Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1900751 - 05/21/12 01:53 PM You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video.....
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
In fact, I won't even embed it, because that would ruin the surprise.

here it is

Sorry to be so mysterious, but I thought the surprise would be worth it. If it's not, say so and I won't do it again. grin

I found this by accident -- looking for videos of a violinist that I heard in a piano trio, years ago, and here she is in her much younger days. I didn't realize she had worked with this guy.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1900771 - 05/21/12 02:30 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
WHOA!! Had no idea he was a pianist! Haha. One of the top comments on the video says he could play the Tchaikovsky 1st piano concerto. I'm not sure about that, I'll need to look it up... But if it's true, wowzers.

#1900776 - 05/21/12 02:51 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City

#1900790 - 05/21/12 03:39 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
WhoDwaldi Offline

Very naughty, pianoloverus. smile

I like when he rubs his nose at 4:00.

Apparently, he enjoyed playing this prank on people at "society" parties who expected a free recital.

As for the piano playing, it's interesting that he's a good Bach player. Usually people who play piano as a second (or additional) instrument are more the chordal type of players.

#1900832 - 05/21/12 05:27 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
After reading pianoloverus's post about the violin playing, I'll take a guess. Jack Benny?

Cathy

#1900839 - 05/21/12 05:37 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It is not exactly terrific piano playing. Now Rostropovitch graduated from the Moscow Conservatory with Rach 2!!!!

#1900869 - 05/21/12 06:37 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Andromaque]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
It is not exactly terrific piano playing. Now Rostropovitch graduated from the Moscow Conservatory with Rach 2!!!!

Yup, he's another one! Although I didn't know he was that accomplished as a pianist!

I remember hearing an LP of him accompanying his wife in lieder -- and it was absolutely wonderful on both ends.

P.S. I probably think Heifetz's piano playing is better than you do. smile

#1900873 - 05/21/12 06:44 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

P.S. I probably think Heifetz's piano playing is better than you do. smile

I am demanding. smile

#1900880 - 05/21/12 06:59 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Andromaque]
Mark_C Online   content

I am demanding. smile

In that case, I agree. grin

I was splitting hairs a little when I stuck up for poor Jascha. ha

I also felt his playing wasn't the most sensitive or expertly -- sort of high-amateur, or, I guess, like a great-musician-of-another-instrument-who-hasn't-really-worked-on-piano-but-can-get-by-darn-well, which I suppose is exactly what he was. I agree that Rostropovich's piano playing was of a different level -- fully professional and leaving nothing at all to be desired, as far as I could tell.

How about this:

On the scale of the amateur competitions, which perhaps bizarrely but unavoidably is a frame of reference for me.... grin

Heifetz makes the semi-finals of some but not all of them, maybe sneaks into the finals of a couple, but doesn't even necessarily get admitted to the toughest ones like the Cliburn.(Unless they know it's Jascha Heifetz.) ha

Rostropovich always makes the finals, and usually if not always WINS.

P.S. Something we ought to take into account: I suspect that what we're seeing is Heifetz at the piano without having much worked toward it. If he were to have prepared a recital (or whatever), I think it might well have been on a distinctly higher level.

Edited by Mark_C (05/21/12 08:39 PM)

#1900883 - 05/21/12 07:00 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Idk for sure about how good a pianist Heifetz was, but for the purpose of accompanying a student in a master class, he got the job done just fine.

#1900888 - 05/21/12 07:08 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
Mark_C Online   content

BTW, the pianist in the Trio with this violinist was Rebecca Penneys, early in her career. She's a long-time faculty member at Eastman, and many prominent pianists have been her students.

#1900900 - 05/21/12 07:27 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
Heifetz was the greatest musician of the 20th century bar none. No other instrumentalist achieved his consistent level of perfection.

#1900917 - 05/21/12 08:36 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
Heifetz was the greatest musician of the 20th century bar none. No other instrumentalist achieved his consistent level of perfection.

Maybe of any century!!

Of course there are arguments for Paganini and Liszt (and others??), but Heifetz is up there.

#1901071 - 05/22/12 04:15 AM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic

Really? Every single musician? Every single instrumentalist? I assume you've heard them all. Horse puckey.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1901117 - 05/22/12 08:37 AM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
pianoloverus Offline

There were/are critics, professional musicians, and non professionals who didn't consider Heifetz to be even the greatest violinist of the 20th century no less the greatest musician.

#1901182 - 05/22/12 10:34 AM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Online   content

Stores, Pianoloverus: It might be nice to suggest some others who you think might be put ahead. smile

I don't mean it's not debatable. Every such thing is debatable, but I think many would indeed put Heifetz at the top for that (I would), and it seems a little odd to do a hit-and-run like that without suggesting some other candidates, particularly ones that you think are higher, if you do.

BTW, someone doesn't need to have heard everybody to offer a statement like Serge did, do they.... for one thing, if that were so, we'd never be able to talk about "greatest" anything, of anything. Also I'm not sure about this thing of ridiculing without at least offering something.

#1901203 - 05/22/12 11:14 AM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: pianoloverus]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

In that clip Heifetz demonstrated the types of mistakes he heard in auditions, and admits he is exaggerating "but not much". For a musician to be able to play badly on purpose in order to demonstrate common mistakes, while still playing a difficult piece of music, takes an enormous amount of mastery at the instrument.

The story behind this particular clip is that on that day he did not expect the cameras to be there and had nothing prepared. So he created this impromptu bit on the spur of the moment.

When Heifetz came on the scene, he revolutionized standards of playing, and others scrambled to catch up. There was a "before Heifetz" and an "after Heifetz" but of course things don't stand still, and trends change.

#1901209 - 05/22/12 11:30 AM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: keystring]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: keystring

In that clip Heifetz demonstrated the types of mistakes he heard in auditions, and admits he is exaggerating "but not much". For a musician to be able to play badly on purpose in order to demonstrate common mistakes, while still playing a difficult piece of music, takes an enormous amount of mastery at the instrument.

The story behind this particular clip is that on that day he did not expect the cameras to be there and had nothing prepared. So he created this impromptu bit on the spur of the moment.
Interesting explanation. I thought it was a normal shredding video and couldn't figure out the person who made got the laughing students into the background.

Edited by pianoloverus (05/22/12 11:33 AM)

#1901210 - 05/22/12 11:31 AM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Mark_C]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yeah, that is Heifetz himself playing like that, not overdubbed audio! I don't like the video title, because it isn't a proper shredding video. It should be called "FUNNY - Heifetz demonstrates mistakes he hears in auditions" or something like that.

#1901212 - 05/22/12 11:36 AM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: pianoloverus]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada

Interesting explanation. I thought it was a normal shredding video and couldn't figure out the person who made got the laughing students into the background.

Oh, I see now. I am so familiar with that clip that I didn't bother watching. This one leaves out the important intro. And now I'm going to look up the word "shred" so that I'm not totally ignorant. laugh

#1901233 - 05/22/12 12:11 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Andromaque]
Verbum mirabilis Offline

And Richter could play the cello! I've read that he and Rostropovitch swapped instruments in some recitals.
Bach: P&F in D minor, book 2

#1901448 - 05/22/12 06:13 PM Re: You won't believe who's the PIANIST in this video..... [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Verbum mirabilis

And Richter could play the cello! I've read that he and Rostropovitch swapped instruments in some recitals.

I did not know that about Richter. Is it true? ( I don't remember reading it in the Rasmussen biography).

At any rate, speaking of musicians of the century, those two would certainly be in contention.
For violin, David Oistrakh was a true giant and would get my vote ahead of Heifetz.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
30 minutes 4 seconds ago
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
Yesterday at 09:36 PM
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 08:56 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (ando, andriy555, AmateurBob, aesop, 35 invisible), 1199 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157524 Topics
2313854 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission