Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1918466 - 06/25/12 10:19 AM Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage
motifmm6 Offline

I own and play the yamaha CP300. Flagship model, GH keys, well respected DP. However, the some of the keys are starting to click, esp for the lower registers. This means that when the volumm is turned off, you hear a "click" sound when the key is depressed.

From my experience, I know most DPs have this problem of clicking keys, once they are played on alot repeatedly, or due to excessive pressure applied to the keys.

It isn't a big issue, coz when the volumn is turned up, you can hardly hear the click sound and the action feels almost the same, with or without the click.

Does your DP have clicking keys? Do you get them replaced? Is the replacement cost high?

I am thinking of switching back to an acoustic.....maybe with silent feature... but it'll cost alot more.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1918474 - 06/25/12 10:38 AM Re: Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage [Re: motifmm6]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I got my DP, a Celviano 620, for about 800.00 off because one of the key cover slider pins was bent a little, which, until I fixed it, had caused the cover to catch on the keys when you opened it. It seems that the catching may have knocked some of the keys out of whack because about 10 or 12 of them clicked against each other. I solved that by getting a piece of white, adhesive backed felt and putting a small strip of it (about 1cm. by 2 cm.) between the offending keys. That was all it took. If the clicking on yours is because the edges of the keys are touching, maybe the same fix would work for you.

#1918477 - 06/25/12 10:47 AM Re: Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage [Re: motifmm6]
gvfarns Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm not sure there's a single unique cause of clicking keys. It does seem to be a relatively common problem, if there is such a thing with digital pianos. I have seen clicks fixed by as little as adding some of the white grease they use on internal stuff. Others indicate some plastic mechanism has broken.

Pretty sure Kawai's AWA PRO and RM3 actions never develop a click. having seen the insides, I'm not sure what could happen that would cause that. So in answer to the title of the thread, no I don't think clicking happens to all dp's.

If your piano is not under warranty, try opening it up and isolating where the clicking is coming from. It might be an easy DIY fix.

#1918556 - 06/25/12 03:19 PM Re: Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage [Re: motifmm6]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Don't all mechanical movements suffer from wear and play? This will manifest itself in different ways. Going back to an acoustic isn't an answer for this since you have to get the action regulated to keep it sweet.

#1918724 - 06/26/12 01:04 AM Re: Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage [Re: motifmm6]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
There's most likely a reason you are hearing clicking from the key.Something may be broken or misaligned. You would need to take it apart to investigate.

#1918725 - 06/26/12 01:06 AM Re: Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage [Re: leemax]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

leemax,
You should register your Casio on their website and then see if they will fix it under warranty. The problem you have is a defect that Casio will fix probably by replacing the keybed.

#1918823 - 06/26/12 09:29 AM Re: Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage [Re: galaxy4t]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
leemax,
You should register your Casio on their website and then see if they will fix it under warranty. The problem you have is a defect that Casio will fix probably by replacing the keybed.

Good suggestion, but I got it "as-is" from musicians friend, so no warranty is available. I understood from the outset that it might have some issues, but for $500.00 I was willing to take the chance. Straightening the bent cover pin and shimming a few of the keys was definitely worth the savings, and now the piano looks and plays like new. I think musicians friend may have changed their "as-is" pricing, because recently I saw some 620s for $700.00 where, for instance, all of the bass keys didn't play! I was very fortunate.

#1919183 - 06/26/12 11:20 PM Re: Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage [Re: motifmm6]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would still register the piano and then see if Casio will fix it. Musician's friend has nothing to do with Casio's warranty. It is up to Casio and if you are within the warranty period the problem you have is a defect that they should fix.

#1919356 - 06/27/12 09:28 AM Re: Do all DPs keys start to click after repeated usage [Re: spanishbuddha]
Upright Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
Don't all mechanical movements suffer from wear and play? This will manifest itself in different ways. Going back to an acoustic isn't an answer for this since you have to get the action regulated to keep it sweet.

In my opinion all plastic keyboard actions are prone to key noise, clicking and alike. The keys of an AWA Pro, RM3 and those of an acoustic can be regulated, and repaired. Plastic key can only be lubricated or replaced.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (angga888, accordeur, Almaviva, Alux, 45 invisible), 1488 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251480 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission