Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1890185 - 05/02/12 10:30 PM Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ?
ozzienovice Offline

Loc: Victoria, Australia
One dealer has told me that the CA-63 is being replaced by CA-65 this month. Another says he knows nothing about it.
Have anyone heard about the new model?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1890211 - 05/02/12 11:11 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
A google search shows that your post is the only online mention of the CA-65.

#1890319 - 05/03/12 06:47 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: MacMacMac]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
A google search shows that your post is the only online mention of the CA-65.

I tried doing that as well, nothing else turned up.

#1890340 - 05/03/12 07:39 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: Vectistim]
McBuster Online   content

Loc: St Paul Minnesota USA
It would make sense, in this Sloooow Mooooving World of DP's, an announcement at NAMM seems reasonable instead of a summertime splash. Are sales of the CA63/CA93 sagging? I doubt it.

But, here are features I would like to see ...

- No dangling cords (63) but runways on the back for both
- Ability to export all your Custom Settings to a USB Drive
- A Third Sensor
- Sensors replaced with Optical or Infrared
- A "Real" Action based on their ABS Design and Technician Adjustable
- 256 Polyphony or Why not 512 and get done with it?
- Virtual Technician - Whole Keyboard and Note by Note
- Better Music Stand
- Real Spruce-Plank Soundboard not vinyl/plywood
- Low Range and Mid Range Soundboard Transducers
- 100x2 instead of 50x2 Amps (93)
- Low, Mid and High Range Amp section
- Lcd Contrast Control and Cheekblock Led's Lcd On/Off
- Transducer under Keyboard

Kawai CA95
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer

#1890362 - 05/03/12 08:56 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Good suggestions, McBuster, although I think if they did them all the price of a CA95 would be at least $1k more than the CA93 (probably more). Still, I'd buy one of if it had all that gear!

#1890759 - 05/03/12 10:16 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: McBuster]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Originally Posted By: McBuster
It would make sense, in this Sloooow Mooooving World of DP's, an announcement at NAMM seems reasonable instead of a summertime splash. Are sales of the CA63/CA93 sagging? I doubt it.

- No dangling cords (63) but runways on the back for both
- Ability to export all your Custom Settings to a USB Drive
- A Third Sensor
- Sensors replaced with Optical or Infrared
- 256 Polyphony or Why not 512 and get done with it?
- Virtual Technician - Whole Keyboard and Note by Note
- Better Music Stand
- Real Spruce-Plank Soundboard not vinyl/plywood
- Low Range and Mid Range Soundboard Transducers
- 100x2 instead of 50x2 Amps (93)
- Low, Mid and High Range Amp section
- Lcd Contrast Control and Cheekblock Led's Lcd On/Off
- Transducer under Keyboard

192 Polyphony is more than enough for even two voices combined, however 256 would be ideal for any newer model DP. 512 would be only needed if you wanted to combine 4 voices on a DP and not have to worry about note drop-offs.

#1890767 - 05/03/12 10:24 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
Keegan Offline

Loc: Canada (Ottawa, ON)
For me, the Kawai deal breaker is the lack of triple sensor...I loved my CA-X (AWA-PRO I), but got rid of it simply because the action was sluggish, and trills were even harder due to the double sensor. I loved the solid feel of the all wood keys, simply like no other :P If Kawai releases a new action with a triple sensor, I'll very likely be making the change from Roland to Kawai (since I use my keyboard mainly as a controller, it's all about the action).

#1890774 - 05/03/12 10:31 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: McBuster]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan

This is an interesting idea, but surely more appropriate for a hybrid piano than a digital piano?

Kawai experimented with hybrid pianos in the late 90's with the HA11.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1890826 - 05/04/12 01:39 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: Kawai James]
vegasE Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU
Everyone seems happy with the piano sounds then? No SUPHI sound engine?

#1890931 - 05/04/12 08:27 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: Kawai James]

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

This is an interesting idea, but surely more appropriate for a hybrid piano than a digital piano?

I was thinking something half way, a hybrid between what we have in RM3 and the Kawai Grands Millenium. Where the Notch/LetOff was mechanical. The Action technician adjustable. Where note repetition was improved. But the Sensors and Digital portion remain.

Kawai CA95

#1890952 - 05/04/12 09:05 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: McBuster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
- A Third Sensor

Agreed, and perhaps a somewhat lighter feeling action?

Originally Posted By: vegasE
Everyone seems happy with the piano sounds then?

Not me, they (and Yamaha, Korg, etc.) seriously need to get rid of the looping.

#1890963 - 05/04/12 09:21 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
Amateur Jerry Offline

Loc: Mokena, Illinois

A must for any new make / model across the board: "An improved external sound system."

I think every manufacturer has to look really hard at that. They have all come a long way in regards to touch and feel, but for some reason the DP's lack in this area. At least get the sound quality to match that of using a good pair of headphones (ie as in CD quality sound). Positioning the speakers to a more piano realistic effect would be helpful too.

I can't see any reason why we can get really good sound out of a mid grade computer with a set of desk speakers, but when it comes to DP's the manufacturer's haven't done that.

#1893627 - 05/08/12 05:01 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
Turnabout Offline

Originally Posted By: ozzienovice
One dealer has told me that the CA-63 is being replaced by CA-65 this month. Another says he knows nothing about it.
Have anyone heard about the new model?

All I read was this, about new RP- models and an F-120:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/05/02/roland-ships-new-digital-pinaos/

#1894061 - 05/09/12 10:17 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
manf Offline

Yes, there is a CA-65 coming soon!

#1894084 - 05/09/12 11:00 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]

Oh ...

Really?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Kawai CA95

#1894104 - 05/09/12 11:35 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
manf Offline

In Europe, the new CA63 is coming in september.
I would not know when it will arrive in the States though...

#1894114 - 05/09/12 11:52 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
I know this will sound stupid and impossible but it's just a dream of mine smile Why not Kawai cooperates with Modartt and put a simple Intel Atom CPU and whatever else is needed for running a very simple Linux and Pianoteq smile This will add about 150-200 Euro for the additional hardware and Pianoteq license but will open endless possibilities for tweaking the sound and the modeled part can be used alone or mixed with the sampled part, the Pianoteq sound can be upgraded. All this would certainly put V-Piano and SN under pressure smile

I had a dream... smile

#1894120 - 05/09/12 12:03 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: CyberGene]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: CyberGene
I know this will sound stupid and impossible but it's just a dream of mine smile Why not Kawai cooperates with Modartt and put a simple Intel Atom CPU and whatever else is needed for running a very simple Linux and Pianoteq smile This will add about 150-200 Euro for the additional hardware and Pianoteq license but will open endless possibilities for tweaking the sound and the modeled part can be used alone or mixed with the sampled part, the Pianoteq sound can be upgraded. All this would certainly put V-Piano and SN under pressure smile

I had a dream... smile

It is interesting that you should suggest this. I layer Pianoteq and my CA63 and get what I consider endless options and great sounds.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1894125 - 05/09/12 12:10 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
Karnevil Offline

There seems to be an unwritten law that digital pianos (stage and stationary) should be based on 10 year old DSP/CPU and sample technology, with the V-Piano as one exception when it first was introduced in 2009. Even with very expensive top-of-the-line instruments like AvantGrand unnecessary comprimises are made (and obvious faults introduced) to save some money here and there.
Not to sound all gloomy, but there is a lot of truth to this unfortunately..

#1894134 - 05/09/12 12:30 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've recently researched for building my own nettop PC. A motherboard with a built-in Atom CPU costs about 50 Euro and that's the end user price. Add to this the cheapest USB flash drive to install some trimmed Linux distro and buy Pianoteq Play for 99 Euro and you have a system ready to play Pianoteq for a total of about 150 Euro.

Yes, I know I can use a netbook and connect it externally, but a manufacturer integrated solution will be easier to use since it will switch on with the Power ON button and can be controlled via the piano buttons and display.

#1894293 - 05/09/12 05:06 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: CyberGene]
ONfrank Offline

Originally Posted By: CyberGene
I've recently researched for building my own nettop PC. A motherboard with a built-in Atom CPU costs about 50 Euro and that's the end user price. Add to this the cheapest USB flash drive to install some trimmed Linux distro and buy Pianoteq Play for 99 Euro and you have a system ready to play Pianoteq for a total of about 150 Euro.

There's a reason why Atom is so cheap and why very few companies build products around them. They're no better than P3 computers from the year 2000. Do not go that route.

#1903548 - 05/26/12 04:20 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
oivavoi Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi folks, I'm new in these forums and a complete DP-newbie. I just googled ca65 and this was the only thing that showed up!

The thing is: I had just about decided about purchasing a ca63, after reading so many raving reviews (and for my needs I don't need the ca93 or the more flashy CS6). But then my local dealer told me that kawai is discontinuing ca63, and he recommended that I should wait till "the fall" when ca65 would replace it. According to him it would be "both better and cheaper".

Question: do you think it's a good idea to wait? Is there any chance the ca65 will be significantly better? I don't know the track record of kawai - but I know from experience with other kinds of technology that new models not always represent improvements. Take ereaders from Sony, for example (I'm a devotee): the discontinued prs 950 model was simply superb, while the replacement prs t1 which was supposed be "better and cheaper" had lots of bugs initially, and simply a lesser model (with some new features, though).

Since so many people are SO happy with the ca63 it feels tempting to go for that one and not wait for the new model. But Kawai might have a history of consistently improving their models, perhaps?

I'll be glad for any opinions and advice!

#1903638 - 05/26/12 08:12 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: oivavoi]
ozzienovice Offline

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re last post about replacement for CA63, a local dealer told me yesterday that the CA65 will be announced in Australia in June. He also states that is why the CS6 is on special offer in Australia, as there is no CA63 stock and they want to move the CS6 before new model arrives.
Personally, I am waiting to see the CA65 before I make my mind up.

#1903640 - 05/26/12 08:17 PM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
8000 Post Club Member

oivavoi, Kawai does indeed have a history of consistently improving models - I certainly cannot recall a newer instrument being released with a lower specification.

Unfortunately, however, I'm afraid I cannot comment on Kawai instruments that have yet to be publicly announced - regardless of what dealers may be informing customers.

Just out of curiosity, given your reference to "the fall", am I correct in thinking that you're based in the US?

Kind regards,
James
x

#1903800 - 05/27/12 07:31 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
oivavoi Offline

Loc: Norway
Thanks for your replies!
Kawai James: Nope, I live in Norway. I guess my English has become Americanized by watching too many Hollywood movies;)

#1903808 - 05/27/12 08:00 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

[offtopic]
Come on, scandinavian movies are way better than Hollywood cr*p smile
[/offtopic]

I don't believe a replacement for CA63 will come so soon. It has the latest keyboard action and the latest piano sound. As I wild guess I would say: Musikmesse 2013 wink

Edited by CyberGene (05/27/12 08:01 AM)

#1903816 - 05/27/12 08:45 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: oivavoi]
Qbert Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: oivavoi
Nope, I live in Norway. I guess my English has become Americanized by watching too many Hollywood movies;)

It's really a shame that in Italy the movies are dubbed.
Watching movies and cartoons in english is the best way to learn the language, since you're a kid. mad
END OFF TOPIC !

Edited by Qbert (05/27/12 08:46 AM)

#1903856 - 05/27/12 10:48 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: Kawai James]

James

What month and year were the CA63 and CA93 officially unveiled to The World?

Kawai CA95

#1903858 - 05/27/12 10:56 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: McBuster]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
James

What month and year were the CA63 and CA93 officially unveiled to The World?

I think it was some time in 2009. That's when I first noticed them at a Kawai dealer I visit sometimes. That was late in 2009.

#1903861 - 05/27/12 11:04 AM Re: Kawai new model imminent - CA-65 replacing CA-63 ? [Re: ozzienovice]
8000 Post Club Member

The CA93/CA63 were officially announced by Kawai Japan on the 16/9/2009:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/press/2009/0916.asp

Cheers,
James
x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (anotherscott, beeboss, 36251, Al LaPorte, Atrys, 24 invisible), 1182 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153494 Topics
2249234 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
29 minutes 35 seconds ago
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
Today at 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission