Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1902233 - 05/24/12 07:14 AM It's that time of year . . . .
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Long time teachers here know what I'm referring too . . . the graduation announcements are starting to roll in. It's delightful to see your little charges advance, grow and move out into the world. Frequently you hear from students who moved on years ago. Always a delight.

Anyway, this influx got me to reflect on how we should respond. Those who've followed my posts on this forum for a while know that I tend to carp when teachers don't treat teaching as both an artistic pursuit AND a business. I have a savings account linked to my business checking account, where an automatic amount is transferred each month. This set aside is used for expenses which are out of the normal. For example, one of the students who is graduating studied with me for 10 years. What is an appropriate acknowledgement of his graduation? Just a card? That seems rather parsimonious. For students who are with me until graduation and who play to continue in music, I generally find a music related gift, such as a volume of print music. Henle especially, has their editions available in hard cover, and the complete set of Mozart Sonatas, for example, can be a life-long treasure. But for the non-music major, how about a gift card of some sort, the value of which reflects the long-term nature of his study?

Thinking about this last night, I began to wonder what others here do in this situation. Your thoughts?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1902244 - 05/24/12 07:38 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
From a music teacher, I think a musical gift is quite appropriate.

CD's or DVD's?

Love the Henle idea

speaking of which, have you seen the vid on how they were once (until quite recently) hand engraved?

One can order those (approx $40) from an online distributor. I just rec'd one as a gift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=345o3Wu95Qo

Anything from PW gift department?

#1902251 - 05/24/12 08:03 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Artur Gajewski Offline

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I bet it would make that guy in the video very angry, if he would mess up the very last note from the sheet music.

Author of Piano Lessons Package for Synthesia & Child's Piano Play

#1902255 - 05/24/12 08:07 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: lilylady]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lilylady
....speaking of which, have you seen the vid on how they were once (until quite recently) hand engraved?

They used to have their engraver sit at their booth at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt and demonstrate engraving. Quite an interesting experience to see it done in person! I miss that.

#1902295 - 05/24/12 09:52 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
This may be a little out of budget. For years my husband and I have bought silver dollars (of the particular year) and send the kid one.. It is commemorative and they save them.. One used to be able to buy silver dollars pretty cheaply. Anymore we save them for the SPECIAL occasions. (We always had a gift on hand).

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1902307 - 05/24/12 10:14 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
An itunes gift card works for most students.

#1902314 - 05/24/12 10:28 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I bought gift cards at the local music store for my students, but I do like the idea of the Henle edition.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1902330 - 05/24/12 10:57 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
John, I think the gift card is the wimpy solution of our era. Buy a book, or a volume of music, and inscribe them in your own hand. Or buy a well-chosen CD, and handwrite a gift card. Your penmanship is vital in any case.

Peter, the throwback to the 19th Century

#1902338 - 05/24/12 11:14 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: Peter K. Mose]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
John, I think the gift card is the wimpy solution of our era. Buy a book, or a volume of music, and inscribe them in your own hand. Or buy a well-chosen CD, and handwrite a gift card. Your penmanship is vital in any case.

Peter, the throwback to the 19th Century

Actually, Peter, I think we did this up until the 1980s. Social graces started to really skid about then. Or perhaps I was just more aware of the decline.

Anyway, I don't want to give the student a "coffee table" book or dust collector, thus I've kind of shied away from music items for students who have moved on to other activities. But I take your point. Thanks.

And thanks to all for the ideas.

#1902432 - 05/24/12 03:11 PM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
How do you get students to commit to piano all the way through high school??? The great majority of students quit by 9th grade or (much) earlier. Since I started teaching, I've had just two students who studied until May of their senior year, and even those two students took June off.

#1902463 - 05/24/12 04:18 PM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
BinghamtonPiano Offline

Loc: New York
I give iTunes gift cards to tech savvy students.
(Parsimonious? Really?? <insert eye roll here>)

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com

#1902466 - 05/24/12 04:23 PM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I gave each graduating senior a volume of music I thought they would enjoy, but these three are all going into music study in college.

I don't think the itunes gift card is a wimpy idea. The students to whom I've given them have been thrilled because it's something that is musical and they will use, not consumed (like Jamba Juice or a restaurant card).

#1902481 - 05/24/12 04:43 PM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
pianolady14 Offline

I generally give graduates a music-themed gift. Since I know them well, I can usually come up with something I know they'd like. A newer problem for me is getting graduation announcements for former students. This year I received one for a student receiving his Ph.D (in engineering) and another for a student graduating from law school. I haven't taught either of them for at least eight years. I'm not sure what I should do about them. Anyone else have this problem?

#1902520 - 05/24/12 05:54 PM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
luv2teach Offline

Same problem here. I have 5 former students that have sent me grad announcements. I love that I'm hearing from them, but not sure what to send them. A check?

#1902594 - 05/24/12 08:31 PM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: luv2teach]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I'm sure the graduates would all welcome gifts of cash, but a congratulatory note saying you were happy to hear from them and that you were pleased to have been a part of their education would also be appropriate.

#1902824 - 05/25/12 09:09 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: AZNpiano]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
How do you get students to commit to piano all the way through high school??? The great majority of students quit by 9th grade or (much) earlier. Since I started teaching, I've had just two students who studied until May of their senior year, and even those two students took June off.

I guess for me I'm able to really connect with some kids and so when things get tough, they often stick with lessons not necessarily because of the love on music or piano but because they want to please me. This isn't a great reason to study, of course, but sometimes they need that extra motivation to keep going through busy times.

Plus, it's when they get to this point after all those years of studying that they being to tap into the advanced repertoire, to play the things they've always wanted to play. Once you open that door, it's like a whole new world to discover.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1902830 - 05/25/12 09:15 AM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Of course, the quandry is trying to acknowledge the occasion with the proper gift for the individual student. Just like selecting a gift for anyone, their taste and personality must be considered. You also will have an understanding of how they plan to use their musical experience in the future. Does it need to be music/piano related? Not necessarily. It just needs to be logical in relation to that particular student.

Next weekend is the H.S. graduation of two of my students. One is male and one is female, both are advanced players, and both are excellent students. The young man is headed to conservatory as a performance major and the young lady will be studying mechanical engineering. I am invited to both of the graduation parties, so a gift is appropriate. Here are my choices and the thought behind the selections.

Gretta - She loves goofy things and has a great sense of humor. She will be getting a commerative edition of a large Erector Set.

Quint - He is always carrying around an armful of music and often drops it. A monogrammed leather valise was the obvious choice.

These students have both been studying with me for over six years and I didn't want to scrimp. I think that I did a good job as their teacher and wanted to let them know the joy they have brought to me throughout the years.

BTW - I think the hardbound Henle is an excellent idea. That, I'm sure, will show up in the future.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1903118 - 05/25/12 06:41 PM Re: It's that time of year . . . . [Re: pianolady14]
Laurie R. Offline

Loc: Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
I also like to give music-related gifts, with the student's interest in mind, as well as the repertoire we've done together.

I've recently given wedding gifts to former students. I was very touched that they invited me to their weddings.

For one, I chose a boxed set of "complete works of Chopin", and for the other a boxed set of Angela Hewitt playing Bach. These reflected what we had done together.

I like to give something lasting, something that they will think in many years, "Oh yeah, my piano teacher gave me that." Maybe something that they wouldn't buy for themselves.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (bennevis, AndrewJCW, BB Player, ando, angga888, 17 invisible), 1263 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293076 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
58 minutes 32 seconds ago
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission