2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 254 of 370 1 2 252 253 254 255 256 369 370
R
R
Why did you delete your previous post on Mark O'Connor and Caroline Shankar's Nomad, KeysAngler? I really enjoyed that. But I didn't understand Sitar and Fiddle that you mentioned. I could only discern violin accompanied by Tabla.

Anyway, I love Oscar Peterson very much too. Thanks for it!

Originally Posted by Rupak Bhattacharya
Why did you delete your previous post on Mark O'Connor and Caroline Shankar's Nomad, KeysAngler? I really enjoyed that. But I didn't understand Sitar and Fiddle that you mentioned. I could only discern violin accompanied by Tabla.

Anyway, I love Oscar Peterson very much too. Thanks for it!

Because I received a copyright violation notice from Utube ... I tried to find a video of Nomad but couldn't so I made one with Windows Movie Maker and posted it on Utube ... that was the first attempt at making a video with WMM ...
live and learn I guess

I call a violin a fiddle ... I thought it was a sitar but that was just a dumb guess... I'm not familiar with Indian instruments ... anyway Nomad is on Mark O'Connors album 'Heroes'

Last edited by KeysAngler; 05/27/12 09:04 AM.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Great postings everyone! Rupak, I am so happy that you are posting Indian classical music. I will be listening to the entire posting later today when I can listen without distractions. I started listening a bit ago and became engrossed in it, and soon realized I was supposed to be posting this morning too! laugh

KeysAngler, I loved the Oscar Peterson selection. I hope we can get to hear more in the future. He is an amazing pianist.

Well, I guess it's time to do my Sunday classical postings, and then I'll get to have the treat of listening to everyone else's choices for today! My first selection is a choral piece by Gabriel Faure, "Cantique de Jean Racine" Op. 11.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
My next selection is the Concerto in E flat (Allegro) by Vincenzo Bellini.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I'm still in the mood for a little more trumpet music. This selection is by G.P. Telemann, "Concert Sonata in D major - mvt 3". It is performed by Maurice Andre.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Last week it was my pleasure to present a performance by piano virtuoso Awadagin Pratt. I was just recently introduced to his work by Mark. Here he performs Brahms's "Op. 10 Ballade" Andante-Allegro. It is the second movement of the four-part composition.

Last edited by griffin2417; 05/27/12 10:30 AM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My final post today was inspired by an interesting discussion i participated in on the PC Forum. Thanks Deborah for the interesting suggestion of playing this for folks who think that classical music is just "easy listening" to fall asleep to. Be sure you kick up the volume when you play it for the new listeners!

Gustav Holst - The Planets - Mars, the Bringer of War

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Carl

R
R
Marvelous selections for Sunday Classical, Griffin, as usual. I thoroughly enjoyed them. But after finishing listening to them I realized that I should've listened to them in the opposite order, I mean, starting from Planet Mars: Bringer of War to Cantique de Jean Racine. Because, it's 12:30 am now when I decided to finish listening to your selections before going to sleep. So, I started from Gabriel Faure and felt as being showered by happiness and peace. This feeling continued through the next pieces, but as I finished off with 'Bringer of War' it threw me in a horrible battleground. It's really strong and horrifying enough to drive away my sleepiness completely laugh

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya dudes and dudettes, Griffin, your absolutely correct.
Rupak , yes you are absolutely correct too, I should not mention him again, and should instead be getting on with something a little more alive like the next piece of music.

Recaredo you are correct as well, thanks.

Polyphasicpianist, it appears that RG may have written all the songs you posted about eurovision, unfortunately englebert is also dead he just doesnt know it yet, so this helps him perform better..and if he belives in the commonwealth then he should share his wealth with the common people a little, but that isnt going to happen.

Pianojoy.,what a joy to be reminded of helena bonham carter whom I wish for my personal patron at some point when the injunction runs out and I am allowed to email her again.

For those not in the commonwealth or those to poor to own a telly or those with all their savings tied up in euros ( I told you not to didnt I? How many times did I say "no euros?")

Here is a picture of helena bonham carter, Happy birthday helena...

[Linked Image]

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Griffin, I love The Planets! Got to hear it last year performed by the Portland (Maine) Symphony Orchestra. It was a pricey night but worth every penny.

Rossy, nice to see you back!

Sandy

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rupak Bhattacharya
Thanks a lot Sandy and Griffin for showing interest in Indian Classical music. I personally believe that a really good music doesn't respect nationality. Music has its own language which is universal to all music lovers.

Anyway, it's almost Griffin's time for Sunday classical. So I'd post only one (though it's long enough, usually Indian classical musics are longer than this). OK, let's start with Pandit Ravi Shankar since he's been already mentioned here.

As many of you may know, Indian classical musics are based on Raga. I won't elaborate it as Wikipedia is always there to help. The following performance of Ravi Shankar is on raga Parameshwari which was created by Ravi Shankar himself. The first part consists of Alaap (slow introductory improvisations, characterizing the raga), Jor (medium-tempo) and Jhala (fast). This part is rhythmically free. The second part is fixed in a rhythm and is accompanied by a Tabla. This part is called Bandish. A Bandish may also have Vilambit (slow-tempo), Madhyalaya (medium-tempo) and Drut (fast-tempo) variations.

Rupak, I can't thank you enough for posting the selection yesterday of Indian classical music by Ravi Shankar. I particularly appreciated your taking the time to give an overview of how the piece is structured, the terminology and the two separate parts. BTW, your suggestion to check out Wikipedia for elaboration on Raga was a good one. I found it most helpful.

I really enjoyed listening to it. I am very glad I waited until this morning to listen to it without any distractions. (Today is a holiday in the U.S.) I can see that I'll need to learn more about Indian instruments. Overall, i learned a great deal from your post yesterday. I'm looking forward to hearing and learning more!

Rupak, I think I would add to your statement about music having its own language. I would say that music has no borders and has its own language. This allows all of us to explore and learn more about ourselves and each other.

Last edited by griffin2417; 05/28/12 08:54 AM.

Carl

R
R
I can't express in language how glad I am to entertain you with Indian Classical music, Griffin! Thank you so much for taking your time to listen and enjoy it thoroughly. I'll try to post some Indian classical musics on every Saturday as I usually have some free time on most of the Saturdays.

Indian classical musics are of broadly two categories (based on region): Hindustani (or North Indian) and Carnatic (or South Indian) classical musics which are quite different in style from each other. The music I posted or will post falls in the first category. If you wish you may have a look at the wiki link: Hindustani Classical Music. It's very helpful, because later I may post some classical vocal music which has several variation in contrast to classical instrumental. The link describes them in a very nice way.

Originally Posted by Griffin
Rupak, I think I would add to your statement about music having its own language. I would say that music has no borders and has its own language. This allows all of us to explore and learn more about ourselves and each other.

You're quite right. There is no other relationship like musical relationship.

Thank you very much for your Sunday classical selections, Sir. I enjoyed them a lot.

Originally Posted by Rostosky
Hya dudes and dudettes, Griffin, your absolutely correct...I should not mention him again, and should instead be getting on with something a little more alive like the next piece of music.

I'm quite happy you finally realized that, Rossy grin and I'm really glad to get you back. Please don't go away again smile

Last edited by Rupak Bhattacharya; 05/28/12 01:51 PM.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Thanks so much Rupak. Before I jump into an afternoon of piano practice, I thought I'd share some music that I also enjoy hearing from the Andes region of South America. I know Rossy particularly enjoys this as well. It was one of those many things we learned we had a mutual interest in when this thread got started nearly a year ago.

Please enjoy of the Bolivian group, Rumillajta. Here they perform "Cueca Del Panuelo" (English translation, "Kerchief Dance" according to my notes.) Perhaps Recaredo could correct me if this is wrong! smile

Last edited by griffin2417; 05/28/12 02:38 PM. Reason: Song title clarification

Carl

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Aw gawd, I've become embroiled elsewhere on food and nutrition...

Now, I'm eating some lovely fresh mackerel, with onions, peppers and wholegrain rice and pepper and thyme... and I've just filed an FOIA s.32 exemption challenge (don't ask!)

And now I'm listening to some totally OLD sKool UK HOUSE: Global Communication 'The Way'

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eglantine
Aw gawd, I've become embroiled elsewhere on food and nutrition...

Now, I'm eating some lovely fresh mackerel, with onions, peppers and wholegrain rice and pepper and thyme... and I've just filed an FOIA s.32 exemption challenge (don't ask!)

And now I'm listening to some totally OLD sKool UK HOUSE: Global Communication 'The Way'

Eglantine, I was really tempted to get into the food and nutrition discussion as well. I decided against it, however. It was so tempting. My other half and I started gradually changing our eating habits more than 10 years ago.

Instead of jumping into the food talk, I decided that I had better not pass up a golden opportunity to do some intensive piano work today without distractions. It's a holiday in the U.S., and I'm finally making progress on some pieces I'm working on. I hope you enjoyed your healthy meal!

Our meal was relatively healthy with fresh parsley, with tomatoes and chives from our garden. I grilled a few chicken burgers and we made our own guacamole with corn tortillas.

Carl

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hey! Don't knock my thread! (ha ha)
We wouldn't be able to PLAY piano if we weren't healthy....
Have a nice day, all!

(not to mention it got >800 views, not bad...)

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano joy
Hey! Don't knock my thread! (ha ha)
We wouldn't be able to PLAY piano if we weren't healthy....
Have a nice day, all!

(not to mention it got >800 views, not bad...)

PJ, you are too funny! Actually, I love your thread! It is one of the more interesting OT threads I've been reading lately. Yup, I'm one of those 800+ views! The food and nutrition subject is very personal for me, and I really wanted to join in. However, I would have been mad at myself later for not keeping focused on my piano work.

Anyway, i have to get a few things done this morning before heading to work, and must be off for now. It's been quiet here the past few days. I'm hoping I'll be able to post music before I leave.

Have a great day everyone!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rupak, thanks for your posts about Indian Classical Music. I love to hear music from different countries and cultures.

Griffin, your translation of “Cueca del pañuelo” is right. Cueca is a sort of dance from South America, whose origin is the fandango I think. Lovely music.

R
R
Love this song:

[video:youtube]lydBPm2KRaU[/video]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice song, Rupak!

Piano Joy’s thread has inspired me to post this song, called “La flaca” (The skinny woman) laugh .

Page 254 of 370 1 2 252 253 254 255 256 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission