Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1902707 - 05/25/12 01:06 AM 8 year old suzuki vs new casio
christineka Offline

Loc: Utah
I am soon going to buy a full sized digital keyboard. My son will be performing in some concerto competition this summer and needs something to practice on while we vacation in the woods. (Electricity is available.) My budget is as low as I can possibly get away with. I was looking at the casio cdp-120 for $400. I'd guess I'd have to buy a cheap, folding stand for whatever that costs.

My friend wants to sell me his 8 year old Suziki hp-8 for $300. I tried it out and it feels like a nice keyboard to me. It works. It comes with a stand for household use. I'd guess I'd also have to buy the folding stand for travel.

I don't know much about keyboards, but I was hoping we could use whatever we got in our house for regular use. Our piano is 100 years old and not the best quality. It would also be nice to have one child practicing on the piano and another on the keyboard in times of conflict.

Which keyboard should I choose?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1902718 - 05/25/12 01:32 AM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: christineka]
BrokenChord Offline

Loc: Michigan
If your son is playing in a competition...don't you think he would need something that isnt a cheap keyboard to practice on? I wouldn't pick either of them to be honest.

Maybe you can get a P95 for him.

#1902754 - 05/25/12 04:23 AM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: christineka]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
The Casio CDP120 is a quite decent entry level digital piano. It is comparable with the Yamaha P95.

To be honest, I have never heard good reports about Suzuki pianos, but neither have I actually had any experience of them.

Your son would certainly need a firm base for the keyboard (solid stand or, at a pinch, a table or desk) and a good pair of headphones would probably be useful. And you need an adjustable bench to be at the right height - can be a folding stool.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1902781 - 05/25/12 07:31 AM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: christineka]
McBuster Offline

Loc: St Paul Minnesota USA
One might also review what is on eBay (near you) and also Craigslist. You may find a good used article that is almost new and has some great features for a bargain price.

Kawai CA95
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer

#1902882 - 05/25/12 10:47 AM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: christineka]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
If you're son is performing competitively, he will need something with a good action. The Casio Privia series, starting with the PX-130 offers the biggest bang for the buck, IMO, having decent piano sounds as well as an acceptable action. I would suggest heading to Guitar Center this weekend, armed with their 15% discount coupon (downloadable) and grabbing one.

#1902895 - 05/25/12 11:09 AM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: voxpops]
christineka Offline

Originally Posted By: voxpops
If you're son is performing competitively, he will need something with a good action. The Casio Privia series, starting with the PX-130 offers the biggest bang for the buck, IMO, having decent piano sounds as well as an acceptable action. I would suggest heading to Guitar Center this weekend, armed with their 15% discount coupon (downloadable) and grabbing one.

Got my coupon. I think we'll go in today to look around. Except casio and yamaha are some of the brands I can't use the coupon for.

I'm seeing "mfg 2000" written on the suzuki manual, so I think the keyboard is actually 12 years old, not 8.

Edited by christineka (05/25/12 11:40 AM)

#1902933 - 05/25/12 12:06 PM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: christineka]
christineka Offline

So, the casio px-130 is good? Is $425 a good price for one that's 2 months old? It's just the keyboard. It happens to be located in the same city as the guitar center store. I'm thinking I'd go to the store first and then to the private seller. (I live an hour away.)

#1902944 - 05/25/12 12:35 PM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: christineka]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Be aware that once you're in the store, you'll be able to negotiate with the sales guys using the discount. They always declare that major companies are not participating to protect MAP levels, but face-to-face things are different.

I think you can judge how good the secondhand price is once you've seen the best GC can offer on a new one.

#1903004 - 05/25/12 02:50 PM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: voxpops]
christineka Offline

I hope I did okay. I came home with a yamaha p95 with folding stand, 2 yr warranty, and padded bag. (Good thing I got the bag because the box didn't fit in the van.) The coupon worked:) I paid under $700 and the deal is done, so don't tell me I can do better;)

#1903018 - 05/25/12 03:06 PM Re: 8 year old suzuki vs new casio [Re: christineka]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: christineka
I paid under $700 and the deal is done, so don't tell me I can do better;)

Just make sure you don't look on Amazon then. wink

Good luck to you and your son, and I hope you both enjoy the P95.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (36251, ando, Akshay, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 1301 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153572 Topics
2250711 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
04/19/14 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
04/19/14 07:44 AM
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
04/19/14 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
04/19/14 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission