#1895127 - 05/11/12 03:13 AM Re: Customers? [Re: RoyP]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: RoyP
It wouldn't have to actually route. The same general direction would be nice.
many of you seem to drive a lot!
Talking of customers, each technician meet his customers type in the long run.
it may depend of the quality of service he provides but not only.

The pairing technician/customer is done automatically and naturally.
I strongly believe that.

#1895213 - 05/11/12 08:03 AM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I drive close to 25,000 miles a year. Some of you probably drive more than that in larger cities. I have a certain distance that I will travel and no further or it is no longer worth the drive out there and I won't drive out 30 miles somewhere for just one tuning. Well, I will, if it fills a hole but, I try not to do that. One tuning is better than no tunings... That makes it 1 hour round trip in which time I could have tuned a 2nd piano. So, routing is important to me too.

Right Roy. Having the capabilities as the owner and payer of the website scheduling program, we should have these abilities to limit travel. I don't have the answer. I do know that I do not want one person scheduling me 29 miles west of my home and the next person scheduling me 29 miles east of my home making it a 60 mile trip the opposite direction again. So far, that's not happened but, like I said, I would change it if it did. Maybe Loren has suggestions for that one?

Loren?
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1895219 - 05/11/12 08:14 AM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well Jer, I look at it this way. I make service calls. The nature of my business is that I drive from piano to piano. Sometimes I do go 30 miles in one direction and 30 miles in another.

I look at it this way:

1. When I'm working, it's all about the customer's convenience. When I'm not working, its all about my convenience. smile So...I go all out when I'm "on the job," and when I'm off the job, the voicemail takes all my calls!

2. I think the added income and business generated by the scheduling system, plus the literal hours of phone time it saves me, outweigh the occasional trips out of my way.

I guess in the end, I'd rather have 1 tuning in the time I could have done two rather than no tunings because I was holding out for two.

That probably won't work for everyone, but I'm content. smile

#1895305 - 05/11/12 11:06 AM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

thumb Good answer Loren! Thanks!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1895741 - 05/12/12 12:37 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Do you guys require a credit card number to be entered at the time of booking? I see Genbook offers that option.

This thread prompted me to search for other online appointment scheduling services. There are many. So far, none of them offer routing. I'm still looking. Full Slate is one that will let you set up locations. So, you can set different locations on different days. And, you can accept or decline an appointment before it gets confirmed. What I've thought of doing is once I have an appointment set up in one part of town, then going in to set the location for that day to that area, so that others would be setting appointments around whoever sets the first one. It wouldn't matter where the first one was.

Some services offer two way calendar syncing, others only export. That is one difference. Right now I use Google calendar, which wirelessly syncs with my Blackberry. Contacts also sync. It doesn't integrate the calendar with the contacts, however. So, contact info isn't linked with the appointment. That's one thing I would like. Then, for those who don't pay at the time of service, I have to go back, look at my calendar, and figure out who to bill. I'm looking for something which would integrate this. It would be nice to have a calendar function for appointments which automatically shows who hasn't paid yet. The new version of Quickbooks has some sort of calendar app. But I think it just shows when you have done various accounting tasks. Maybe it will evolve.

Simplifythis looks good. It does all this, with an invoicing function. If I didn't have Quickbooks already, I would probably use it. The thing is that I've already been using Quickbooks for a long time, and use the Intuit Payment Network to invoice people and accept payments. I also have Paypal buttons on my website. But, I have to manually enter info.

Appointments-Plus comes with a Quickbooks plugin. If someone books online and pays, it will import the info to Quickbooks. That's attractive.

Most of the online appointment services do about the same thing. I'm just trying to figure out which might suit my needs best. I'll probably go this direction in some manner.

#1895743 - 05/12/12 12:45 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't capture credit card information at the time of booking. I don't think it's a good business practice. I just let the customer book without requiring anything other than their basic info that I'll need to complete the appointment (address, phone, email, for instance).

Sounds like there are more services now than there were three years ago when I started doing this. At that time, Genbook and Schedulicity were the only two I knew of. The problem with Schedulicity was that (at the time, anyway), you couldn't capture a customer address. It was instead geared toward businesses where the customer travels to the business (tanning salon, etc).

I do think though that it's definitely the way things are going.

#1895752 - 05/12/12 01:21 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I don't capture a credit card number either. I don't think many people would book. I know that I wouldn't. I checked out some of the other programs too besides Genbook but Genbook seemed to offer more flexibility and more of what I wanted and the price is excellent too I think.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1895758 - 05/12/12 01:30 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey Jerry, did you see the new "Read reviews" button Genbook offers? Go to my site and click the Frequent Questions page to see it in action. Maybe your nephew could add it to your site next time he updates?

#1895762 - 05/12/12 01:38 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I like that Loren! I will have him look into putting that feature into mine too. Thanks for letting me know. I agree with you Lauren about Booking online becoming the latest fad. Many doctors, lawyers, my doctor even, allows me to change my appointment with them online if necessary.

PS I am at the cottage playing with my iPad I should be outside enjoying the weather where I am going next. We had to open the second cottage this weekend. Two weekends ago, we opened the other cottage code is done cleaning it right now I set up here.

We are having a very good time up here. And we'll be getting very very drunk tonight ha ha. My son just walked up behind me and said that but he could be very right. Ha ha

Edited by Jerry Groot RPT (05/12/12 01:42 PM)
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1895774 - 05/12/12 02:23 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

I do like the customer review feature of Genbook. Loren, I was going to ask if it only allowed 5 star reviews? laugh But I scrolled down and found a 4.

#1895811 - 05/12/12 03:51 PM Re: Customers? [Re: RoyP]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I do like the customer review feature of Genbook. Loren, I was going to ask if it only allowed 5 star reviews? laugh But I scrolled down and found a 4.

Haha Roy! Yeah, you found it! smile

#1896107 - 05/13/12 10:21 AM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The new iPad has dictation on it. Meaning all I have to do is speak and it types it for me. That is what I was using yesterday when my son walked up behind me and said something about getting drunk yesterday which we did not do. Just FWI. Smile face. smile

I too, really like the review feature in Genbook. In fact, so far I like everything about Genbook.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1896139 - 05/13/12 11:17 AM Re: Customers? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
I don't capture a credit card number either. I don't think many people would book. I know that I wouldn't. I checked out some of the other programs too besides Genbook but Genbook seemed to offer more flexibility and more of what I wanted and the price is excellent too I think.

I'm with Jerry on this one.
As a consumer if one tuner required me to submit CC info just to book an appointment I would simply go with somebody else.
(And this is from somebody who buys things with their credit card online all the time).
These days people are very aware of the inherent risks in posting any such information online.
Some people are somewhat paranoid about putting such information online, especially simply to confirm a booking (even though it won't be charged).
And there are those that will never post their credit card info online at all, ever.

#1896149 - 05/13/12 12:03 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Sparky McBiff]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sparky McBiff
Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT

I'm with Jerry on this one.
As a consumer if one tuner required me to submit CC info just to book an appointment I would simply go with somebody else.
(And this is from somebody who buys things with their credit card online all the time).
These days people are very aware of the inherent risks in posting any such information online.
Some people are somewhat paranoid about putting such information online, especially simply to confirm a booking (even though it won't be charged).
And there are those that will never post their credit card info online at all, ever.

Exactly right! I know I wouldn't enter cc info anywhere just to book an appointment. And like you, I buy stuff online all the time. I just don't see the need to capture cc info just to book an appointment.

#1896150 - 05/13/12 12:05 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Another reason I didn't like Schedulicity is, the customer has to create a profile to book an appointment. Again, that would deter me. I'd just go somewhere else. A customer is just wanting to book an appointment, not sign up for anything. I think it's a poor business model to require that.

#1896171 - 05/13/12 12:53 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Whether something is a good or bad business practice depends upon your goals, does it not? If your goal is to get as many people as possible to book appointments, then barriers to such are bad. If your goal is to minimize lost income due to driving places and having no one be home, then it's more beneficial to have people enter a CC as an insurance measure. They are more likely to take the time they have booked seriously. Yes, many people would look elsewhere. The email/text reminder feature would probably help prevent no-shows. But I don't believe there is a right or wrong here. Fortunately, this is a business where most customers are great people, and are responsible as far as payment goes. The fact is, however, that using an online service like this you are not pre-screening people on the phone. Anybody can sign up, and you don't know who they are until you get to their home. I wouldn't make people enter CC info unless I started to have problems, but I can see why some businesses would want it. I just wondered what you guys thought.

#1896182 - 05/13/12 01:11 PM Re: Customers? [Re: RoyP]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Whether something is a good or bad business practice depends upon your goals, does it not? If your goal is to get as many people as possible to book appointments, then barriers to such are bad. If your goal is to minimize lost income due to driving places and having no one be home, then it's more beneficial to have people enter a CC as an insurance measure. They are more likely to take the time they have booked seriously. Yes, many people would look elsewhere. The email/text reminder feature would probably help prevent no-shows. But I don't believe there is a right or wrong here. Fortunately, this is a business where most customers are great people, and are responsible as far as payment goes. The fact is, however, that using an online service like this you are not pre-screening people on the phone. Anybody can sign up, and you don't know who they are until you get to their home. I wouldn't make people enter CC info unless I started to have problems, but I can see why some businesses would want it. I just wondered what you guys thought.

Well, I think the only time I would give a credit card for booking something would be if I was reserving a hotel room or rental car. But that's also because in most instances, that's also how the customer is going to pay for the room or car.

But in our business, suppose someone wants to book me and the plan is to pay with cash or check? A credit card doesn't even enter the picture, so what would be the reason of requiring a credit card to book the appointment?

I will say this; I've never had an online-booked customer not be there for the appointment. They get the reminder 24 hours ahead of time. I've had customers have to cancel or reschedule, but that's just part of the territory.

#1896185 - 05/13/12 01:12 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As for pre-screening, often times that means pre-judging. That's not good business practice either, imo.

#1896205 - 05/13/12 01:50 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

For me, so far I have only been using Genbook for approximately 6 to 8 weeks. Loren has a lot more experience than I do with Genbook. I have not worried about pre screening in fact, I hadn't even thought about it until now. I do not foresee that as a problem but, like I said, there is always the cancel appointment feature that is available too. No different than cancelling over the phone, right?

The weather up here is awesome!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2045252 - 03/08/13 08:07 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Jerry. Now that you've been using Genbook for about a year, I wonder what you think.

Thanks!

#2045266 - 03/08/13 09:15 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think dentists have the same feelings.

#2045280 - 03/08/13 10:12 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I absolutely love it Roy!!

If I have any trouble with customers that are trying to schedule out further then I'm traveling that week I will simply just call them back and explain the situation to them. It happens rarely. I am finding more and more of my regular clients prefer to use Genbook nowthan ever before because they discovered ths ease ans use of fit..

I can send my customers a reminder message of my choosing asking for removal of all items off from the piano no dishwasher clanking removing or input of dishes and someone. And I do use This feature often. Plus I can change it at will. For the price of $19.95 a month I find it awfully hard to beat. I can't count the number of hours this evening and returning people's phone calls.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2045296 - 03/08/13 10:44 PM Re: Customers? [Re: Bill12349876]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sounds good. I'll look into it again. I hired someone to answer my phone. But it's alot more expensive than $20/month. She does a good job, and I have customers often comment how much they like her. Still, I think of doing this. I get alot of people who email, and then I have to forward to her, or send them an email. And people call my home phone instead of the business number. So, I'm still responding to calls and emails quite a bit.

There are quite a few of these services out there now. I'm checking them out. Thanks.

#2045324 - 03/09/13 12:53 AM Re: Customers? [Re: RoyP]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Joining this a little late, maybe....

My little Ranger has just cracked 362,000 miles, for instance.

Ryan! I disagree that pianos left untuned for years are ok...they are not. Our job should be to KEEP pianos in tune, not drag them up to pitch irregularly, and hope they sound good for a while. If the customer won't schedule once a year, I don't keep them in the 'current' file. Pianos that go flat CAN be damaged by the experience; what happens when you are dragging all those kinks and bends around the bridge up and away from the pins to get it in tune? False beats, and crummy sounds, my friend! Properly; we train the strings, balance the load, and then maintain it with minimal tuning input. Pianos like that are a treat to tune, and WANT to go back in place. They literally jump back into place...because that's where the whole load is comfortable and 'proper'. I really do disagree with you on that score..sorry, my friend! Some older tuners, and piano care books, also talk about bridge damage, soundboard stresses, and (gasp!) structural problems from horsing around with the 30,000lbs. at irregular intervals.....but, I can't honestly tell someone their piano may explode if they fail to tune it. I'd like to.......but.....(sigh)

Phones? Well, I always set an estimated 'next' tuning, and I encourage 6-months for pianos actually being played, and once a year for the ones that only get tapped on Sundays by a little old lady when she's feeling good. Minimum once a year, or you are not taking care of your investment is what I say.

Reminder cards? Yup. That's my basic (although email reminders are getting more frequent)method of keeping in contact with the customers. I send a card, and I expect the customer to have the interest to by-golly call me back. I NEVER call and harass the customer to tune their piano. There's a guy out here who gave me a new client this week when he called and said; 'I need to make a car payment. Can I come and tune your piano tomorrow?'. True story.

My wife is my office manager. We like to tell people that it is the perfect arrangement. I get up in the morning, and she tells me where to go and what to do.

Muttering,
'Yes, darling.',
I remain,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (ajames, albumblatter, Abby Pianoman, Alex-SapRenovation, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1794 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75595 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295527 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission