2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
So, the audition with the teacher has come and gone, I wanted to share the results for those who are interested, and to hear any interesting feedback.

Here is the original post:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...a%20Pianist%20who%20has.html#Post1879581

So, to describe the audition: in a word, I survived.

I arrived at his house, on a beautiful piece of land, overlooking a field with a forest at the end, a small pond nearby, and not another sign of human life to be seen. The teacher invited me in, he was very nice and unassuming. It is easy, based on his personality, to forget that he plays concerts all over the world and is a teacher at the University.

He started off by asking me about myself, how I came to move here, about my past with the piano. All very genuine, and I was feeling more and more comfortable by the minute.

Then time for the music. He said I could take a light warm-up on the piano, a nice Yamaha grand, before playing the music. I remembered reading something earlier about Richter. He gave many concerts on pianos of differing qualities throughout Russia. He said some of the best concerts he ever gave were on pianos of the worst condition. And he never liked to try them beforehand, he dove in and grappled with the spirit of the new piano on the fly, creating music while learning about his new partner.

I thought this sounded like a nice idea, and I didn't want to overanalyze about the qualities of this new piano. So I tapped out only a couple notes to hear the sound. Unfortunately, what works for Richter did not work for me.

I started off with the 1st Kinderszenen, a piece I have known for a couple years and am comfortable with. I had the usual nerves, but hoped they would disperse once I began playing, as they sometimes do.

After playing the first few notes, my nerves shot through the roof and would stay that way until the end of the audition. I'll tell you why. It seems that the action of the Yamaha is much heaver and much less sensitive than of my upright Sohmer. Playing the Kinderszenen, and needing to bring out the top melody relative to the other notes in the right hand, proved almost impossible! Sometimes I hit the key and no sound would come, then I would over compensate and was definitely no longer in piano.

I was concentrating on grappling so much with the piano, and was thrown off by its different feel, and this was interfering with my memory and muscle memory of playing the piece.

Nice of him to ask me if that was the way I had intended it. I mentioned I had trouble bringing out the top voice, and we worked on the singing tone for a while. Then on to the next, the 2nd movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight," he was surprised at the choice (used to the 1st movement I think). Here, similar problems with my control, and based on comments about my rushing through the piece, I think my nerves were so overwhelming that I lost concept of time, and could not relax and slow down.

Although I got through that piece, my attempts with Bach's C minor fugue were even more disappointing. I was stopped after only a handful of measures, my rushing and lack of control were not doing me any service. And I also began Beethoven's sonata op.28, but also didn't get very far in.

I don't know what he saw, but after hearing me play, he said he would accept me as a student. He said that many adults new to lessons have stiffness in the hands that is prohibitive, but my hands were relaxed and he said that he was encouraged on how far I'd come in the repertoire without help. When I expressed an interest also in chamber music, he seemed excited as he said most students are not interested, and I know he regularly performs chamber works as well as solo.

After the initial conversation, it was mostly a one-way interview, and I didn't get the chance (nor did I feel composed enough) to ask him about himself. I enjoyed his unassuming personality and his open-mindedness (when he asked me about my tempo on Moonlight M2, I said I felt it was a scherzo, and although he disagreed and felt it was more of a minuet, he did not try to impose his idea on me, and he seemed to appreciate my opinion).

So it looks like I'll be going back to study! If anyone has some thoughts or comments, I'd be happy to hear. My apologies for the length, thanks for reading this far...

Last edited by MellowCypriot; 05/16/12 10:57 PM.
Performance anxiety aside, what a lovely experience! I'm so happy for you. Do let us know how your ongoing studies are from time to time; I'm sure we would all love to hear it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No problem with the length at all. I loved hearing about your experience. It seems like you've found a teacher you can relate to -- that can be very rare. Best of luck in the future.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for inviting us into a nerve-wracking audition. But he sounds like a nice enough fellow, and you'll slowly get more used to his piano. Bravo on your first meeting, and bravo that you are going to give this a try. Keep us posted.

A
A
You painted the exact picture of what I went through in my early piano exams. Trust me, it will only get better from here on. Best of luck with your study.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I suspect your nerves will improve once you get to know him better.

Also, I suspect your opinion of his piano will change as well. As long as the piano is well maintained, the differences you feel are not a problem with HIS piano. The action on the Yamaha will give you more control, not less, once you get used to it.

R
R
I am sure he accounted for your nervousness. Good luck with your studies.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you to everyone who read and commented. I was surprised and humbled by all the replies!

And as a 'P.S.,' I hope you'll be entertained by a few bloopers that I neglected to mention. One, requesting that I play a scale, so of course I played the C major (two hands, 3 octaves). Then, 'can you play any starting on the black keys?' I tried the b-flat major scale, and fell flat (no pun intended I promise) on my face.

Then there was the surprise sight-reading exercise. I very rarely sight read. "Do you think you could play this?" "I'll try..." It was a deceptive waltz-looking piece from around 1900. With complicated rhythms and strange harmonics. And when I tried to study it beforehand, he told me to go ahead and play! This, also, a flop.

Looking forward to my future lessons, however...

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Congrats MellowCyrpriot!

I recently found a teacher as well. A professor at a conservatoire, I'm pretty lucky she squeezes in time for me and her Steinway L is magnificent. I meet with her about twice a month, depending on when I polish off certain etudes or pieces.

How often do you plan on meeting with your teacher? Having a teacher is great, really sets some long term goals plus its a treat to play on top tier pianos.

Last edited by Rui725; 05/23/12 03:08 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
It sounds like we have similar situations. It must be a thrill to play on the Steinway. The piano I play on for lessons is a Yamaha grand...produces a beautiful, big rich sound that I'm still learning to harness.

I'm planning to meet with my teacher every two weeks also. At first I thought I couldn't accomplish enough in two weeks to warrant a lesson. But after the audition, and then my first lesson, went by so fast, I feel that every two weeks seems like the right time.

I'm learning to shift my focus on how I practice and give sharp focus throughout the entire time learning the piece, not only at the end after I have memorized and have a comfort with the piece. And also, to slow down...

Originally Posted by Rui725
Congrats MellowCyrpriot!

I recently found a teacher as well. A professor at a conservatoire, I'm pretty lucky she squeezes in time for me and her Steinway L is magnificent. I meet with her about twice a month, depending on when I polish off certain etudes or pieces.

How often do you plan on meeting with your teacher? Having a teacher is great, really sets some long term goals plus its a treat to play on top tier pianos.

Originally Posted by MellowCypriot
...He started off by asking me about myself, how I came to move here, about my past with the piano. All very genuine, and I was feeling more and more comfortable by the minute.

That was all a good sign right off the bat.

....He said I could take a light warm-up on the piano, a nice Yamaha grand, before playing the music. I remembered reading something earlier about Richter.....he never liked to try them beforehand, he dove in and grappled with the spirit of the new piano on the fly, creating music while learning about his new partner....
what works for Richter did not work for me.

There's nothing to lose by trying the piano a little bit first if you have the chance. Even if it might "work" for a lot of people not to do it (and indeed it would), there's nothing to lose by doing it, and most of them would take the opportunity even if they felt they didn't really need it. As for Richter, apparently it wasn't just that it "worked" for him not to do it, it was that for whatever reason he disliked doing it. I think that's just a bit odd. It's good to have a piece or two (or 3) smile that you customarily use for trying a piano, and good for them to be comfortable pieces.

....the action of the Yamaha is much heaver and much less sensitive than of my upright Sohmer. Playing the Kinderszenen, and needing to bring out the top melody relative to the other notes in the right hand, proved almost impossible!....

I had an upright Sohmer too, and I know what you mean. Upright actions in general are lighter, and in fact just different; it's a different kind of apparatus. Did you have the opportunity to practice at all on grands in advance?

This raises another point about preparing for playing on 'strange' pianos, which is that it helps to have given yourself some experience with the pieces on various different pianos. Every piano is a bit different, and it will feel at least a little different on a strange piano. If you're only used to playing it on one piano, you can really be thrown when you go on a different piano in a pressure situation, and not just because of getting nervous on the unfamiliar kind of piano but because your entire physical approach to the piece has been based on the single piano. When you play on various pianos, you learn to play with your ear as much as with your hands, and you learn to make your hands function flexibly at the service of your ear. And that's not just something that's helpful for playing on a different piano, it's musicianship.

But, even though you had a hard time with it and even though he could tell that it wasn't how you wanted to play it, I think we can be quite certain that he was able to tell basically how you play, which was the main point. I think many of us (especially us amateurs) don't realize the extent to which we show the same basic essence of our ability no matter how it goes in a specific instance. I don't mean there's no difference between screwing up and not screwing up, or being in shape or not being in shape, just that basically the same essence comes through -- provided we're talking about an experienced and knowledgeable listener like this teacher.

I don't know what he saw, but after hearing me play, he said he would accept me as a student.

He saw who you are and basically how you play, and it was good. smile

After the initial conversation, it was mostly a one-way interview, and I didn't get the chance (nor did I feel composed enough) to ask him about himself.

As some of us said, we expected that's how it would be. I think it's typical. When we see a new teacher for an audition, I don't think we usually ask him about himself; we figure he's just what we see, and whatever we happen to know.

Then there was the surprise sight-reading exercise.....This, also, a flop.

No it wasn't. He was taking inventory, and he saw what you can do. But it didn't matter, since you had already succeeded!

Regard it just like that weird final "experimental" section of the SAT. ha
(Or at least it used to be the final section, dunno if it still is....)

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by MellowCypriot
So, the audition with the teacher has come and gone, I wanted to share the results for those who are interested, and to hear any interesting feedback.

Here is the original post:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...a%20Pianist%20who%20has.html#Post1879581

So, to describe the audition: in a word, I survived.

I arrived at his house, on a beautiful piece of land, overlooking a field with a forest at the end, a small pond nearby, and not another sign of human life to be seen. The teacher invited me in, he was very nice and unassuming. It is easy, based on his personality, to forget that he plays concerts all over the world and is a teacher at the University.

He started off by asking me about myself, how I came to move here, about my past with the piano. All very genuine, and I was feeling more and more comfortable by the minute.

Then time for the music. He said I could take a light warm-up on the piano, a nice Yamaha grand, before playing the music. I remembered reading something earlier about Richter. He gave many concerts on pianos of differing qualities throughout Russia. He said some of the best concerts he ever gave were on pianos of the worst condition. And he never liked to try them beforehand, he dove in and grappled with the spirit of the new piano on the fly, creating music while learning about his new partner.

I thought this sounded like a nice idea, and I didn't want to overanalyze about the qualities of this new piano. So I tapped out only a couple notes to hear the sound. Unfortunately, what works for Richter did not work for me.

I started off with the 1st Kinderszenen, a piece I have known for a couple years and am comfortable with. I had the usual nerves, but hoped they would disperse once I began playing, as they sometimes do.

After playing the first few notes, my nerves shot through the roof and would stay that way until the end of the audition. I'll tell you why. It seems that the action of the Yamaha is much heaver and much less sensitive than of my upright Sohmer. Playing the Kinderszenen, and needing to bring out the top melody relative to the other notes in the right hand, proved almost impossible! Sometimes I hit the key and no sound would come, then I would over compensate and was definitely no longer in piano.

I was concentrating on grappling so much with the piano, and was thrown off by its different feel, and this was interfering with my memory and muscle memory of playing the piece.

Nice of him to ask me if that was the way I had intended it. I mentioned I had trouble bringing out the top voice, and we worked on the singing tone for a while. Then on to the next, the 2nd movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight," he was surprised at the choice (used to the 1st movement I think). Here, similar problems with my control, and based on comments about my rushing through the piece, I think my nerves were so overwhelming that I lost concept of time, and could not relax and slow down.

Although I got through that piece, my attempts with Bach's C minor fugue were even more disappointing. I was stopped after only a handful of measures, my rushing and lack of control were not doing me any service. And I also began Beethoven's sonata op.28, but also didn't get very far in.

I don't know what he saw, but after hearing me play, he said he would accept me as a student. He said that many adults new to lessons have stiffness in the hands that is prohibitive, but my hands were relaxed and he said that he was encouraged on how far I'd come in the repertoire without help. When I expressed an interest also in chamber music, he seemed excited as he said most students are not interested, and I know he regularly performs chamber works as well as solo.

After the initial conversation, it was mostly a one-way interview, and I didn't get the chance (nor did I feel composed enough) to ask him about himself. I enjoyed his unassuming personality and his open-mindedness (when he asked me about my tempo on Moonlight M2, I said I felt it was a scherzo, and although he disagreed and felt it was more of a minuet, he did not try to impose his idea on me, and he seemed to appreciate my opinion).

So it looks like I'll be going back to study! If anyone has some thoughts or comments, I'd be happy to hear. My apologies for the length, thanks for reading this far...

He sounds like a kind person and genuinely interested in sharing what he knows. It sounds, too, as if he understands that the technique of piano playing is different from the technique of performing, two different disciplines. Obviously, we can show what we know about piano technique through our performance, but if something prevents us from performing well, then what we know about the piano remains hidden. Hopefully he'll be able to show you more about the ins and outs of both.

If what you were dealing with was nerves, a better understanding of how to produce the effects you want will go a long way toward reducing performance anxiety. There's no substitute for knowing how you do what you do.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission