2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 106 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 105 106
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
The truck didn't turn over very well Saturday morning.

My 9am was a 1940's era Baldwin Acro with a warped key bed. The hammers were more than an inch off the hammer rest rail at the low bass and high treble, graduating to about 1/4" off the rail in the center. The customer is 89 years old, and suddenly decided to learn the piano, so this was a $300 Craigs List find. Fortunately, there was enough capstan travel to get the end hammers on the rest rail and the rest of the action just needed a few minor repairs. Raised pitch and tuned. Finished about 12 noon.

Truck turned over a bit worse.

Went to the store and tuned a Steinway M - finished by 1:30pm.

This time the truck barely started, so off I went to the dealer, who replaced the battery. My 2pm tuning turned into 4pm, and my 4pm waited till 6pm, but everyone was happy, including me, as the dealer replaced the battery for free under the warranty- and I didn't lose money on missed tunings.

After sleeping late on Sunday, I spent the afternoon replacing flanges on a Yamaha vertical with broken spring cords. No butt plates, so I opted for re pinning flanges instead of gluing new cords.

Last edited by Bob; 08/02/10 12:35 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Won first place at the County Fair for a woodworking project. After investing in shop equipment I thought a wooden lock something Like This would be a good “getting to know you” project. There were three entries in the category and the 1st place price was $3! (The entry fee was $2…)

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Put my IT hat on this week. Purchased a new PC for the wife - Windows 7/Office 2007 - am now trying to get all of her transcription software to work with W7 & Word. Will someone please just let me tune a spinet with lots of false beats...PLEASE.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
IT...ouch!

Yesterday I tuned a spinet at a cafe/art gallery for a show this weekend, a Kawai upright for a music teacher, and a Kawai GM-12 petite grand 50 miles away (with a huge time gap between the last two). Rather than try to muster up another appointment to fill that gap, I decided to take my bike and gear so that I could ride up to the summit 3900 foot Mt. Diablo on a beautiful 72 degree day with a light breeze. Well worth it! Self employment does have its perks.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Came home early from vacation this week just to work. To darned busy not to work. But, am only tuning 1/2 days, mornings. Went to Dr. Found out I have a hernia, as I suspected. Need surgery. That's gonna be fun. NOT. OUCH. Oh well, I'm still busy as a beaver on a wood tick farm. Did that make any sense? Didn't think sooooo.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Jerry, I need to have that done to me too... not the beaver on a wood tick thingy either...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Yesterday a friend who is trying to do some piano tuning came over with a grand shank that he had pushed the bushing cloth out of. It is just an example of the trouble that you can get into with too little knowledge.

Aside from the bushing, the hole in the birdseye was enlarged and elongated. I fixed that, too.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Did you bonk him on the head with it afterward BDB?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BDB Offline
B
No, I showed him some of the tricks: how to prepare the cloth so it goes through the hole easily, tightening the birdseye by glueing a strip cut from a business card, that sort of thing.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Well, it is not about pianos all the time around here. Sometimes I take a break and do other projects...like this one.

A young fellow came to me about building a music box as a gift.

So I sent him off with some old decorative piano boards I had lying around here; you know ones with a lot of detail and scroll work on the inlay pieces of the front board. Sometimes the inlay pieces are ¼ inch hardwood and this is what is needed for a music box. He is busy carving them up into the correct size pieces. Then once constructed I have to colour and finish the unit.

Kind of a fun project actually....

http://picasaweb.google.ca/silverwoodpianos/MusicBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzwsdLS0ovR7wE#

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Sounds interesting Dan. A great idea. Could you post a picture of the finished or almost finished unit?

Tuner-Technician

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sure thing Byron,

When the unit comes back for colour and finishing I will take some shots and post them.

He is looking for midnight red. What you do is colour red mahogany or cherry and then successive coats of NGR black tint in the gun until you get the darkness you want.

So the item will appear black from 20 ft away and the when you get up REAL CLOSE you can see the red under-tone....

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tuned a Fazioli 278 earlier today ... Pretty neat piano !!

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
40th high school reunion tonight, first reunion I've been to. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

You will be surprised Dave. I was....

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
It was very interesting: Lots of old friends I'd forgotten about but was very happy to see. I had a good time, and ended up liking several people I never knew before, too!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
B
BDB Offline
B
Mine is later this year. I will not be going. It is in my busy season. Besides, I was only there a couple of years, and have had no contact with anyone I went there with since I graduated until this year.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Tuned 4 pianos today. 2 in 2 homes and 2 in a church. Arriving to the church, we found a very full parking lot which only means one thing.... A funeral... I had to kill two hours. The one piano was directly below (OF COURSE!) the sanctuary which could be heard up there. Of course, the other piano was in the sanctuary. So, we took a very looooooooooooooong lunch hour. 2 hours worth. Then, I dropped off my son to the church while I went and played around with EBVT III on my last tuning for the day. It came out pretty nice considering the piano was almost 1/2 tone flat when I arrived. Then, I went back to the church and helped my son finish up. Then, home, Toto, home I went.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
[...] Went to Dr. Found out I have a hernia, as I suspected. Need surgery.
[...]
Oh well, I'm still busy as a beaver on a wood tick farm.

@Jerry: Where is the hernia located - is it gonna be tricky to operate on? (Sorry if I miss out on the subtleties of language)

Speaking of ticks, I took up my fallowed field soccer career last week (local division 6 play), but my positive thinking got some several blows right from the beginning. During the first game (in the intermission pee-pause), a tick decided that I was worth clinging too. Removed after about 24 hrs, it still gave me a tickle fever.

Next game, I got a muscle rupture in my right thigh - giving me a bruise the size of an over-sized post card. Needless to say, hurting as h*ll.

So I think higher powers are throwing hints at me - they really think I should end vacation and do some less dangerous work.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Patrick,

I answered your question via PM! I'm not saying it here!!! blush

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 33 of 106 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission