2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 125 of 540 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 539 540
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Hmm, this is one of those "reverse" achievements wink

We're three weeks away from the next studio recital and I haven't memorized my pieces (well, not all sections) and this has never happened before?

My realization is that it takes less playing through to get the pieces close to performance ready. But without all that playing, the "automatic" memorization just isn't working! So, hard work ahead ... or use the music. Memorization is only compulsory for the kids in the studio grin

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Andy
I'm impressed that you CAN memorize. For some reason I can memorize vocal music easily but can't trust my memory on a classical piano piece. At our adult recital (we call them workshops) we all use music. It is certainly less intimidating to our new members that way and less likely to add to our stress level at any playing ability. When I played the Chopin last week I had the music but was surprised how close to memorized it was. Not quite though...we can blame Liszt for making us feel like we have to play it without sheet music...

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Mary Ann congratulations on your first public performance. Isn't it too bad we hear our own wrong notes when mostly the audience overlooks it. That's a great accomplishment and TWO pieces too. WOW

Casinitaly. We try to do duets every time we do a workshop. One of the other students did a Mozart concerto with our teacher. It was fabulous (she is very advanced) but she's taking a break over the summer from lessons...just stressed her out. One time we had four of us adult students do a two piano quartet. That was fun...you REALLY have to keep going and keep up to tempo.

Carlos..I hope your mom is much better. That is so cool that she cares to hear you play. Family support is inspiring

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Andy Platt, welcome to the world of those of us for whom memorization takes specific concentrated work.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Yesterday I read through Bach's English Suites 1-3, first page to last page. And then decided there is not much in there that is not too difficult for me at present.

I was a little surprised at how long they are (I'm used to suites with 4 or so movements, I guess).

Anyways, it's all part of a musical education!

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
I tried to play the first movement of Moonlight Sonata about a year ago and quickly realized that it was beyond my ability. I picked it up again yesterday. I am able to play through the first page! I'm pretty excited about that. I have been engrossed in a Joplin piece (The Weeping Willow) for the last few months. I have it thoroughly memorized, but can't seem to play all the way through without making mistakes. I have also learned a piece from a hymn book (How Great Though Art).....I am improvising that piece.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
MaryBee, I got curious about the relationship between Beethoven and Mozart....I know we have to take Wiki articles with a grain of salt, but here are some interesting points - including the fact that there seems to be no real evidence that they ever met face-to-face.
wiki article on Beethoven & Mozart's influence
Thanks for the link cas. That was interesting to read.

Carlos, that's so touching that your mom wants to have your music to listen to. And what a nice gift that will be to give her.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
MaryAnn - I cannot believe i missed your post about your first performance. Good for you. I would love to have piano friends. I loved your playing the left hand and right hand part with your friends. I used to do it a lot with my younger and much more talented brother. My current duet partner is doing doctorate in Pharmacy so she is very busy.. Right now I don't know anyone who I can invite..

My AoTW - I am very happy to report that Rach 23-5 is getting better. I bought an extension code today for recording. I used to use my husband's code then he wasn't very happy with me because I wound up unplugging everything, his laptop, etc. Generally speaking, my husband hates piano music. He particularly does not like this piece because it has a very loud part. He likes elevator music, some music that he can sleep with. Does anyone have similar spouse? I am planning to turn one of the rooms into a music room. I will change the double door to the room so that it won't interface with his TV. Ironically my dogs seem to love my music. They will come to the piano whenever I am playing. Charlie the puppy (5 months old Golden Retriever) loves it so much he put his head on my foot when I am pedaling. Emma (2.5 years old Golden Retriever) spread herself on the floor right next to piano. When I am playing the C section, she turns around to lie on her back and stretch her arms and legs as though she was mesmerized. I love them both.

I also played through the 3rd movement of Pathetique. I have not touched it for a while but it's still there... phew! I had fun playing some video music and movie music too. There was a thread about improvement.. I think one thing I notice that I got better is sight-reading. It's like night and day. When I first came back to piano after 20+ years of absence, I could not even imagine doing it. What's bad about this is I stopped doing rigorous HS practice. I have to consciously remind myself to practice HS whenever there is tricky sections.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Eglantine
Yesterday I read through Bach's English Suites 1-3, first page to last page. And then decided there is not much in there that is not too difficult for me at present.

I was a little surprised at how long they are (I'm used to suites with 4 or so movements, I guess).

Anyways, it's all part of a musical education!

Wow, you must be really good at sight reading. Good for you. I looked at English Suite and I know it's not something I can sight read easily. So I don't know how long it's going to take for me to read it from I through III.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt - Do not stress. IMO, 3 weeks is enough to memorize some sessions.

WiseBuff and MaryBee - My mom is getting better, thanks! The problem is that my wife went yesterday to the hospital because of a liver problem... Oh God, I think I'm going to take my DP to the hospital hall to play for my... family.

Eglantine - I think this is an excellent progress on your musical education. It's nice to know that you feel more and more confident.

Michael Taylor - Great progress! Great work! Congratulations.

FarmGirl - LOL, very funny. My advice: give a nice MP3 player to your husband, and an huge and comfortable pillow to your dog.

My AOTW: Due the liver problem of my wife I couldn't work on my Helen Jane Long piece..

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl
Hope you and your family is safe. Just heard that there was a large quake in northern Italy

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Cheryl
Hope you and your family is safe. Just heard that there was a large quake in northern Italy

Thank you, FarmGirl, we're fine.

The epicentre was about 200km from us - more or less in the same region as the quake 10 days ago.

This one was 5.8, the last one was 6.0 - our building shook in quite a horrible way, my furniture rattled and wobbled, 1 book fell off a shelf, but in the end, it was only "very unpleasant" and unnerving. It seems that the vibrations were felt all over the place in the north.

It is extremely strange. We've lived here for 18 years and until this year, we only ONCE felt any vibrations (about 8 years ago).

This year we have felt about 5 - 3 of which have lasted for between 30-40 seconds and seriously rattled us.

BBC article about the earthquake

It is uncomfortable, but there's no damage here.

Edited to add -- there is another one happening RIGHT THIS MINUTE......... AS I AM TYPING. About 15 seconds worth.
Oh, they make me feel ill....

Last edited by casinitaly; 05/29/12 06:58 AM. Reason: -earthquake hit.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm glade you're all fine!
Things in Europe are getting weird...

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Yes, very weird.
There are little aftershocks still going on.

Have you been having any in Portugal?

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So far, so good.
Last month we had some minor shakes in south region but they were only detected by the quake equipment. No injuries or building impact.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ah, that's good.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Glad you are OK Cheryl. Where was the epicenter? All is quiet in central Switzerland.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
The epicentre is near Modena - about 170km-200km from here.

We've been having repeated little wobbles for almost an hour now - my desk lamp and my glass of water show the vibrations.

My husband has phoned me twice today because he knows how much these shakes bother me.

[Linked Image]

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
CarlosCC, wishing your wife and mother quick recoveries to good health, and wishing you fortitude and peace as you help them through this time.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
CarlosCC, wishing your wife and mother quick recoveries to good health, and wishing you fortitude and peace as you help them through this time.

Me too!
I'm so sorry, I had not really ready through the posts earlier and missed what what going on.

You must be very stressed about the health of these two important women in your life.

[Linked Image]

Page 125 of 540 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission