2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 126 of 140 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 139 140
N
N
I don't know whether my effort is all that good to listen to, but now that I'm over this bout of laryngitis, I can now be Blue Over You.

Every disease is a musical problem. Its cure, a musical solution. -- Novalis
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hey, Norm, I'm glad you're finally over the laryngitis. I've missed your singing! The singing and playing are both fab. If you want to pick hairs, there are very slight rhythm inaccuracies that would probably be ironed out by playing to a metronome e.g. bar 9 you give that 8th rest just a fraction too long. But I think you're mostly playing and singing quite accurately apart from that. When you sing to the met, the pulse is better.

Thanks for posting and waking us out of our summer and winter slumbers.

N
N
Thanks 10 for your feedback and comments. It does bring up an interesting issue: Metronome vs Rhythm Track. For reasons of ease, quality and comfort, I typically practice with a swing rhythm track and then record with a simple metronome at the same rhythm.

(Garageband doesn't record the metronome, so you couldn't hear it. Unfortunately, Garageband does record the rhythm track, transforming it into an ugly intrusive atonal bleat. So, by necessity, I turn it off)

I lose track of (read: ignore) the pulse of the metronome in part because I'm so used to having the swing eighths explicitly stated for me. In fact, it takes me a while to get used to a mere metronome due to such a dependence. It sounds so sparse, so lonely. I must work to "Think Swing" instead of having a side of swing served to me on a silver platter.

So does the externalized rhythm track help me to internalize the swing, or does it tempt me to be lazy and undisciplined when faced with a lowly metronome?

Then again, is dependency on a rhythm section such a bad thing?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
So you recorded that to metronome, even though I couldn't hear it? Only it sounded more accurate for the singing where I could hear the metronome.

N
N
Yep 10, That was no Metronome, that was my Track. I recorded the keyboard with the Metronome, and the singing with the Rhythm Track.

I guess that means you vote for the Rhythm Section over the poor humble metronome.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
OK, now I am so confused. I asked if you recorded the keyboard to metronome and you said yes (like you were agreeing with me) and that that was no metronome.

I am sure this makes sense somehow, I'll come back in the morning and find it then! laugh

N
N
Whoops 10! I think I have a gift for the nonsensical. I treated your opening question like a statement, and your following statement like a question. The "Yep" was in reference to the singing (Yes it did sound more accurate), not the first two keyboard tracks. I should have made that more clear.

The singing was more accurate because I was singing to the Rhythm Track. But the sound quality was worse because I recorded through the computer's microphone.

The solo keyboard was less accurate because I was playing to (or rebelling against) the metronome. But the sound quality was better because I recorded through the MIDI cable.

I might possibly dispense with the metronome altogether and record with the Swing Track through my computer's microphone. The sound quality would be a tad worse, but the timing might be better. Yet with the metronome, I won't have to rely on an outsourced swing. I'll weigh the pro's and con's.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
OK, I think I'm with you now. So, as you have this one at your fingertips now (and if you have the time and inclination), why not re record again, keyboard:
1. to rhythm track
2. to audible metronome, so we can compare.
Don't worry about the sound quality being poor, we'll still be able to hear where the notes are.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hey Norm
Thanks for posting Lesson 8 blues, it was fun to listen to your sung version which was swinging and rhythmically accurate.
I concur with 10 that the slight rhythmic inaccuracies of your non-sung version can be ironed out with consistent daily practice with a met. While rhythm sections might be fun to play along with, it is the met that will help you develop the internal feel of the centre of the beat.
Rhythm is hard, I'm sometimes not hitting right in the middle of beat 1 with my LH chords when I improvise.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Norm,
Very nice progress.
The back up rhythm section is OK to start, but quickly, the metromome will strengthen your rhythm better.
Especially when you start soloing with the feeling in 4.

N
N
Hey Everybody, thanks for you feedback. Per 10's suggestion, I have a back-to-back comparison. The first version is with the Rhythm track, the second with the Metronome. Both are recorded with mic, not MIDI.

Blue Over You Twice

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi well Norm, you can certainly play the tune just great! The pulse sounded spot on.

Now, if you have trouble playing to a bare metronome, it may be worthwhile at least some of the time, reverting back to boring ol' whole note chord in left hand, and playing the rh as written (i.e. not anticipating the beat, which you like to do).

But, the main thing is, you're making progress, that's great to see.

I have some recordings to share, will post later.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
That was just extremely cool Norm.
You are flying through Lesson 8.

N
N
Thanks 10 and Cus for your encouragement. Funny, I always thought my pulse was a tad irregular.

Anyhow, in the interest of further beating a dead horse, I woefully submit three versions: One with metronome, another with rhythm track, and a third sung quickly with finger snaps. Regarding the third, I stopped short when I saw my son standing before me, arms folded, shaking his head in horror.

I hope your reaction is more merciful, because it seems I'm Getting Contrapuntal over You.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Norman Cotterell
I stopped short when I saw my son standing before me, arms folded, shaking his head in horror.

What was he saying? Was it - look, dad, you have all this talent, and we still live here? Or - just don't do this when my friends are round. laugh

I think your singing is yabbily dabbily fantastissimo!

Playing also good. Congratulations on another lesson well done!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
It's been a while since I submitted any recording here, but I've not been totally idle. Here's Footnotes from lesson 39:

https://www.box.com/s/f67bee7e6a4ec0483417

This one was a real challenge, which is why I recorded. I just could not for the life of me get my left hand to play an F#7 (bar 6) and if I did, it invariably stalled at the Bb7 (bar 2). Don't know why this should be *so* very difficult. What is this tune anyway?

I had had a bit of a meltdown trying to improvise to Beautiful Love, so went back to Lady be Good:

https://www.box.com/s/df8e9a1e49d8d179c6f3

Comments and suggestions gratefully received.

Also been singing to Wes Montgomery. D natural blues:
https://www.box.com/s/698d51610fde9ddaac68

Fairly self-explanatory. Perhaps I should just add that at around 2.06 I found myself gyrating on the spot and slowly removing an article of clothing. I suddenly stopped short when I noticed my son standing before me, arms folded, shaking his head in horror...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Really nice lady be good.
You can try to vary your entrances a little, not starting on 1 as much, and also your ending.
You can try sprinkling some triplets also.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Good points, thanks! smile

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Norman Cotterell
Thanks 10 and Cus for your encouragement. Funny, I always thought my pulse was a tad irregular.

Anyhow, in the interest of further beating a dead horse, I woefully submit three versions: One with metronome, another with rhythm track, and a third sung quickly with finger snaps. Regarding the third, I stopped short when I saw my son standing before me, arms folded, shaking his head in horror.

I hope your reaction is more merciful, because it seems I'm Getting Contrapuntal over You.

Wow Norm !!!
Once again, I have to say that the improvement in your playing from lesson to lesson is enormous.
Your vocal range is really large, the high arps and low arps don't bother you at all.
Your great scat singing indicates that you will be ready for composition very soon.

Enjoy Lesson 9.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi 10
Lesson 39 is Giant Steps by Trane. Harmonic movement is in maj 3rds: B maj7 to Eb maj 7 to G maj 7. Yes the F#7 is hard, even harder when you drop the A# to the bottom note to enable you to hold down the minim for the full 2 beat value.

The melodic content of your improv was nice. How long have you spent on Lady Be Good ? If you are not sick of it, I would also learn the head in either F maj or G maj as some extra practice for ear training.

If you are sick of it, you can do more C maj songs. If you want easy, you can try Lady Bird. If you want slightly harder, you can try Satin Doll.

Page 126 of 140 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission