2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 260 of 370 1 2 258 259 260 261 262 369 370
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PPP what actually is a peice? lol. ( Thought wayne was back for a moment!)
Griffin, again, you are working much too hard and this must stop, you are not devoting enough time here!

Today, is a boring Sunday here in the UK.

Please dont suggest reading a book, the last time I tried reading a book was james joyces ullyses and it was shite. There was no punctuation in it. Allthough grammer and spelling does not normally put me off, if a book or post makes no sense at all then I lose the will to live quite easily and Joyce absolutely nailed it in that respect.

I am not a good reader, I get much too bored very quickly and would much rather indulge in pleasures of the flesh. Also, I am better at answering questions on pleasures of the flesh than I am at answering questions on books, I have difficulty remembering authors names, whereas I dont struggle so much with words like Mayfair, or Rustler, and there are most pleasent pictures in those publications, there are no pictures in ullyses at all, not even pictures of readers wives, Joyce must have been too poor to afford a camera,probably because he didnt sell too many books because of the lack of punctuation I guess.

Sunday allways reminds me of religeous things like biblical things, and thats why Sunday allways reminds me of "pleasures of the flesh" because thats in the bible.

Unfortunately, it says dont indulge in them, which falls on deaf ears as far as I am concerned.

fortunately, it also says in the Bible in no uncertain terms " go forth and multiply" why means one of two things:

Thing one: "F*** off." this is a highly unlikely interpretation of "go forth and multiply" but is possible if the divine was angry at someone like noah again or job or another dude who didnt do exactly as he was told whilst being tested to the max.

Thing two: ( much more likely) "go and indulge in pleasures of the flesh" highly likely and excellent sunday advice from the good book, also, with no puctuation issues as in Joyce.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Greetings, Sunday music lovers.

Forgive the sentiment but I first fell in love with this tune when I played it on the recorder as a young boy at school from a little book called Time and Tune - a title which recalls the two most important features of music - as part of the BBC's Music for Schools programme in the early sixties. This is a very moving rendition, though not traditional.

Bizet's Entr'acte shares melodic features with The Minstrel Boy and is similarly emotional but these two performances evoke quite different passions.

Richard

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good morning everyone! I've been looking forward to this day. It's the only day I'll probably have time to post this week.

Richard, I enjoyed your second posting. However, I was unable to see your first posting of the Minstrel Boy because my iPad doesn't want me to view it. I'll see it later on my desktop. I just heard a lovely rendition of it performed by John McDermott.

PPP, it's always interesting to see Gould's performances. The Debussy piece reminds me of the ongoing struggle I'm having with bringing Claire de Lune to performance level. I think patience is my greatest challenge with it, however. smile

Rossy, I'd love to spend more time on this thread. however, there is this strong competing interest -- the need to earn a paycheck! laugh Of course that could change if a patron of great wealth would come forward and hand me a check for 1 million dollars! I wont hold my breath for that to happen. LOL

Recaredo, I loved your Dvorak posting. It motivated me to explore some more of his compositions, and I'll be posting one today. Speaking of Sunday postings... I'll be back with my Sunday classical posts!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My first posting for today is the "Concerto No. 3 for Clarinet in D (Allegro)" by Johann Molter. It is performed by Finnish clarinetist, Kari Kriikku.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I don't believe I've ever posted any performances by American soprano, Barbara Hendricks. Here is a wonderful introduction if you are not familiar with this gifted soprano. Here is her performance of Giuseppe Verdi's Falstaff: "Sul fil d'un soffio etesio"

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Recaredo had a strong influence on my next music choice when he encouraged us to explore more of the works of Anton Dvorak. I fell in love with this moving performance of "Slavonic Dance in E Minor, Opus 72, No. 2 and the lively Slavonic Dance in C Major, Opus 72, No 7" by violin virtuoso Itzhak Perlman and master cellist Yo Yo Ma.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I've long been intrigued by the third movement of Tchaikovsky's "Piano Concerto No.1 In B Flat Minor, Op.23," and here it is!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My final post for today is an African American spiritual performed by Barbara Hendricks, "Hold On".

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Fantastic Sunday posts, Griffin. I’ve found two marvellous discoveries in them: the composer Johann Molter and the soprano Barbara Hendricks. I hope you can post more about this singer, I loved her voice so much like Leontyne Price’s. And good Dvorak’s selection wink

I agree with you Recaredo - many thanks Griffin for being so busy showing us new music. I'd never heard of Molter before and found the extract v uplifting. The Dvorak was also wonderfully expressive, without being syrupy.

Richard - I liked the Bizet - very smooth and recognised the similarity with the Minstrel Boy (a song my ex husband was attached to as part of his scottish heritage).

Griffin - are you familiar with the spirituals in Tippett's 'A child of our time'? - Deep river, go down moses, etc. I've tried to find a decent clip on youtube to show you, but am still looking. You may like it.
Helen

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Greetings everyone! I am glad you enjoyed the Sunday postings Helen and Recaerdo. Helen, I'm not familiar with Tippet. However, I'd definitely be interested in learning more if you are able to post something. I won't have time to do postings this week. However, I do have one posting for today that Recaredo might particularly enjoy. I will present more information about Barbara Hendricks in the future.

I had an over abundance of Barbara Hendricks performances yesterday, and didn't present them all. However, I have time today for this one posting in which she sings "Der Wegweiser, Winterreise, D. 911" by Franz Schubert.

Enjoy the rest of your day! While it's unlikely I'll have time to post music during the week, I will be checking in throughout the week. Off I go!

Last edited by griffin2417; 06/19/12 07:31 AM.

Carl

R
R
Finally...my exam's been finished yesterday (Sunday). It was really a busy week for me. And, consequently, I'm in the middle of a sea of musics here smile I'm trying to catch up slowly. Firstly, I must convey my sincere thanks to Dipsy and, of course Rossy, for sharing some marvelous and rare moments of father-daughter duet piano performance! Your dad is really amazing, Dipsy. I just can't believe how he can maintain such tremendous flexibility at the age of 88!!! And, surely you gave a brilliant and perfect accompany to him, Dipsy. Indeed, it was a humble experience for me to watch your video. I'll be looking forward to more such videos with both of you together, and I pray to God for Beric's long life.

As usual, Griffin deserves a huge lot of thanks for his gorgeous Sunday classical selections. I could only finish Johann Molter and Barbara Hendrick today. Needless to say, they are just awesome. Barbara Hendrick has an incredible voice, I'll look forward to your notes on her.

Originally Posted by Griffin
Rupak, I know you've been busy too. I do hope you will be able to post some more ICM, even if you may not be able to today.

I was really wondering about our mental connection smile I thought quite early that I might have to post ICM on Monday or Tuesday this week, as I really didn't get time to post on Saturday! Anyway, I've some time today to post some ICM. I've selected another instrument used these days in ICM. Surprisingly, it's one of the most popular instruments all over the world - the acoustic Guitar. Of course, there are several modifications in the guitar used in ICM. The modifications were done by maestro Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt who first introduced the use of acoustic guitar in ICM. This modified guitar is known as Mohan Veena (this name is derived from his name). Here is a great compilation of his performances of various ragas. There are two complete performances on ragas Desh and Megh Malhar and some short compositions.

[video:youtube]3xHlClZA0CM[/video]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, that voice singing the Winterreise, it’s truly touching. Thanks for this gift, Griffin.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rupak, I’m really enjoying these ragas. It’s impressive to listen to this huge amount of musical variations.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
This thread just goes from strength to strength thanks Rupak, recaredo, Griffin, PPP, becca B, AimeeO,vegas, etc.. excellent. Not much time today, but great work dudes and dudettes.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After reading that Jimmy Page thread on the Pianist Corner I couldn't resist posting some Jimmy Page. FYI: this video gets pretty damn strange at certain points.

I'm glad you liked the duet Rupak - and so is dad (Beric). He is now interested to read people's comments for himself on pianoworld, which will be a new experience for him.

The ragastransported me to another place - thanks for sharing that.

Griffin - I hope to be able to post Tippett's music soon (with Rossy's help)

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Excellent Page/Coverdale post, PPP. Love that guitar - why did they never catch on?

Originally Posted by Dipsy
The ragas transported me to another place - thanks for sharing that.

I could have walked there and back before I realised how long it was going on! Thanks, Rupak.

Here's a wonderful little snippet from the Les Paul Tribute performance.

Richard
hi folks,
Here as promised (thanks to Rossy) is the first of the spirituals extracted from Tippett's 'A child of our time'. This one is called 'Nobody Knows (the trouble I see....)..'

the oratorio is based on the true story of a young man who 'snapped' and tried to kill a nazi official during WW2. Enjoy. More later.

Hi again! This second extract represents the resentment of the persecuted Jews in WW2. More later.

Page 260 of 370 1 2 258 259 260 261 262 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission