Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1964871 - 09/26/12 04:27 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Olly Wedgwood Offline

Loc: UK - London
Excellent video! I've been playing for over 20 years and nobody really explained this to me... Thanks so much for sharing!
Olly

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1967558 - 10/01/12 10:42 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
So far I have watched every video Robert Estrin has done this past year or two and I love them. I just wish there were more and perhaps a well-illustrated book for sale because I am self-taught and can use a lot of help.

#1985523 - 11/11/12 09:06 PM Re: A New PW Video on Proper Hand Position for Piano Playing [Re: Stephen300o]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stephen300o
My inspiration to take up the piano is Tom Waits, but he doesn't exactly have textbook technique..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LySDkDuqLCE

Woooooooooooooowwww!!!!!

So many things to say...

Do you think they brought out the tuner/tech between numbers?

Wouldn't you love to tag along with Tom for piano shopping?

Hopefully you don't emulate on your own piano!?!

Ever wonder what feedback you'd get if you posted this to the Tuner/Tech Forum?

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2014631 - 01/14/13 08:40 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Daniel Johnson III Offline

Loc: Maryland, Resident of the U.S.

#2016806 - 01/18/13 04:31 PM Re: A New PW Video on Proper Hand Position for Piano Playing [Re: Piano World]
Bruce Siegel Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi everyone,

I agree that Robert's video is excellent. I particularly like that he stresses the importance of getting maximum results with minimum effort.

And there's another aspect to this: using the weight of your arm to produce tone. When you stop pushing downwards on the key, and instead, let gravity do the work, you stay relaxed, and you also gain greater control over dynamics.

Here's a video I created that demonstrates this approach. I hope some of you find it helpful!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_LdrP0c1A

By the way, someone here talks about a problem with their pinky sticking straight up. Using arm weight may help to overcome this problem. And that's because when you play by releasing weight (rather than pushing), you're constantly sending the message to your body: Release. Let go. Relax.

And that includes even your pinky. :o)

So relaxation gets "built into" your technique in the most fundamental way possible, and that can only be a good thing!

--Bruce

#2050835 - 03/19/13 01:26 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Mark Green Offline

Loc: Jamaica
This is quality.thanks guys smile

#2057590 - 03/31/13 11:41 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
wonderful video! especially helpful for adult beginners like myself. thank you!!

#2088453 - 05/25/13 07:31 AM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
I also have the problem of the "teacup pinkie" on my right hand only. I'm wondering if it will cause trouble down the road. I am not currently noticing any problems.

#2088478 - 05/25/13 09:42 AM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
My teacher told me about the "pinkie", that it would the result of a too tense hand. I think that it could disappear by having much more routine in piano playing, and thus approaching it much more relaxed. My teacher advised me to routinely do some excercises (scales and arpegios) in which I fully concentrate on posture (full body to finger tip), and within this of course concentrating also on hand and finger posture. I get corrected on this each lesson again. Corrections became by time so subtle, that I sometimes wonder what it would be what is still not good, but my teacher really insists on it to maximum detail. It´s hard for me to say WHAT I changed over time, but yes, the pinkie is disappearing. I now only suffer it on new pieces and hard passages, which supports my teacher´s view that it is all about playing relaxed.

#2089005 - 05/26/13 04:11 AM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
I enjoy these videos very much. Robert Estrin is a really cool guy that knows how to make learning fun. I hope you keep these vids coming. smile

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2101487 - 06/12/13 01:54 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
music producer Offline

During my years taking piano lessons, I had some good teachers, and one great teacher. His name was Alexander Mlynarski; the piano teacher lineage went back through Paderewski, and on back many generations to Beethoven, according to my teacher (whom I have no reason to doubt).

He taught that my hand should be shaped as though I were holding a large orange. Wrist low, knuckles high, elbows out slightly, hand always relaxed when possible between playing and sustaining chords.

#2110941 - 07/01/13 01:12 AM Re: A New PW Video on Proper Hand Position for Piano Playing [Re: Piano World]
Palmpirate Online   content

Loc: B.C.Canada
Thanks robert . Video lessons on these aspects of piano really help. I recently came back to piano playing and my new teacher as an adult taught me about playing with 'calm hands' I was quick to get his meaning since I've done a lot of yoga and body training. I know what releasing tension feels like but never thought about it in my piano playing before. It is true you really can play for hours without getting fatigued. Now I am no longer with that teacher your videos help re-inforce the great lessons I have learned lately. I will look forwar to more of your tips and tricks!

#2124008 - 07/27/13 10:40 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Steve Armstrong Offline

I know this is very late but I think you will find helpful...

I say fix. For your finger to stick up, it must be tense, tension = bad tone and damage to muscles. It is also inefficient. You just need to strengthen it with isolation exercises, which, of course will take more than a couple of weeks before you have some marked improvement.

e.g. 1. play a triad and while holding the bottom two keys down, play your fifth several times, slowly, but firmly. Then once comfortable, double-tap your fifth with dotted rhythms i.e. dotted-quaver and semiquaver and then reverse. (double-dotted is even better). You MUST lift your fifth straight up and curved, DO NOT flap it out in an arch. Pull it straight up.

The fifth finger itself, however, is not the only problem. The 3rd and 4th fingers are very lazy and very clumsy.

E.g. 2. Download Delioux op. 86 from imslp.org and flick through that. Part I Series I is very good. (Pick out exercises for 3,4, and 5 individually and also combined).

If your 5th finger lifts to help your 4th lift and then relaxes as your 4th finger strikes then that's ok: holding it up and straight is not ok. If it helps your 4th then it must play exactly with your 4th as though strapped to it.

I hope that helps smile

#2138858 - 08/25/13 04:03 PM Re: A New PW Video on Proper Hand Position for Piano Playing [Re: Piano World]
Philm35 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Thanks, Robert, for this enormously helpful video. I look forward to seeing more!

Cheers,

--Phil
Yamaha Motif XF-8
=====================

#2139391 - 08/26/13 08:09 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Ahmediy Offline

These videos are wonderful.
Robert is a very good player and teacher.
Thanks!

#2143683 - 09/03/13 09:51 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
howtotuneaguitar Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Online learning provides many advantages to everybody. First of all there are numerous software packages to choose from, which provide the required help in playing the piano. Online piano lessons will work out to be cost effective and provide an effective way in mastering techniques which relate to this musical instrument.

Another major advantage of an online piano lesson is that you can do it from any part of the world. You also do not require superior hardware configurations to download the software packages for online piano learning. What is even better is that you can access the various piano lesson packages from the online “shops” any time of the day or night.

#2151099 - 09/16/13 08:07 AM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Andy Platt]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

It does make me laugh a little bit when people talk about no longer playing as if there is a ball in your hand and similar things which must have gone out of style 30 years ago ... unless there are some really bad teachers out there!

it's specially laughable when we know that Byrd and his contemporaries used flat fingers to play the keyboard

fads...

my piano haiku

#2154339 - 09/20/13 10:33 AM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
appreciate the video !!
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2154969 - 09/21/13 11:13 AM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Steve Warner Offline

Loc: New York, New York
Excellent video!

#2179411 - 11/09/13 01:54 AM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Berb Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Hi, thanks for the video sharing, Seems like finally i've found the right
info. Kindly share more info soon

#2179631 - 11/09/13 02:44 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Carlinton Offline

Loc: Jamaica
I love this video! I enjoy every minute of it! laugh
My students would benefit greatly from this video. So the question is --> Can I share it on my website?

Thank you!
All the best!

Carlinton
http://www.choose-piano-lessons.com/piano-exercises.html

Edited by Carlinton (11/09/13 02:44 PM)

#2181820 - 11/13/13 05:32 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
careezma Offline

Loc: Banned
“The Easiest and Most Effective way to Learn Piano & Keyboard Online” http://pianoforallbuy.blogspot.com/

Edited by careezma (11/13/13 05:32 PM)

#2213971 - 01/13/14 12:36 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
At the beginning of the video Estrin mentions Horowitz's flat fingered playing but then Estrin seems to recommend a more curved fingers approach. Does this mean he thinks Horowitz played incorrectly or was some kind of exception to the rule or was able to play the way he did despite some technical flaw or...? I think leaving an explanation of this out makes the video somewhat unclear.

There are also other pianists who use a more flat fingered approach although none as famous as Horowitz.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/13/14 12:40 PM)

#2214576 - 01/14/14 01:03 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Miguel Rey Offline

I think he fails to mention that both curved and flattened fingers can be used depending on what is being played. I've read books and have noticed some professionals using both.

The Melody Hand is weighty and 'dead,' so to speak. The touch is made with flat fingers; the ball of the finger comes in contact with the key, the whole arm, hand and fingers are relaxedas loose as possible. You caress the keys as though you loved them, as though they were a very part of you; you cling to them as to something soft, velvety or downywith pressure, pressure, pressure, always."

The technical hand employs finger touch and finger action; the hand is held up, in military position, so to speak; the finger movements are quick, alert and exact; the hand is alive, not dead and heavy, as is the melody hand. The two ways of playing are quite opposite in their fundamental character, but they can be modified and blended in endless ways."For the technical or coloratura touch, the hand is in arched position, the five fingers are well rounded and curved, their tips are on the keys, everything is rounded. When a finger is lifted, it naturally assumes a more rounded position until it descends to the same spot on the key from which it was lifted, as though there were five little imaginary black spots on the keys, showing exactly where the finger-tips should rest. The fingers are lifted cleanly and evenly and fall on the keysno hitting nor striking. I make a great distinction between the coloratura touch and the melody touch. The first is for rapid, brilliant passage work, sparkling, glittering, iridescent what you willbut cold. It is made, as I said, with arched hand and raised finger action. Melody touch expresses warmth and feeling; is from the heart. Then there are the down and up arm movements, for chords, and, of course, scale and arpeggio work, with coloratura touch

Thuel Burnham

#2217215 - 01/19/14 03:52 PM Re: A New Short PW Video on Piano Playing Technique [Re: Piano World]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Great video, thanks! "The magical line where the white keys meet the black keys." Amazing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
60 registered (Allard, barbaram, AndrewJCW, 19 invisible), 1215 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295073 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
07/30/14 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
07/30/14 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission