Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1902544 - 05/24/12 06:31 PM Action GH vs GH3
Phlox Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi,

Why choose a GH3 instead of a GH action ??
I know that there is a third sensor in GH3 what would make it possible to have a faster repetition.

Is this a brochure thing or can you play faster/smoother with a GH3 board.
If it is faster, from what skill level would you benefit from the GH3 ??

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1902581 - 05/24/12 07:40 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
CyberGene Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
I can't find any substantial difference between GH and GH3. I've owned a Yamaha P90 with GH and have played few of the latest Clavinovas with GH3. In fact, there's something in GH3 I don't like and that's some slight resistance (or hardness) of the keys in the beginning of their motion.

As to the third sensor, my understanding is that it helps for faster repetition on a single key. There are not many cases in which you would need that. What comes to my mind are some parts from the Ebm Toccata by Khatchaturian and to some degree Dm Toccata by Prokofiev and there may be some other classic repertoire pieces as well. Depends on the style you play I guess.

Edited by CyberGene (05/24/12 07:43 PM)

#1902587 - 05/24/12 08:13 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: CyberGene]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: CyberGene

As to the third sensor, my understanding is that it helps for faster repetition on a single key. There are not many cases in which you would need that. What comes to my mind are some parts from the Ebm Toccata by Khatchaturian and to some degree Dm Toccata by Prokofiev and there may be some other classic repertoire pieces as well. Depends on the style you play I guess.

I think the OP knows what it's meant to do, but wants to know if it actually works.

#1902592 - 05/24/12 08:22 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
500 Post Club Member

You're right, I haven't understood his question correctly, sorry for that.

#1902762 - 05/25/12 05:22 AM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
offnote Offline

Loc: Banned
I wouldn't choose either one...

#1902878 - 05/25/12 10:35 AM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: offnote]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: offnote
I wouldn't choose either one...

Another helpful post, thanks for that.

GH and GH3 are mechanically identical. The only difference is the third sensor on GH3. It works. Anyone can "fiddle around" with the keys and certainly hear the difference it makes to the smoothness of very quickly repeated notes. I think it is only of use with quite a limited repertoire AND if you have the physical talent/ability to exploit the feature. The talent and the repertoire seldom coincide I should think. But it works without a doubt.

For the vast majority of players for the vast majority of the time I think it's a non-issue.

Further the CyberGene's point I find them both to have a higher degree of initial inertia to the key travel than most other actions which gives a slight sensation of excessive "stiction" just as you press the keys in my opinion. But it (GH/GH3) is a good action nonetheless.

#1902884 - 05/25/12 10:51 AM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: CyberGene]
Qbert Offline

Loc: Italy
In fact, there's something in GH3 I don't like and that's some slight resistance (or hardness) of the keys in the beginning of their motion.

Really I have the same feeling with my CLP 170, but I'd never thought it could depend on GH3... I mean: are you sure that GH is different?

Edited by Qbert (05/25/12 10:51 AM)

#1902889 - 05/25/12 10:56 AM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
500 Post Club Member

To be honest, I am not sure GH is different. I've had my P90 somewhere between 2004-2005 and I don't think I've noticed anything similar, however it was only my second digital piano and I might have been less picky and observant compared to now. I'll have to try GH and GH3 side by side to confirm.

Edited by CyberGene (05/25/12 10:57 AM)

#1903044 - 05/25/12 03:53 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Regarding the different feel between GH and GH3 ...

Be aware that GH feels different from GH !
And GH3 feels different from GH3 !

Every piano I've tried had a slightly different feel, even though they had the same keyboard action.

Is this manufacturing variation? Is it age and wear? I don't know. But the differences are noticeable.

#1903119 - 05/25/12 06:43 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
Phlox Offline

If I understand it correct, quick repetition on one key is beter on a GH3 keybed ? or is it impossible on a GH board ??

And how many sensors do the natural wood (Yamaha CP5) and RM3 (Kawai MP10) have ??

#1903121 - 05/25/12 06:52 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
500 Post Club Member

Not sure how relevant it is, but I have a Yamaha KX8 keyboard which "sports" the cheapest GHS keyboard and I tested it today with the Khachaturian's toccata and especially that quick repeating Bb note. I noticed that depending on the technique I use, I was able to do extremely quick repetitions of distinguished notes. I can't explain exactly how I did it, it just come as a result of experimentation, but I stretched my forefingers as much as possible (to prevent bending and hence impulse losses), and also tried to transmit the impulse by a slight touch to the key as opposed to a full press to the bottom. To be honest, I have more difficulties with quick repetition on my upright than on this poor Yamaha. And that's the cheapest GHS keyboard action. I am not saying GH3 is not worth it but it's not a critical feature to me.

Edited by CyberGene (05/25/12 06:55 PM)

#1903437 - 05/26/12 11:43 AM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think it's correct to say that contemporaneous GH and GH3 are mechanically the same. However, as MacMacMac points out, I have noticed some variation in the Yamaha pianos I have played over the years. I think they have changed the resistance/weight of the keys a few times in their history without re-branding it. Or maybe it is an issue of age and wear or manufacturing variation.

All of Kawai's pianos use 2-sensor actions and all of Yamaha's stage pianos (including the CP5) use 2-sensor actions. It's not really all that big a deal. A lot of lowish end Casios have 3 sensor actions, but no one says they are better than the CP5 or MP10.

I actually am not sure what people are referring to when they say 3 sensor actions are smoother. Their only added functionality over a 2-sensor action is to be able to play the same note again without lifting the key high enough that the dampers engage and mute the previous note. It's perfectly analogous to the repetition mechanism in a grand piano, which an upright lacks. It adds speed to a single repeated note (trills, etc.) but it won't change how a scale sounds or feels, for example, at any speed.

Edited by gvfarns (05/26/12 11:43 AM)

#1903536 - 05/26/12 03:53 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: gvfarns]
Soren Jorvang Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I think it's correct to say that contemporaneous GH and GH3 are mechanically the same. However, as MacMacMac points out, I have noticed some variation in the Yamaha pianos I have played over the years. I think they have changed the resistance/weight of the keys a few times in their history without re-branding it. Or maybe it is an issue of age and wear or manufacturing variation.

I have had the same experience and I don't think it's a matter of wear.

When I first went to try out digital pianos, I came across several older Yamaha floor models (generally CVP series with GH3, I think) with actions that felt very similar to the Roland PHA/PHAII series, which I really like, and unlike the overly heavy GH/GH3 found in the then current YDP and CLP-300 (and now also CLP-400) series.

If there had been a way for me to know exactly which current or previous Yamaha models had the nicer action, I probably would have bought a Yamaha (this was before Roland Supernatural).

With Roland, on the other hand, PHA, PHAII and PHAIII all feel essentially the same to me. There may have been some minor variations, but nothing like what Yamaha has done with GH3 (and GH?).

In fact, comparing those little transparent display models of "Progressive Hammer Action with Escapement" and "PHAII with Escapement", the geometry of the action itself appears to be exactly the same. The only visible difference is one of size and cost reduction of the "escapement" mechanism. These gimmicky little rubber nubs changed from being an add-on rack on the back of the action to being integrated with the keybed frame.

#1903746 - 05/27/12 02:57 AM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: CyberGene]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

There are some other pieces that do require a decent action, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjghYFgt8Zk

Wonder if Martha could play this on a digital?

#1903777 - 05/27/12 05:30 AM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
500 Post Club Member

She's a great pianist, one of my all time favorites. thumb

#1904055 - 05/27/12 06:46 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: gvfarns]
Phlox Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
All of Kawai's pianos use 2-sensor actions and all of Yamaha's stage pianos (including the CP5) use 2-sensor actions.

So with these DP's the key has to be all the way up before it can produce another sound ??

#1904096 - 05/27/12 07:35 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
On the Roland HP302, which has PHAII (which is by most accounts the same as PHAIII, only lacking this third sensor) you can re-sound the note from about half way between the top and bottom position of the key - above the notch (or escapement jack) but not far above.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1905159 - 05/29/12 05:07 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: EssBrace]
Phlox Offline

@ EssBrace:

Is it difficult to go from the N3 to the Mp10 and to the NP88 ??

I would think these actions are worlds apart

#1905194 - 05/29/12 05:56 PM Re: Action GH vs GH3 [Re: Phlox]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Going from NP88 to N3 and back again is not much fun. MP10 is easy in either direction - it has a very fine action for a stage piano. Although it doesn't feel like the N3 at all the transition between the two causes no problems at all.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, Adypiano, 36251, 43 invisible), 1707 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153527 Topics
2249871 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
04/17/14 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission