2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 190 of 540 1 2 188 189 190 191 192 539 540
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
You bet I will post something. At least some pictures. I got confirmation from everyone and really looking forward to it.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Happy virtual recital party to everyone, I am listening to some recital as I type. Happy real life party to Farmgirl and all those attending in Arizona.

Sinophilia, congrats on completing book 2. It must be a nice feeling to close one book and open another. I read your comments on the recital thread, and listened to your submission. You play very well, especially for one year. Keep in mind that those uploading for the recital tend to be in the top 10% group. and some may have other experience such as childhood lessons or time on other instruments that they may not be mentioning. I'd guess that there are hundreds of beginner pianists with one year to two years of experience that read this forum, and fewer than ten uploaded for the recital. I am guessing that most of those hundreds that listened to your recording are thinking: wow, that is a high level for one year—that's what I thought. Also keep in mind that some people are practicing for many hours a day. One year at 15 minutes a day, is far different from an hour a day, or three hours a day.

Stubbie, thanks for the link to PianoMonica's Canon in D rendition. I enjoyed several videos on her channel. It makes sense that a person with the passion needed to organize the quarterly recitals and stay with it, would be an accomplished musician. (Thank you to Monica K too.) The Canon in D arrangement that I am working on is more of a grade one version. I haven't seen the method book arrangements. Mine is in the key of D with 85% as one note melody line on the right hand, and single whole notes on the left hand. Even with this simple and shortened arrangement, I am playing it at quarter speed. Oh well, Canon in D is one of my all time favorites. I want to learn, even if I am starting with a very simple arrangement. Progress feels exceedingy slow.

Week 49: I find another arrangement of Misty Mountains Cold, from the Hobbit movie. This one has the lyrics that the dwarves sing in the movie. I find a YouTube tutorial from Susan Capestro that uses the D-flat major key to improvise New Age music. Fooling around with Db Ab eb db on the left hand (fingering is 5-3-1-2 for those that want to try it) gets me to something that sounds like meditation music. It is the four note arpeggio on the left, and single notes on the right hand. I have tried to play meditative music, but found it to be elusive, until now. The irony, is that with the fingerless gloves spanning Db to Db octave and Eb above it, is a chore and takes a lot of energy. To me the recording has the mood of falling rain, which is a good thing for meditation. For the curious, here is a link (Casio PX-150 set on vibraphone).
https://www.box.com/s/cazpz7k3todipcqkk2mg

Another thing I do is hook up the computer and Casio PX-150 for MIDI input. After some fiddling, I get it so that I can input notes into MuseScore using the keyboard. It feels like magic. I'm not sure how much I will do with it.

I attend a concert featuring Victor De Almeida on viola, Harout Senekeremian on piano. I could keep learning for a hundred years and still not play like Mr. Senekeremian does for Sonata for Viola and Piano by Arthur Benjamin, the piece is beyond difficult, and rarely performed.

It is three weeks until my piano anniversary. I have been thinking about that, and gathering thoughts about my one year adventure.

Have a good week everyone. Cheers.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Awwww, what a sweet dog, Farmgirl!

My cats wants his attention too when playing. And when he doesn't get it, he starts meowing. I need to program a meowing anti sound app for my iPad someday, heh. -.-

PattyP, interesting to record one hand en accompany the playback with the other hand. Smart!

Toastie, playing 15 minutes is good! That means you still have enough concentration to play.

Sand Tiger, the piano becomes more fun to play in time, so any piano anniversary is a good one!

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PattyP
Well, this isn't one of those "Eureka!" moments but just a tiny progression that makes all the fun of practicing so worth it.

I practice each hand separately before putting a piece together. In fact, since I have a DP and recording and playback are so easy, I record each hand alone and play the other hand along during playback. Last night I decided it was time to put the piece all together. So, I set the metronome waaaaay down, and had at it. Woot! Made it all the way through, albeit slowly, but with no mistakes and a great feeling of accomplishment. grin Now it's just a matter of bumping up the tempo a little till she's up to speed.

Ah, the little victories in life!

Okay, so the above was two days ago. At times like those I think to myself, “Golly, maybe I’m ready for that Tier One 7’ beauty I’ve been coveting for so long.” I have visions of sitting down at a really excellently prepared, visually stunning acoustic grand and melding body and soul into it as my fingers coax a most heavenly sound. It’s a lovely fantasy.

But then, reality sets in. Last night I sat down at my Kawai DP for a little late night piano tête-à-tête expecting something wonderful to happen. Well, something happened but it wasn’t wonderful. I couldn’t play to save my life! Even working the hands separately with my pre-recordings was a disaster. My playing was sorry, to say the least. All my lovely fantasies of a shimmering Tier One piano coming to life under my touch morphed into a tired, beat up, out of tune, landfill brute, effectively mocking my vision and me playing like a nightmarish specter.

Some days ya’ win ‘em, some days ya’ lose ‘em! smokin
[Linked Image]

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hey PattyP!
If you can afford it and have space for it, I think you're ready for it!

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Most of Chopin's Sonata No. 2 in Bb minor is way, way beyond my abilities, and probably always will be, but there is a pretty little section in the third movement that my teacher found that is very nice. It looks challenging but doable, with a lot of left hand movement doing arpeggios and a right hand melody with some interesting fingering and a few really long trills. It is funny because it is a nice little melodic section sandwiched in the middle of Chopin's famous funeral march, which is more than just a little bit somber.

At least I have three months to work on it.

Love this sonata! It is thrilling so thrilling- gives me shivers. Chopin's sonatas are truly epic! I'll never be able to play ANY of that Jim- nice to see you are learning a section- I hope you enjoy learning it.

I'm on Joy To The World by Handel ( one paged version in Alfred's)- I'm finding it quite hard (shows how low my level is......) but like the challenge. I think i'm improving though.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 02/17/13 07:24 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Pareto principle...sure that makes sense that it works with piano as well. I haven't had a lesson in weeks...work interferes with my Friday morning time slot. I've still be assigning myself challenges. Last week when I was at the Piano Celebration at the university I met a woman who teaches. We talked about what we're working on and I shared that I have picked up the level 2 book to accomplish those simpler pieces up to tempo (I'd never had even a little Mozart or Beethoven up to tempo). Her opinion: "can't be done, you can't accomplish speed as an adult". Taken aback I chose to disagree with her because I believe that with practice, correct technique and brain plasticity...anything (well almost) is possible. My accomplishment??? The Mozart Menuetto I in C Major is at 112 bpm. Whooohoooo. The Beethoven? It's in 2/4 time so only at half time so far. I think it's progress.

Wisebuff- so untrue- many adults have achieved- the brain keeps on making new pathways all the time if it gets used. You are so going to prove her wrong!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saranoya
And I'm with you, Cathy. I appreciate my teacher for more reasons than I can count (which is rather remarkable, given the fact that we've known each other for all of five months), but one of the main ones is that she has only ever told me "I believe you can do this."

I played a tiny, rather cute Mozart minuet at the Christmas recital (at 135 BPM, as written). She'd never heard me play it without some kind of mistake *somewhere* (I tend to be very nervous in class, with her as my audience of one, which leads to many mistakes I otherwise don't make), and yet she kept telling me I could do it. At the recital, I did do it, and I've been able to play that piece note-perfect, with or without an audience, ever since. That's largely because my teacher never stopped believing in me.

When I asked her if I could do the first movement of Moonlight, she said it wasn't exactly easy, but that we coud definitely work on it. And then last week, when I expressed my doubts about whether I'd be able to do the second movement, too, she said again: of course you can do it!

So if this woman we are talking about has adult piano students, I pity them. They'd be better off with someone who didn't have such preconceived notions about what adult learners can and can't do.

Brilliant!!! I've got an encouraging teacher as well- I was really tired when I had my last lesson and messed up a lot but he kept me going and gave me pieces to work on ( one lof them blues - yikes!) from Alfred's a few pages ahead that I find hard he but says I can learn them. Good job it's half term at the college I work at as I have LOADS to practise this week for this Friday.

Boo to the lady- I also hope she has no adult students!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
FarmGirl - your dog is funny and cute!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I (and my teacher) are really happy at the speed that I'm picking up the Chopin Nocturne in Eb. It's hardly performance ready but I can play the first two pages and some of it even sounds right wink

(Caveat: The third page has the hardest runs in the piece ...)

That is great Andy- I love this nocturne!

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Oh the piano party was so much fun. I wish I could share with you the whole evening in a movie format. Thanks to Mr. SH's suggestion, we asked each participants to share their piano journey with us after everyone's performance. It was a really good thing because we felt like we got to know each other quite well.

Sam captured all the audience (they were intently listening while he was playing). He received highly favorable compliments and some good advise from my highly accomplished guests. Three out of the eight guests have piano performance degrees. One has a doctorate. These are seriously wonderful compliments and sam should be proud of his accomplishments. I am very happy for him.

I'm not surprised that Mr. SH has an incredibly caring and sensitive side. But I was blown away by the sound he brings out of my piano. His music did not sound like a sheet music but rather spoken words, sound poem like. I felt his feelings coming directly through the notes. He could make the piano sound like guitar or harp many times. He has great control of his fingers. I cannot believe he had to overcome such bad hand injuries (ask him. I don't even want to write it here).

I played the first because I wanted to make myself available to look after our guests. It was funny that everyone praised my level of concentration. I discovered later that one of our guests tripped on the floor (there is a slight level difference) and fell on the floor during my performance. I had no idea. She was ok. I did not hear anything. I performed better than practice although there are tons of area of improvements. My teacher hugged me(smile).

Carey is something else. He could play anything. I liked his phrasing and I do think he us one of the few performers blessed with the "it factor". He captivates you and take you into his world which is very romantic (of course he was playing Chopin). He is putting together YouTube performance. I warned him he might get many marriage proposals - he laughed.

My teacher played Rachmaninoff piece I forgot the names. It's not his preludes but much more difficult piece. Obviously she has mastery and I may add gigantic hands to play Rach pieces. Anyway I did my best to describe the evening. I wish I knew how to include the link to my post I made in "forum members parties".

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I wish I knew how to include the link to my post I made in "forum members parties"

Party Link

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Thank you

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AOTW... playing in the recital!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
TallGuy, I can see why you won't submit your piece to the recital (unless you get it in right after performing for your wife!)....

I wound up submitting despite not performing it for her.

As I've mentioned in a prior post (somewhere or another), my wife actually doesn't like the song -- or actually, that's putting it not strongly enough -- she objects to it. From her perspective it says "sure, you could do lots of stuff to make yourself better, but you're OK enough as you are". So we talked about it, and she just doesn't want to hear it.

We had been doing this odd little dance over the past several months where she was saying she would like to hear it "maybe some day". It turns out that this was mostly because she felt bad about it and was worried that I would never do another song for her. I assured her this wasn't the case, and that I was ready to move on to another song at this point.

So, I double-checked and asked her specifically if she was OK with me posting it to the internet. She didn't "get it", meaning she didn't understand why I would want to share this with other people, but she was OK with it. I think she also didn't "get it" in the sense that she couldn't imagine why anyone would be interested in hearing me play, but here we all are! smile

That conversation was on Tuesday evening, so I had 48 hours to shop for cabling, re-learn how to record to Audacity, and do subsequent post-production noise reduction, and get a decent take -- and go to work and watch my kids in the evening, and so on. I had lots of technical problems, that wound up taking me down to the wire with literally 10 minutes to record, just enough to do a single take and listen to it and decide it would have to be good enough. Then I frantically tried to get rid of the hiss and jack up the volume in about 45 minutes, only succeeded on the hiss and not the volume.

Blech... sick ...but I did it and it was great to get that under my belt, and get some constructive feedback subsequently.

My 2nd AOTW is starting to arrange the next song and having it go so well. This is going waaaaay better than the 1st song around a year ago. I'm using MuseScore this time (which is amazing given that it is free) vs. a Finale trial version. I am now able to do in a couple days what took weeks previously.

Studying music theory has helped a lot. I can look at a chord that I know I can't manage (I can do an octave + a half-step, 9ths are possible but a real stretch) and I now have a clue about how to do an inversion or which note(s) to drop so it will sound less full but serve the same musical purpose. This is a big difference from a year ago. OK, not a piano AOTW per se, but related.

Thanks for everyone here on this thread... it's made a big difference to me to have this outlet in my "piano journey".

FarmGirl -- For all the hype, that "party" looked awfully tame. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl - Thanks for the update on the party. It looks and sounds like it was a great time!

Congratulations to everyone that did a recital submission! The music was all excellent listening!

I had my first lesson in two weeks. My teacher was conducting workshops in the US for the last two weeks. The good news is she was pleased with my progress on the Invention. It is memorized hands together and up to about 2/3 tempo. That bad news is I went TOO far on the Arabesque. Seems I am not getting the Debussy choreography very well yet. So, back to two measures at a time, and more work hand separately. Between the polyrhythms and the different slurs in the right and left hand it makes my brain hurt. Once again I ask myself why I have to be impatient and rush things. I know better!

So, I will count my progress on the Invention as an achievement of the week - particularly the endless trills. I had a lot of trouble getting them subdued enough so the leading hand melody could sing. That left hand trill was tough! Here is a funny. This is the one song my husband asked me to please practice with headphones. Played slowly the trill section can sound like nails on a blackboard. Someday I will have it to tempo and I will test it on him then!

Another Achievement: I walked into the glassed in showroom of the pricey grands and tried out a Steinway, a Fazoli, a Bösendorfer. and a Blüthner. I fell in love with the Blüthner. It was just what I want. Now if I just win the lottery...

Last edited by SwissMS; 02/18/13 12:39 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Another Achievement: I walked into the glassed in showroom of the pricey grands and tried out a Steinway, a Fazoli, a Bösendorfer. and a Blüthner. I fell in love with the Blüthner. It was just what I want. Now if I just win the lottery...
I think I could easily fall in love with any of those! And if you figure out how to win the lottery, let me know.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
A
A
Step 1: participate
Step 2: ...
Step 3: profit

(Sorry, I know, bad joke. Lotteries are actually a terrible investment, with a negative expected payout.)

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
FarmGirl it looks like your piano party was first class for talent. I have friends that used to be in Scottsdale, they have recently moved to a country house in Wickenburg.

AFA my AOTW I can now play the first 20 measures of the Canon in D with BH, it's says Tempo Andante Moderato but I play it at the present time about Tempo Amosey alongo! grin I'll get there though as I'm becoming obsessed with this piece. Especially after hearing PianoMonica and David Ganz (I think) play it. Now it's beginning to get a bit trickier in RH. I have a lesson tomorrow so I just hope I can present my progress so far with it and not embarrass myself too badly. blush

Also, I'm reviewing some older pieces for the recital my teacher has coming up for students soon.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations to all the players in the recital. The performances were very, very good. It is a lot of fun to watch everyone's progress. I hope the players know that for every person that leaves a comment in the recital thread, there are probably hundreds who listen and don't comment for one reason or another. Thanks for sharing with us.

Farmgirl, your party looks like it was a smash hit with all the players. Wow, what a talented group!! And I've got to tell you, even though I swore I wouldn't write about any individual performances this quarter because I don't have time to do them all..... Your Brahms was superb. I think your new teacher(s) are really helping you blossom as a player. How you do it with a full work and travel schedule is beyond me.

My AOTW is doing a little better playing from a fake book, something my teacher has been helping me with. We started out just doing some basic left hand chord patterns under the RH melody. Then we started altering the harmony a bit. And this week I've been just using RH to play both the harmony and melody at the same time. Once you can do this adding more harmony in LH makes it come out sounding so rich and full. Sure keeps your brain working trying to get to the chord changes on time with the right inversion and alteration needed to keep the melody notes on top. How jazzers do this on the fly in real time leaves me kind of speechless. Fun stuff.

Last edited by JimF; 02/18/13 06:51 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Tempo amosey alongo --- I love it! I think you should put that in your signature line Ragdoll!

Once again I've let things get out of hand - so many posts while I was focused on the recital!
The party at Farmgirl's place sounds like it was absolutely wonderful - we're going to really have to work on having an INTERNATIONAL party over here- We've got folks in Italy, France, Germany and Switzerland. Now, wouldn't that just make everyone very jealous of US smile ?
(I wish!).

FarmGirl, I love your dog Emma. I really do. She 's wonderful.

TallGuy - I'm sure you'll find a song to play for your wife - one that she actually likes smile

Sand Tiger - I've been watching the numbers creep up to your pianoversary smile you've really made some great progress this year!

SwissMS - I haven't played any Debussy, but I've looked at the scores and done a lot of listening - his stuff is just plain tricky! I think you are up to it - it is a challenge, but you'll do fine!

Patti - sometimes it is a real roller coaster - things come together beautifully one day and fall apart the next. As you progress you'll notice more of the coming together days than the falling apart days. Hang in there!

Jim - sounds like you're going to have a great time with some Chopin! That's really exciting!...EDITED to add since you posted as I was typing: and you're having fun with a fake book! Very cool. I don't know how "they" do it either, but I'm trying to learn!

EdwardianPiano - Joy to the World is one of my favourites - I have an arrangement I like from the Joy of Christmas book. I hope you have as much fun with it as I have been having.

I hope I haven't missed too many posts!!!

Today and yesterday I feel I have really got the swing of my baroque piece going at a great tempo (and how kind of everyone to not correct my mis-spelling of baroque in the past umpteen posts!!) It hit me yesterday that I'd been adding a c in before the q! bah!

Tomorrow I've got my lesson and if all goes well, I will FINALLY be launching into the Heller piece!

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/18/13 06:52 PM. Reason: added comment to JimF

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 190 of 540 1 2 188 189 190 191 192 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission