2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
When someone sets themselves up as a 'Digital Piano Teacher' offering 'free advice', and then goes on to totally misunderstand the concept of 'Duet' versus 'Dual mode', that's where they lose all credibility in my view.

(and before you ask, I have been playing digitals, analogs, synths and work-stations, since the mid 70's, in both live band and teaching situations)

Rob
OP Offline
Wow, toddy took the words out of my...head.

He's exactly right. Speaks sooth. Also, he did something that perhaps I can do if I can recall everything I've had.

Started with a Conn organ in the mid 60's, ending with the Conn Theaterette.

For years then I didn't have an instrument.

In 1978 I purchased a Wurlitzer "Butterfly Grand" and a Hammond A100 organ. I played the Wurlitzer until I basically broke it in 1988. I sold the Hammond as it didn't do as much as I had hoped.

I then started playing a Yamaha Clavinova, a CVP 6, which I both practiced on and played professionally to thousands until I sold it in 1998.

Meanwhile, I also added a batch of Yamaha keyboards, Casio keyboards, and a Roland JP3 synth. I also used on stage two "keytars" (a word I simply hate, thinking of them as "strap-ons" and yes, I do know what that means online!) a Yamaha KX5 attached to first a Yamaha FB01 module and currently a Yamaha TX81G (both via MIDI as the KX5 has no sounds, and then a Yamaha SHS-10, which had sounds but "mini-keys" which took me awhile to learn.

I then got an Ensoniq ESQ1 and a Roland HS10 (I believe this was the designation, but alert users can correct me if I'm wrong.)

My first synth, around the time of marriage, was an Akai my finance played.

Damn, I'm out of sequence here.

Somewhere in there was a Yamaha Clavinova CVP 203, a Yamaha Clavinova CVP 303, a Casio Privia, a Yamaha pf50 (run through a Berringer kb amp) and my current axes, a Yamaha DGX-640 and a Yamaha PSRS900. I still own the KX5, as well as a Clavoline (the synth used in Del Shannon's song "Runaway")

I am definitely a Yamaha man, as I find their user interface more friendly (although some models more than others) and their touch more acceptable to me. I do not care for the Roland approach to either item and think Casio again makes good instruments, although for awhile there they did not.

I'm sure I've missed some keyboards but if they come back to me, I'll post them. If anyone wants to sing their praises, well, I myself loved them one and all (although I loved some more than others, natch!)and will gladly listen to what you have to say!

Dan Starr
Helping older folks be happier!
OP Offline
Oh, yeah, just re-reading my post. During the 60's the Conn was the home instrument, but the one I played in the rock band with was a Farfisa "Mini-Compact." Great for it's day, but it surely sound lousy modernly.

Dan Starr
OP Offline
Now to tell readers of something they couldn't possibly know. I did get a private message from the poster that originally asked about FOUR things. He told me that I should apologize for "mis-understanding" his statement about "duet" vs. "dual." I went to the new keyboard he was purchasing manual and found no button marked "Duet" just "split" which I am familiar with. Wasn't sure where he had found that word, and since he had mentioned owning a previous Yamaha (a brand I'm very familiar with where the word "Dual" is used) I assumed he had mis-typed as so many Internet posters do. I asked him and he told me that the Duet word had come from the PR Casio had provided to convince him to buy. Okay. Ya learn something new every day. Of course, I've always insisted that terms change (they do, folks, and for an example the Roland companies has gone back and forth a number of times in the their synth terminology.) Thus, a person who buy an instrument must at the least read the definitions of what that make and model are calling what. As another example, the various sounds are called "voices" by Yamaha, "tones" by Casio, and "programs" by Korg. Confusing? You betcha.

So I stand corrected. Still, the original guy figured it would all go away if I apologized. I didn't think so and told him that I wouldn't apologize just to keep the peace. Besides, as the last poster proved, it wouldn't work anyhow. Some folks just want me to go away. Hey, they even said so. Too bad, I'm here to stay and can mix it up if ya want to. I have creds most of these people can't comprehend. For example, I was the Tech Support guy for digital pianos for a local dealer of Kawai and Yamaha DP's.

Also, you'll note that only 25% of what I recommended originally is even under dispute. This should give anyone come pause. Why fixate on that? Plus, as I've said, "advice" is simply "advice" and you can take it or leave it. I'm offering for free. Apparently, that's not good enough for some people, and they simply insult (read any of "Broken Chords" posts lately? - he's the fool who tells me my personality is lousy and I should go away.) Ain't gonna happen. Also, another that wishes to not take my advice is welcome to not take it.

Dan Starr
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Dan Starr
Want to know how to use your digital piano or portable keyboard? I've taught these things for 24 years, as well as performed with them extensively. Chances are I can help. Cost? ZERO. I just want to help.

I'd like to go back to the original post, because I think it has led to some confusion - and a lot of heat, which has been the fate of a number of threads lately.

"Want to know how to use your digital piano or portable keyboard?"

Unfortunately, although the OP presumably knew what aspects of DP use he was referring to, the question is so broad as to invite a lot of other questions.

Later on, the "use" seems to be refined to how to play the different styles associated with mimicking particular genres of instruments, such as strings - although it's still not absolutely clear that's the essence of what's intended.

Then the OP states a preference for Yamaha over Roland and Casio, so the question arises as to whether someone with a Casio, for example, will not be covered.

What would be really useful is if the OP could state clearly the areas of keyboard/DP use he can help with, and then readers will be able to decide whether to avail themselves of his services. It's a generous offer to provide a free service, but for it to work, people need to know what exactly is on offer.

Last edited by voxpops; 05/18/12 12:35 PM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I don't know why you make such a big deal of the 'free advice' thing.

Everyone on this forum gives freely of their time and expertise, but no-one here feels the need to shout that from the rooftops.

You have much to learn about how this place operates.(no charge)

Rob
OP Offline
Yes, I'm learning that Pianoworld has many assholes who post regularly. They disparage folks and try everything they can to make sure they go away. Too bad for you.

Dan Starr
OP Offline
voxpops made a reasonable post. His/her suggestion was pretty good. Exactly what do I teach?

Well, since 1987 I've taught whatever keyboard a person owned. There were many: I prefer Yamahas for my own use, but the essence of my teaching is to try and help older folks learn to make their favorite music using the keyboard they own, whether acoustic piano, digital piano, keyboard, organ, etc. This varies immensely: I'll provide a couple short examples to illustrate:

1. Student A: A retired gentleman who played flute in an orchestra for over 10 years. He simply wanted to play some big band tunes using "Single-finger mode" (which I discourage most of the time) and a single note melody. He had been doing this using a Casio but now he had purchased a Yamaha (with zero help from me) and wanted to know how this new keyboard worked. He learned how to make himself and his wife happy.
2. Student B: Business owner lady who owned a Roland Fantom 6. She had already had extensive piano training and could play that but wanted to know how to play in a band. I taught her to do so.

Yeah, I do charge for my local services. At Pianoworld I offer these things for free. As I have some unique skills (next thing will be somebody asking me to list them - too lazy to plug my name into google I guess) this seems like something someone might want. I know I've made a fulltime living at this for 24 years and if you know adults they don't stick unless the service is good enough for the price.

Dan Starr
M
M
Now to tell readers of something they couldn't possibly know. I did get a private message from the poster that originally asked about FOUR things. He told me that I should apologize for "mis-understanding" his statement about "duet" vs. "dual." I went to the new keyboard he was purchasing manual and found no button marked "Duet" just "split" which I am familiar with. Wasn't sure where he had found that word, and since he had mentioned owning a previous Yamaha (a brand I'm very familiar with where the word "Dual" is used) I assumed he had mis-typed as so many Internet posters do. I asked him and he told me that the Duet word had come from the PR Casio had provided to convince him to buy. Okay. Ya learn something new every day. Of course, I've always insisted that terms change (they do, folks, and for an example the Roland companies has gone back and forth a number of times in the their synth terminology.) Thus, a person who buy an instrument must at the least read the definitions of what that make and model are calling what. As another example, the various sounds are called "voices" by Yamaha, "tones" by Casio, and "programs" by Korg. Confusing? You betcha.

So I stand corrected. Still, the original guy figured it would all go away if I apologized. I didn't think so and told him that I wouldn't apologize just to keep the peace. Besides, as the last poster proved, it wouldn't work anyhow...

I am the person who had the private conversation with Dan and something about Dan's paraphrasing of our conversation just does not sit right with me so I will put my response below, I will not put Dan's responses because it is a private post. Dan has removed himself from that private conversation.

1st post "Dan I am the person that originally responded to your post. Thanks for the offer, I am new to DP and want to get the best out for the for my kids. As for the tone of the other posts I am not going to go there you are all adults but I will make a simple unbiased observation that your description of duet was incorrect and a simple admission of that will kill that topic.

As to the other bone of contention it is all about your statement "If possible, don't take any teacher that only knows the "blacks and whites." if that is truly what you meant go for it I do not have any problems with it, but if you meant to say " If possible, it would be best to take a teacher that only knows ......" then just make the correction.

Thanks for your offer and your post and don't worry about the tone, just have fun with it."

2nd post " OK it is clear the you are going to continue on regardless, but just to be clear, I did not mis-speak, when referring to Duet, it is a common word I have seen in the research I have done and it was quoted by Casio in their description of the Casio ap 620 as in the following link. You assumed I meant Dual and that assumption was incorrect. I think it is great if you stick to your guns about your views on DP's and shake things up but it is questionable to defend an obvious mistake.
http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_%26_Keyboards/CELVIANO_Digital_Pianos/AP-620/ "

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Thank you for explaining, Dan. I'd like to suggest that if you wish people to visit your site and possibly make use of your paid services, you post a link (unless it's already in your profile - I haven't checked). I've checked the rules, and open advertising is not allowed but you can place your site in your signature. The suggestion that members may be too lazy to Google your name could prove counterproductive.

As for the free service on Piano World, I suspect that you would need to make it clear how that would operate - by question and answer on an open thread? - by PM? - some other method?

Last edited by voxpops; 05/18/12 12:53 PM.

mabraman, 2015
OP Offline
voxpops -

Since I came here I have been attacked and am only defending myself. They say a the best defense is a smashing offense and I've found that to be true. I notice that some have shut up as they should. Thus, my "laziness" comment only applies if it applies. "If the shoe fits, wear it." is the old saying on this one. As I've aged, I've found that there's a good reason "old sayings" are "old."

I don't really care whether folks visit my site, buy my ebooks, etc. They can simply do as I suggested - post their questions and I'll answer them to the best of my ability "pro bono." As this is online stuff, it behooves the recipient to "take what they want and leave the rest." Plus, the whole process, if the recipient wants, can be public, private, whatever they wish. I don't actually give a rip. I'll help cause that's what I want to do.

However, for those that wish to have a firefight, ya picked the wrong dude this time. I notice that voxpops made reference to several threads ending acrimoniously. This leaves me to wonder if the same folks aren't responsible. If I was concerned I'd check that.

Dan Starr
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I hear what you're saying, Dan, but a smashing offense is probably not going to win hearts and minds, especially when it's the follow-up to a first post. People here are generally a great bunch - not "assholes." Sure we get heated from time to time as we're all passionate about the subject, but we try to maintain a respectful tone.

In the past there have been one or two people who have popped up suddenly and their main intent seems to have been to feed an alternate agenda - be it sales or anything else. That hasn't gone down too well. As in the "real world", people need to get to know and trust new or newly-posting members. If you'd like an old saying: softly, softly, catchy monkey.

mabraman, 2015
B
B
This guy loves to fight people with insults and has a bad habit of asserting his intelligence over everyone else on this forum.

NOBODY has attacked you, actually. When someone had something to say about your posts (myself included..which was actually a simple question), you immediately started attacking whoever the poster was. Don't try to play innocent, we can see it in every post that you have an attitude problem. You think you are never wrong which is why you had the issue in the first place. You also called another posted "kid" as if to marginalize his opinion and his intelligence on the subject matter.

Most of the time, we all get along on this site. I enjoy being here and I comment on threads regularly. Its very odd that you accuse other people of throwing dirt at you when no such thing happened until after you started to be mean and nasty with EVERYONE. Your ego is obviously wounded at this point as you continue this attitude that the only problem on this forum is everyone else and not you.

Why would you refuse to apologize to someone if you were wrong? You won't do it to keep the peace? Is this a contest to see who can stomp their feet the hardest? If you are wrong, just admit that you are wrong.

"Do unto others as you want to be done unto you", I think the saying goes.

maclum,

As for the various features, here's my take (at the risk of p****** off somebody else who is just looking for trouble!) Obviously, there's much more that could be said here about each feature but I'll simply write a short paragraph about each. You are welcome to contact me privately for more info.

Yes, I'm learning that Pianoworld has many a******* who post regularly. They disparage folks and try everything they can to make sure they go away. Too bad for you.

(Quote edited with *'s)

Easy on the vulgarity!

Last edited by Keegan; 05/20/12 12:19 AM.

Kawai CA-65, AKG K702, M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Pianoteq, VI Labs Ravenscroft
Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
OP Offline
Hmmm...I don't wish to "win hearts and minds" of everyone here as obviously that is not possible. Thus, I believe I will keep defending myself strongly. Those that attack will be attacked back. Oh, they will whine and gripe and try to convince me to quit, to simply knuckle under. That's the source of any "vulgarity." It's easy to say this when you are not the person who is coming under fire.

Some will want some help and if I help one, that is great. I don't suggest anyone leave, I don't suggest anyone has a "lousy personality" (as someone said about me a few posts ago in an attempt to deliver a crushing blow.) I DO suggest that folks think a bit.

Dan Starr
B
B
Hmmm...I don't wish to "win hearts and minds" of everyone here as obviously that is not possible. Thus, I believe I will keep defending myself strongly. Those that attack will be attacked back. Oh, they will whine and gripe and try to convince me to quit, to simply knuckle under. That's the source of any "vulgarity." It's easy to say this when you are not the person who is coming under fire.

Some will want some help and if I help one, that is great. I don't suggest anyone leave, I don't suggest anyone has a "lousy personality" (as someone said about me a few posts ago in an attempt to deliver a crushing blow.) I DO suggest that folks think a bit.

Okay, please show us where you have come under fire? If you must create such a scenario, I'd like to see exactly where you have been attacked so we all can get together and write you an apology note.

Please show us where you have been bruised and beaten.

OP Offline
Okay, I was just thinking of putting out an olive branch and seeing how it was accepted. Then I get this somewhat loaded email. Still, it's a good suggestion. As this is your post, I'll simply give you back YOUR most egregious example (one that is readily available on page 4 of this thread:)

"No wonder this guy joined the forum in 2007 and hasn't made a meaningful post yet. Your personality sucks, please go away. You accuse others of flamebaiting but you are in here throwing poop at people who have different opinions than you do."

Now I gotta ask you - I provide some service which readers can accept or reject. I also defend myself when folks tell me "your personality sucks" and then tell me "please go away." Now I've had some negative things to say about you, but I never said anything like that. My comment that one person thought contained "vulgarity" was only after you said what you said.

Actually, I do think I deserve an apology for that comment. It was ill-advised on your part. And what about the other things I've said? Do you agree with them or not? You haven't commented. Do I get any credit for what you agree with? I'd surely hope so, as no one is perfect and the good and bad is almost always weighed.

Dan Starr
B
B
Okay, I was just thinking of putting out an olive branch and seeing how it was accepted. Then I get this somewhat loaded email. Still, it's a good suggestion. As this is your post, I'll simply give you back YOUR most egregious example (one that is readily available on page 4 of this thread:)

"No wonder this guy joined the forum in 2007 and hasn't made a meaningful post yet. Your personality sucks, please go away. You accuse others of flamebaiting but you are in here throwing poop at people who have different opinions than you do."

Now I gotta ask you - I provide some service which readers can accept or reject. I also defend myself when folks tell me "your personality sucks" and then tell me "please go away." Now I've had some negative things to say about you, but I never said anything like that. My comment that one person thought contained "vulgarity" was only after you said what you said.

Actually, I do think I deserve an apology for that comment. It was ill-advised on your part. And what about the other things I've said? Do you agree with them or not? You haven't commented. Do I get any credit for what you agree with? I'd surely hope so, as no one is perfect and the good and bad is almost always weighed.

So you just skip all the parts where you were being a jerk, right? I knew you were going to do that.

I had an issue with your statement about the piano teacher. When I asked you if you seriously gave that advice, you responded by being rude and questioning my reading comprehension skills. Two other users also agreed with me that you had made a wrongful statement. Instead of simply admitting that it was a bit of a loaded statement, you continued to be rude and nasty, not only to me but to other people as the thread progressed.

You don't deserve an apology from me because you took my original statement as an attack on your services. It was a pretty neutral post, you decided that it was an attack on you and you responded accordingly.

Why must you hang on to this idea that everyone here is bullying you? I could quote every single one of your posts here and highlight the parts where you are actually the only one flaming, being rude and nasty, and having a pretty bad attitude in general.

Yes, I said your personality sucks because it does.

OP Offline
You "doubled down" on the statement that truly offended me while not providing anyone any examples of me "being a jerk." You're not even playing by your own rules.

Also, I never, ever said "everyone" - that is you putting words in my mouth. If you think that I did, then please quote me saying that. I don't it happened. But go ahead and review the posts. I'll wait...

By the way, should you choose to do anything more on this, you could provide quotes where you think I'm being rude and then I can provide quotes where the attack is obvious to anyone reading.

Of course, I'd think my personality sucked too, IF I didn't have some many folks in my life who disagree with you. Of course, all you have to indicate this is my say so and I know you think nothing about that. Still, you and I constitute the majority of the folks replying to this post and the numbers say that this is only a small, small percentage of the people reading here. Plus, those "reply" numbers represent mostly a few people. .

I also notice that you took no notice of the other question I posed to you, which was:
"And what about the other things I've said? Do you agree with them or not?" Another question I asked which you totally ignored was this one: "Do I get any credit for what you agree with?" Let me repeat both questions.

Dan Starr
B
B
Alrighty, I'll play.

Here we go!

Originally Posted by BrokenChord
Here would be my best call:

1. You've got time so find a teacher that actually knows and loves digital instruments. They have a ton of things going for them, such a built in metronome, ability to record practices and then play back to see how you did, etc. If possible, don't take any teacher that only knows the "blacks and whites." Although that's the first "set of controls" there is a second set and that's the other things any digital can do. Your best instructor will know and be able and willing to teach BOTH sets of controls. Naturally, they will begin with piano but not stop there - there are many other things a digital can do IF you know how to make it speak!

What?!

Did you really just advise someone to not take a teacher that only has experience with acoustics?

Where are the flames? Is this not a question? I don't see an insult, a name call... absolutely nothing

You keep harping on something you think I said but did NOT. Let me make it clear for you. The person asking me for help has an entire summer to search for the BEST teacher for his kids. I simply told him that finding a teacher who can teach both the keyboard aspects (the "blacks and whites") and the digital stuff would be BEST. That way, when it comes time to learn the rest of the instrument, there won't be a need to change instructors. That is a huge distance from me telling him to NOT take any teacher that can't do teach both. I didn't do that.

Hope he reads better than you do.

Originally Posted by R Jay

If possible, don't take any teacher that only knows the "blacks and whites."

I don't think BrokenChord has any problems reading your post. You don't say "it would be best to find..."

Originally Posted by BrokenChord

He has selective vision. Don't bother. The OP clearly has a problem comprehending the stupidity of his own statement...

Originally Posted by Jerseydevil
Dan, Thanks for offering to help with this. Not to start a flame war, but I did note that you had qualified your suggestion about choosing an instructor with "if possible."

Which was EXACTLY my issue with your statement.

I offer to help and get flamed by certain folk. "They" could simply have decided I was an idiot and therefore not worthy of consideration. They didn't do this.

What they choose to do, however, is write for all the other people who obviously read these posts. I can see the front page of this and know there are a lot of these folk who are sometimes called "lurkers." Allow me to apologize to any such that are still reading this. Since I don't take kindly to those who insult me (I sometimes call it "taking a dump on my living room floor") I insult back.

You start to play the victim card HERE when it was you who threw the first stones in the thread. You are on the defensive because thats just what kind of person you seem to be. Nobody attacked you at all.

Hey, I gotta ask you, Broken Chord - how do you know I was even talking about YOU? Of course, not being a child I do believe I already know the answer. However, perhaps not and you'll enlighten us all.

There has been a number of folks who have dissed me here (as well as a number who asked for help) and you were just one of them. If I meant just YOU I'd have used the pronoun "he." As you are the only nasty who has responded, I'll now start using this new pronoun, but only when flame-warring.

Not sure why he dislikes me offering to help, for free, no less...one can only speculate.

Why do I keep responding? Simple - I don't suffer fools gladly. However, I suspect that this will be my final post on this NON-issue. Let's both find something more useful to do. You can think what you want, I'll think what I want, and any reader can think what they want. And, as always, I offer any help I can for no money. If you don't want it, then quit listening and posting. I know that's what I'm going to do.

Oh! Everyone is out to get you, Dan! You are so important here, you are only trying to help. I also suddenly transitioned from being a woman to a man also it seems. Im still trying to find that one post where I started a flame war. It was obvious who you were talking about.

Unless there is some conspiracy on Piano World to delete threads you have started, I don't see any "Anti Dan Starr" agenda looking at your past here as a poster.

This is in response to some kid who thinks he can tell me what DPs do vs. what keyboards do. He's wrong, of course, as he obviously is not all that well versed on the full spectrum of what's out there.

He ends his post with "how many DGX's do you see on Craigslist?" as if that somehow answers anything. So [censored] (the "f" word if anyone was wondering) what?...

Dude, I've been using these instruments since they were invented. Have you? What's your background, oh "Tech in Training?"

This is what you had to say about another user that had a different opinion on a DP than you did. Very mature there.

So yes, your personality IS terrible. I will not apologize for that statement. You are much too old to be acting like that. It's sad really. You take ZERO accountability for the way you treat people and you try to play the victim to make it seem like you've done nothing wrong.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission