Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1895698 - 05/12/12 10:23 AM Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

for those nuclear musical scientists out there, I'm thrilled to submit this new advanced class on playing outside the changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVUj-a29mzI

Thank you all for your kind messages, and not-so kind messages:)

Blessings and keep swingin

Your pal

Dave Frank

Edited by davefrank (05/12/12 10:25 AM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1895731 - 05/12/12 11:52 AM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
See you next year!

#1897701 - 05/16/12 01:53 AM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
What wonderfully inventive stuff, Mr. Frank! You have another winner here.

Ed

#1899015 - 05/18/12 04:16 AM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for posting the lesson. I feel like one of the biggest problem with playing outside is using it in such a way that it's actually musical. I've noticed that a lot of people(myself included) have learned about outside playing from our teachers and/or from transcribing, but I feel like most of us struggle to use them in such a way that it's musically meaningful... For me the effort to play outside too contrived or forced. I also feel the same way about playing polyrhythms too.

I am saying this as someone who has probably done over 400+ pages of transcription in my lifetime and spent considerable time learning many solos note by note. It's one thing to learn the concept, but being able to do them and own these concept as yours seems like something else. For me it doesn't seem like learning any more concepts or transcribing will change the fact that I am not satisfied with how I play these ideas.

I guess my question is, what did it take your for these things to be your own musical language, rather than some concept you are trying to execute, and feeling like it's not really working like you intended?

Edit: Btw here are some superimpositions I use on F Blues

First four Bars

F-Locrian
F7sus Eb7sus|Db7sus B7sus|
F7sus Ab7sus|F#min7 B7sus|

Last 8 bars

Gmin7|Bb-7 Eb7|Dbmin7 F#7|Gmin7 C7
Gmin7|Bb-7 Eb7|Abmin7 Db7|Amin7 D7|

Edited by etcetra (05/18/12 04:40 AM)

#1899227 - 05/18/12 12:47 PM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: etcetra]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

It took 6 months behind bars (pun) at the Iowa Correctional Facility for Women.

Playing outside seems to work best I notice as a question of WHEN to go into it. That little guy in your head will give you the signal, after usually improvising normally for awhile, to head outside and play. If I catch the signal correctly, it seems to fit at that point..almost any outside system should work theoretically, and then you get the signal to go back inside..

DF

#1899394 - 05/18/12 05:32 PM Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: etcetra]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I would not presume to answer any question directed to Mr. Frank, but here is another observation, for whatever it might be worth:
One can "get away with" playing outside the chords more gracefully if the actual underlying harmonies are not as complex. Indeed, someone like Tyner makes great use of the technique where the basic chord changes are a little more static, to add additional interest.

This is one reason why a BASIC 12-bar blues seems an excellent place to learn the technique. I have a feeling if one is also adding complex alternate chords at the same time, we are going to lose "home base".
Ed

#1899664 - 05/19/12 01:36 AM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: davefrank
It took 6 months behind bars (pun) at the Iowa Correctional Facility for Women.

Playing outside seems to work best I notice as a question of WHEN to go into it. That little guy in your head will give you the signal, after usually improvising normally for awhile, to head outside and play. If I catch the signal correctly, it seems to fit at that point..almost any outside system should work theoretically, and then you get the signal to go back inside..

DF

Dave, thanks for the feedback. I think you have a great point. I do agree that it works best when it's spontaneous and the little guy in your head is telling you to go there naturally. It doesn't work so well when you force it to happen. I think part of the problem for me is becoming too excited/overly tense mentally.. I go too far and miss my signal to go back.

I guess it all comes down to doing(screwing up) enough on gigs until you can do it more fluently smile

#1967860 - 10/02/12 05:18 PM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dave,

I want to ask about those (block) chord clusters you played during uour Lennie Tristano workshop video. You plaid chord clusters over "What Is This Thing Called Love"
It sounds to me that you are usually playing 4 note close voicings. For example on the G-7b5 with a Db in the melody, you play the following chord tones F G Bb Db .
And when the the melody is a tension note (11,9 ,13) you still play the bottom 3 notes notes using G-7b5 chord tones rather than a diminished voicing like George Shearing would.
Am I correct?

Thank
rtc

#1967868 - 10/02/12 05:32 PM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

yes. Shearing would use the diminished on the non-chord melody notes, it's also possible to play the bottom notes of the basic 7th/voicing and futz around with the melodies/tensions based on what sounds good. Using the basic 7th tones /basic inversions is a good place to start. A good exercise is to take 4 meas. of a tune and try out as many possible combinations of melodies/chord clusters as you can think of, without playing in time. The top note/melody leads the thing.

DF

#1967898 - 10/02/12 06:45 PM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks again, Dave.

Which way were you doing it in the video over "What Is This Thing Called Love"

Were you moving the top note over the basic chord tones or were you alternating between the chord tone voicings and dim 7th vocings?

The "Shearing" method sounds more old fashioned to me.

#1967905 - 10/02/12 07:01 PM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

the first few minutes reminded me of nelson riddle's route 66 tv theme.. smile

#1967936 - 10/02/12 08:18 PM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: Bob Newbie]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

exactly, I agree, the diminished thing is a bit old fashioned..

DF

#1968016 - 10/02/12 10:58 PM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Thanks again, Dave. Out to the woodshed!

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1968033 - 10/02/12 11:21 PM Re: Playing Outside the Changes - Dave Frank new master class [Re: davefrank]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

you and me both

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (36251, Almaviva, alfredo capurso, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1490 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153614 Topics
2251406 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission