2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
vegasE #1919312 06/27/12 07:46 AM
I
I
I checked the DEMO ES7.
It seems that the piano sounds Concert Grand, Studio and EP are the same as MP6.
Could you confirm, James?

ES7 is a great digital piano. I'm sure it will be a great success.

I'd be curious to see how the 3 sensors are positioned in RH2.
If there were any of the images (as per Casio)
it would be interesting

vegasE #1919317 06/27/12 07:55 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
IMOL, yes the main MP6 sounds form the basis of the ES7's sounds. However the ES7 uses a new, more powerful DSP, with redeveloped reverb, effects, amp sim, resonances etc. and higher spec DACs, so the overall sound quality should be superior to the MP6.

The RH2 action's triple-sensor switch is located in the same position as for the original RH action.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Kawai James #1919673 06/27/12 06:46 PM
G
G
I sure hope the new action will not be clicky or noisy?

A few people have reported on youtube (sometimes in comments) about clicking sound from a few keys on MP6
Kawai MP6 key click noise
Particularly his F5 key is clicky.

It is even worse on ES6 according to comments in German here
Testbericht Kawai ES6 Digital Piano
But ES6 used the AHA IV-F action that I guess is cheaper than RH II used in the ES7 model.

Most other keybed even the best from other brands seem to be a lot noisier overall (high thump noise when the keys get hit even on Rolands top model PHA III).
You can clearly hear them here
Zelda Link's awakening- Mabe village (sur roland hp 507)
and here
petite compo sur roland hp 507
That is one reason why i am so interested in KAWAI ES7. smile
Another is that I like light relatively firm and pianolike keys.

I am looking for a lightweight portable Midi master keyboard that is piano like so the ES7 is a perfect fit.
The stand look good and i do want pedals.
The ES7 has it as options. smile

Also it is probably not too expensive I hope. smile
Many seem to like the RH I keys in MP6 (predecessor keys to RH II) more than your RM3 Grand (MP10) keys.
Here is just one of these guys
Review: Kawai MP6 Stage Piano
Note that he also says the keys feel better than Yamaha ones he has tried.
I have heard another reviewer that said he really liked the MP6 keys very much.

So as long as the quality is good enough (no issues) I will probably buy the ES7.

vegasE #1919689 06/27/12 07:21 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Looks like the ES7 is going to win many new friends for Kawai. Seems like a very well conceived upgrade to me.

vegasE #1919709 06/27/12 07:48 PM
Online Content
Good Keys, I can appreciate your concerns about clicking keys.

My Nord Electro has a very loud, clicking/creaking keyboard action. This is perhaps to be expected given the board's light weight, however it can be a little off-putting when playing at low volume in my room.

That said, I honestly don't believe the Kawai actions have a problem with clicking keys. Of course, you may read the odd negative report, or stumble upon a YouTube video that highlights an issue, however the same could be said for all manufacturer's instruments. If a key does develop a click over time, it's usually due to a lack of grease, and this is a simple job for a technician to resolve. Generally speaking, however, the Kawai actions are quiet and reliable.

By the way, thanks for posting the MP6 review on YouTube - it's always interesting for me to watch folks reviewing their instruments and explaining the motivation for a purchase. I thought the guy could have perhaps gone into greater detail about the various settings to adjust the sound (Virtual Technician, effects, reverb, amp sim, etc.), but perhaps he hadn't gotten stuck into those features when the video was made?

Oh, I think I almost got a name check too. wink

Anyway, to return to the ES7, I'm very positive about this new model - there's so much to like about it: really great action, excellent sounds, lots of features, etc. And of course, the manual is a work of art. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Kawai James #1919716 06/27/12 07:55 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Kawai James
And of course, the manual is a work of art. wink

Yes. It. Is.

A masterpiece. I'm keeping my copy so my descendants can take it along to a future series of the Antiques Roadshow.

EssBrace #1919721 06/27/12 08:04 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by EssBrace
And of course, the manual is a work of art. wink

Yes. It. Is.

Well, fingers and toes crossed for this year's International Owner's Manual Awards. The ES7 documentation is nominated along with the Panasonic MK-5076 and Zanussi ZWH6160P. Suffice to say it's a tough year.

Kawai James #1919727 06/27/12 08:17 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Well, fingers and toes crossed for this year's International Owner's Manual Awards. The ES7 documentation is nominated along with the Panasonic MK-5076 and Zanussi ZWH6160P. Suffice to say it's a tough year.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Zanussi. Great little manual that. I think the Karcher 110 bar pressure washer was a worthy effort too - the way it talks about those different nozzles is very insightful. But I still think you'll shade them James.

vegasE #1919918 06/28/12 06:41 AM
G
G
Well, I'm considering this piano, but I don't know when it will be available in my country, so if someone has tested the ES7, or will test it in the near future, I would appreciate some feedback about the sound (quality, effects and so on) the feel (touch) and its functions.

vegasE #1920131 06/28/12 01:52 PM
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
It will feature the same action (with an extra sensor for quick repetition) and same basic sounds (with improved processing) as the MP6, which is a much beloved piano. As far as I know no one here has tested one yet, but based on what we know about it, we can be pretty confident that it will be a winner.

Kawai James #1920651 06/29/12 03:15 PM
G
G
Good Keys, I can appreciate your concerns about clicking keys.

My Nord Electro has a very loud, clicking/creaking keyboard action. This is perhaps to be expected given the board's light weight, however it can be a little off-putting when playing at low volume in my room.

That said, I honestly don't believe the Kawai actions have a problem with clicking keys. Of course, you may read the odd negative report, or stumble upon a YouTube video that highlights an issue, however the same could be said for all manufacturer's instruments. If a key does develop a click over time, it's usually due to a lack of grease, and this is a simple job for a technician to resolve. Generally speaking, however, the Kawai actions are quiet and reliable.

By the way, thanks for posting the MP6 review on YouTube - it's always interesting for me to watch folks reviewing their instruments and explaining the motivation for a purchase. I thought the guy could have perhaps gone into greater detail about the various settings to adjust the sound (Virtual Technician, effects, reverb, amp sim, etc.), but perhaps he hadn't gotten stuck into those features when the video was made?

Oh, I think I almost got a name check too. wink

Anyway, to return to the ES7, I'm very positive about this new model - there's so much to like about it: really great action, excellent sounds, lots of features, etc. And of course, the manual is a work of art. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Thank you. Yes I think you are right about the grease.

I have decided I do not want a Fatar keybed (found in Nord, Kurzweil and Numa keyboards i think).

Interesting you have clicking/creaking experiences of your Nord. All keyboards seems to have it to some degree.

Now I almost can't wait for the ES7 to be available here in Sweden. Please ship it to Thomann (reseller) as soon as possible. smile
The ES7 just must be a BIG Success.

And yes the guy making the MP6 review must be talking about you Kawai James although he doesn't really say your "name".

I had to look at you playing on your Nord Electro 3 with your band. Clicked your link "occasional rare groove player".
I must say I am impressed of the whole band. I really like your music. Especially the quality of the sounds from your instruments and how you all perform.

I bet somebody will accuse me of being a Kawai representative now. These things tend to happen to me with all these trolls out there.

vegasE #1920656 06/29/12 03:20 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Good keys sounds like a Kawai shill to me wink

Good Keys #1920687 06/29/12 04:11 PM
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Good Keys
I bet somebody will accuse me of being a Kawai representative now. These things tend to happen to me with all these trolls out there.

Haha, it's like I said to that one knucklehead a few days ago: accusations (and maybe the event of) someone being a shill are very common in the piano forum, not so common here. I guess because retailers are more promiscuous, selling lots of brands of digital products at the same time? Dunno.

vegasE #1920793 06/29/12 06:34 PM
Online Content
Good Keys, thank you for the compliment about the band's playing.

That live gig was pretty good fun, with a great atmosphere...although I made quite a few mistakes throughout!

I'll pass on your comments to the other chaps in the band too - who are all Yamaha employees, by the way. wink

Cheers,
James (in transit in Singapore)
x

Kawai James #1920810 06/29/12 06:49 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Cheers,
James (in transit in Singapore)
x

India awaits. You'll soon be "elbows on knees" for hours on end so take a good book into the toilet James. A certain part of your anatomy might resemble the Japanese flag in a few day's time. I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy, in case you were wondering.

Cheers,

Steve

EssBrace #1923126 07/05/12 06:45 PM
M
M
Now Kawai ES-7 can be bought at Thomann for 1368 €.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_es_7_b.htm

The price is almost identical as for Kawai MP-6 - 1379 €.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_mp6.htm

Kawai James #1923168 07/05/12 08:43 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Wouldn't the graded action be an improvement also. I don't think my ES6s' action is graded. Are the acoustic piano's set of samples different or the same? I have always liked my ES6.

vegasE #1923198 07/05/12 10:26 PM
S
S
I wish they'd put some decent demos of the different piano samples on the website. Are the other voices from different pianos or modifications of the concert grand? I don't love the standard Kawai Grand sound from what I've heard so far, it's what I'd describe as "clinical and clean".

vegasE #1923203 07/05/12 10:36 PM
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I'm sure it's graded in the same way as the RH action in the MP6. The AWA PRO and RM3 actions divide the keyboard into four zones with a weight for each. I suspect RH has the same.

There are only a very few digital pianos with true grading (each of the 88 notes having a different weight).

Kawai James #1923212 07/05/12 11:06 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Tom Love recently wrote an insightful blog post detailing the main improvements to the ES7, here.

Thanks! From the insightful blog post:

Let’s get a little “techie” for a moment, shall we?

Uh oh.

Kawai R&D engineers have been working on this new TG for a while and the ES7 is the first Kawai instrument to utilize it. This new TG has a lot of horsepower. For instance, the older ES6 had 192-note polyphony, achieved by using two TG’s “slaved” together. The new TG offers 256-note polyphony all by itself. Polyphony is a reference to how many notes an instrument can play simultaneously. Thus, the new ES7 is able to handle a lot more notes being played at once, so note dropout in a complex piece of music is much less of an issue.

Is polyphony so important that it needs to be mentioned first? It's not like everyone's complaining about Kawais dropping notes.

Another major improvement comes in a dramatic increase in DSP processing power. Having more processor power allowed Kawai engineers to completely rewrite the algorithms for the various DSP effects, such as chorus, echo and rotary speaker, and reverbs, greatly enhancing and expanding the ES7’s effects and reverbs.

I do like a nice reverb. Though I wish he had mentioned sympathetic resonance here.

Other important technical improvements include improved digital to audio converters (DACs). This enhances the quality of the sound coming from the speakers and headphones, and through the audio outputs.

I'm not sure I'd make a blanket statement like this. The audibility of modern DAC quality differences is debatable. It's not like they're replacing a 12 bitter or something. Hi res DACs are so cheap there's no reason not to throw half-way decent ones in there.

The ES7’s key action now has a 3-sensor system, which gives the TG better key sensing capability and faster note repetition.

This is the real news IMO. Though I'm not sure what took Kawai so long to catch up to Casio.

Okay, enough tech talk.

Huh? What about the elephant in the room (tiny piano sample sets)? *sigh*

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission