Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1898825 - 05/17/12 07:03 PM Improvised Embellishments in Mozart's Piano Music
jackbirdy412 Offline

I just thought I'd bring this up, seeing as I'd found it rather interesting. I've a few recordings of Mozart's Piano Sonatas, one of which is on fortepiano. What seems to be the case is that especially during the repeat of the exposition the pianist in this particular set of recordings adds to the pieces, in that there are extra embellishments, turns, trills, etc. that are not in the printed score. Interestingly these are not present in any of the recordings on modern pianos.
So, what is the general consensus as regards to doing this to Mozart? I personally wouldn't, and I wouldn't do it to any other composer post-Baroque either, really - particularly not from the Classical period.

Just wondering what people thought about it smile

Thanks
jackbirdy412

Edited by jackbirdy412 (05/17/12 07:03 PM)
Bach - Prelude and Fugue no.12, Book II

Working on:
Debussy - L'isle joyeuse
Chopin - Scherzo No.3
Haydn - Sonata Hob.XVI:52
Scarlatti - K426 and K427

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1898831 - 05/17/12 07:18 PM Re: Improvised Embellishments in Mozart's Piano Music [Re: jackbirdy412]
boo1234 Offline

well as long as it is in good taste and fits the music, I think it can be interesting.

#1898835 - 05/17/12 07:33 PM Re: Improvised Embellishments in Mozart's Piano Music [Re: jackbirdy412]
MarkH Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think Gulda made some Mozart sonata recordings on a modern piano in which he did this. I don't have the set, but I'm interested. Honestly, repeats generally bore me, so I like the idea of elaboration with repetition.

#1898856 - 05/17/12 08:35 PM Re: Improvised Embellishments in Mozart's Piano Music [Re: jackbirdy412]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: jackbirdy412
So, what is the general consensus as regards to doing this to Mozart?

It's appropriate and historically accurate. In fact, *not* doing any embellishment would be pretty much the opposite of what would've been the expected practice in Mozart's day. (He even wrote figured bass in his piano parts that pianists were expected to realize as they conducted from the piano.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1898882 - 05/17/12 10:26 PM Re: Improvised Embellishments in Mozart's Piano Music [Re: Kreisler]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I agree with Kreisler. It is totally appropriate in the performance practice of the time, especially in a first movement composed in strict sonata form. Embellishment and ornamentation was expected in the repeat of the "A" section. The development, "B" section, was without additional ornamentation other than as composed. The reprise of the "A" might have or not have any additional embellishment. Performers had the choice.

Most music historians and musicologists suggest that this practice was not one of improvisation. Most performers did not have the same mastery of improvisation as Mozart and would perform a practiced rendition.

In theory, it was assumed that all cadenzas were improvised in concert. Again, historians speculate that this practice was only employed by only the most accomplished improvisers. Others added well rehearsed cadenzas.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1899053 - 05/18/12 07:17 AM Re: Improvised Embellishments in Mozart's Piano Music [Re: jackbirdy412]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Mozart expected performers of his music to add embellishments (as he did so himself), and even mini-cadenzas at appropriate moments (there's actually a written-out one in the finale of one of his sonatas - I think it's K333). Many pianists playing on modern pianos add them - more so in the piano concertos, but also in the sonatas.

#1899071 - 05/18/12 08:03 AM Re: Improvised Embellishments in Mozart's Piano Music [Re: jackbirdy412]
DottedNotes Offline

Loc: New York
I am definitely not an expert, but in the reading I've done in preparing for my own recitals that included Mozart, the point was often made that, during Mozart's time, the ability to embellish/improvise, especially during repeats, was expected. My thought is that it was a natural extension of the realization of figured bass and the extensive ornamentation in Baroque-era keyboard works, particularly dance suites. And, since "good taste" and a high degree of polish were also highly prized during the Classical era, this would be another criteria--i.e., does the added embellishment draw attention toward the beauty of the original or away from it.

On another note, the fortepiano--especially in its earliest constructions--did not have the sustaining, ringing capacity that we have grown accustomed to. So ornamentation was a way to carry a melodic line forward (see especially Mozart's Sonata in B Flat Major, K. 281, which begins with a trill in the right hand!

#1899493 - 05/18/12 08:27 PM Re: Improvised Embellishments in Mozart's Piano Music [Re: jackbirdy412]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Yes, I agree with Kreisler too. I think this had already been mentioned here at PW? Or maybe I read it in the book I am reading about interpreting Mozart.

Music is my best friend.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
182 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, 53 invisible), 1722 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250436 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
Today at 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
Today at 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
Today at 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission