2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
What's your routine?

Mine is to get an extremely bad nights sleep and wake up with a headache and the occasional blocked left ear. frown

A
A
My teacher advise me to stop practicing for half a day prior to the performance just so it will be "fresh" during the performance but knowing me I do the opposite and run through the repertoire 10 times whilst panicking, and not getting any sleep. I am usually delirious after the performance before collapsing in bed, waking up 24 hours later and repeating the pattern.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Day before I keep the same practice schedule and do a full performance run. I include any talking I might do to introduce pieces. I try not to make changes or corrections, because late changes tend to cause confusion and errors.

Physical and mental rest, diet, exercise are all parts of the puzzle. I like to eat light the day of and get enough exercise the day before so I am tired and sleep well.

Mental rehearsal away from the instrument tends to be more valuable to me as performance day nears (vs. more practice time). Obviously, this means I have practiced enough in the weeks before. Something worth mentioning is that pro accompanists playing popular songs, sometimes only rehearse once or twice, right before going on, only getting the sheet music with an hour to prepare. This tends to be a very different routine from folks playing classical.

I also like to have some written notes, even if I plan to play from memory. A set list with the first few bars of each piece is useful reassurance. If I get nervous enough, I forget what pieces I am going to perform. When the mind feels completely blank, there is a sense of rising panic and a quick glance at the lead sheet stabilizes me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't have much experience with this on the piano, but when I have a big cello performance, by the night before I have tried to settle myself mentally. In my most recent occasion, I was almost in a panic about it but sat myself down and told myself these things:

-I know can play this piece.
-If i keep worrying about it, this will not help me play it better, so I am going to be happy about what I can do well and let the rest go.
-I will not get upset if anything (musical or extraneous) goes wrong before or during the performance.

It really helped! I do keep practicing but not overdoing it -- a couple of hours the day before, maybe an hour the morning of. Mostly slow and relaxed practice. And of course, eat properly and get a good night's sleep. Don't drink too much coffee but have some if you're used to it so you don't get a headache.

Be realistic and don't expect magic -- you need to be prepared, but if you are and you're just having attacks of nerves, I do think this approach is good.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Usually a BAD night's sleep (going over things in my head, getting up and turning on light to check score where I can't remember, several times). Wonder why I am putting myself through this! TRYING to think positive.

Musica 71
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I play through the rough spots very slowly once and forget about it until showtime.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
no alcohol, early pillow-hitting, early rising, good breakfast, slow play-through, thinking of the day after, then: face the enemy.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
no alcohol, early pillow-hitting, early rising, good breakfast, slow play-through, thinking of the day after, then: face the enemy.

LOL, and the day of the performance, a lot of tinkling prior.

Jason
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato

Pretty much this.

(in principle)

J
J
Relax, live life normally. Since I've become more comfortable performing, I don't really worry much until a few hours before, and even that goes away. But I'd say the more you try to perfect your habits the night before, the more you are going to worry about messing those up, and in turn, your performance. Just spend it comfortably as you would most evenings (hopefully). That way, it's just another evening, and you aren't telling yourself, 'this evening is different, I should worry about an impending danger.'
Just don't practice as much. Warming up is all you should need.

Chopin, Brahms, Schubert, Rachmaninov
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
the night before? I look over this list smile

Originally Posted by David Leisner (Neil Stannard's blog)

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission