Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1900191 - 05/20/12 11:14 AM Hammond C models
sparx Offline

Hi! I have been looking at Hammond organ models in EBay for the last wee while. Where I live in Ireland, the C models are much more common than the B models. As I h ave looked at them, I thi my heart I changing towards the C model. However, there is one feature that I am also interested in and that is the four-leafed clover-like coving finish around the side panels of both the organ and the stool. The design seems to lift that solid, sudden and arguably dull side profile - makes em look more feminine of something grin Firstly, what is the name of that coving I referred to - can't see to find the term for it on Google. As well as that, I have only been able to see this on CV and C2 models. Was this not included on the c3 models as well?

#1900336 - 05/20/12 05:17 PM Re: Hammond C models [Re: sparx]
Ken Knapp Online   content

Loc: Pennsylvania
They are called quatrefoils.. C models had them until around 1959 or thereabouts. You are smart to consider a C, they are the same as the equivalent B model for less money..

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician

#1903953 - 05/27/12 02:26 PM Re: Hammond C models [Re: sparx]
sparx Offline

Thanks, Ken. I've pretty much made up my mind that either a C2/3, with quatrefoils is what I'm looking for (unless one of you guys decide to tell me that one model is better than the other) but I now have a question regarding Leslie speakers. I passed up on a C3 this afternoon because of the missing quatrefoils but interestingly the dealer was offering a pristine Leslie 145 with the organ. The Leslie 145 tends to be quite popular over here but I'd heard some negative reports about this model despite its having the same cabinet and basic circuitry as the 122; the only difference being the way the two models receive/process the signal. Is the 'noise' picked up by the 145 that big a deal? Listening to Hammond organs being played, I've noticed how some Leslies seem to switch from chorale to vibrato quite quickly and others seem to slow down or speed up more gradually. Is that just my imagination or do certain models respond more quickly/slowly to the switch?

#1904276 - 05/28/12 07:26 AM Re: Hammond C models [Re: sparx]
Ken Knapp Online   content

Loc: Pennsylvania
The 145/147 uses unbalanced input and mains speed switching. It does respond more quickly to speed control than the 122. As far as spin up/spin down speeds, both models depend on the belt tension and can be adjusted for your preference.

The 122 has balanced input and is more of a challenge to interface to an organ. The 145/147 is considered more universal and is very easy to interface. Personally, I have never noticed one being more noisy than the other. It is true that the one type of circuit is more SUSCEPTIBLE to noise, but that does not make it more noisy. It really depends on there being noise to be picked up and amplified.

I have converted Leslie amps to a 122 type or a 145/147 type and the difference is in the speed switching circuit and the input to the 12AU& tube. After that, they are pretty much the same.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician

#2002992 - 12/22/12 08:05 AM Re: Hammond C models [Re: sparx]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I`ve played these loads o` times. The 122 Leslie was designed, I think, for the C3 which also had it`s own speaker cabinet. The i45/7 Leslies were able to utilise a preamp box which rendered them suitable for portable organs that were around then; also guitars.

The earlier Leslies utilised plywood; the later ones used chipboard. The earlier ones wwere far superior in both tone and volume. 40Watts, they kicked out. Unbelievable!

I bought a 180W Sharma because of the low output from my later 147 . . .

If you used a Leslie as well as a straight amplifier and cabinet you got a stunning effect. I had an M100 which was not cut in two. It was bloody HEAVY!

""

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (accordeur, Atrys, anotherscott, Auver, 47 invisible), 1406 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251051 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission