Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1895776 - 05/12/12 02:28 PM Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses?
Richard Parizer Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
I have included a link to a good one in my signature but was curious if anyone has done some other ones too?

PIano Instructor, Musician, and Audio Engineer

Great Piano Tutorial

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1895780 - 05/12/12 02:38 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
There's no such thing as a "great" online piano course.

You can write a book or an online course that covers all you need to know but it won't help you playing the piano much until you can get someone next to you saying, "not like that, like this..." etc.

How do you learn any art or craft? Make corrections.

Play the piano in 30 days?
Hit a key, hit another one. What are you doing? Playing piano!

#1895895 - 05/12/12 07:52 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Listen to the voices of experience that will tell you ....

You learn piano best with a teacher and regular lessons.

All those "LEARN FAST" schemes are just selling dreams.

Yes, we all want to learn to play our favorite tunes FAST but it just never quite works out.

Oh, you might be able to memorize which keys to press for a simplified version of something but getting to the point where you can actually play something that sounds professional takes a long time with a lot of practice.

You can dream but the voices of experience have been where you are and they will tell you it is not going to happen.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#1895899 - 05/12/12 08:00 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
There is a ton of information online, on websites and on Youtube. I am teaching myself. I found it better to pick and choose, rather than to stay with one person's material.

I wish I could justify the considerable expense of a teacher, but I can't. From peeking at the teacher's forum and reading about some of the teacher experiences on this forum, I might not enjoy the teacher route either. I might be totally off base.

#1895926 - 05/12/12 09:00 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
pianoslacker Offline

I like this guy on Youtube - 'Piano-ology':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zgocAY3wD4&feature=relmfu

I think he has a touch of genius as a teacher.

(Oh and also, he doesn't want your cash :))

#1896045 - 05/13/12 05:53 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
I am also a big fan of Piano-ology, really enjoyable.
Not everyone has the possibility to get a teacher, not everyone has enough money, has a teacher around or simply has the right personality to work under the scrutiny of a teacher.
Don't get me wrong, I am no saying having a teacher is a bad thing (I obviously don't have the expertise to judge that), I just say not everyone can have one, and reading all the time "You won't get anywhere without a teacher" is more than a bit discouraging for those who are in that situation, a bit like saying them "Throw your piano away", you won't achieve anything anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that any of this "learn in 1 hour during your sleep" method work and I am a firm believer that you only achieve things through hard work (due to my personality, I have been a self-learner in very many disciplines my all life, from languages to computer science, digital sculpting, drawing...)and it never came without a lot of work. But, for some people, having to perform with someone correcting each and every one of your action is such an inhibitor that in the end they won't progress at all (unless they find a person with whom they feel perfectly well, but depending on your personality it's not always easy, and besides, to achieve that you have to have a large choice which is obviously not always possible, not everyone having the possibility to choose between 20 teachers).
Sorry if, as a beginner, I allow myself to speak about such a subject, but believe me, reading almost every day that you won't learn because you can't have a teacher is so discouraging...
Btw, I want to be clear, I do understand that having a teacher is most certainly very helpful (provided it's a good teacher), I am just sad because now it feels like I am wasting my time when I try to learn and it seems I have to give up yet another dream.

Edited by Jean-Luc (05/13/12 08:13 AM)

Jean-Luc

#1896085 - 05/13/12 09:35 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
To the OP's question, these are a few of the resources I've used.

http://pianoforall.com/

Lots of techniques for playing rock and pop, goes through the most used riffs and rhytms. You can learn a lot from it.

http://www.rocketpiano.com/

Been discussed many times, some say their marketing is dishonest - that they're setting up reviewing sites, which are really affiliates. However the material is not bad, and can in no way be classified as a play piano in no time course.

They have a cool sister site, songpond.com. There you can get a subscription to lessons for individual songs. Be warned, some of the lessons are good, other not as good. Check out the reviews and stars they get. They also have piano technique videos.

YouTube has loads of free stuff of course.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur

Play piano and music theory videos, hours and hours added up, very good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pianojohn113

Song lessons of mostly Beatles, Billy Joel and Elton John songs. Giving you what you need to know to play the songs (not necessarily quickly, takes a lot of practice still) but not theory oriented.

This last one I haven't checked out very much (although I could mention many more, like Scott the piano guy, but this post is too long already.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/BachScholar

Edited by Pianotehead (05/13/12 09:38 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#1896102 - 05/13/12 10:13 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
LizAnne Offline

I've gotta agree with Jean-Luc. No, nobody will become a virtuoso by following online training alone. But, there are resources out there that can be helpful to beginners, whether they're not taking lessons at all or they're using them to complement lessons. You don't necessarily need to be paying someone 60$ an hour to teach you level 1.

Let's face it - individual lessons are expensive and for some people they're not practical. Not everyone has the same goals or desires with the piano. For some people, online is enough. Constantly hearing that you'll never learn anything without individual lessons with a great teacher is discouraging.

I like this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphWgqbF-AM
I watched the pedaling lesson last night. It was free, they guy has a quirky charm to him, and I did learn something.

This is an interesting theory resource:
http://www.8notes.com/theory/

It does look like the OP might be trying to sell his site - it was his first post on here. Has anyone tried it? The claim of learning to play in 30 days is a little too gimmicky for me, but the 14 day free trial might be worth checking out.

#1896193 - 05/13/12 01:28 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
No, you don't need a teacher. I was self taught from nine to twenty-three.

With a teacher you learn better and faster. Without a teacher get a good, well known course like Alfred's, Faber's or John Thompson's. Free online courses and stuff are great, too.

What I wouldn't recommend is an online course that doesn't let me browse through the course first, so that I can see what I'm going to learn and how quickly, and that is going to charge me more than a well tried and long published course.

And promising me too much too soon really is too good to be true. If it were that easy we'd all be doing it.

#1896206 - 05/13/12 01:52 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
Jean-Luc Offline

Thank you for your feedback Richard. It's a relief because I have learned to respect your opinion reading this forum and when you seems to say "It can't be done", well you can imagine how it feels for someone who has no other choice smile
I fully understand your position on "Learn in a week without effort" methods though and I share it. I have no illusion that learning piano will take years of dedication and constant efforts (but I am willing to spend as much time each day as it is reasonable to on it, and when the body will have to rest, then I will feed the brain with the theory part since I also want to play jazz). (Working with Alfred, Faber and Michael Aaron, supplemented by Piano for All, to learn some basic chord progression to help me apply the theory)
So hearing that it is possible, albeit with some restrictions is really a good news smile

Edited by Jean-Luc (05/13/12 01:55 PM)

Jean-Luc

#1896271 - 05/13/12 04:30 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Jean-Luc]
pianoslacker Offline

Hey, Jean-Luc - Piano isn't like violin or most other instruments. Even one note sounds great the first time you hit it. In fact it sounds almost like Sviatoslav Richter smile. So I think with a bit of application there's probably very few people who won't be able to play piano in some way that pleases them.

Anyway, that's my perspective as a one month beginner.

Cheers.

#1896560 - 05/14/12 06:33 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
Jean-Luc Offline

I agree pianoslacker, at least for that we are at an advantage, a piano sounds good out of the box as opposite to a double bass, a violin or even a saxophone (for example).
I think it's sometimes just a bit scary to see how hard it is to get our hands to do the right things while you watch seasoned piano player dance on the keyboard smile

btw, pianoslacker, if you haven't done so already you might want to have a look at Piano-ologist web site (http://www.piano-ology.com/index.html). It's free and there is a lot of tips that seems to make a lot of sense smile

Edited by Jean-Luc (05/14/12 07:16 AM)

Jean-Luc

#1896642 - 05/14/12 10:17 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Jean-Luc]
pianoslacker Offline

Thanks, J-L - I'll check that out.

Cheers
Rob

#1896743 - 05/14/12 02:04 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: pianoslacker]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: pianoslacker
Even one note sounds great the first time you hit it. In fact it sounds almost like Sviatoslav Richter smile. So I think with a bit of application there's probably very few people who won't be able to play piano in some way that pleases them.

Anyway, that's my perspective as a one month beginner.

Cheers.

Love this post!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#1896881 - 05/14/12 06:53 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: jdw]
pianoslacker Offline

I know - I'm slightly using my own brand of logic there. smile

#1897090 - 05/15/12 01:17 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
pianovoce Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Have you checked out Peery PIano yet?

Prior to relocating, I had a wonderful teacher. I met with a couple of teachers who told me I was too advanced for them and suggested I contact the professors at the local universities. That seemed a bit much to me. Google eventually led me to Christie Peery.

Peery is a good program if you want to go the classical route as it tends to follow the RCM program. I wanted to start at the beginning and am glad I did because I actually am learning new things. The process of submitting videos forces me to strive for perfection. I've gotten helpful feedback and all students videos and Christie's responses are available for viewing, which I find enriching and inspirational.

There are materials to buy, method books and what not. It's not an "instant piano" type course at all, which is why I'm a fan. In-person lessons are best, but this is certainly an excellent substitute or at least a great place to start.

#1897100 - 05/15/12 02:09 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Sorry to cut in like that, but the OP has 5 posts, has been absent since the beginning of the thread as far as I can tell, and most importantly offered his own link in his signature, saying that "it's great" or something similar to that.

Isn't this the definition of SPAM?

#1897222 - 05/15/12 08:09 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
Jean-Luc Offline

Pianovoce, I would have a question for you smile
I had a look at the Perry piano site and it looks like it could be a solution for me so I would be interesting in trying it. My problem is the fact that the books needed for the course are not listed and I would like to know what they are before I take the plunge (I need to know if I can afford them and if I can easily find them in my country too smile ).
Would it be possible for you to list them here ? I would really appreciate it smile

Jean-Luc

#1897223 - 05/15/12 08:10 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Nikolas]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Sorry to cut in like that, but the OP has 5 posts, has been absent since the beginning of the thread as far as I can tell, and most importantly offered his own link in his signature, saying that "it's great" or something similar to that.

I would agree. I also noticed that each of his 5 posts is the only post he made within a particular thread. So, it is pretty clear that the purpose of his posting is "business" oriented.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#1897275 - 05/15/12 10:05 AM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
btcomm Offline

Loc: California
Wow! The link the OP included in his signature says I can become a Master Pianist in 30 days! Why have I been wasting my time with a teacher?

#1897330 - 05/15/12 12:13 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Jean-Luc]
pianovoce Offline

Here are the books you'll need for the beginning "Essential Habits" portion of things. Each level of 3 is divided in to muscular, musical, and practical (theory).

Celebrate Piano Lessons and Musicianship 1A, Frederick Harris
Celebrate Piano Lessons and Musicianship 1B, Frederick Harris
Celebrate Piano Solos 1, Frederick Harris
Celebration Perspectives Repertoire Preparatory, Frederick Harris
Flashcards by Bastien, Kjos
4-Star Sight Reading Introductory, Frederick Harris
Junior Hanon, Alfred
Fundamentals of Piano Theory Prep, Frederick Harris

Once out of the "Habits" and in to "Players," the full syllabus applies: http://www.peerypiano.com/sites/all/files/pdf/PlayersMaterials.pdf

You can also submit a placement video to give her a better sense of whether you need the "practical" section or just the muscular and musical. She seems flexible on some things and strict with others, like a good teacher should be.

The pieces in the Celebration Perspectives book are fun to play. I can't tell you how glad I am to not have to play "Blow the Man Down" and "Oh, Susanna."

If you sign up, tell her Darrel sentcha and get me some brownie points! wink

#1897336 - 05/15/12 12:24 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Nikolas]
LizAnne Offline

I would agree the thread started as spam and that might be why the tone started out so negative. It is a valuable topic though for those who are using online resources. Maybe we should start a new, more positive thread listing "good" (not great smile ) online resources.

#1897337 - 05/15/12 12:27 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
Jean-Luc Offline

Thank you for your answer Darrel smile
I was hopping they would be available on amazon.fr but no luck frown I guess I will have to go to a shop and see if they can order them. It's sad, it seems this way of learning would work well for me.

Jean-Luc

#1897354 - 05/15/12 12:56 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: LizAnne]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Liz... you're right.

I'll notify the mods so they can act according to their wishes... It's not that there's a link in the signature, heck I have one and most pros here have one. It's the fact that he's not acting like a member, but just advertising the services in his signature and not much else...

#1897420 - 05/15/12 02:45 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Jean-Luc]
pianovoce Offline

I don't even see them on Amazon.co.uk, which is surprising. I've ordered stuff from various European Amazon sites and a few other book/music sellers and shipping was pretty reasonable. SheetMusicPlus.com definitely has reasonable international shipping costs, especially if you can wait a week or two.

If there's a local music store near you, they can likely order them for you, as well.

Check out SheetMusicPlus.com and go through the checkout process and see how much it would cost with the various shipping options available. There are other international students, so others have somehow overcome this.

#1897478 - 05/15/12 05:06 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Richard Parizer]
Jean-Luc Offline

Darrel, I contacted the Piano Peery support and I got the following answer: All the instructional materials you will need are provided to you on the web site. It is not necessary to purchase any books to follow along with the lessons.
I am a bit surprised because in the sample lessons,Christie mention the materials that will need to be purchased (and it make sense considering the PDF link).
It's tempting (I am really interested by the feedback part) but I will have to make sure there is no misunderstanding first smile

i

Edited by Jean-Luc (05/15/12 05:52 PM)

Jean-Luc

#1897519 - 05/15/12 06:27 PM Re: Does anyone know of any other great online piano courses? [Re: Nikolas]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Liz... you're right.

I'll notify the mods so they can act according to their wishes... It's not that there's a link in the signature, heck I have one and most pros here have one. It's the fact that he's not acting like a member, but just advertising the services in his signature and not much else...

I think notifying the mods was the first thing I did laugh So you might get a "the thread has been reported" notice.

But I like it that no one has essentially taken the bait, and they've added genuinely good information.

Cathy

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
Today at 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
Today at 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
Today at 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
Today at 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
Today at 11:18 AM
Who's Online
126 registered (alfredo capurso, ando, anotherscott, anamnesis, 36251, 31 invisible), 1496 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326135 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission