2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, 9 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 261 of 370 1 2 259 260 261 262 263 369 370
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a powerful and emotive music, Helen! Thanks for your explanations about this oratorio. I’m looking forward to listening to more extracts.

V
V
Lots to listen to above - even *gasp* the lady that calls herself Gaga (I may have more to say about her later).

However, we just passed (as of a few minutes ago) the winter solstice over here. This weekend we are off to the mountains for the annual Winter Magic Festival. Temperatures are predicted to reach the freezing depths of 10deg (cel) and maybe even 8deg. I know...cold hey wink. A festival full of pagans and hippies that will probably end in a Christian sacrifice (most likely a Catholic, so i will be keeping a low profile cool ). If I'm not back next week, you will know why.

Dressing up is the order of the day, and i wasn't sure if it was inappropriate to wear my Papal Costume that i keep in the bottom of my wardrobe.

Anyway, enjoy The Tea Party (the Canadian band).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Enjoying all the wonderful posts here. smile

Well, it's summer here now, supposed to be close to 100 in NY tomorrow/today.

Summer in the City

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LOL.

V
V
LOL indeed, PPP.

"this is rock and roll"

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
It may be rock n roll, but not as we know it! ( or want it, should I say) can you imagine if there was no such thing as drum kits or drummers and the only thing was this keyboard? The stuff of nightmares indeed.

The dude was genuinly enjoying himself though.. however misguided he may be..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
K
K
Originally Posted by Rostosky
can you imagine if there was no such thing as drum kits or drummers ...?

Yes, I can imagine that, and what a wonderful world that would be! Of course, it's too late now, because the awful racket they make is on a million recordings and (worse) samples. But what if they had never been ? Just think - you'd be able live life without being assaulted by the continual ambient thud..thud..thud.., the moronic 4/4 boom..chick..boom..chick.., or worst of all, the tsk..tsk..tsk.. of hi-hats leaking out of those awful white earbuds. Ah, bliss !

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KeemaNan

Yes, I can imagine that, and what a wonderful world that would be! Of course, it's too late now, because the awful racket they make is on a million recordings and (worse) samples. But what if they had never been ? Just think - you'd be able live life without being assaulted by the continual ambient thud..thud..thud.., the moronic 4/4 boom..chick..boom..chick.., or worst of all, the tsk..tsk..tsk.. of hi-hats leaking out of those awful white earbuds. Ah, bliss !

Obviously you too have no legs to dance with, my condolences on your loss. Do you get over 40k per annum benefits, someone did but they got ousted off this thread a while back for being annoying.

I still am not sure if they had legs or not, but if they didnt they probably had a good case for not liking dance music/beats.

one could say in hindsight; "no more waltzing matilda for them" (pogues version, where to dance with matilda or any other girl, being a nono-ped is undesirable.)

anyways, some steve moore drumming to amuse and entertain you...

Last edited by Rostosky; 06/21/12 05:15 PM. Reason: FORGOT TO MENTION THAT DRUMMING HAS BEEN WITH MAN SINCE THE DAWN OFF TIME AND PROBABLY THE OLDEST FORM OF MUSIC MAKING!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Thus, your argument is proved to be logically invalid.

K
K
It was a rhetorical question that didn't need answering, and I thought I would play Devil's Advocate, but maybe I overstated my case a little for effect.

It's interesting that you mention dance music Rostosky, because I think that dance music can live quite happily without percussion, especially the western pop/rock bloke-at-the-back-hammering-out-the-rhythm style of percussion. A good example would be tango - the traditional tango band does not have a drummer, and manages to play compelling dance music of great sophistication in which the rhythm is brought out by accents and articulation on the bandoneon in particular. Baroque dance suites are another example.

It's purely a matter of taste, but I find myself increasingly drawn to music where the rhythmic component is brought out of the music, rather than hammered out by a drummer. Often the rhythmic component is so strong that a drum track is an annoyance - it's 'stating the obvious'. A good example is boogie-woogie piano, in its purest form a tour-de-force of joyous driving rhythmic music; when a drummer lamely boom-chicks along it totally ruins the effect for me. I think I've been sent along this route by the total ubiquity of musical noise pollution in the urban envrionment; the thing that intrudes on ones consciousness the most is always the drum track. Maybe if I lived in the countryside things would be different, but at the end of a long day in the urban jungle with its incessant 4/4 beat, it's the last thing I want to hear when I have a choice in the matter.

As I say, it's all a matter of taste. I am certainly not attempting to troll, like the 40k p.a. benefits chap.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
No worries, I was teasing about the lack of legs thing!! just the thought that anyone who couldnt dance hated drummers and all! No disrespect intended.

I do actually agree with you in that not all music needs or should have an incessent one two three four hammered out in a synthetic and repetative way, indeed a lot of otherwise good music is spoiled in my opinion by the addition of the above.

Off hand, right now I cant bring to mind... oooh yes I can.. I can bring to mind an absolutely horrible use of four four drumming in a horrible boring repetative way....

Here is an example of this type of drumming that I hate

K
K
Yes, "Money for Nothing" is an excellent example of an obtrusive and unneccessarily lame drum track !

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ah friends again!! I must be carefull about teasing folk in future!!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As you know Liszt composed the Hungarian rhapsodies for piano originally, but the composer also orchestrated these works. I have been lucky, and I’ve found my favourite rhapsody (No 2) conducted by Karajan on Youtube.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
... the total ubiquity of musical noise pollution in the urban envrionment; the thing that intrudes on ones consciousness the most is always the drum track. ... incessant 4/4 beat, it's the last thing I want to hear when I have a choice in the matter...

I'm increasingly feeling the same.

I have two neighbours who play this stuff all the time. All I can hear is thud, thud, thud, thud. It's so distracting.

BTW Who was responsible/the originating producer who brought the bass drum and snare so up in the mix in the first place?

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Imelda May - Have seen her a few times on Jools Holland's show. The other clip led me on to this one. One of my favourite guitar players (I still listen to Truth all the time) and Imelda - who I always enjoy.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Summer in the city - a great song and an influential one. You hear echoes of it in many other songs.

There's something about the way John Sebastian constructs melody (ie. he knows how to write a catchy tune). He does it again with this one (nb 22-30 secs).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

The moral of the story: Duck's are cheeky little [censored].

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Here's one from a former teen idol--one of the rare ones with enough talent and musical integrity to survive the pretty boy image (despite the personal costs also apparent in this video).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just finished watching the whole second season of "Todd and the Book of Pure Evil" and I just had to post this, it is simply priceless.

I'd like to provide you guys with a larger context, but I simply wouldn't know where to begin. All you need to know is that this guy is a high school guidance counselor who has, in addition to developing Freudian-esk daddy issues, inherited the title of Supreme Leader to a cult of elderly and mutinous Satan worshippers by the murder of their former leader, who was his father and is now the decomposing disembodied head that you see resting on the top of the piano. A head which, due to this character's neurosis, is schizophrenically imbued with the voice of his late father.

This song is a tear jerker so I hope you have a tissue ready.

Page 261 of 370 1 2 259 260 261 262 263 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission