2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 37 38
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beethoven986
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Originally Posted by Tribbs
Ed:

I quite agree that those that prefer UTs, prefer pianos that sound like they are tuned differently in different keys. In other words: out-of-tune.

You keep repeating the mantra that implies only ET is "in- tune". In other words total non-sense.

Are you saying that both ET and UTs can be in-tune?

Neither can be "in-tune" if your standard is just intonation (just ask any string player).

Then neither an augmented chord nor a diminished seventh can be in-tune. I have always wondered what they do, or think they do. And then there is the problem of playing bitonal pieces in just temperment.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Ed:

I quite agree that those that prefer UTs, prefer pianos that sound like they are tuned differently in different keys. In other words: out-of-tune.

You keep repeating the mantra that implies only ET is "in- tune". In other words total non-sense.

Neither can be "in-tune" if your standard is just intonation (just ask any string player).

Then neither an augmented chord nor a diminished seventh can be in-tune. I have always wondered what they do, or think they do. And then there is the problem of playing bitonal pieces in just temperment.

I'd tell you, but I slept through all my theory classes. Oops. Lol.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Ed:

I'd tell you, but I slept through all my theory classes. Oops. Lol.

But wait a second... If the string players strive for just intonation (like us brass players do...) then the great masterpieces that were supposedly written for certain keys, because of WT, are not being played in the intonation that they were mean to be? Or is it that this whole WT thing is a will-o-the-wisp?

But really I am trying to point out what UT trully means on a piano.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In ET all intervals are equally out of tune. In WT some intervals are less out of tune and some are more out of tune.
Pick what you think sounds best.

Kees

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would liken the difference between ET and the EBVT to bread. Yes, I can go to the store and buy a loaf of bread made in a factory somewhere, perfectly sliced and neatly packaged. Every slice looking just like the last one and be perfectly happy with it. On the other hand I can bake a loaf at home. It's going to taste different, the slices my not be as equal, but to me, homemade bread usually tastes better than store bought. I like things that have a hand-crafted organic feel to them. That is what I hear in the EBVT. ET is fine, but to my ears, it's just a little too sterile and bland...a little too equal, if you will. I don't hear any difference between keys. If you have not read the book "How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony (and Why You Should Care)" you really need to. It is by Ross W. Duffin. I think I bought my copy on Amazon. Bill may disagree with this, but in my reading, as I understand it, the EVBT is similar to Bach's Well Tempered Clavier tunings. All keys playable, but each slightly shaded to give the keys distinct characteristics.

Last edited by Ryan Hassell; 06/28/12 03:34 PM.

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Emmery
Loren, the nice thing about ET is that we dont need to use the criteria "..so for that interval...". I prefer a visual anology to the ET vs UT arguement. Dissonance is like garbage strewn on a huge otherwise pristine beach. ET has a same amount of garbage as UT, but spread out over the whole beach equally spaced far enough apart that you only see a small fragment from any one spot you stand. UT has the same amount of garbage but clumped in less piles, that are larger and more visable from anywhgere you stand.

The following photo shows a beach that has small piles of garbage all over it. Because of the perspective, the majority of it is unoticed except for the peice in the foreground. UT that has an appropriate piece of music selected for it that favours the better intervals is like this picture with the upper portion cropped out for viewing. An UT that has music played in a less favourable key will require the viewer to look at the cropped out lower portion of the photo. Except for the sand, the rest of the beach is lost in the garbage.

ET would be the equivalant of photographing this beach from a position where no highly visable garbage is close enough or large enough to be really noticed. UT followers will always have to either crop the photo (select music in appropriate keys) or find some mystical way to remove the lower portion from their sight.
[Linked Image]

Thank you! ET is "spreading the garbage around" so none of it is concentrated in one spot. This spreads the smell around so that no one key smells worse than the other.

You actually helped me out here, Emmery. Thanks!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you prefer anything other than ET, you prefer a piano that sounds out-of-tune.

I disagree.

In the proper context, historic tuning makes such an important difference.

I recommend getting to a Fredrick Piano Collection performance.

Just my opinion.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
To presume that all music prior to the XXth century was played out of tune is the epitome of arrogance. And silliness!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Loren D
To presume that all music prior to the XXth century was played out of tune is the epitome of arrogance. And silliness!

It depends on your standards. By some standards, all music played in the XXth century and beyond is played out of tune, too. Even Harry Partch's.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees
In ET all intervals are equally out of tune. In WT some intervals are less out of tune and some are more out of tune.

Kees

This STUPID thread should have been over right after this post because Kees just nails it. thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Does anyone still recall the first time you tuned without realizing the ceiling fan was on? There was an unsettling beating going on, that turning the pins didn't quite change, always the same...

That's what an ET tuned piano does for me - I feel it more from the bench than from the seats; it seems easier to focus on the music rather than the tuning from the audience.

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
[quote=Ed Foote] [...] I find the protestations against anything other than ET to be the behaviour akin to enraged followers of a strange religious sect.

i really liked your expression

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff

Kees

This STUPID thread should have been over right after this post because Kees just nails it. thumb

I would have to agree with Mr Kees quote although its general and doesn't address the severity of that out of tuneness.
Perhaps every tuner should really be called "sort of piano tuner".

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I have been really busy lately and just returned from the final rehearsal for a concert that will be held Sunday night that features, in part, Baroque period instruments and Baroque music. Thankfully, there will be no modern piano in the entire concert because the Model D Steinway that the music director of that church insists upon having tuned by his favorite tuner is tuned in none other than Reverse Well! The piano was only used to provide starting pitches for rehearsal.

The pipe organ that will actually be used is at another pitch and another temperament but I could not tell exactly what temperament it was just by listening. All I know is that it is a Well Temperament. At one point in the rehearsal, when trying to refine certain elements, the music director made the statement, "What is coming from the piano and the organ are not quite the same".

What a delusional existence it would have to be to believe that ET always was, is now and forever shall be the foundation of all music! I, for one do not believe that ET ever played a part in any music of the past. I hear pitch correction technology being used in pop song recordings of today to make better what vocalists could not achieve on their own, yes. I hear electronic keyboards tuned in theoretical ET substituting for real pianos in many instances.

I also know of frozen, pre-packaged, processed "foods" being purchased by people using food stamps issued by the government. Poor people in this country are obese because of it. Much of pop music is also "obese" with pre-packaged, electronically enhanced remedies aided by the delusion of ET as a model for what is correct.

I could say a lot about what I think the history of ET actually is but I don't want to inflame things any more about that than I already have. Suffice it to say that I don't believe it was ever really practiced on a large scale until about 1990 when many technicians had become used to using ETD's to help them actually tune it. There are still many aural tuners out there in whom many people have a lot of confidence and who still tune in Reverse Well and firmly believe it to be ET and so do the people who hire them.

The author of this thread recently proclaimed that he sings in ET. That is absurd and preposterous! Nobody now or ever has sung in ET and nobody who plays any stringed or wind instrument either modern or antique ever did either.

If there ever could be any music that at all times had nothing but truly "in tune" intervals, it would surely be boring and lifeless. The temperament of a piano, whether a truly and properly executed ET or not is what provides the resonance that a piano has.

The oscillation in pitch that strings, winds and voices naturally produce when practicing good musicianship and intonation is what contributes beauty to music. I am no Baroque music expert or enthusiast, to be sure but I can tell that often, what is desired is not ET at all but Just Intonation. The desire for that purity of sound only occurs fleetingly. Nevertheless, that occasional pure sound is what contributes to musical beauty as does all of the rest of the impurity.

The resonance of a piano tuned in ET was what the late Virgil Smith taught in piano tuning for decades. He surely did believe in ET and tuned entirely by ear but he was often disappointed at the results of other aural tuners and particularly the results of ETD tunings. Nobody seemed to put the right amount of stretch in the octaves that would produce the kind of resonance that he did as his usual practice.

When I try to describe what to do to get that same kind of stretch, I get vitriolic condemnations of it and endless rantings of how it would not work, could not work and should not be tried. If I add to it that a carefully constructed Well Temperament could enhance that resonance even further, I get complete condemnation and remarks about how all the real technicians that used to participate on here have left in disgust by it.

Frankly, I don't care who comes and goes and never have either on here or any other forum. I prefer to talk about what has worked for me and the success I have made of it. Maybe I have polarized thought about temperament just as the Governor of the state of Wisconsin has done about certain political issues.

That seems to be a tradition here. It is either one way or the other. You either believe in what you are doing and stick with it, practice it, continue to serve it up or you do the best you can with whatever you may know. What I know is that ET, as a model and a goal is not worthy of pursuit. The more it is perfected, the less interesting a piano becomes.

I only need to go back to a match up between Virgil Smith and me in 1998 when, in an audience of exclusively piano technicians, the original EBVT prevailed over Virgil's best effort at ET, 4:1. In a re-match the next year in Chicago, there were virtually the same results with Virgil conceding, "I like that temperament."

It does not matter to me how many people liked what I did at either of those demonstrations, whether they understood it or not, whether any of them took it up or not. It also does not matter to me any of the negative comments on here may be. None of them have ever changed what I do nor will they ever. I'll just keep on doing what I do regardless. I will also keep noting virtually on a daily basis that what has been claimed to be ET, believed to be ET, ranted and raved about to be the only way to tune a piano, is actually a backwards version of what I do.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff

Kees

I would have to agree with Mr Kees quote although its general and doesn't address the severity of that out of tuneness.
Perhaps every tuner should really be called "sort of piano tuner".

The severity depends on the kind of UT. I liked your garbage analogy. Or UT tuning is like raking leaves into heaps and ET tuning is like spreading manure evenly.

Kees

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kees

Let the customer is not disappointed in your choice of this when he (she) will be playing music. The most expensive thing on Earth is the wrong choice. Because we should to pay very expensive for it

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
I have been really busy lately and just returned from the final rehearsal for a concert that will be held Sunday night that features, in part, Baroque period instruments and Baroque music. Thankfully, there will be no modern piano in the entire concert because the Model D Steinway that the music director of that church insists upon having tuned by his favorite tuner is tuned in none other than Reverse Well! The piano was only used to provide starting pitches for rehearsal.

The pipe organ that will actually be used is at another pitch and another temperament but I could not tell exactly what temperament it was just by listening. All I know is that it is a Well Temperament. At one point in the rehearsal, when trying to refine certain elements, the music director made the statement, "What is coming from the piano and the organ are not quite the same".

What a delusional existence it would have to be to believe that ET always was, is now and forever shall be the foundation of all music! I, for one do not believe that ET ever played a part in any music of the past. I hear pitch correction technology being used in pop song recordings of today to make better what vocalists could not achieve on their own, yes. I hear electronic keyboards tuned in theoretical ET substituting for real pianos in many instances.

I also know of frozen, pre-packaged, processed "foods" being purchased by people using food stamps issued by the government. Poor people in this country are obese because of it. Much of pop music is also "obese" with pre-packaged, electronically enhanced remedies aided by the delusion of ET as a model for what is correct.

I could say a lot about what I think the history of ET actually is but I don't want to inflame things any more about that than I already have. Suffice it to say that I don't believe it was ever really practiced on a large scale until about 1990 when many technicians had become used to using ETD's to help them actually tune it. There are still many aural tuners out there in whom many people have a lot of confidence and who still tune in Reverse Well and firmly believe it to be ET and so do the people who hire them.

The author of this thread recently proclaimed that he sings in ET. That is absurd and preposterous! Nobody now or ever has sung in ET and nobody who plays any stringed or wind instrument either modern or antique ever did either.

If there ever could be any music that at all times had nothing but truly "in tune" intervals, it would surely be boring and lifeless. The temperament of a piano, whether a truly and properly executed ET or not is what provides the resonance that a piano has.

The oscillation in pitch that strings, winds and voices naturally produce when practicing good musicianship and intonation is what contributes beauty to music. I am no Baroque music expert or enthusiast, to be sure but I can tell that often, what is desired is not ET at all but Just Intonation. The desire for that purity of sound only occurs fleetingly. Nevertheless, that occasional pure sound is what contributes to musical beauty as does all of the rest of the impurity.

The resonance of a piano tuned in ET was what the late Virgil Smith taught in piano tuning for decades. He surely did believe in ET and tuned entirely by ear but he was often disappointed at the results of other aural tuners and particularly the results of ETD tunings. Nobody seemed to put the right amount of stretch in the octaves that would produce the kind of resonance that he did as his usual practice.

When I try to describe what to do to get that same kind of stretch, I get vitriolic condemnations of it and endless rantings of how it would not work, could not work and should not be tried. If I add to it that a carefully constructed Well Temperament could enhance that resonance even further, I get complete condemnation and remarks about how all the real technicians that used to participate on here have left in disgust by it.

Frankly, I don't care who comes and goes and never have either on here or any other forum. I prefer to talk about what has worked for me and the success I have made of it. Maybe I have polarized thought about temperament just as the Governor of the state of Wisconsin has done about certain political issues.

That seems to be a tradition here. It is either one way or the other. You either believe in what you are doing and stick with it, practice it, continue to serve it up or you do the best you can with whatever you may know. What I know is that ET, as a model and a goal is not worthy of pursuit. The more it is perfected, the less interesting a piano becomes.

I only need to go back to a match up between Virgil Smith and me in 1998 when, in an audience of exclusively piano technicians, the original EBVT prevailed over Virgil's best effort at ET, 4:1. In a re-match the next year in Chicago, there were virtually the same results with Virgil conceding, "I like that temperament."

It does not matter to me how many people liked what I did at either of those demonstrations, whether they understood it or not, whether any of them took it up or not. It also does not matter to me any of the negative comments on here may be. None of them have ever changed what I do nor will they ever. I'll just keep on doing what I do regardless. I will also keep noting virtually on a daily basis that what has been claimed to be ET, believed to be ET, ranted and raved about to be the only way to tune a piano, is actually a backwards version of what I do.

Well when the UT flavour of the month dissapears into obscurity, as all others before it always have, you may want to divert your energy into changing Wisconsins' great cheese. Its been yellow far to long and is really in need of some food colouring or something to spice it up.

Just make sure you market it using the same stratagy as EBVT. Point out that their great cheese is actually "reverse well cheese" and inferior to your own.

BTW Bill, just what kind of perfect stretch and resonance did the late Virgil Smith use on that Kawai in the Chicago tune off against Mr Colemans' ETD only tuning. It lost by a 10% margin if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Emmery; 06/29/12 01:12 AM.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Legendary principal horn Aubrey Brain (father of more famous Dennis Brain) is remembered for much insight and wisdom.

He forbade any discussion of religion, politics or intonation in any of his horn sections.

The rule still holds in all the orchestras he worked with.

He said, If you can't hear it, what on earth is the point of talking about it?

Last edited by rxd; 06/29/12 01:54 AM.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B

BTW Bill, just what kind of perfect stretch and resonance did the late Virgil Smith use on that Kawai in the Chicago tune off against Mr Colemans' ETD only tuning. It lost by a 10% margin if I remember correctly.

It is interesting to note that Coleman also developed his own well-temperaments....

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Kees

Good post, Kees. I should have known I could count on you. You probably even know where I am going to go with this.

What you have said is true only if the standard of being in-tune is just temperment, there is no iH, and the octaves are at 2:1 ratios.

If the standard of being in-tune is for the elements (unison, intervals, chords, keys, progressions, etc.) to sound like they are tuned the same, then only ET fits the bill.

Or if we absolutely have to stick with something that is just (coincidental partials) then ET still fits the bill with either the 5th, 12th or 19th being just. (Another possibility is the 22nd.) And depending on the iH of a piano the one of family of 5th intervals allows the octaves to sound beatless.

This brings up another facet of UT tuning that seems to be swept under the rug. It causes a "family feud" between the 5th family and the octave family as the temperment is expanded. The condundrum results in, well, trash being placed where it is least noticeable.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Page 3 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 37 38

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission