2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Nord records really well. The string and sympathetic resonance modeling really adds a lot to the sound, escpecially evident in recordings like this. Thanks for sharing Dave.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks Dave!

By the way, is there a reason you cannot go DP > HD recorder?
I believe this would give the most transparent recording (e.g. direct from the Nord) and allow the improvements provided by the additional hardware to be judged somewhat objectively.

And yes, by re-recording, I mean playing the exact same piece twice, keeping the sound selection and instrument setup exactly the same, but just changing the output configuration (direct from the Nord vs improved by the DI etc.)

While I seldom use my Nord for acoustic piano sounds, I wonder if the hardware you're using would have a similar 'de-digitalising' effect on the EP and organ sounds.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James

By the way, is there a reason you cannot go DP > HD recorder?

James like I mentioned a few posts back:

"You can't record directly into a hard disk recorder (or any source) unless the recorder already has some internal preamps, in which case, the Tascam doesn't."

Originally Posted by Kawai James

While I seldom use my Nord for acoustic piano sounds, I wonder if the hardware you're using would have a similar 'de-digitalising' effect on the EP and organ sounds.

Most defintley. I don't do organ but I would think it would fatten it up. On Nord Rhodes, and Wurli (as well as the CP5) , the Radial Di, even just going into my A&H mixer, smoothes out those high notes that can jump out and be overly piercing. It fattens up the middle, makes things thicker and more punchy. Add a good pre to the mix and things get a lot better-more detail, open high end, hi-fi sound and more headroom. Basically just a more musical and euphonic sound...if you like that kinda thing... grin Actually some guys don't. That's why they run stuff through Roland JC120s and twin Reverbs.

Not sure when I can get to more dp recordings but I will when I get a chance.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
James like I mentioned a few posts back:

"You can't record directly into a hard disk recorder (or any source) unless the recorder already has some internal preamps, in which case, the Tascam doesn't."

You should be able to plug the Nord into anything that has a line input. The Tascam must have line inputs, or else you'd have nothing to plug your preamp into. Now, a microphone may need a preamp, if the Tascam has no mic input, but I have a hard time envisioning why a line source would need a preamp. So I'm afraid there's still something I'm not getting here. (And BTW, the Tascam isn't the source in this scenario, the Nord is. ;-) )

D
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
I've tried going straight into the Tascam before. The Dp doesn't put out enough gain to get anything but the weakest signal, barely audible.

I knocked this off real quick going straight in
http://www.divshare.com/download/17810192-c8c

That was with the NP volume at max and the input record level on the Tascam at +5 db..I usually record at the default setting of 0.0 db.

The CP5 had even less of a hot output then the Nord. On the CP5 I could get more output using the XLR balanced outs, maybe a tad more then the Nord .

And yes the DP is the source, I guess I was referring to the recording source, my mistake there.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 05/20/12 02:39 AM. Reason: added thought
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I've just tried the PC3X and it wasn't my thing. The "triple strike piano" on its own that they still use doesn't bother me that much, it's more the Kurz's Fatar action with the finger/sound connection of their sample...it feels and sounds dull and lifeless to me.

Dave,

I owned a Kurzweil Mark Pro 3i for a short while (last year) and found that while the "triple strike" piano sounds are pretty good, the Fatar action was not. It had an almost sluggish response (repetition wise) and I just didn't like the mushy feeling at the bottom of the key strokes. Sold it later for extra cash, and used it towards the purchase of the V-Piano.

D
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
Good for you PV, selling anything in this economy is not easy, especially an expensive home dp model. You seem to be happy with the Roland, that seems like a better fit for you.

Even though Nord uses the dreaded Fatar action, I think the fact that their pianos are more detailed then the Kurzweils, helps the overall playing experience.

I don't wanna think about it--I'm already missing my CP5... cry .

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Even though Nord uses the dreaded Fatar action, I think the fact that their pianos are more detailed then the Kurzweils, helps the overall playing experience.

I'm pretty sure Nord also uses a different Fatar action than Kurzweil does.

The CP5 demo sounded better to me than the DP88. And as far as cutting through the mix, that is what EQ, Hammer type, Velocity Curve, Compression, etc is all there to help with.

The DP88 demo sounded a bit plastic. And this is knowing the limitations of the CP5 samples...With very little extra work, the samples could have been improved...frustrating to me since I have done a some sampling of my own...

But, I own the CP5 so I am afraid of something else hurting my "investment feelings", therefore biased...

Thanks for letting me be blunt.

My SKB gig bag has made this heavy beast not bad to move as well.
I got it B stock for $100.00. Only the cadboard box was beat up, the bag is perfect!

I love the EP's, Organs and other sounds as much or more than the piano sounds on the CP5.

Of course, I am also too cheap to invest in a Nord at this point, getting my CP5 for $1900.00.

OK...enjoy the Nord!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah plus Nord apparently checks each individual key to their own standards to check for evenness and consistency.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
D
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
A little backing track I did for a singer this morning with the NP2 Bosie XL. This was a first take so didn't spend much time with it.

It was the first time I'd used my new JMK Audio di/preamp on a recording. Pretty happy with the sound.

Again just a backing track for vocal, nothing at all fancy. Just twice through on "The Nearness of You"- in the not so friendly user key D no less. wink

http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/nearness-of-you-1/s-7wNh6

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 08/11/12 02:22 AM. Reason: different link
M
M
Thank you. Most enjoyable.

Sound of DP, esp telltale treble, excellent and shows how foolish it is to draw conclusions based on YouTube audio. Very tasty ideas; touch and chord choices superb. The slow swing is a welcome change from the dreary overslow ballad treatment the song usually gets.

Did you play in key of D or use the DP's transpose feature (which I confess I'm often guilty of)? Do you ever, as I do, play such tunes using left hand "swing bass" (10ths on 1 and 3)?

D
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks Moleskincrusher. No, can honestly say I've never used a transpose button in my life. I'm such a space cadet that I'd probably forget to set it back after the song. grin

This wasn't too big a deal since it was just backing comping. If I had to play it solo with the melody in D , I'd definitely write it out.

I do occasionally walk the bass with singers and solo piano. Usually after a couple of choruses . I do play tenths on 1& 3 too. To me that's more of a stride thing. I hint at it here in a few places on the IV chord.

Yeah the Nord always sounds good recorded. Very happy with the new preamp. It was expensive but really makes a big difference here and live as well.

R
R
Very nice job Dave.

I will be the first to confess...

Hello my name is Ron and I use transpose buttons.

I try not to but I am in a jazz group with a female vocalist and all the keys are strange. I usually use Band in a Box to create charts (for the bass and sax) but sometimes I get lazy - for example we do Blackbird and I learned it in the Beatles key (G)and don't feel like relearning it in F.

And yes I have started songs at gigs with transpose still on and gotten dirty looks from band members.

So I know I should stop but I can't help myself...

Originally Posted by RonL
So I know I should stop but I can't help myself...

A familiar refrain?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have been reading this thread and hope no one minds me adding to it. I owned the Nord Stage and remember that the outputs are +2db as opposed to +4db and unbalanced. That would make the levels low on the Tascam. One good trick in to change the Tascam's input to -10db instead of +4db(if you can). That will make your input levels jump by quite a bit.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission