2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I don't believe the sample memory size has been specified.

The NU1 is the latest addition to the 'AvantGrand' range of hybrid pianos. This model uses an upright piano action.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
K
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I don't believe the sample memory size has been specified.

The NU1 is the latest addition to the 'AvantGrand' range of hybrid pianos. This model uses an upright piano action.

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks for the quick reply. Even though I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, I have been waiting to hear the CFX samples and compare them with the old CFIIIs ones we have all gotten used to as the Yamaha sound. Is the older sound included as one of the voices? I'm hoping dewster can get someone to send him a recording of the sound so we can get a better idea of the differences, if any, in the decay and looping effect the previous N3 has.

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 06/03/12 03:43 AM.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
Online Content
I believe the AvantGrand N1/N2/N3 models used a different set of CFXIII samples to the Clavinovas, as they playback different samples for each speaker.

Cheers,
James
x

K
K
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I believe the AvantGrand N1/N2/N3 models used a different set of CFXIII samples to the Clavinovas, as they playback different samples for each speaker.

Cheers,
James
x

James, although the goal at the time for AWM was to create an excellent stereo sound for their Clavinova line, they used multiple mics during their recording session. To get the sound just right, it had to go through a lot of processing and mixing of the captured sounds from the multiple mics placed during the recording session.

The Yamaha flagship CFIIIS was newly recorded specifically for the CLP990 since at that time was a major breakthrough in computer technology and Yamaha saw an opportunity to sell lots of Clavinova's to schools and piano players. Marketing at that time specified sampling size and all sorts of specs that trumped their nearest competitors. If you read a brochure of the CLP990 at that time, it sounded even more impressive than the latest Yamaha NU1's online description. Why you ask? because at that time, an 80 plus MB sound sample, 5 layers, spruce keys with hammers, and all 88 key sampling to boot would be like coming out with a specs that would read something like this...The NU1 has a huge 1TB sample set for the Grand Piano alone, 1024 polyphony so never to run out of notes, twenty-five velocity layers for seamless sound..yada yada yada.. If they had specs even half as good. I would hope Yamaha would mention it sometime in the future. Now the N1,N2 and N3 have a sample size larger than 500MB as far as I have heard, however that simply means it is a higher quality version of the same old samples recorded from the multiple mics 12 years ago, nothing more. Probably at a higher bitrate and longer decay time compared to the very short decay time before looping that the CLP990 and most CLP series have.

Below is taken from the CLP990 manual. When Yamaha says totally new samples recorded as they say below, they really meant it at the time. However Yamaha no longer uses that type of detail when speaking about samples.

The Yamaha Clavinova CLP-990 digital piano offers unmatched sonic realism and natural grand-piano type playability as well as Yamaha’s original “AWM Dynamic Stereo Sampling” tone generation technology for rich, musical voices, and a special “NL Keyboard (Natural Keyboard” that uses wooden keys with a new action mechanism for improved continuous key response. The CLP-990 GrandPiano1 voice features totally new samples painstakingly recorded from each key of a full concert grand piano. The CLP-990 GrandPiano1 voice features five velocity-switched samples (Dynamic Sampling), a “Soundboard Reverb” effect that accurately simulates the resonance of a piano soundboard, “String Resonance” that recreates resonance of piano strings, special “Sustain Sampling” that samples the unique resonance of an acoustic grand piano’s soundboard and strings when the damper pedal is pressed, and “Key-off Samples” that add the subtle sound produced when the keys are released. The CLP-990 comes much closer to the sound of a true acoustic piano.

So back to my original point, Yamaha used multiple mics for all the different areas of the grand piano and so far they have been more than enough for their N1,N2,N3 AvantGrand line released a couple years ago. Sometime within the last two years they must have recorded the CFX samples which is the logical next step now that it is their flagship model. The NU1 is a smart choice for releasing their new sound as it tries to get all those on the fence about buying the N1 to consider since they can now save $3,000 and get the new CFX piano sound as well. A very tempting prospect for those who felt the price was to high to justify the cost. Roland has a hard time competing with so many options and choices that Yamaha offers. What Yamaha needs to release next is a stage piano featuring the CFX. After that an S90CFX and MotifCFX. And then a MotifCFX rack module. (actually rack modules are mostly dead so I doubt that)

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 06/03/12 05:28 AM.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
There is a huge difference between the inexpensive digital pianos and the very high end $5,000 plus instruments discussed so far in this thread.

For a college dorm, the high end instrument is probably too fancy (and expensive, considering the conditions - spilled drinks etc.).

For a budding piano performance major, the first tier instruments probably won't provide a sufficiently realistic sound or feel to provide a helpful practice piano. If a piano doesn't provide a rewarding experience, it won't get used, and it's a wasted effort.

My suggestion is a Roland FP-7F for its excellent keyboard action, its extremely realistic piano sound, and its versatility with rhythmic accompaniment. After a thorough investigation including playing many digital pianos, and careful reading of posts on this forum, I decided on this Roland model for my grandchildren (and their parents) as an investment in their musical education. I've purchase three of them so far (and may get a fourth that would replace an older Alesis digital piano).

Get the "slab" version, and a solid folding stand. The speakers are good - not great - but with good quality headphones your daughter will love the sound, and her roommates won't be disturbed. It's a "medium weight" instrument, which should be OK since it will probably stay in the dorm room (as opposed to needing to be lugged to gigs).

Good luck,

HenryTD

As my emotions flow through my fingers, the piano responds and lifts my spirit when nothing else can.
Online Content
Indeed, the FP-7F is one of the best portable digital pianos available.

Now that is has been released, I would also recommend the Kawai ES7, which is a strong competitor with the Roland.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission