Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1891092 - 05/04/12 01:01 PM Roland V-Piano
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
Have there been any improvements to the Roland V-Piano in recent months. Can it still be bought for under 6,000?

Is there a model in the works that will surpass it?

And...wondering about a good source for a used one.

Don

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1891433 - 05/04/12 11:17 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

1) No current improvements that I know of, and, there is still the issue of the ivory top keys that will scratch. I own one now and have had a full key bed replacement and it remains to be seen if the new keys will hold up. A quick scratch test on a high "A" key seems to indicate that there will be more wear on them, unfortunately. Only see a few online stores that are offering the V for $6,000, although I would be reluctant to take the free ground shipping as the piano box can be damaged due to its weight. Freight delivery, with all of the boxes on a pallet, is safer.

2) ?

3) From time to time you will find used V's, as there are several in the offering here, priced from lowest to highest:

A) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-VPiano-88...33#ht_500wt_898

B) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-V-Piano-V...6#ht_2734wt_915

C) http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLAND-V-PIANO-W...8#ht_3002wt_954

D) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-V-Piano-T...d#ht_1089wt_792

Better check with the sellers directly to see if the "used" models have scratched and dirty looking keys first, as this usually happens after it has been played on for a while.

Other than the above, be prepared to pay around $7,000 to buy it brand new, elsewhere.

#1891437 - 05/04/12 11:23 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
pv88, would you perhaps consider selling Bech your V-Piano?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1891440 - 05/04/12 11:31 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

James,

Sorry, as it's not for sale, since it's about the best you're gonna find for an acoustic-like simulation, although the keys aren't up to the task.

Fix the ivory key top material, then I might be less negative.

As you know, no luck with the first replacement.

#1891452 - 05/05/12 12:13 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: pv88]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Originally Posted By: pv88
1) No current improvements that I know of, and, there is still the issue of the ivory top keys that will scratch. I own one now and have had a full key bed replacement and it remains to be seen if the new keys will hold up. A quick scratch test on a high "A" key seems to indicate that there will be more wear on them, unfortunately. Only see a few online stores that are offering the V for $6,000, although I don't know if they are reliable as the piano will ship for free with UPS ground shipping and you risk damage to the piano. Here is one store, at the lower price:

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/Roland-V-PianoC-Stage-Piano-p/roland-v-pianoc.htm

2) ?

3) From time to time you will find used V's here, and, right now there are several in the offering, priced from lowest to highest:

A) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-VPiano-88...33#ht_500wt_898

B) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-V-Piano-V...6#ht_2734wt_915

C) http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLAND-V-PIANO-W...8#ht_3002wt_954

D) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-V-Piano-T...d#ht_1089wt_792

Better check with the sellers directly to see if the "used" models have dinged up and dirty looking keys first, as this usually happens after it has been played on for a while.

Other than the above, be prepared to pay around $7,000 to buy it brand new, elsewhere.

Just a fair warning to anyone thinking of buying a V-piano off of e-bay. Take PV88's number A link and simply read the description.

"Bought this VPiano from Sweetwater Sound (brand new) less than 2 years ago for $8,000. I am 98 years old and cannot play any longer. It is in perfect condition, as it has never been moved and has barely been used."

I don't know if I'd believe that this guy was a 98 year old who paid $8,000 etc and is willing to sell it for half in two years. Buyer beware..

I would definitely purchase the V-piano from a reputable source as it is a purchase you want to have the manufacturers warranty with.

I have not had any issue with my ivory keytop and I play it daily. I do cut my nails short enough not to cause the flaking that PV88 has described causing with his nails. If you play piano and your finger nails hit the keys, I would be weary of any ROland Ivory keytops as all seem to not like fingernail hits or scratches.

#1891635 - 05/05/12 10:45 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
alekkh Offline

V-Piano has not changed since the time it was released.

The price went up over time and is not going down.

I bought mine about 3 months ago for $6799. It is also sold new for $5999 without stand.

I cannot say enough good things about V-Piano. It's a must have for me, one instrument of a kind that I am honored to play.

#1891767 - 05/05/12 02:59 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: alekkh]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: alekkh

The V-Piano did get the Evolution upgrades in its 2nd year, which are installed in all V-Pianos made after those upgrades became available. Users of the first versions (which had 24 presets only) without the upgrades can install them themselves from the website. (I wasn't able to, so Roland did it for me....).

Presumably, more upgrades will become available in the future. After all, the V-Piano Grand has two extra settings which aren't on the V-Piano, but according to Roland, they are specially designed for the Grand.

Maybe they will be available for V-Piano users in due course (presumably after undergoing a slight nomenclature modification.... grin).

#1891784 - 05/05/12 03:59 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: bennevis]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: bennevis

Presumably, more upgrades will become available in the future.

You're not planning to hold your breath, are you?
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1891794 - 05/05/12 04:19 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Melodialworks Music]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music

Presumably, more upgrades will become available in the future.

You're not planning to hold your breath, are you?

I'm currently training for the World Freediving Championship.... grin
4 minutes and counting....

#1891820 - 05/05/12 05:06 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Kona_V-Piano]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kona_V-Piano

"Bought this VPiano from Sweetwater Sound (brand new) less than 2 years ago for $8,000. I am 98 years old and cannot play any longer. It is in perfect condition, as it has never been moved and has barely been used."

Wondering as to why this person above spent $8,000 on a V, when the current highest price at Sweetwater is only $6,999?

Perhaps they meant the original list price was $7,999, instead?

Otherwise, he/she paid $1,000 more for the purchase.

#1891838 - 05/05/12 05:43 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
1000 Post Club Member

I suppose either, (a) due to taxes and shipping being added to the retail price, or (b) taking advantage of a 98 year-old. (Although I do know a few sharp 98-year-olds . . . )

#1892194 - 05/06/12 11:43 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: pv88]
alekkh Offline

Originally Posted By: Kona_V-Piano

Wondering as to why this person above spent $8,000 on a V, when the current highest price at Sweetwater is only $6,999?

In some cases they sell bundles with very good monitors etc that run about 8K. So, theoretically it's possible. Plus, when I shopped for V-Piano, shipping was not free even in some respected stores.

#1892198 - 05/06/12 11:46 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: bennevis]
alekkh Offline

The V-Piano did get the Evolution upgrades in its 2nd year, which are installed in all V-Pianos made after those upgrades became available. Users of the first versions (which had 24 presets only) without the upgrades can install them themselves from the website. (I wasn't able to, so Roland did it for me....).

Presumably, more upgrades will become available in the future. After all, the V-Piano Grand has two extra settings which aren't on the V-Piano, but according to Roland, they are specially designed for the Grand.

Maybe they will be available for V-Piano users in due course (presumably after undergoing a slight nomenclature modification.... grin).

I happen to call something "an upgrade" when something useful actually happens.

V-Piano's upgrade was marketing. Nothing to do with the musical aspect of V-Piano.

#1892249 - 05/06/12 01:18 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
To me, Roland raising the price of the vpiano without improving anything about it is a signal they aren't going anywhere with it..

Bech, i don't know how old you are, but i will give you an analogy. If you desperately regret not having bought a Delorean when they were on the market back in the 80's, then buy the vpiano. Cool at the time, and interesting now as a vintage collectible, delorean never gained critical mass in the marketplace. Sadly, the vpiano seems to be running the same course. Roland seems to have developed it, threw it out there, didn't know what to do with it, so they just decided to raise the price, build them more or less to order, and see what happens. that is not the proper evolution of a technology product. And i know i speak heresy here, but digital pianos are technological representations/facsimiles of a musical instrument, in my mind they are NOT a musical instrument. A convenient means to an end, and a fascinating application of microprocessor technology. I am fascinated with them, but only if they continually get better. The Vpiano actually did that, but this far into its life cycle, we should be hearing more about where it is heading- it is FAR from perfect.

I'd just be careful of how much you are willing to spend on digital technology that seems to be filling a small niche within a small niche. You can get left alone pretty quickly.

Edited by bfb (05/06/12 01:20 PM)

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1892258 - 05/06/12 01:40 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
The danger is that the V-Piano will go the way of the RD-1000 and derivatives. SA synthesis was relegated to a dusty shelf in the '90s and was only taken down and dusted off for the V. If that technology is not to spawn a genuine advance in mass-market DP technology, it's a crying shame. Roland, please don't just shove it back on the shelf for the next twenty years: develop it, put it in $2,000 products (as we were all expecting a few years back). It's too remarkable a technology to be hidden away in a few studios and millionaires' living rooms.

#1892263 - 05/06/12 01:44 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: alekkh]
1000 Post Club Member

V-Piano's upgrade was marketing. Nothing to do with the musical aspect of V-Piano.

That's not true. The upgrade did offer improvement, just not enough for a V-Piano owner like myself.

#1892310 - 05/06/12 02:51 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Melodialworks Music]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's not true. The upgrade did offer improvement, just not enough for a V-Piano owner like myself.

i'd beg to differ on that one. all they did was pre-package some tweaks to the parameters into 4 settings. Bennevis has done far more for the advancement of the vpiano than Roland has.

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1892622 - 05/07/12 12:11 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
Thanks to all of you for your input. I'd hate to buy a V-Piano and a year or two later Roland or another manufacturer comes-out with something definitely superior in the same price range.

What I really need to do is get of my duff and into a showroom that has high quality acoustics and the V-Piano and try'em out, side by side. I think there's a good chance I then would not want anything other than an acoustic. Sounds have "nuances" and I think I would hear them.

Problem is as long as I'm in an apartment an acoustic won't do but I may soon be buying a house.

Bech

#1892696 - 05/07/12 04:27 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
offnote Offline

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Bech
Thanks to all of you for your input. I'd hate to buy a V-Piano and a year or two later Roland or another manufacturer comes-out with something definitely superior in the same price range.

Bech

Although roland has done this before in this case I wouldn't worry much.
V-piano is currently best piano simulation on the market so drastic changes
Are unlikely unless yamaha will come up with a modeled avantgrand version.
Anyway i think for a year or two you are safe cool

#1892725 - 05/07/12 06:44 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: offnote]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: offnote

Bech

Although roland has done this before in this case I wouldn't worry much.
V-piano is currently best piano simulation on the market so drastic changes
Are unlikely unless yamaha will come up with a modeled avantgrand version.
Anyway i think for a year or two you are safe cool
The punch is tasting good in this thread. It takes awhile after swallowing.

#1892770 - 05/07/12 08:40 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: pv88]
Rich Galassini Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey

pv88,

If this is true (which I do not think it is) then there would still be no reason for it to effect your decision on buying a V-Piano.

We offer special V-piano packages that include a speaker system, stand, bench, etc. and have rarely had a customer buy elsewhere over price. Just a thought.

Good Luck,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1892878 - 05/07/12 11:51 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
alekkh Offline

What I really need to do is get of my duff and into a showroom that has high quality acoustics and the V-Piano and try'em out, side by side. I think there's a good chance I then would not want anything other than an acoustic. Sounds have "nuances" and I think I would hear them.

Problem is as long as I'm in an apartment an acoustic won't do but I may soon be buying a house.

Bech

If year or two later there's a better alternative to V-Piano, great.

But there may be none.

#1893437 - 05/08/12 10:20 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: alekkh]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bech

If year or two later there's a better alternative to V-Piano, great.

But there may be none.

my sentiments too. The platform is set up to upgrade fairly easily- mainly just software downloads from roland. but there hasn't been a software update in 2 years. that is what amazes me. just do something, anything that makes users believe you are nurturing the concept/technology. The hardware is fine- obviously a lighter, more portable version would be interesting in the future, but sell the marketplace on the constant refinement of the software first and then innovate the physical instrument.

#1896322 - 05/13/12 05:59 PM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: bfb]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Originally Posted By: bfb

i'd beg to differ on that one. all they did was pre-package some tweaks to the parameters into 4 settings. Bennevis has done far more for the advancement of the vpiano than Roland has.

I concur and 100% agree with this point. Roland should hire bennevis and have him help in creating the next Evolution part 2 upgrade that the V-piano deserves. At the very least come out with the extra sounds taken from the V-piano Grand as part of Rolands way to say they are still supporting their amazing product.

#1896542 - 05/14/12 04:44 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
Karnevil Offline

When you really think about it, there have been very little development in digital emulations of various synths and keyboards these last 10+ years. V-Piano is certainly an exception, but even V-Piano is getting a bit long in the tooth now. As far as analog synth and keyboard emulations the industry is pretty much at a stand still. Creamware made some very good (still digital sounding though) synth emulations 10+ years ago, and those are still the best on the market IMO. The newest hammond organ clones still sound thinner than the real thing, and digital overdrive is still very nasty and/or flat sounding on higher settings (Nord C1/C2 for instance).
Hmm, you would think with the development of DSP and CPU chips that sound quality would conitinue to improve, obviously not...

I mean listen to progrock and fusion jazz albums for the 70s. I sooo much more prefer that sound to todays fake, digital sounds. V-Piano is a very good digital simulation, but it's still a weak in certain areas - as all other digital emulations today are. Nothing can beat the sound of a real piano, hammond organ, modular synth etc..

#1896546 - 05/14/12 05:20 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Karnevil]
offnote Offline

Originally Posted By: Karnevil

I mean listen to progrock and fusion jazz albums for the 70s. I sooo much more prefer that sound todays fake digital sounds..

thumb
It'sad but music sounded better in seventies indeed.

#1896558 - 05/14/12 06:23 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: offnote]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Yes. The analogue art form reached full maturity in the 70s. A well recorded piece of music from the 70s cannot be equalled for sonic clarity, warmth or dynamics - the three could go hand-in-hand back then.

#1896572 - 05/14/12 07:09 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: EssBrace]
offnote Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace

Yes. The analogue art form reached full maturity in the 70s. A well recorded piece of music from the 70s cannot be equalled for sonic clarity, warmth or dynamics - the three could go hand-in-hand back then.

yet keyboards companies are heading still in wrong direction...
confused

#1896578 - 05/14/12 07:23 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Bech]
Karnevil Offline

It seems we are in full agreement! smile
Well, convenience has won over sound quality. Even many of todays analog synths sound inferior to the 70s models, like MiniMoog Voyager which lacks the richness and power in sound that the original Mini-Moogs offered, though we got a decent tradeoff with the added tuning stability.
Well, I guess I'm still very happy with my digital piano, but some day I will have a grand piano in my living room. smile

#1896579 - 05/14/12 07:26 AM Re: Roland V-Piano [Re: Karnevil]
offnote Offline

Originally Posted By: Karnevil
Well, I guess I'm still very happy with my digital piano, but some day I will have a grand piano in my living room. smile

I guess it will ba an analoge grand piano? grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (adanepst, accordeur, acortot, 36251, 41 invisible), 1742 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153498 Topics
2249334 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
04/16/14 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
04/16/14 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission