2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
Coming up soon.

I've never given a masterclass before. Or attended one. I haven't taught piano for decades.

Do students play, then you offer your opinion, then they play again?

Anything else I should know?

P.S. Yes, I'm serious.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Interesting dilemma! If you've never taught a masterclass before nor ever attended one, how do you hope to be able to give one? It's also interesting that a performing musician has never attended a masterclass.

Did you just find out about this? If so, this raises lots of other questions:
- why have you never attended a masterclass?
- why do you "have to" give a masterclass?
- why have you been chosen?
- do you know the performers?
- have you been given a list of their repertoire?
- do you know the repertoire?
- do you know the repertoire well enough to demonstrate passages?
- etc ?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Just yell at them for how bad they are.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Isn't that question a little like, "Help, I'm a doctor and I'm supposed to perform surgery - what do I do?"

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Just yell at them for how bad they are.

laugh Yeah, just insult them and explain to them how they must make the melody sing.

C
C
Originally Posted by scherzojoe
Isn't that question a little like, "Help, I'm a doctor and I'm supposed to perform surgery - what do I do?"

halol

OP- What I would do in your position is the following: Call them and explain that you have no idea how to give a masterclass and recommend they find someone more qualified.

Last edited by CleverName; 06/13/12 04:50 PM.
Online Content
Most of the master classes I've seen have been very similar to a private lessons.

R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
The school assured me it will be fine. Though I voiced my concerns, the school is not worried. A rep list was provided and I know some, but not all, of it. I think the assumption is that someone at my level and overall experience is qualified.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Joseph,

Here's some ideas...

1. Try to guess who, amongst the students, is best qualified, or your chemistry fits his/hers, or somehow appears to be more communicative, and the start off with him/her, unless theer's a sequence list given to you.

2. Try to feed off what the students give you. Base your comments on what they play, what they say, how the seem to be acting and feeling.

3. Have a few ideas on what to say if something goes wrong, or if something goes right. Find ways to 'fill in the gap' in times when you're asking something to teh audience (should that happen) and nobody replies.

4. As you may have assumed thus far my experiences are mostly to lectures, rather than masterclasses, which are not the same. Masterclasses are basically open 1-1 lessons... However personally, I don't fancy that. I do feel that a masterclass could be the opportunity for an open source kind of thing lesson. Like the whole team commenting, and taking part, rather than sitting back waiting for their turn passively.

5. For whoevers shake do NOT yell to the students. Really...

6. But, is the masterclass geared towards contemporary music (since this is what you're focused, as far as I know)? If so, it's fine. If not by all means introduce them to some works, ideas, etc.

7. And I'm pretty certain that all the students would like to hear stories and comments about real life and the life of a true professiuonal pianist!

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Don't be such wet blankets, folks!

I have no doubt this masterclass isn't for super-advanced students. I'm sure they've chosen RealPlayer because his/her level of experience is appropriate to the situation.

RP, you pretty much have it right. A masterclass is not all that different to giving a normal lesson. Your students will have prepared pieces for the class. Your job is to listen to their performance and think about what might be improved readily within the class. Then have them attempt to do what you are asking. Because it's a class, you also want to make your commentary applicable to everybody so don't refrain from making general observations as well as observations specifically for the player concerned.

Just have fun though. It's not as intimidating as it might seem. Remember, you are the master - you have to believe in your own thoughts and deliver them with authority. Keep an eye on the clock so you don't run out of time for each performer.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, Nikolas and Ando, for your thoughtful and helpful replies. I really appreciate that.

Yes, it's 20th - 21st century repertoire.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
The school assured me it will be fine. Though I voiced my concerns, the school is not worried. A rep list was provided and I know some, but not all, of it. I think the assumption is that someone at my level and overall experience is qualified.

What brainiacs at the school eh? Apparently, you've not ENOUGH experience (none), which only makes me want to ask why you agreed to do this in the first place? I'll say no more, since it is probable that I'd more than likely rant a bit and I'm in no mood to ruin my day.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Online Content
Originally Posted by stores

What brainiacs at the school eh? Apparently, you've not ENOUGH experience (none), which only makes me want to ask why you agreed to do this in the first place? I'll say no more, since it is probable that I'd more than likely rant a bit and I'm in no mood to ruin my day.
Your concern about "ruining your day" is selfish in the extreme.

Every master class giver had to give their first master class at one point in their life. It seems to me that RealPlayer's extensive experience performing and recording contemporary music is probably why the institution asked him and a very good reason to do so.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/13/12 06:24 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Perhaps you could cruise YouTube and find some examples just to give you an idea. There are lots of them on there (piano and other instruments as well).

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
You can shape a masterclass any way you wish. It's a performance, and it belongs to you. You can tell stories, you can play a little if you wish, and you do some seat-of-the-pants teaching. It's a stupid learning format, according to some of us, but you're still the master. However you handle it, you will be better than Mme Olga Kern (see my thread on her grim, autocratic approach).

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
If you get paid in cash, the experience will have been a success.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
A
A
RealPlayer, I'm sure you will be fine! Sometimes I also have doubts when starting a new freelancing job (non-music related) which touch on some aspects that I have no experience in, but the employers hire me for a reason and that is because they see the specific skills needed from me that I tend to overlook or underestimate. Sometimes you are your own worst critic. Best of luck.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Have you read "The Perfect Wrong Note" by William Westney?
He discusses master classes and gives examples of his.

Piano Teacher
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Go to youtube and search for "Piano Masterclass". Perhaps not the first match though:

Then again ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
B
Coming up soon.

I've never given a masterclass before. Or attended one. I haven't taught piano for decades.

Do students play, then you offer your opinion, then they play again?

Anything else I should know?

P.S. Yes, I'm serious.

Here's what works for me:

1. Pick your battles. If the student needs help with their sound quality, work on that. If they need help with their technique, work on that. Since you'll probably only have 30 minutes or so per student, don't fret over being able to fix everything. Help with the most pressing need.

2. Talk to the audience 50% and the student 50%. Keep everyone informed, engaged, and part of the learning process. NEVER turn your back to the audience.

3. Illustrate at the piano! If possible, get the rep ahead of time and read through it.

4. Ask the students lots of questions. It's often easier to identify problems this way.

5. For the love of God, don't humiliate anyone. No one likes those sorts of master classes. They aren't helpful and it only makes the clinician look like a jackass.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission