Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1913157 - 06/13/12 10:49 PM TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone
That Guy Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Are there any TuneLab users that have gone from Pocket PC to Android or iPhone? If so, do you think it's better than the Pocket PC version? I'm considering switching to Android from Pocket PC and just wondered if there's any advantage other than a more friendly and up-to-date operating system.
www.thattuningguy.com

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1913448 - 06/14/12 12:37 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
chuck belknap Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Scott: I have had the Android version for about two months now, and for some reason, I feel it is more accurate than the Pocket. There is a small learning curve from the Pocket, but I think it is great. Doesn't seem to command a lot of battery power either

Charles Belknap

#1913450 - 06/14/12 12:40 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto

I switched from the pocket to Android.
If your pocket unit is fine, keep it. Get the
Android when your pocket bites the dust.
I switched as I needed another license.

Steve

http://stevejacksonpianos.com

#1913555 - 06/14/12 05:13 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
That Guy Offline

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else?
www.thattuningguy.com

#1913669 - 06/14/12 08:37 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
pianotune2 Offline

Loc: ks
I love my pocket, never tried the android. Guess that doesnt help much lol.

www.pianotune2.webs.com

#1913772 - 06/15/12 01:07 AM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: pianotune2]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
I'd like to see some more feedback, too!

I run the Tunelab on a pocket PC (IPAC), but am considering a change to an Android to upgrade my 'stuff'.

I just saw an Android version, during a tutoring session, and had a brief chance to place them side-by-side. It seemed to me that the Android was not as 'smooth' and movement of the display was not as easy to use.

Adjusting the pitch, that is offsetting the display to a tuned note's actual pitch, was not the simple tap-tap on the screen, as easily done with the IPAC,...it required a finger and more time to make the adjustment on the Android.

I'm not sure if this was just not being familiar with the differences, or a case of practice makes perfect, or what...so I'd really appreciate some input from those who use the Android platform, and have switched from a pocket-pc version.

Is the 'refresh' rate on the display faster or slower?

Is the use of the screen simply a matter of learning and practice?

Are you as comfortable with the Android as you were with the pocket-pc?

Is there any difference in accuracy?

Is the microphone accurate? Does placement change in use?

A little input, please!

Thank-you!
Sincerely,

#1913821 - 06/15/12 04:13 AM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
pianolive Offline

Loc: Europe

#1913951 - 06/15/12 10:50 AM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: TunerJeff]
chuck belknap Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Jeff:

I still pick up Pocket PC's to hoard, but I also have the android. It is different, but very easy to use. I have only referred to the manual once on steps. The display is smooth and responsive, and since you have accustomed yourself to the procedures of the pocket pc, you already know 99% of the user knowledge necessary.

I think that mine is more accurate than the pocket, but I have a Samsung Galaxy II, and it has a kicking audio and mic system. Placement of the phone seems to make no difference at all in the readings.

One feature I love is that I can set temperament and midrange, even with a abnormal pitch such as 441.35, shut my phone down while I tune unisons, turn it back on and all the settings remain the same. If you remember, on the pocket pc if you set something different than 440, you have to remember and reset it. By turning the program off when tuning unisons and the bass, which I always do aurally, I get a lot better mieage on battery life than with the pocket pc.

I will be in Seattle for convention next month, and would be glad to let you work with it on a piano. Just let me know, and we will arrange the time.

Sincerely,

Charles Belknap

#1914287 - 06/15/12 09:59 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
I upgraded a while back to the iPhone version. I love it! Its so much less to carry around rather than using my old Pocket PC, that I had to plug in because the batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Also, I believe that support for the Pocket PC version won't be supported much longer. A few things are different with the iPhone app, not sure about the android version, but would guess they're pretty similar in design. One difference is the way notes are measured for pitch raises, now you have the option of measuring every note before you begin or a C arpeggio all the way up the keys. I believe the way the inharmonicity is calculated is a little different too. I feel that my tunings are more accurate. I can get about 5 tunings on a single charge of the iPhone 4S. I have not figured how to change the overall offset in the case I need to tune the piano in something other than 440. Anyone else know how to do that? I found where I can enter a value in for each note, but not overall. As stated above, if you get a call or have to close the app to get to something else on your phone, the program will stay right were you were. The other nice thing that I like about the 4S iPhone is that the sides are flat, and I can set the phone on it's side without having to have any type of stand. I have a silicone case that keeps the phone from sliding around. You will have to purchase the program again though. It was $299, but worth every dollar!!!
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

#1914297 - 06/15/12 10:26 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
That Guy Offline

Thanks Ryan, that's really helpful. I've downloaded the Android trial version and have been messing around with it. It's very user friendly.

To offset the pitch just slide your finger across the phase display and then to get back to zero tap on the offset number and a screen pops up.

Five tunings on one charge is awesome!

One thing that has confused me is measuring IH. Someone else told me that with the new apps you can measure as many notes as you want but I can do that with the Pocket PC version also I thought. At least I've measured more notes but maybe they weren't calculated into the curve. Hmmmmmm.
www.thattuningguy.com

#1914544 - 06/16/12 01:34 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: chuck belknap]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Dear Charles,

I'm hoping to collar Robert Scott at convention, and possibly be talked into it there. I haven't yet made the switch to a new phone...but we're wanting to upgrade so I can swipe credit-cards in the customer's home. It just seems reasonable to upgrade to the new program as well; my IPAC is about 6 years old now!

You can find me on the Exam floor this year, so we'll even have a Shigeru Kawai to play with in my room, and maybe we can collar a couple other examiners to play with. I believe Atsundo and Marc Poulin might have an interest in joining in. Playing with new toys is always fun!

Thanks for the input,
Sincerely,

#1914550 - 06/16/12 01:47 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
Robert Scott Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: That Guy
Someone else told me that with the new apps you can measure as many notes as you want but I can do that with the Pocket PC version also I thought. At least I've measured more notes but maybe they weren't calculated into the curve. Hmmmmmm.

Just to clarify this difference, the old IH model also used as many measurements as you made, but it did something different with those measurements. It used all the measurements to arrive at a best-fit four-parameter model. But with only four degrees of freedom there was only so much the old model could do to match the actual measurements. The new IH model takes your measurements three at a time to create a segmented model that does hit every measurement. So the new IH model is better able to take advantage of lots of measurements.

#1914732 - 06/16/12 11:32 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
Scott,

Thanks for the help with overall offset. Most pianos I bring up to 440, however I have a customer with a piano from the 1880's it was 300 cents flat when I first started working on it. Just getting it up to 100 cents flat three strings broke, so I just tune it there. That is the only piano that I service regularly that I don't tune to 440.
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

#1915072 - 06/17/12 10:57 PM Re: TuneLab Pocket PC vs. Android/iPhone [Re: That Guy]
That Guy Offline

You're welcome Ryan!

Thank you Robert for the explanation.
www.thattuningguy.com

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (Akshay, accordeur, antony, Anne'sson, 46 invisible), 1535 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153504 Topics
2249497 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
7 minutes 52 seconds ago
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
Today at 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
Today at 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
Today at 03:42 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission