2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum. I joined because I want to ask you all about the Numa Nero. I have seen a couple of topics about it here from a year ago, infact, the first thing I saw when I typed Numa Nero in Google was something like "Warning. Avoid the Nero"

It's been a few years now since this mention and I'm wondering if anyone has had good experiences with this piano, function wise?

No one sells it here in AUS, but I'm planning on purchasing it, but I'm a bit hesitant because of the reviews and comments about the velocity not responding right and also loud random notes playing when playing fast repeated notes. Maybe the people who posted bad reviews just had a dodgy keyboard? Or maybe the comments were try and Studio Logic has taken care of the issues?

I'd appreciate your time!

Dan

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
DPBSD review of the Numa Piano here.

Due to severe quality control issues I avoid anything made by Studiologic.

[EDIT]I'm a bonehead, confused the Numa Nero with the Numa Piano. Mistakes were made, etc.

Last edited by dewster; 06/09/12 02:52 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Destaana, welcome to the forum!

I do not have the Numa Nero, but I do have the Numa Piano. IMO, there are three points to consider when dealing with Studiologic instruments:

1. Support is virtually non-existent, so if you have a problem that is not a warranty repair you're likely on your own.

2. Studiologic software is generally somewhat buggy and sometimes not very well implemented.

3. The Fatar actions don't play quite as well as the best Roland, Kawai or Yamaha actions. It can be challenging to create velocity curves that suit your chosen software. I find that I expend too much effort and concentration trying to get the action in my Numa to respond to the dynamics of my playing.

So, in summary, the concept behind the Studiologic products is good, but the implementation is not as good as other manufacturers.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys

It's such a tough choice. I really like heavy weighted keys. The Rolands are too light for me personally. I'm just looking for something that's heavy weighted like a real grand. It's a tough choice and now I'm finally seeking some advice...

My head is spinning!

D
OP Offline
D
Also. I saw someone mentioned that the keys on the Nero aren't actually wooden keys, they are fake? Is this true?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Edited my post above, my bad.

Destaana, if you get one you might want to plug it into a MIDI sequencer and look at the velocity data coming from it. With our older SL controller some velocity codes were reportedly missing (saw this in fora after the guy I sold it to complained about it). Some report trouble with excessive pitch wheel codes getting spit out. The plastic was disintegrating as well, and it came from the factory with half the aftertouch not functioning. Tale of woe here.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
If you want a good controller with excellent action, you might want to check out the Kawai MP6.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Fatar talks about the TP/40WOOD action here:

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40WOOD.htm

Kostil is a Styrene plastic, it seems the black keys are plastic, and the white keys are primarily plastic with wood laminations on the sides. Yamaha plays this game too IIRC, it's rather deceptive IMO.

Ah yes, here it is. Yamaha's NW-STAGE action, which is plastic with wood glued to the sides.

V
V
Originally Posted by Destaana

No one sells it here in AUS, but I'm planning on purchasing it, but I'm a bit hesitant because of the reviews and comments.....

I was curious when I first started looking into Digital pianos as I liked the designs of the Numa's but not being able to try the Numa's here in AUS made me strike them off the list pretty early. Buying online is a gamble at best of times, and reading alot of reviews about the quality wasn't reassuring.
Maybe consider the Kurzweil's - similar controller features, price, and fatar action (which I am not a fan of). Consider the Casio px3 as well - better quality, cheaper, and better action. Both available locally. Or If you are looking to spend more $$$, the aforementioned Kawai.

What the.....did i just do a "consider" post?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If I were looking to buy the most authentic feeling AP action, the first thing I'd check out would be a KAWAI MP10 (or similar) with the RM3 action. Never actually seen one in the flesh, but pix of the action look quite impressive.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys

This has helped me alot!

I have actualyl tried an MP6 and I really liked it better than anything else. Though, I haven't tried the MP10. Can anyone who has tried the both discuss the differences between the two? I know MP10 has wooden keys, but is the feel THAT much better than the MP6?

Thanks!

P
P
Originally Posted by Destaana
I have seen a couple of topics about it here from a year ago, infact, the first thing I saw when I typed Numa Nero in Google was something like "Warning. Avoid the Nero

I remember also reading this when researching the Nero. I think it was the first thing I read about the instrument and immediately turned me off. It must be a real thorn in the side for Fatar

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
If the chatter in this forum is indicative, basically every action Fatar has made is a thorn in their side and ours.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission