Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1918586 - 06/25/12 05:16 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: suniil]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I find most of the criticisms of Lisitsa's posted thus far to be both too subjective and too unspecific to be very convincing. I did not think all of the selections were played at a very high level although I thought some were very well played, but I also think comments like those below would not be made by a teacher at, for example, a master class because they are so nebulous.

"But beginning with Mozart Fantasie, I felt that she was very tense, not to make a single mistake, and this continued with the Beethoven too. I can speculate that she was advised to play more freely and not care too much during the intermission. Which IMO, showed some evidence in the Rachmaninoff."(Seems like pure speculation to me about her nervousness, reasons for her nervousness, and what she was told during intermisssion. I don't think a huge percentage of her fans expect her to play flawlessly and are attracted merely by her technique. There are plenty of other pianists with big technique.)

"if she doesn't feel the music" (IMO there are very few pianists who have devoted tens of thousands of hours to practice who don't feel the music.)

"she played two heartless back to back Rach preludes."

"i'm sure they touch you more than Lisitsa's playing"

"nevertheless I do feel touched by her personality, she feels the music and thus she moves me."(talking about a different pianist)

"I can forgive mistakes but the clunkiness (sorry , but that is the best description I can come up with) of her interpretation was a real problem."

"Her playing/technique also lacks a certain level of finesse and refinement that can be found in that of extremely high level pianists. She pushes her technique too far outside of her physical limitations and that makes her sound amateurish to be honest. For comparison:" (The poster then compares her playing to Perahia, who is one of the greatest pianists in the world.)

"IMO, she is not a true pianist/musician. She really can't listen to what she is playing."(What's a "true pianist"? How can one possibly know what another pianist is hearing?)

Edited by pianoloverus (06/26/12 07:37 AM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1918587 - 06/25/12 05:19 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: pianoloverus]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I find most of the criticisms of Lisitsa's posted thus far to be both too subjective and too unspecific to be very unconvincing. I did not think all of the selections were played at a very high level although I thought some were very well played, but I also think comments like those below would not be made by a teacher at a master class because of their nature as explained in the previous sentence.

"But beginning with Mozart Fantasie, I felt that she was very tense, not to make a single mistake, and this continued with the Beethoven too. I can speculate that she was advised to play more freely and not care too much during the intermission. Which IMO, showed some evidence in the Rachmaninoff."(Seems like pure speculation to me.)

"if she doesn't feel the music"

"nevertheless I do feel touched by her personality, she feels the music and thus she moves me."

"I can forgive mistakes but the clunkiness (sorry , but that is the best description I can come up with) of her interpretation was a real problem."

"Her playing/technique also lacks a certain level of finesse and refinement that can be found in that of extremely high level pianists. She pushes her technique too far outside of her physical limitations and that makes her sound amateurish to be honest. For comparison:" The poster then compares her playing to Perahia, who is one of the greatest pianists in the world.

"IMO, she is not a true pianist/musician. She really can't listen to what she is playing." What's a "true pianist? How can one possibly know what another pianist is hearing?

I don't feel like ruining this thread with it again, but I've previously listed (relatively objective IMO), examples of her playing which I didn't like, and for some reason, nobody ever replied to them.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1918596 - 06/25/12 05:46 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: pianoloverus]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I find most of the criticisms of Lisitsa's posted thus far to be both too subjective and too unspecific to be very unconvincing. I did not think all of the selections were played at a very high level although I thought some were very well played, but I also think comments like those below would not be made by a teacher at, for example, a master class because they are so nebulous.

How would you explain, in more specific detail, the reason(s) why you thought that some selections were not "played at a very high level". What is the very high level standard you are referring to? extraordinary pianist such as Peraiah, Argerich, Richter etc? or concert level pianist but not necessarily a super star? What makes soemone 's playing "very high level"?

#1918599 - 06/25/12 05:50 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: suniil]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Tough crowd.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1918600 - 06/25/12 05:54 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: suniil]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
What's to get? She found a bug in a dressing room, and decided to interview it on camera 4tehlulz. Hilary Hahn did a similar video with a goldfish I seem to remember.

#1918601 - 06/25/12 05:54 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: suniil]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xZl1_NXKls

A betta sorry not a goldfish.

#1918602 - 06/25/12 06:00 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: pianoloverus]
Quaver Pyjama Offline

I find most of the criticisms of Lisitsa's posted thus far to be both too subjective and too unspecific to be very unconvincing. I did not think all of the selections were played at a very high level although I thought some were very well played, but I also think comments like those below would not be made by a teacher at, for example, a master class because they are so nebulous.

"But beginning with Mozart Fantasie, I felt that she was very tense, not to make a single mistake, and this continued with the Beethoven too. I can speculate that she was advised to play more freely and not care too much during the intermission. Which IMO, showed some evidence in the Rachmaninoff."(Seems like pure speculation to me about her nervousness, reasons for her nervousness, and what she was told during intermisssion. I don't think a huge percentage of her fans expect her to play flawlessly and are attracted merely by her technique. There are plenty of other pianists with big technique.)

"if she doesn't feel the music" (IMO there are very few pianists who have devoted tens of thousands of hours to practice who don't feel the music.)

"nevertheless I do feel touched by her personality, she feels the music and thus she moves me."(talking about a different pianist)

"Her playing/technique also lacks a certain level of finesse and refinement that can be found in that of extremely high level pianists. She pushes her technique too far outside of her physical limitations and that makes her sound amateurish to be honest. For comparison:" (The poster then compares her playing to Perahia, who is one of the greatest pianists in the world.)

"IMO, she is not a true pianist/musician. She really can't listen to what she is playing."(What's a "true pianist"? How can one possibly know what another pianist is hearing?)

A true musician brings tears to my face, they communicate the most intense and sublime emotions of a certain piece. I feel a greater connection to the humankind after listening to an artist performing. And that simply doesn't happen when I listen to Lisitsa - I don't say she is devoid of all emotions but when I close my eyes, I feel very little. I can't provide objective information, but my personal opinion is that she is extremelly inferior, emotionally speaking, to most artists out there, she fails to comunicate to my heart.
This may sound like stupid sissy talk but it's the only way I can discuss this subject wink

#1918620 - 06/25/12 07:03 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: suniil]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Never mind all the people at her recital whose hearts were touched. An artist must communicate specifically to Quaver Pyjama's heart to be a true artist.

#1918635 - 06/25/12 07:59 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: debrucey]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: debrucey
What's to get? She found a bug in a dressing room, and decided to interview it on camera 4tehlulz. Hilary Hahn did a similar video with a goldfish I seem to remember.

I see. So it is not only silly, it is also not so 'creative' but rather "influenced". smile

#1918637 - 06/25/12 08:07 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: suniil]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

All creation is influenced, and you say silly like it's a bad thing.
I have no idea whether Lisitsa has seen the aforementioned video Hahn posted (which I'm sure wasn't the first example of this joke).

#1918643 - 06/25/12 08:45 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: debrucey]
Quaver Pyjama Offline

Never mind all the people at her recital whose hearts were touched. An artist must communicate specifically to Quaver Pyjama's heart to be a true artist.

Lol, I laughed at this one grin
I know I'm annoying when I post annonymously on the internet, but in real life i'm a nicer person - I don't nag people with my artistic purism.
(well, sometimes I nag my colleagues but it's rare! grin)

#1918763 - 06/26/12 04:47 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: debrucey]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
All creation is influenced...

Wrong.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1918778 - 06/26/12 05:41 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: suniil]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Example?

#1918779 - 06/26/12 05:42 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: Quaver Pyjama]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Quaver Pyjama

Lol, I laughed at this one grin
I know I'm annoying when I post annonymously on the internet, but in real life i'm a nicer person - I don't nag people with my artistic purism.
(well, sometimes I nag my colleagues but it's rare! grin)

I believe you smile

#1928138 - 07/17/12 03:11 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: suniil]
Works1 Offline

Her performance of Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria was magnificant IMO.

Edited by Works1 (07/17/12 03:12 PM)

#2030898 - 02/11/13 01:52 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: Works1]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Works1
Her performance of Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria was magnificent IMO.

This was obviously top-notch playing technically, although I believe she also gets right to the heart of the matter as for projecting the emotions.

As for all who have been critical of Lisitsa's playing I challenge you to make a better recording!

So, are there any takers?*

*Extra note:

I am excluding myself, as it is currently not something I wish to struggle with since I am contending with other back tension issues while at the piano/computer and some additional hand/wrist strain at this time.

Also, I have to commend any pianist (professional, or, otherwise) that can continue to play pieces at a very high level of difficulty without injury to themselves, as Valentina Lisitsa has demonstrated this can be done.

#2031016 - 02/11/13 09:27 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: pianoloverus]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past

Edited by Pogorelich. (02/11/13 09:38 AM)
Edit Reason: I shouldn't bother

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2031040 - 02/11/13 10:04 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall [Re: Pogorelich.]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.

Kind of how I feel

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (BB Player, Ben_NZ, AliAlkhiro, 21 invisible), 1202 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76053 Members
42 Forums
157257 Topics
2309777 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
romantic era fugues
by Lingyis
09/03/14 03:58 AM
European Piano Party 2015 in Switzerland!
by SwissMS
09/03/14 03:40 AM
Should I pursue piano?
by arpan70
09/03/14 01:05 AM
An edifying challenge
by BDB
09/02/14 11:44 PM
Steinway or Porsche?
by Jennymomofboys
09/02/14 10:16 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission