Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
106 registered (angga888, Anita Potter, ando, Adypiano, 36251, 31 invisible), 1287 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 25 of 25 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25
Topic Options
#1935815 - 08/01/12 12:36 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
They can all be teaching moments...

Well, there are actually many ways to "place those stones" to make sure that the octaves (play that C-C octave) come out right. Like a stream with a really deep spot, you might need to jump a little farther in the middle to get across. It's our job to find out how each piano and owner like to get those stones set to help them enjoy playing the piano. Do you play? When I'm done, if you'd like, I'd be happy to listen to you play a short piece. I better get back to work now, you can watch if you stay very quiet!

Ron Koval

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#1935837 - 08/01/12 01:21 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: RonTuner]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Originally Posted By: RonTuner

Well, there are actually many ways to "place those stones" to make sure that the octaves (play that C-C octave) come out right. Like a stream with a really deep spot, you might need to jump a little farther in the middle to get across. It's our job to find out how each piano and owner like to get those stones set to help them enjoy playing the piano. Do you play? When I'm done, if you'd like, I'd be happy to listen to you play a short piece. I better get back to work now, you can watch if you stay very quiet!

Ron Koval

And then the fifth grader replies:

"Great! Thanks mister! Wait 'till I tell my band teacher that I'm not out-of-tune, I just place my notes where I like 'em. Our piano tuner calls it tamperin'. Don't bother me none if the guy next to me does the same."

#1935844 - 08/01/12 01:34 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: UnrightTooner

Ron Koval

And then the fifth grader replies:

"Great! Thanks mister! Wait 'till I tell my band teacher that I'm not out-of-tune, I just place my notes where I like 'em. Our piano tuner calls it tamperin'. Don't bother me none if the guy next to me does the same."

"Well you know that a piano is a little different than your band instrument, you've got to use your lips and listen to everyone else to adjust your pitch with every note, the piano can't adjust while you play. Can you think of any other instruments that are like that? Marimba? Organ? Good! Now unless you want to pay me to teach you, I've really got to get this piano done!"

Ron Koval

my piano videos:

#1935851 - 08/01/12 01:49 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
The piano CAN adjust while you play...

#1935856 - 08/01/12 01:59 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: RonTuner]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"Well you know that a piano is a little different than your band instrument, you've got to use your lips and listen to everyone else to adjust your pitch with every note, the piano can't adjust while you play. Can you think of any other instruments that are like that? Marimba? Organ? Good! Now unless you want to pay me to teach you, I've really got to get this piano done!"

Ron Koval

"Mister, I may only be a fifth grader, but I know when someone is trying to blow me off. My best buddy Lumpy plays the marimba in the band, and it can't be tuned! Are you trying to tell me YOU can tune a piano differently than the marimba and call it in-tune, but I CAN'T play my trumpet different than the marimba and call it in-tune? Heck, maybe you're just tuning our piano the quickest way you can and just pretending it is in-tune. Hey, Mom this guy is trying to cheat us..."

#1935888 - 08/01/12 03:13 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lumpy plays marimba? Have him show you the bottom of the bars sometime to see where the marimba tuner had to carve out the wood. That's why he is supposed to use special mallets for the marimba instead of drumsticks, because he could change the tuning and the band director would have send it out to get tuned again! I bet Lumpy would get in a lot of trouble for that!... probably like you if you dropped your trumpet and the valves wouldn't work anymore. Are you careful to pay attention when you put your trumpet away and clean it out like your teacher told you? I bet I would get in trouble if I wasn't paying attention to my work and messed up something in your mom's piano!

Ron Koval

my piano videos:

#1935957 - 08/01/12 05:44 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
The questions of the fifth grader must have been tempered by his buck teeth. But it all changes if it is a little girl? New parameters added. Still cyclical. Daddy, why is the sky blue?

There are so many reasons as to why it appears as blue. It is blue because he was taught that what he was seeing is called blue.

For us who grew up as musicians, something is in tune because we have been taught that what we are hearing is called in tune.

For tuners, it seems to me, you delve into the whys and wherefores and that is certainly appropriate and expected in your profession. These discussions, even though they can get raw, keep you skilled in your trade. Most musicians simply accept "in tune" as based on their first answer to the first naive question.

Why is the sky blue? Because it is. Why is the piano in tune? Because it is. The understanding of what leads to "is" is lifelong study in any profession, even playing piano.

Daddy, why is that Debussy pretty. Because it is.

When the hand of God touches the mind of a Brahms, or of a Mahler, we will never be able to answer why the music is beautiful. Sometimes because it is, is enough.

The sky is in tune. The piano is blue.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1935962 - 08/01/12 05:49 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
I keep tellin' you guys, "in-tune" is whatever *I* sing, and whenever *I* sing it...

#1936003 - 08/01/12 07:12 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Ahhh, subjectivity, what a wonderful word. As Dictionary.com says..."internal reality".

#1936241 - 08/02/12 08:35 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: RonTuner]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Lumpy plays marimba? Have him show you the bottom of the bars sometime to see where the marimba tuner had to carve out the wood. That's why he is supposed to use special mallets for the marimba instead of drumsticks, because he could change the tuning and the band director would have send it out to get tuned again! I bet Lumpy would get in a lot of trouble for that!... probably like you if you dropped your trumpet and the valves wouldn't work anymore. Are you careful to pay attention when you put your trumpet away and clean it out like your teacher told you? I bet I would get in trouble if I wasn't paying attention to my work and messed up something in your mom's piano!

Ron Koval

"You don't think every fifth grader knows that they get blamed whenever you grown-ups mess up? Like at Sunday dinner, Grampy lets one fly and I get blamed! No, if you mess up the tamperin' its because you didn't know what you were doin'. I ain't got nuthin' to do with it!"

#1936261 - 08/02/12 09:32 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I won't blame you if I have to toot!

(laughing, turning back to tuning)

Ron Koval

my piano videos:

#1936631 - 08/02/12 10:39 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: RonTuner]
chuck belknap Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
just make sure the beat rates progress evenly

#1938073 - 08/06/12 09:32 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: Bill Bremmer RPT]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Bill Bremmer RPT
[quote=BDB]
Here is the way I tune a six string guitar for anyone who would have me do it. Nearly any time I have posted it, I have had people say various things much like they do about he way I tune the piano. But I never have had a person for whom I did this do anything but get wide eyed, jaw drop and say, "Wow, does that ever sound good!"

E2: -2.0
A2: 0.0
D3: +1.0
G3: +2.0
B3: -1.0
E4: 0.0

I have seen a few professional guitarists do essentially the same thing by ear as they tweak the strings from the 0.0 value for each that would be taken from a common guitar tuning ETD.

That's very interesting Bill.
I'm going to try that with my guitars.
Since I bought my grand I've hardly even touched my 12 string and six string acoustic guitars but I'm going to try that slight adjustment with their tuning to see how it sits.
Since with my last piano tuning I've switched to EBVT3 I'm more open to experiment with tuning changes that I've never even considered before just for interests sake so I might as well apply this to my guitars, especially since I don't have to pay a tuner to do it for me.
Thanks Bill.

#1938107 - 08/06/12 10:38 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Rob, to get a reading of the fundamental on an ETD, the number designation for the octaves should be one higher than shown in that offset chart. The lowest E string should be E3...not E2, ect...

#1938144 - 08/06/12 12:04 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Sparky,

You may or may not be able to replicate this with a common guitar tuner. Most of those have a mark for every 5 cents. I use an ETD that is programmable to within 0.1 cents. Furthermore, I read the pitches all on octave 4, so that means that E2 and A2 are read on the 4th partial, D3, G3 and B3 are read on the 2nd partial and E4 is read on the fundamental (1st partial). All of that would be pretty much hit or miss with a common guitar tuner.

#1938190 - 08/06/12 01:50 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Or to tune aurally, you can get similar results by tuning E/E a hair wide and each 4th at about 1 bps wide. The resulting G-B M3 should beat a little slower than the theoretical 8bps, more like 6-7bps. Most guitar players keep away from the remote keys.

#1940358 - 08/10/12 02:20 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
SirHuddlestonFudd Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA
If you prefer anything other than ET, you prefer a piano that sounds out-of-tune.

Your sig block suggests that you are not a very clear thinker. So I'm discounting your wrongheaded ideas about ET. Thanks for playing, though.

#1940632 - 08/10/12 11:47 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: SirHuddlestonFudd
If you prefer anything other than ET, you prefer a piano that sounds out-of-tune.

Your sig block suggests that you are not a very clear thinker. So I'm discounting your wrongheaded ideas about ET. Thanks for playing, though.

I guess that means that your sig block suggests you don't think at all. wink

Sorry, couldn't resist. With a name like SirHuddlestonFud, I'm sure you do.

#1941170 - 08/12/12 01:41 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
Gadzar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mexico City
And what do you say when (not if) the fifth grader says:

"Oh, now I get it! It is like stepping stones. When the stones are equally spaced, things look right. And when the notes are equally spaced the piano is in-tune."

I don't know what Ron would say but my answer could very well be:

When the stones are equally spaced, things look right uniform. And when the notes are equally spaced the piano is in-tune uniformly tempered (out of tune).

The existence of the comma makes impossible for a piano to be in-tune, not to speak about iH which makes impossible to have an "in-tune" octave in a piano.

If we take into account these two facts, comma and iH, then there are no more equally spaced notes through the piano's scale. And that is not an issue at all, what is relevant is the music we can make with the piano.

In that sense, if the piano sounds like the musician expects it to sound then we can say the piano is in-tune, regardless of the distribution of the comma and the way iH is treated in that piano.

For a greek musician, 4000 years ago, ET would sound out of tune as much as for a modern composer a pithagorean tuning would sound out of tune and would be unusable.

It is really a shame that a professional piano tuner can think like this.

This same piano tuner once said in this very forum that he doesn´t like to tune pianos, I wonder why he clings to tune pianos.

Man has made music from the very dawning of our species, thousands of years, and he has used and uses today thousands of tuning systems.

Nowadays there is Occidental, Chinesse, Indian, Arabic music, etc., that uses hundreds of tuning systems other than ET.

And here we have this deaf-minded, self proclaimed piano tuner, saying that if it is not in ET then it is out of tune!

This is really unacceptable in a specialized piano-tech's Forum like this one!

Edited by Gadzar (08/12/12 03:23 AM)

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx

#1941821 - 08/13/12 07:58 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: Gadzar]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gadzar

This same piano tuner once said in this very forum that he doesn´t like to tune pianos, I wonder why he clings to tune pianos.

I tune pianos because my customers want their pianos to sound in-tune. ET accomplishes it.

#1941892 - 08/13/12 11:21 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
Gadzar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mexico City
Of course pianists want their pianos to be tuned, but that is not a reason for you to tune them, especially if you don't like to tune them! You can leave this "anoying" work to folks like me, who love to tune and love pianos and love music!

ET accomplishes their need of tuning, that's right. But ET is not the only and unique temperament which accomplishes that. ET is only one among hundreds of other ways to correctly tune pianos.

Edited by Gadzar (08/13/12 11:27 AM)

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx

#1941899 - 08/13/12 11:32 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: Gadzar]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gadzar
Of course pianists want their pianos to be tuned, but that is not a reason for you to tune them, especially if you don't like to tune them!

ET accomplishes their need of tuning, that's right. But ET is not the only and unique temperament which accomplishes that. ET is only one among hundreds of other ways to correctly tune pianos.

Rafael:

If you give it a moment of thought, I am sure that you will be able to think of many things that you do not like to do, but do anyway. That is something we have in common.

Something that we do not have in common is believing a piano can be in-tune. It seems bizarre to me to declare that a piano cannot be in-tune, and then to go tune it! Well, maybe not bizarre if you also believe that a piano can be tuned any-which-way...

#1941912 - 08/13/12 11:57 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
Well,
25 pages of debate….A subjective phrase such as “in-tune” which can mean something different to almost every person, and that is the simple reality.

The phrase “in-tune” will mean a different mathematical sequence for a chamber music player than it would for a rock guitarist and so on…..
Really when referring to “in-tune” for most it is a reference to the music....is the instrument in-tune with what is being played?
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1941919 - 08/13/12 12:03 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Dan:

It is clear from the OP and later posts that we are talking about pianos being in-tune. I do not think in-tune is a subjective when it comes to pianos. It all has to do with a piano being in-tune with itself. I do not see how deliberately varying the width of intervals can result in a piano being in-tune with itself.

#1941933 - 08/13/12 12:41 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
pyropaul Online   content

Loc: Montreal
Dan:

I do not see how deliberately varying the width of intervals can result in a piano being in-tune with itself.

Does this mean that you don't apply any stretch whilst tuning? This is the only way that all intervals could have the same width, surely?

#1941934 - 08/13/12 12:41 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
4000 Post Club Member

I do not see how deliberately varying the width of intervals can result in a piano being in-tune with itself.

Is this not what we obtain when tuning with different temperament sequences? I believe your focus is too narrow to ET in the belief that those particular intervals are considered “in-tune”.

It is just that someone else may not have the opinion that those particular intervals as being “in-tune” for them.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1941956 - 08/13/12 01:21 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: pyropaul]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pyropaul
Dan:

Does this mean that you don't apply any stretch whilst tuning? This is the only way that all intervals could have the same width, surely?

I tune with pure 12ths and any change in the other intervals is not deliberate, it is natural. But what I do isn't important. What those that deliberately tune various width intervals, in order to obtain a UT, is a different thing altogether.

#1941959 - 08/13/12 01:29 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos

Is this not what we obtain when tuning with different temperament sequences? I believe your focus is too narrow to ET in the belief that those particular intervals are considered “in-tune”.

It is just that someone else may not have the opinion that those particular intervals as being “in-tune” for them.

I agree that different ET sequences can result in slightly different tunings, especially when made near or across a break. But the difference is not deliberate. It is an artifact.

But you mention "particular intervals." If these "particular intervals" are deliberately tuned to different widths in order to produce a UT, then how could the piano to be in-tune with itself?

#1942014 - 08/13/12 02:54 PM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: UnrightTooner]
4000 Post Club Member

Well Jeff,

In theory no piano is in tune with itself. They are in tune with the application to be used on that piano. If the application requires a Victorian or some other type of early music temperament then that would be considered in-tune with itself.

As technicians we know that a piano is deliberately tuned out of tune, out of pure so to speak...so all the keys sound good.

Expand this a little; what was considered in-tune 200 years ago. It certainly wasn’t ET. But the pianos of the day were considered “in-tune”

They were considered in-tune for the application applied.

Times change. So does the knowledge of certain things as we evolve...

#1942413 - 08/14/12 07:32 AM Re: ET - Ok, I'll come right out and say it [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos
Well Jeff,

In theory no piano is in tune with itself. They are in tune with the application to be used on that piano. If the application requires a Victorian or some other type of early music temperament then that would be considered in-tune with itself.

As technicians we know that a piano is deliberately tuned out of tune, out of pure so to speak...so all the keys sound good.

Expand this a little; what was considered in-tune 200 years ago. It certainly wasn’t ET. But the pianos of the day were considered “in-tune”

They were considered in-tune for the application applied.

Times change. So does the knowledge of certain things as we evolve...

"Times change. So does the knowledge of certain things as we evolve..."

Yes! And isn't that waht happened with the evolution of temperments? What was in-tune then is not what is in-tune today. And for good reason, too!

Page 25 of 25 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
12/21/14 09:29 AM
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160033 Topics
2350118 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission