Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1907281 - 06/02/12 06:05 PM Beethoven's Hair
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
:An Extraordinary Historical Odyssey and Scientific Mystery Solved.

I just picked up this book a few weeks ago at a library sale and am 2/3 of the way through it. I think it's absolutely sensational and fascinating. Part Beethoven biography but mostly the story of all the different people who possessed this lock of Beethoven's hair starting with the important pianist/composer Ferdinand Hiller(who as a young boy clipped it off Beethoven the day after his passing).

It's kind of like Mr. Langford's Square Piano but much more interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethovens-Hair-Extraordinary-Historical-Scientific/dp/076790351X

Anyone else read it?

Edited by pianoloverus (06/02/12 06:09 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1907289 - 06/02/12 06:24 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I've read it and re-read it, met the author, know the director of the Beethoven Center, etc. I've mentioned it more than once on the forum, but, apparently, you didn't notice.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1907300 - 06/02/12 06:43 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
BUt is the conclusion that there was lead in LvB's hair, compatible with lead poisoning?
My understanding is that this theory of fatal lead poisoning has been discredited.
THe reports of his last days and of his autopsy clearly show that he died of liver failure (cirrhosis) though the etiology is unclear. Probably hepatitis, made worse by alcohol. He did have to undergo abdominal taps to release large amounts of fluid from his abdomen (ascites) and there was some conjecture that wound dressings may have ocntained large amountS of lead. But his doctor's notes clearly say that he kept the wounds dry.
I read some of this info in an article by Professor Eisinger from Mount Sinai that was freely available on the internet. But it is dated 2008. I do not know if there has been any evidence or new data since. Does nayone know?

What does that book conclude?

Edited by Andromaque (06/02/12 07:59 PM)

#1907304 - 06/02/12 06:50 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Haven't read the book - but saw the lock of hair at the British Museum in 1970 as part of an exhibit commemorating LVB's 200th B-day. All that separated me from the reddish-brown lock was about 12 inches and a pane of glass. It actually was an emotional experience, and, as far as I was concerned, it was the best thing I saw at the Museum that afternoon.

#1907305 - 06/02/12 06:54 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I read it when it came out. It's a great historical adventure story.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1907314 - 06/02/12 07:21 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I'm more interested in Chopin's preserved heart in Poland, though I don't believe it can be viewed - really disappointing. frown

#1907317 - 06/02/12 07:29 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I've read the book and recommend it.

Deborah

#1907341 - 06/02/12 08:24 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: scherzojoe
I'm more interested in Chopin's preserved heart in Poland, though I don't believe it can be viewed - really disappointing. frown

grin thumb

#1907352 - 06/02/12 09:01 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music

No, you can't, but you can still feel the power:

Music is my best friend.

#1907365 - 06/02/12 09:44 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

This may sound creepy but they should have preserved his whole body and made him accessible to the public. Imagine standing next to Chopin today, and looking into his face. I think I would literally cry.

#1907371 - 06/02/12 10:07 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: JoelW]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
This may sound creepy but they should have preserved his whole body and made him accessible to the public. Imagine standing next to Chopin today, and looking into his face. I think I would literally cry.

That is creepy, but Chopin fans are funny that way. smile

#1907377 - 06/02/12 10:19 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: Damon]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Damon

And Liszt fans aren't? laugh

#1907384 - 06/02/12 10:50 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It would be definitely be a wonderful experience!

Music is my best friend.

#1907386 - 06/02/12 10:57 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: argerichfan]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

I think anyone with a sentimental connection to a particular historical figure can feel this way. It's such an odd feeling - I don't even really know how to put it into words.

#1907389 - 06/02/12 11:13 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: argerichfan]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: argerichfan

I wonder if you took the opportunity to actually imagine a man, 163 years or so dead, being preserved for public display, looking into his face, and crying. That's disturbing.

#1907390 - 06/02/12 11:15 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: JoelW]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

I don't know what you think a "preserved" body looks like, but trust me, it really doesn't looked preserved. "Preserved" is a relative term. It looks very gory and denatured. It's not the sort of thing to inspire glorious memories of artistic triumphs. More like it will put you off your dinner and give you a few nightmares. Not only that but the body still keeps decaying - albeit at a slower rate. Not to mention the idea that the generally accepted idea that the dead should be put to rest...

#1907394 - 06/02/12 11:23 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: Damon]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's an absurd thought, not meant to be taken too seriously - but I'm sure a body would remain in fantastic condition for that long in a vat of formaldehyde.

#1907420 - 06/03/12 12:18 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: JoelW]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
It's an absurd thought, not meant to be taken too seriously - but I'm sure a body would remain in fantastic condition for that long in a vat of formaldehyde.

Another absurd thought, right?

#1907453 - 06/03/12 02:26 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: carey]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: carey
Haven't read the book - but saw the lock of hair at the British Museum in 1970 as part of an exhibit commemorating LVB's 200th B-day. All that separated me from the reddish-brown lock was about 12 inches and a pane of glass. It actually was an emotional experience, and, as far as I was concerned, it was the best thing I saw at the Museum that afternoon.

It IS an emotional experience isn't it? By the way, that's not the same lock of hair.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1907461 - 06/03/12 03:22 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: stores]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

It IS an emotional experience isn't it? By the way, that's not the same lock of hair.

Actually, I figured that might be the case. I recall that the clipping I viewed in 1970 was obtained by someone other than a young boy. ha And yes, it was an emotional experience - as well as a bit of a shock since, at the time, I wasn't aware that any locks of Beethoven's hair had been preserved.

As for Chopin, I stood by his grave in Paris (Pere Lachaise Cemetery) for a long long time about six years ago. Folks place fresh flowers on it everyday. Very touching.

#1907468 - 06/03/12 04:05 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: carey]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

As for Chopin, I stood by his grave in Paris (Pere Lachaise Cemetery) for a long long time about six years ago. Folks place fresh flowers on it everyday. Very touching.

Me too. I almost thought I had to spend the night there because it was very late and I hadn't noticed. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1907484 - 06/03/12 06:54 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So no one knows about the lead story's conclusions? I know that the lock of hair testing came through the Ira Brilliant Center which owns most of the hair in the Hiller locket. Do they endorse those results? or is the story considered still unsettled?

#1907504 - 06/03/12 08:19 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: ChopinAddict]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Me too. I almost thought I had to spend the night there because it was very late and I hadn't noticed. smile

Aw nuts. I was in Paris last month and forgot all about that.

#1907616 - 06/03/12 02:06 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: Andromaque]

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
So no one knows about the lead story's conclusions? I know that the lock of hair testing came through the Ira Brilliant Center which owns most of the hair in the Hiller locket. Do they endorse those results? or is the story considered still unsettled?
I didn't read the results of the hair testing very carefully, but I think the book's conclusion was that lead poisoning was the likely cause of most of the large number of ailments Beethoven suffered during his life. I don't think the book said lead poisoning was the direct cause of death.

#1907761 - 06/03/12 07:02 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I didn't read the results of the hair testing very carefully, but I think the book's conclusion was that lead poisoning was the likely cause of most of the large number of ailments Beethoven suffered during his life. I don't think the book said lead poisoning was the direct cause of death.

Not to belabor the subject, but this is an interesting topic. How did they reach the conclusion about the lead poisoning through Beethoven's life? By history or by testing the hair? If the hair was taken close to the scalp the day after LvB died, it will only reflect the last few days to months of his life and therefore cannot be used to comment on his health months or years ago.
(Hair grows 1 cm per month, from the root.)

#1907777 - 06/03/12 07:15 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: Andromaque]

Not to belabor the subject, but this is an interesting topic. How did they reach the conclusion about the lead poisoning through Beethoven's life? By history or by testing the hair? If the hair was taken close to the scalp the day after LvB died, it will only reflect the last few days to months of his life and therefore cannot be used to comment on his health months or years ago.
The hairs were quite long. I don't think they ever claimed to be sure that B had lead poisoning for a long time, but said that lead poisoning could explain all of B's many ailments during his lifetime.

#1907799 - 06/03/12 07:39 PM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The hairs were quite long. I don't think they ever claimed to be sure that B had lead poisoning for a long time, but said that lead poisoning could explain all of B's many ailments during his lifetime.

Here is an interesting article that critiques the lead findings.

Article

#1907952 - 06/04/12 02:22 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: stores]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

So this is the reddish-brown lock

and this the other one?

I agree that it must be an emotional experience!

Music is my best friend.

#1907956 - 06/04/12 02:38 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: pianoloverus]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I just bought the book. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1908045 - 06/04/12 07:57 AM Re: Beethoven's Hair [Re: Andromaque]

Here is an interesting article that critiques the lead findings.

Article
Without going into much detail, it seems like the author of the article(which I only skimmed)wasn't that familiar with the book. For example the book gave a specific value for the lead content of B's hair and also explained how the hair was "cleaned" beforehand so that any traces of chemicals on the outside of hair were removed. If I read the article correctly, the author doesn't seem to think this information was in the book.

For me, the story of everyone involved with B's hair was the really interesting part of the book. Not whether the scientific findings were the last word or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (36251, A Guy, A Flat Minor, Adypiano, 39 invisible), 1710 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156223 Topics
2294356 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
07/28/14 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
07/28/14 08:52 AM
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
07/28/14 08:11 AM
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
07/28/14 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission