2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Just spoke to a nearby Yamaha dealer about the new Yamaha NU1 Hybrid. He checked prices with Yamaha and apparently the MSRP in the US will be $5499, and his store plans to sell it for $3999.

For reference, this same dealer yesterday offered me an AvantGrand N3 for $11,000, including delivery & setup (MSRP ~$20k).

AvantGrand N3
T
TXT Offline
T
Hi,

I did not look into the NU1 and so I do not have comment on it, but the N3 is offered at US$11K? I presume the N3 that being offered is brand new, isn't it? If so, I guess the N3 market is not doing so well.

Thanks for the info.

-txt

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
$3,999? That's a pretty decent price actually. Puts it in a similar price bracket as the Kawai CA93 for example. Even though it's an upright action, I can see a lot of people finding it to be a more authentic action than Kawai's RM3. I do like the RM3, but I can still feel when that the action has been miniaturised in some respects. A quality genuine upright action still comes out a little in front, IMO. It really comes down to how it sounds in terms of the overall battle.

K
K
$11,000 for an N3?? The store can't be making any money with that price, rather loosing I would think. Sounds like a used price to me. That's about $2300 more than what I paid for my N1 (converted from Norwegian kroner). If new, maybe it's been standing in the store for quite some time (IMO the N3 caters to a very limited crowd), and the store owner wants to change up his inventory. If so, I would buy the N3 in a heartbeat (if it looks and plays well) for that price!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NoticeofAppeal
Just spoke to a nearby Yamaha dealer about the new Yamaha NU1 Hybrid. He checked prices with Yamaha and apparently the MSRP in the US will be $5499, and his store plans to sell it for $3999.

For reference, this same dealer yesterday offered me an AvantGrand N3 for $11,000, including delivery & setup (MSRP ~$20k).

Which dealer exactly?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by TXT
I did not look into the NU1 and so I do not have comment on it, but the N3 is offered at US$11K? I presume the N3 that being offered is brand new, isn't it? If so, I guess the N3 market is not doing so well.

The N3 price is new (not used) but it is a floor model. I'm not going to identify the dealer, at least yet, because we're still pondering the N3 deal, as opposed to the NU1.

AvantGrand N3
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by ando
$3,999? That's a pretty decent price actually. Puts it in a similar price bracket as the Kawai CA93 for example. Even though it's an upright action, I can see a lot of people finding it to be a more authentic action than Kawai's RM3. I do like the RM3, but I can still feel when that the action has been miniaturised in some respects. A quality genuine upright action still comes out a little in front, IMO. It really comes down to how it sounds in terms of the overall battle.

I think you are exactly right, in that the price positions the NU1 almost directly against the CA93. Not having played the NU1, it's hard to know how the upright action compares against the RM3, or how the sound compares, but I'd imagine it would be a pretty decent alternative.

Last edited by NoticeofAppeal; 05/16/12 05:14 PM.

AvantGrand N3
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yamaha in the UK apparently does not let its dealers sell the floor model and a discount of more the 10% on the AG is not allowed. Obviously it must happen but Yamaha takes a dim view of it and I've been told they would remove the AG franchise from dealers selling at low prices. I'm all for getting a good deal but dealers that sell at or below cost are irresponsible and not in the long run serving anyone's needs. There has got to be some profit in selling these things otherwise there will be no dealers - and we would all be the poorer for that.

$3,999 for the NU-1 and $11,000 for the N3 are absurdly low prices if you ask me.

T
TXT Offline
T
I would consider floor model as used, wouldn't you? Note that the AG line has been out for almost 4 years, and every customer is curious to try it out day in and day out.

-Txt

Last edited by TXT; 05/16/12 06:42 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I should clarify and say that Yamaha insists there's always a floor model AG on display for customers to play so I don't know what sense it could make for a shop to sell the floor model knowing it would immediately have to unpack a brand new one and put it out into the floor. It is also the case that the N1 can be sold by retailers that wouldn't get the N2 or N3 - there are many more N1 dealers than N2 or N3. When I was looking for mine there was only 11 AG dealers in the UK (this was before N1 was launched).

W
W
Originally Posted by TXT
I would consider floor model as used, wouldn't you? Note that the AG line has been out for almost 4 years, and every customer is curious to try it out day in and day out.

-Txt

For a lot of things, I would consider a floor model worse than used. I have seen some really beat up items in stores. Often a well cared for item that is owned by someone for a while is in better shape than a floor model that is not as old.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Yamaha in the UK apparently does not let its dealers sell the floor model and a discount of more the 10% on the AG is not allowed. Obviously it must happen but Yamaha takes a dim view of it and I've been told they would remove the AG franchise from dealers selling at low prices. I'm all for getting a good deal but dealers that sell at or below cost are irresponsible and not in the long run serving anyone's needs. There has got to be some profit in selling these things otherwise there will be no dealers - and we would all be the poorer for that.

$3,999 for the NU-1 and $11,000 for the N3 are absurdly low prices if you ask me.

I agree 100% on your points Steve. This is the same reason why I buy from my local dealer even though it costs me more. I like supporting dealers who will service the product as well as give me a store front to walk into. I bought my Nords and 2 Rolands from mom and pop shops, plus my AvantGrand was purchased right here in Nashville,

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My N2 was a floor model and the savings more than $1000 was more than enough reason to go with it. As long as it's not a mall store I don't see the problem. Most reputable music stores don't let free-style banging on their pianos.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
K
K
It makes you wonder though, the list price of N3 here in Norway is nearly $23000 (converted from Norw. kroner). If an American store can sell it for well below half that price with profits, something is very wrong (probably EU customs and greedy importers).

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
I like supporting dealers who will service the product as well as give me a store front to walk into.

Absolutely right. I bought my Nord online because there was no one local but the MP10 was a local purchase from a well established shop. If I have a problem with it I know I'll be supported - and within reason I'm prepared to pay for that peace of mind.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In the US, the dealer doesn't seem to be connected to service.

My only visit to the dealer's shop was when I purchased the piano. The dealer does no service at all. Instead, there are independent service shops that handle Yamaha repairs.

How is support offered in the UK? Only through the dealer?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I had a little issue with my N3 and I called the dealer. They called Yamaha and Yamaha sorted it. In other circumstances I could've got in touch with Yamaha direct but I think the dealer should do all that kind of stuff on my behalf. The dealers I used for AG and the MP10 are old established firms that I'm sure would like to be regarded as providing a top quality service to their customers - both have that reputation and that's what you buy into when you buy from a local store in my opinion.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I should clarify and say that Yamaha insists there's always a floor model AG on display for customers to play so I don't know what sense it could make for a shop to sell the floor model knowing it would immediately have to unpack a brand new one and put it out into the floor. It is also the case that the N1 can be sold by retailers that wouldn't get the N2 or N3 - there are many more N1 dealers than N2 or N3. When I was looking for mine there was only 11 AG dealers in the UK (this was before N1 was launched).

It can make some sense in some cases with some manufacturers on some products.
e.g. where manufacturers "control" pricing a floor or demo model can be sold as "used".
I don't know if or how this works in the music biz, though my general impression is that there is little/no manufacturer control of retail pricing.

We like "deals", floor models can appear to be better deals than "still in the box" deals, even if the bottom line price is about the same.
Much to do with perceptions and impulse buying, but we walk into the store voluntarily (-:

TOPIC TANGENT ALERT:
I do know a more or less local (to me) motorcycle dealer who sells bikes with 4 or 5 miles on them as "used" to get around manufacturer price controls, but these are really pre delivery test miles on dealer plates, the bikes are not previously owned or registered.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
In the US, the dealer doesn't seem to be connected to service.

My only visit to the dealer's shop was when I purchased the piano. The dealer does no service at all. Instead, there are independent service shops that handle Yamaha repairs.

You make a good point about not getting service (or, lack of it) as when I had my Kawai CA95 adjusted for several minor issues the local dealer sent their own technician and this guy didn't seem to know what he was doing.

Now that I own Yamaha and Roland digitals I have technicians from two different places (not related to the dealer) that can service the pianos as they are legitimate and can do repairs.

Don't just assume your dealer has certified techs!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission