Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#1912510 - 06/12/12 08:49 PM Re: Non-Rant - EBVT vs ET - Civillian Pianist [Re: Bill Bremmer RPT]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Bill Bremmer RPT
Oh WOW!!! Somebody in Emmery's area wants their piano tuned in the EBVT!!! This is truly unprecedented! I have never known an advertising campaign to be so effective!

Totally uncalled for Bill.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1912515 - 06/12/12 09:09 PM Re: Non-Rant - EBVT vs ET - Civillian Pianist [Re: Olek]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Kamin

The reports I had is that part of it is good and part of it irritating wink

Well I've had "reports" from people about movies or songs or cars which people have liked or disliked and I've always found that their "reports" often had nothing to do with my own subsequent "report".

Remember, a "report" is nothing more than a personal "opinion" and when it comes to myself I only decide something after researching or experiencing an issue personally.

Quote:

But talking about stability, good to you if you can pay for tunings often, most of my customers prefer some maintenance and tunings less often. 6 months for the ones that play. A lot, but way less once the instrument is. Stable for many of them.

Considering that any piano in ET that gets somewhat out of tune is often further out than EBVT3 is from ET I don't see how any of this insinuation of a "lack of stability" is going to fly.

I may not be a professional piano tuner personally (although I regularly tuned my old Emerson upright myself) but I have taken several university Physics courses in Sound Theory so I am very much interested in experiencing something other than ET on my piano in order to see how it sits with my brain PERSONALLY.

Although my tuner prefers ET personally he has stated that he has absolutely no problem tuning it EBVT for me if I so wish.

#1912531 - 06/12/12 09:54 PM Re: Non-Rant - EBVT vs ET - Civillian Pianist [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Sparky, funny that you say that. Often times I hate movies that end up getting good reviews, and end up liking ones that got totally panned.

#1912650 - 06/13/12 03:20 AM Re: Non-Rant - EBVT vs ET - Civillian Pianist [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
I also prefer something true to somethong perfect. If you where kerping concert pianos in tune you would understoo what I mean about stability.

Having the wire and the tuning pin in its prefered place ( ever noticed how pin and wire seem to come back to a previously knokn place when tuning, Loren? ) is a long task and tuners are attentive not to change too drastically a concert piano.
But any experience is possible without real harm.. no problem there.

In The main problem of a generation of tuners there is that thir tuning method directly address beats, leaving the whple tone apart. Hopefully many tuners dont really listen and simply tune the piano.
The need for logical explanations and a simplified method makes those strange tunings nzmed ET in some part of the world. They are often poorly consonant for a reason that escapes me but that I suppose is what I said above. Then any new harmony would be prefered. In regions where tuninv is more learned by doing. the result is more surprizing to the ear and no need for added contrast between tonalities is perceived.
Sorry to say that most tunings I heard have the aspect of good tuning but the body and heart is rare. It may be easier then for tthe tuner to work from an UT.

#1912715 - 06/13/12 08:19 AM Re: Non-Rant - EBVT vs ET - Civillian Pianist [Re: Olek]
Tribbs Offline

Loc: Madtown
Originally Posted By: Kamin
Welcome Trtibbs , it is good to see new people on the forum
Thank you for your welcome, Kamin.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
4 minutes 19 seconds ago
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
40 minutes 6 seconds ago
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Today at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Today at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Today at 06:56 PM
Who's Online
131 registered (angga888, ando, anamnesis, accordeur, anotherscott, 36251, 39 invisible), 1419 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325886 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission