Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1844346 - 02/14/12 08:46 AM Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music?
Pianolism Offline

Hi all. Anyone has a tablet pc recommendation for sheet music based on:
1) Viewing angle
2) The least laggy when viewing with pdf viewer.
3) Screen size
4) Reasonable budget
5) Lightness/Slimness
6) Misc.

Edited by Pianolism (02/14/12 08:48 AM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1845033 - 02/15/12 05:18 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
NikkiPiano Offline

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
Originally Posted By: Pianolism
Hi all. Anyone has a tablet pc recommendation for sheet music based on:
1) Viewing angle
2) The least laggy when viewing with pdf viewer.
3) Screen size
4) Reasonable budget
5) Lightness/Slimness
6) Misc.

I got the Asus Ep121 after much research. At the moment, you're not going to get any better than this in terms of screen size and viewing angle. The screen diagonal is 12.1". The screen aspect ratio is 16:10, making it less narrow and fitting sheet music better. No problems with screen lag as the processor is very fast. I got mine for £1000. Not a very budget tablet, but that wasn't the priority. I've got the AirTurn hooked up to it via its built-in bluetooth. It's a great tablet for doing other PC stuff too.

#1845222 - 02/15/12 11:36 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: NikkiPiano]
Pianolism Offline

Thanks for the recommendation NikkiPiano. Yes you're right. Except for the budget, it's a really cool tablet. Awwww I want an ep121.

#1845228 - 02/15/12 11:42 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
My girlfriend just got a Kindle, and if it was bigger it would be so perfect for sheet music. The E-ink display is awesome, for it looks like actual paper, not a lit up LCD screen.

#1847127 - 02/18/12 02:33 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: didyougethathing]
Pianolism Offline

didyougetthatthing,are you referring to the kindle fire? Thanks.

#1847149 - 02/18/12 04:58 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
NikkiPiano Offline

The Kindle Fire uses an LCD screen and doesn't use E-ink. E-ink makes the display look like printed paper, which is preferable.

#1847187 - 02/18/12 09:24 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: NikkiPiano]
Pianolism Offline

Just had a look at the eink tablets. Most of them have quite a small screen size. What is the biggest screen eink tablets available now? The largest one I can find currently is the Kindle Dx. The rest are pretty small to be viewed. Yes I think the eink ones are friendlier to the eyes. If only we have nice eink ones with a big A4 sized screen.

#1847231 - 02/18/12 11:15 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Just FYI, eInk isn't usually recommended for sheet music because it's quite a bit slower than a standard display. A page turn on a standard Kindle can take a second (which doesn't sound like a long time, but in performance, it becomes an issue.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1847755 - 02/19/12 10:32 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
Coolkid70 Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
I've had reasonable success with the Asus Transformer and Adobe Reader (for Android). It's a little tricky, because you have to swipe your finger across the screen to turn the page (instead of maybe just tapping it), but it still may be easier than fumbling with a real page.

Good luck!

#1848024 - 02/19/12 07:04 PM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

So when is someone going to come up with the tablet that "listens" to you play, and automatically turns the page (with the option that you can predetermine that point)?

#1848268 - 02/20/12 02:25 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
MarkH Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=12887

Software that listens to you playing is under development, but piano is the hardest instrument to "listen" to because of the many voices at once. It has worked for a couple years on single note instruments, and it's coming along on bowed string instruments.

I'm glad this topic came up. By some time in March I need to buy a tablet for an upcoming performance, and the Asus EP121 looks perfect. Thanks Nikki!

#1915769 - 06/19/12 01:41 PM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
Pianolism Offline

Just found out that Toshiba has launched a 13 inch tablet which seems a great size for sheet music reading. There are many musicians around the world, I just wonder why there is currently no company venturing to make a tablet specially for musicians with a A4-sized tablet dimension. Maybe I'm no aware of one. Yes, not all musicians would be a tablet-convert given that many still prefer the feel of paper but personally I feel that paperless and sheet music reading from a screen is the way to go in the near future. Or maybe an e-ink style tablet... Ummm.... Anyone has connections to the tablet manufacturers? Probably bring this idea up to them.

Edited by Pianolism (06/19/12 01:44 PM)

#1916103 - 06/20/12 07:40 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
yhc Offline

Loc: NYC, NY
Asus just displayed a Transformer AIO PC in the June Exhibition in Taiwan, with a detachable 18.4" lcd. When detached, it becomes the biggest tablet I've known. Just don't know when it will be released.

#1916175 - 06/20/12 10:43 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: Pianolism]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Can you purchase individual urtext scores online for your PC, Mac, iPad, Kindle, etc?

#1916181 - 06/20/12 10:50 AM Re: Current Tablet pc recommendations for sheet music? [Re: JoelW]
NikkiPiano Offline

Originally Posted By: scherzojoe
Can you purchase individual urtext scores online for your PC, Mac, iPad, Kindle, etc?

I've made lots of electronic sheet music purchases and have never seen this format available. I bought a book scanner for the purpose of converting hard to soft copy.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P155 synth/midi question
by sdrep
10/31/14 07:36 PM
Pianist, Dutch magazine - nr 2 release 31 oct
by Johan B
10/31/14 06:30 PM
Dutch magazine: Pianist - second magazine appeared 31 oct.
by Johan B
10/31/14 06:25 PM
Piano Courses
by blugee
10/31/14 06:15 PM
Fundamentals of Music
by leel
10/31/14 06:02 PM
Who's Online
148 registered (0987654321, 36251, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1700 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76721 Members
42 Forums
158653 Topics
2329961 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission