2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1895111 05/11/12 01:23 AM
V
Bronze Subscriber
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
V
i never took a piano lesson but i have a old piano in my home.amazingly i know its silly i can play almost any melody with my right hand i dont over impress myselft because i cant do anything properly
when i hear a song 3-2 times i try to play it on the piano suprizing i can run my figures to corret notes with my right and just messing bit with the starting note but once i get it i can even play blindfolded in the dark.sometimes i can play crazy melodies with my both hands i just play A major and G with my left hand chords .is there a way that i can do a atleast a little bit with me left hand?

i also like to play yanni's melody even though its very hard and imposible for me i even can touch the melody with my right hand santorini,marching season withattration etc

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Did you try swapping hands - I mean play with LH what you usually do with RH?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Really what you're asking is to learn to actually play piano. Best way is to take lessons. If you are not able to do that at this time, then the 2nd option is to get a good method book. I recommend the Hal Leonard Adult Method. Be patient with yourself and don't skip pages, work 2-3 pieces at a time, and you will progress. Just bear in mind that without a teacher chances are you will develop bad habits in your technique that will ultimately limit your ability to play, so I highly recommend getting a teacher from the start.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
A simple exercise that I found useful was to play scales with two hands, half a beat apart. So start with the left hand on C, half a beat then right hand C, then left D, right D and so on. Then have the right hand lead by half a beat. Then do contrary scales, going up with the left, and going down the scale with the right.

These exercises helped my hands develop more independence, and trained the brain to send signals to each hand in small steps. Even these simple exercises were difficult for me at the start. To get to Yanni is likely a long road, but a person has to start where they are.

It does sound like the op has extraordinary natural gifts.

Another thing to try has been suggested, work with the left hand in isolation. Play the melody lines with the left and do nothing with the right. Play varying chords or arpeggiated chords with the left while singing or not.

R
R
Hey Sand Tiger!

I think that is some good advice!

Also Vibavi, you seem like a person with a good ear and probably good improvising skills too. If you are familiar with chords and scales, than one great thing to do is to determine the major scale/key signature you are (typically a popular melody would be drawn from one major scale).

Once you have determined the scale than this should lead you to the common triads (chords) in the scale. After this, use that great ear to figure out the chord progression that follows the melody and decide what fits.

You can also break a part each chord (broken chord) with the left hand while playing a melody with the right hand.

For example: Using the C Major triad (C E G played together)

Left hand could play C to E to G to E to C and repeat this in a nice consistent rhythm.

Right hand could play a simple melody at the same time:
Perhaps holding C for four counts followed by E for four counts then G for four counts, and then back to E for four counts.

This should just supply a foundation playing with two hands. The trick is to start simple and gradually try new things.

Hope you found this information useful.

Richard Parizer

PIano Instructor, Musician, and Audio Engineer

Great Piano Tutorial

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission