Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
117 registered (A Guy, angga888, Anne H, ABC Vermonter, AndyP, 27 invisible), 1396 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1918064 - 06/24/12 12:23 PM Another intriguing use for old grands
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I came across this photo on the "classical music humor" facebook page and thought it was rather neat. My apologies if it has been posted here already:

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1918065 - 06/24/12 12:26 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I love it, although I would be worried about hanging that much weight on a wall. It looks like the person has some heavy duty brackets on the wall and probably has them screwed into studs. Peoples creativity never ceases to amaze me.

#1918088 - 06/24/12 01:30 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
It looks like the cast iron frame has been removed.
Richfield Springs, New York

#1918092 - 06/24/12 01:45 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
saerra Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Ooooh... I want one!!! Very cool!

#1918107 - 06/24/12 02:31 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
Melissa MM Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
How completely beautiful! Thanks for posting it.

#1918173 - 06/24/12 05:43 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Very cool picture. If someone inherited a grand that was too far gone to rebuild but couldn't part with it, that would be a great way to keep it in the family.

Thanks for posting.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1918192 - 06/24/12 06:36 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
What kind of piano would be that straight on the right hand side? That's a very sharp corner on the right.

#1918194 - 06/24/12 06:44 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
I have a 5'8" Gerhard Heintzman in walnut that I started making into a shelf a year ago.
I am doing this for our showroom. I never thought of leaving the keys in it. Now I think I will.
I currently have a 8 foot Broadwood that is used as a shelf in my shop but is a bit tall for my 7'11" showroom.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1918260 - 06/24/12 09:42 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Pianolance]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Pianolance
What kind of piano would be that straight on the right hand side? That's a very sharp corner on the right.

That DOES look weird... I wonder if it's made out of a real piano after all, or just made to LOOK like a piano...

#1918266 - 06/24/12 09:48 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
It has a pinblock so it's probably real. Bosies have that sharp corner...

#1918350 - 06/25/12 02:30 AM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
It's an 85 note instrument and an open face pin block. Looks like it had a third transition bridge. Probably a pre 1890's European make. Although it could be American.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1918605 - 06/25/12 06:07 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Pianolance]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany

It is an old type of grand piano whose outer rim was built by single parts. A "non contiguous" rim.

That was the older method of rim building used before Theodore Steinway 1878 invented the contiguous rim, built of laminated maple veneer strips. A method which now is used by the most piano manufacturers in the world.

Bösendorfer still builds some grands by the "old school" manner, with sharp transitions in the outer rim where the single wooden parts meet.

The most interesting question in former days was "how many curves do we allow..in one single piece of wood.." because this question was directly related to the percentage share of waste that a rim builder produced - and so related to piano manufacturing costs..

Bösendorfer makes one curve per piece only. The "Old Steinway school" was to have an S curve, two curves right-left in one bent wooden part which meets it's counterparts at the long bass end of a straight wooden part and at the short treble end. So old Steinway grands have two "corners"; Bösendorfer grands w. "consructed case" have three "corners" in the rim contour.

(..if my description might lack a clear understanding I first would point to my signature, second I'd like to offer a sketch on demand..) :shy: blush

D 1877 satin black plain

#1918606 - 06/25/12 06:13 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
BTW Offered at Steinway dealers you may find bookcases in the form of a
grand shape.

It is an original Steinway rim, of course a contiguous version (..as the "constructed" rim versions ended in 1886..)

D 1877 satin black plain

#1918611 - 06/25/12 06:39 PM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Pianolance]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California

Bösendorfer still does it in all but their shortest grand because they still make their rims from solid wood bent via a technique called kerfing, which involves cutting tiny slits vertically in it.

On this photo of a 225 on its side you can see three corners, one on the bass side and two on the treble

But Steinway and all others have gone to the lower cost, rapid way of making rims from bent plywood, and we no longer see corners.

Edited by Thrill Science (06/25/12 06:39 PM)

#1918721 - 06/26/12 12:54 AM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
They are philosophically different in design. The kerf cut is used on the outer rim of the Bosendorfer, a non-structural element. It is quite thin, gives it elegant lines and a more delicate appearance.

However, the extremely thick inner rim of Bosendorfer pianos (almost double that of other makes with laminated rims like Steinway) is solid wood cut to shape. It is neither bent or kerf cut. They could cut it to other shapes, but in the case of Bosendorfer, form still follows function based upon their, now unique and quite expensive, approach to the resonating body.

My understanding tells me that it is easier to make a successful design using a bent, laminated rim using a variety of lower cost materials and approaches (Steinway has a lot of successful imitators, i.e. Yamaha CFIII), but a lower-cost or corner-cutting approach to Bosendorfer's design seems destined to fail. It's just too hard and expensive to copy.

As it relates to the piano in the photo, the shape does make it easier to make the shelves. smile
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1918751 - 06/26/12 03:43 AM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: PianoWorksATL]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL

My understanding tells me that it is easier to make a successful design using a bent, laminated rim using a variety of lower cost materials and approaches (Steinway has a lot of successful imitators, i.e. Yamaha CFIII), but a lower-cost or corner-cutting approach to Bosendorfer's design seems destined to fail. It's just too hard and expensive to copy.

Laminated wood is more stable than solid wood. When using solid wood, higher quality material must be used, and it needs to be dried to exacting standards. Of course, this why laminated soundboards were attractive to builders of economy grade pianos. I've seen Boesendorfers under construction at the factory, and the rim making process does not look like it would lend itself well to mass production/cost cutting at all.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1918752 - 06/26/12 03:57 AM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Thrill Science]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Thrill Science

Bösendorfer still does it in all but their shortest grand because they still make their rims from solid wood bent via a technique called kerfing, which involves cutting tiny slits vertically in it.

From what I remember from the factory, there are lots of these slits, which are then shimmed with wood. Definitely not very efficient. The inner rim is made of blocks of solid wood, cut by a CNC machine.

Originally Posted By: Thrill Science
But Steinway and all others have gone to the lower cost, rapid way of making rims from bent plywood, and we no longer see corners.

This is not to say, however, that corners and laminated rims need be mutually exclusive. Case-in-point are the pianos made by David Rubenstein. His rims are made from three sections of laminated wood.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1918793 - 06/26/12 07:16 AM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: Monica K.]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
omgosh.. that is the best. i so want one.

thank you Monica

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1918819 - 06/26/12 09:13 AM Re: Another intriguing use for old grands [Re: apple*]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I love the pic and the discussion!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160047 Topics
2350317 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission