Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1904724 - 05/28/12 11:18 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
My single internal drive is working ok for me too, and I also have a pretty ordinary laptop by today's standards, and I'm using a different product (East West QL Pianos) which is, I think, more demanding of the disk. Having said that, I'm no Rachmaninoff, and I know how to configure my computer. Also, my disk is a 7200rpm drive - not 5400.

One thing you could do is to spend 5 bucks on an 8GB USB FLASH drive, and try putting the samples on that. I think that should work pretty well, even though it's only USB 2.0. (I have seen reports from others that are doing this, but I can't remember what piano software they were using - I think it was either Synthogy Ivory and/or Galaxy/Vintage D) If that still doesn't work very well, your problem may not be related to the disk.

Other general things to look at:
- Make sure your processor is locked at the maximum frequency.
- Disable your network interface and close down other programs that you don't need while playing the piano
- Try to ensure that background housekeeping tasks are not running. (e.g disk defragging).

I don't use a Mac so I can't be very specific.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (05/28/12 11:37 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1904795 - 05/29/12 02:04 AM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: MacMacMac]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
No need to get snitty. A single internal drive will certainly work. It works just fine on my six-year-old POS laptop.

I wasn't trying to be "snitty". I was the only one here that bothered to look up the Vintage D manufacturer's recommendations for him. According to the Vintage D manufacturer the external drive he bought meets the minimum requirements, so it might work. Unless he proposes to return it, why not just try it?

Instead, what he proposed to do, and what you told him to do above, does not meet the manufacturers requirements. You aren't using a Mac, so how do you know that Vintage D is going to work while he is running and recording his performance in Garageband at the same time off the same system disc? Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but that's precisely the kind of thing (amongst other things) that I'll bet the manufacturer was concerned about. What else does he have running off the system disc at the same time? We don't know, but the manufacturer realizes (and I realize) that could cause problems too. And just because something might work the first time he tries it is no guarantee it will keep working as he makes future changes or additional demands on the system.

As someone that has designed, manufactured, sold, and supported my own products, I've seen customers that refuse to follow the minimum requirements for using a product. It may work at first and then later fail when something in the system is changed.

Another way to meet all the Vintage D manufacturer's requirements (and meet the requirements of manufacturer's that recommend against USB 2 drives) without replacing the Macbook he has (which has no firewire interface), would be to replace the optical drive with a 7200 rpm drive (or an SSD), and use an external USB Superdrive when he really needed it ($79 from Apple). He has already suggested he might replace the 5400 rpm drive with a new 7200 rpm drive, so why not replace the optical drive instead and now have 2 drives as recommended by ALL manufacturers (that I have seen). The next Macbook Pro's won't have an internal optical drive anyway (according to most reports). Of course, he could also consider replacing the old Macbook with a Macbook Pro (which would have Firewire 800) when prices drop soon ahead of new models, or consider one of the new Macbook Pro's when they arrive. He might appreciate the additional CPU horsepower for the other tasks he mentioned.

Edited by Macy (05/29/12 02:07 AM)

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1904861 - 05/29/12 06:35 AM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Can a disk drive fit into a DVD-drive slot?

#1904886 - 05/29/12 07:45 AM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: MacMacMac]
musicmad Offline

Loc: London England
Thanks for your logical response MacMacMac. I was simply trying to explain to Macy that the speed of the External 7200 RPM Drive will not be of any benefit now to the Sample Library due to the drop down speed of the USB2 BUS. Therefor installing the Library on the internal 5400 RPM Drive will be more efficient in speed times then going with the 7200 RPM under USB2.

Quote:
Then, if storage is in short supply on his computer and he's forced to replace it with a larger drive, he'll almost certainly buy a 7200 RPM unit anyway. And that, too, will work.

Exactly.

Edited by musicmad (05/29/12 08:01 AM)

#1904899 - 05/29/12 07:59 AM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
musicmad Offline

Quote:
My single internal drive is working ok for me too, and I also have a pretty ordinary laptop by today's standards, and I'm using a different product (East West QL Pianos) which is, I think, more demanding. Also, my disk is a 7200rpm drive - not 5400.

Thats because a 7200 RPM is a "Performance Drive" it can take the weight

Edited by musicmad (05/29/12 09:57 AM)

#1904909 - 05/29/12 08:28 AM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
musicmad Offline

Quote:
According to the Vintage D manufacturer the external drive he bought meets the minimum requirements, so it might work.

No it won't. The 7200 RPM Drive will spin off the samples at 7200 Rotations Per Minute, but once hitting the USB2 BUS it will be like a slow walk across the park until it gets from the 7200 RPM Drive to the Mac, whereas using the internal 5400 RPM Drive will avoid this problem.

#1905077 - 05/29/12 02:34 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: MacMacMac]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Can a disk drive fit into a DVD-drive slot?
Yes, it's done all the time on Macs for situations like this. Its simple and inexpensive to add a 2nd 2.5" 7200 rpm SATA drive, or you could add an SSD that way.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1905080 - 05/29/12 02:39 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wow! $65
For that much money, you could simply replace the internal drive with a bigger one.

#1905083 - 05/29/12 02:44 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: musicmad
Quote:
According to the Vintage D manufacturer the external drive he bought meets the minimum requirements, so it might work.

No it won't.

Do you have reading comprehension problem or do you simply think you know more about Vintage D than people that designed it?

From the Vintage D page on the Galaxy Instruments website:

We recommend to install the Galaxy II library not on the same drive as the system, nor on the same drive that is used for recording or playing digital audio tracks. Plus the drive for the library should be a fast harddrive (at least 7200 rpm), either internal or with a fast external interface (recommended Firewire 800, minimum USB 2.0 or Firewire 400).

Originally Posted By: musicmad
The 7200 RPM Drive will spin off the samples at 7200 Rotations Per Minute, but once hitting the USB2 BUS it will be like a slow walk across the park until it gets from the 7200 RPM Drive to the Mac, whereas using the internal 5400 RPM Drive will avoid this problem.

There is more to this drive issue than the maximum sustained throughput of the interface. That is only one aspect of the problem.

#1905150 - 05/29/12 04:47 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You were speaking to musicmad, but I'll put in an opinion ...

I would PREFER not to use a USB-connected drive. Yet people have had success with USB that.

I don't see anything in the Vintage D recommendation that says it won't work. So how do you go from ...
(a) "we recommend that it not be on the same drive as the system"
and
(b) "minimum USB 2.0" ...
... to "it won't work" and "do you have reading comprehension problem"?

My reading comprehension says that the requirements have been met!

#1905206 - 05/29/12 06:30 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: MacMacMac]
musicmad Offline

Thanks for your support MacMacMac.

After much thought I've decided to replace the 5400 RPM Drive for a 7200 RPM 500GB Drive.
Hope this way to gain better performance all round.

"It's all about speed"

Edited by musicmad (05/29/12 06:33 PM)

#1905264 - 05/29/12 09:03 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: MacMacMac]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

You were speaking to musicmad, but I'll put in an opinion ...

I would PREFER not to use a USB-connected drive. Yet people have had success with USB that.

I don't see anything in the Vintage D recommendation that says it won't work. So how do you go from ...
(a) "we recommend that it not be on the same drive as the system"
and
(b) "minimum USB 2.0" ...
... to "it won't work" and "do you have reading comprehension problem"?

My reading comprehension says that the requirements have been met!

YES THAT IS WHAT I SAID. I SAID USB 2.0 meets the minimum requirements of Vintage D, so he should try the USB 2.0 drive if he doesn't plan to return it. That's what I SAID. Then musicmad quoted what I said and replied that it wouldn't work because its USB!

So you agree with me, but you are supporting what he said that disagrees with you and me, and arguing with me???? Are you sure your reading comprehension is working? smile

#1905275 - 05/29/12 09:24 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just btw, the reason I suggested musicmad try the USB FLASH drive is that I was of the understanding that he had already tried the external 7200rpm drive:
Quote:
Your probably right. I purchased the WD 7200rpm External Drive for speed purposes, which has now been defeated by the slow BUS of the USB 2.0.
Musicmad: if you haven't tried it, I second Macy's suggestion.

Greg.

#1905302 - 05/29/12 10:43 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: musicmad]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

(and for that matter, I also second MacMacMac's early suggestion of simply trying the existing internal 5400rpm drive). FWIW.

#1905708 - 05/30/12 06:45 PM Re: Western Digital HD For Music ??? [Re: sullivang]
musicmad Offline

It's nice to have a forum where community users help to support each other.

Thanks to Macy and everyone else for your support.

Musicmad.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
09/16/14 06:58 AM
VPC1 Order Cancelled
by EmptySpace
09/16/14 06:16 AM
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
87 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, anotherscott, Badinage, 27 invisible), 1031 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157556 Topics
2314233 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission