Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 42 of 215 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 214 215 >
Topic Options
#1752415 - 09/14/11 12:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Never, never hesitate to bring ANY achievement to this thread - everything and anything, no matter how small , is perfectly relevant and highly desired!

I am often reluctant to post about that micro-improvement ... not worth talking about. Cumulatively, much better, each week - not so much.

However, yesterday's lesson was an example of the cumulative improvement. It's been months since I've done any sight reading at my lesson but we reached the sight reading page in my current theory book so away we went. Not that I played any of the pieces perfectly (nowhere close) but my teacher was very impressed with my improvement.

Five / ten minutes a day sight reading simple stuff does help!

Kawai K3

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1752416 - 09/14/11 12:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

This thread is for celebrating each and every baby step we take. Too often as adults we beat ourselves up for not being as good as we would like to be, not progressing as quickly as we think we should - and everyone whines about that once in a while - but here in this thread we ONLY talk about the up-side of our piano adventures. It has been terribly exciting to "grow up" (ok, just a little bit) in such excellent company.

I'm not good as I would like to be, not progressing as quickly as I think I should, and just plain mad at myself for being so incompetent and lacking discipline to practice more -- I'm on vacation, so I have no excuse. mad OK, on the flip side, I'm revisiting some old pieces I've learned in the past! but disappointed that I can't play them well.

#1752438 - 09/14/11 01:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Never, never hesitate to bring ANY achievement to this thread - everything and anything, no matter how small , is perfectly relevant and highly desired!

I am often reluctant to post about that micro-improvement ... not worth talking about. Cumulatively, much better, each week - not so much.

However, yesterday's lesson was an example of the cumulative improvement. It's been months since I've done any sight reading at my lesson but we reached the sight reading page in my current theory book so away we went. Not that I played any of the pieces perfectly (nowhere close) but my teacher was very impressed with my improvement.

Great to hear you are improving with the sight reading - and I agree, a little done often and regularly really does help.

As far as the micro-achievements go - I think the simple fact is that you ARE farther along the road, so you don't get frustrated over things that an adult who has truly just started putting their hands on the piano deals with.
It isn't quite as important to you to focus on these little things - and that's fine - we need a range of levels reporting here so that we can be inspired and say "just wait til I have trouble with xyz..." smile

Originally Posted By: Lain

I'm not good as I would like to be, not progressing as quickly as I think I should, and just plain mad at myself for being so incompetent and lacking discipline to practice more -- I'm on vacation, so I have no excuse. mad OK, on the flip side, I'm revisiting some old pieces I've learned in the past! but disappointed that I can't play them well.

That's the whole point Lain - we are often dis-satisfied with our progress. So much so that we don't even see the places where we HAVE made improvements.

For example - my first "after summer lesson" yesterday: I played my Gavotte by Handel for my teacher, and though I've played it about 100 times over the summer without errors, I flubbed it playing for her. I focused on the flub. She focused on the fact that I barely missed a beat, recovered and kept playing without making faces or sighing.

THAT was an accomplishment. Of course I would rather have not flubbed, but it does give me confidence to feel I might deal with future flubs in a reasonable fashion too.

We're at different levels , so different things are important - but my perspective is that if someone wants to come here a say "I did it!!!!" and do a happy dance, I want to dance with them and share the joy - so go for it folks!

#1752444 - 09/14/11 01:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

Andy, I second that! I supervise my younger daughters' practice during the week. She is wired differently than the older one, and has to read from the score - she's not a very good memorizer. I sight read level 1 John Thompson now, almost every day. smile I figure it's like killing 2 birds with one stone...3 birds, actually...quality time with the kids, they practice, and I work on sight-reading. We'll see if it makes me better too...lol

PS-I'm proud of the fact that I make these easy John Thompson pieces sound very musical now. smile

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1752468 - 09/14/11 02:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GrouchoMarx Offline

Last week I started working on Chopin's nocturne op 27 no 2 and have the first few pages memorized. It's starting to sound fairly good, so I'm really happy about my progress. Hope to play it decently by the turn of the year.

#1752470 - 09/14/11 02:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
I started lessons again after a month off. I was nervous (again!) but managed to show my teacher all I worked on during my off time.

I showed I can play the C F G and Bb scales both hands from memory. And do triads solid and broken for each hand with minimal stumbles. I learned both hands of Minuet in G minor (which is a song I had started just before the break) and then went on to learn Minuet in G major because I read here somewhere that those to have similar structures but sound very different. There is one more song too I learned and mostly was pleased it wasn't as hard as I thought at first site (a pleasant surprise!).oh oh forgot the name! It is from the Burgmuller exercises.

Not bad for somebody who spent most of August camping! This is only my 9th lesson and I am loving it. Looking forward to starting the prep for my Grade 2 RCM exam. She said maybe if you're ready we will book you in for January. I was surprised! I told her I picked my songs and etudes for the exam but picked what were for me the harder ones because this is all to make sure there are no gaps in learning/playing. she was impressed I think. I thought I may take all year to get ready (time will tell) so it felt really good to hear I may be ready in a few months!

Today is also my birthday and I sit and reflect how happy I am to have started this amazing journey! Thank you all for your encouragement and support. I have learned so much from all of you!

#1752471 - 09/14/11 02:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: KeysAngler]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
GardDawg

Quote:
I know how you feel ... my AOTW was to play some eighth notes before my teacher assigned them .. she's teaching Alfreds Adult Book One

I guess finding some good music on YouTube doesn't count but it sure is fun to listen to !!!

Does anyone here play rock or pop ... mostly I read about classical or jazz playing

Finding and listening to good music counts!! As does anything else, however small, that you think is worth celebrating as another step in your piano journey.

Just yesterday I discovered a jazz pianist who was previously unknown to me. Her name is Jessica Williams ( Jessica Williams Website ) and after seeing what folks like Dave Brubeck and McCoy Tyner have to say about her I feel like I've been living under a rock. Some of her original compositions are incredible (look for Soldaji or Flamenco Sketches) and she has a version of Summertime that is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Hardly a week goes by that I don't discover some new music from the threads here on PW.

So tell us what you've found and we'll celebrate with you.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1752476 - 09/14/11 03:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: GrouchoMarx]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congratulations GrouchoMarx!

That is such a beautiful piece. I hope you will find a way to post a recording when you are finished with it. If you don't mind my asking, how long have you been playing? Have you played any of the other Nocturnes? I only ask because I know I'm not ready for this yet but hope to be in the next year or two.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1752481 - 09/14/11 03:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ZoeCalgary]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZOE!!!!!!! thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#1752487 - 09/14/11 03:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ZoeCalgary]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Happy Birthday Zoe! I send you my wishes for many more years of piano enjoyment! smile

#1752491 - 09/14/11 03:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Happy Birthday Zoe!

#1752515 - 09/14/11 04:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
GrouchoMarx Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Congratulations GrouchoMarx!

That is such a beautiful piece. I hope you will find a way to post a recording when you are finished with it. If you don't mind my asking, how long have you been playing? Have you played any of the other Nocturnes? I only ask because I know I'm not ready for this yet but hope to be in the next year or two.

Jim

Thanks, I've been playing for about 2 years now. I currently play two other nocturnes (much easier op 9 no 2 and op 20). I think learning the lassan part of Liszt hungarian rhapsody 2 gave me some preparation for this piece(fast arpeggios in right hand and right hand interval(two semitones) notes) here is my recording of that piece if you're interested uTube.
I will definitely post a video of the nocturne whenever I play it well enough.

#1752524 - 09/14/11 04:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow. Groucho, please tell me you've played another instrument before taking up the piano. Whether you did or not you are obviously very talented.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1752529 - 09/14/11 04:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
GrouchoMarx Offline

Wow. Groucho, please tell me you've played another instrument before taking up the piano. Whether you did or not you are obviously very talented.

You flatter me, but I cannot please you. Never played another instrument. But I knew how to play The Flea Waltz really fast when I was a kid so maybe that helped.

#1752568 - 09/14/11 06:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
GardDawg

I feel like I've been living under a rock.
So tell us what you've found and we'll celebrate with you.

Jim

I may not live under a rock but I do live on one. Plantation Key. It's the next one west of Key Largo. I don't get off the rock very often.

Jessica Williams sounds very good. Thanks for the link.

I only recently heard The Heavy .. a neo soul band from England. After watching two seasons of Treme on HBO I've renewed my love of soul music.
So here is the video that I found.

#1752588 - 09/14/11 07:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Dulcetta Offline

Loc: U.K.
Happy birthday Zoe !

CasinItaly I promise to do the happy dance in this thread from now on.
Thanks to Paperclip and everyone else for the encouragement too.

If listening to good music counts, then I will add buying tickets for the Einaudi concert in November.

#1752730 - 09/15/11 03:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
shannonia Offline

Loc: Australia
After 2 years of learning, am finally able to play one of my dream songs-"Atlantique Nord" by Yann Tiersen. And it turns out it's not that hard. Yay!!

#1752731 - 09/15/11 03:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
shannonia Offline

Why is it we always "flub" when playing for our teachers?!! Sigh...

#1752760 - 09/15/11 04:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
Displaced Ficus Offline

Originally Posted By: jotur
Originally Posted By: Displaced Ficus
Also laid out a strategy for playing Ain't Misbehavin' in my Left Hand...

maybe you could aim for the November or Feb recital for us to hear it? (My Waller is probably next May or August :D).

um... there's a recital? Mine might be much, much later -- I'm both slow and shy. I'd love to hear one of yours, though.

#1752771 - 09/15/11 05:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Wow so much activitis in a couple of days. It's s wonderful thread. It's 3:30 AM and I should be preparing for today's class - I am teaching stat related class at work here this week. But I could not help peeking into.

My achievement of the week is that somehow I have been practicing in Utah. It's in public display in a busy music instrument rental / sale store here. So, it's quite embarrasing to screw up scales and hanon... but I do anyway. Good luck to everyone.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1752787 - 09/15/11 06:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Displaced Ficus, yes there is. See the top 3 topics on the first page for more info and the recitals.

I have another micro achievement to announce: nowadays I have to turn a page in the middle of a song, because I do 3 and 4 pages pieces in stead of the 1 or 2 pages I always used to. It is a bit awkward to do, because my hands are not free and on the keys. I guess it's another thing to learn. Next time I will ask my teacher how to do it.

Congrats for doing Yann Tiersen, Shannonia, and thank you for introducing that song to me. I never heard it before and it's a very beautiful piece.

Bye to you all,
Chris

#1752805 - 09/15/11 07:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PaperClip]
shannonia Offline

Yann Tiersen is amazing. His songs sound so simple and yet are so moving. Glad you like him Paperclip:)

Edited by shannonia (09/15/11 07:54 AM)

#1752886 - 09/15/11 10:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Displaced Ficus - yes, the online ABF recitals that Paperclip points to are quarterly. We've had participants with 3 weeks-50 years of experience, so they're really fun. But there's also much less formal Piano Bars every month, and those threads usually are titled "September Piano Bar" or whatever month it is.

But Waller's stuff is fun recital or no smile Keep us posted on how it's going -

Cathy

#1752887 - 09/15/11 10:42 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PaperClip]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Paperclip
Displaced Ficus, yes there is. See the top 3 topics on the first page for more info and the recitals.

I have another micro achievement to announce: nowadays I have to turn a page in the middle of a song, because I do 3 and 4 pages pieces in stead of the 1 or 2 pages I always used to. It is a bit awkward to do, because my hands are not free and on the keys. I guess it's another thing to learn. Next time I will ask my teacher how to do it.

Congrats for doing Yann Tiersen, Shannonia, and thank you for introducing that song to me. I never heard it before and it's a very beautiful piece.

Bye to you all,
Chris

Depending on how annoying the binding of the music is, you may want to just photocopy the pages and stick them together so you can lay them all out. thumb

#1753156 - 09/15/11 07:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jaak Offline

Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
Hi,

I have been practicing the Chopin op.10 no 2 for a week now and it starts to look like a piece. Not in the real tempo yet but moving in this direction without giving up.

But what a notice again and again.

Practicing is like untying a knot:
If you use force and pull hardly it will only strengthen the knot and create tensions.

If you release tensions, relax, take it slowly, play independently with each finger, listen carefully and so on it is like making the knot loosen up.

So you can always ask: am I pulling the knot or making it loosen up?

GL
Jaak

#1753158 - 09/15/11 07:22 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Originally Posted By: Lain
Depending on how annoying the binding of the music is, you may want to just photocopy the pages and stick them together so you can lay them all out. thumb

Great idea! Thanks! thumb

@Jaak, chopin op 10 no 2? Wow!! shocked

Chris

#1753235 - 09/15/11 10:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Jaak]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Jaak
Practicing is like untying a knot:
If you use force and pull hardly it will only strengthen the knot and create tensions.

If you release tensions, relax, take it slowly, play independently with each finger, listen carefully and so on it is like making the knot loosen up.

So you can always ask: am I pulling the knot or making it loosen up?

What a great analogy! thumb

#1753287 - 09/16/11 01:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Jim F., MaryBee, Lain, and Dulcetta thanks for the B-day wishes! And welcome aboard Dulcetta. You will find many fine folks here willing to help. I love reading this forum every day. I learn so much here and feel so welcomed. All the best as you go forward!

Now, I need to go find some of these songs folks have been talking about. I'm not family with them and feel a need to listen to them based on all the comments!

#1753370 - 09/16/11 06:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Ah, this week I played a ropey old harpsichord in front of a group of 12+ strangers, who I believe are all better players than me.

#1753410 - 09/16/11 08:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
[quote=Dulcetta](...) There are several of us I can think of right off the top of my head who have only been playing since the end of the year 2009 - so, we haven't even hit the 2 year mark yet.(...)

+1 thumb

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

.:: Visit the 'European Piano Party 2014 - EPP2014' thread ::.

Page 42 of 215 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 214 215 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (angga888, Atrys, adanepst, ando, Adypiano, Alux, 20 invisible), 1300 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249662 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission