2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, 6 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 255 of 341 1 2 253 254 255 256 257 340 341
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I gather this is a jazz camp? Whereabouts?

I'll be going in a week to a jazz camp I've attended the last two years. It's called Tritone and I go to the one in Wisconsin.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Louisville, Kentucky.
http://workshops.jazzbooks.com/

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
I gather this is a jazz camp? Whereabouts?

I'll be going in a week to a jazz camp I've attended the last two years. It's called Tritone and I go to the one in Wisconsin.

Hey jjo-I'll be in Wisconsin (Madison) during that time!

I wanted to take a side trip to Door County but don't have enough time.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Chrisbell: Thanks. When I was picking a camp, it was between Aebersold and Tritone. I'd probably learn more at Aebersold; sounds a bit more intense. But Tritone is only over 21s and its a family, mellow atmosphere. People come back year after year and make friends get to know the faculty.

Jazzwee: enjoy Madison. If you need any recommendations I've got friends there and put a kid through college and grad school there. Aat least go to the student union and have a beer and a brat on the patio overlooking the lake for me.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by chrisbell
The day starts with a theory class at 8.30 then musicianship, combo, masterclass, combo, voicings, concert, jam session. In-between classes we might get time to eat. smile
Not sure about writing reports though. laugh

Yes we get sorted out.

sounds like alot of fun!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo

Jazzwee: enjoy Madison. If you need any recommendations I've got friends there and put a kid through college and grad school there. Aat least go to the student union and have a beer and a brat on the patio overlooking the lake for me.

Well, I'm copying you. smile I'm putting a kid through college there this fall. I spent a lot of time at the Rathskeller 30 years ago!

One of my buddies from way back when is now the Dean! If only the students knew his bad influence. LOL.

Will also have a Babcock Ice Cream in your honor.

My Jazz Blog

Hi beeboss

I recommend listening to Gregory porters version of skylark from his recording water. He is a singer and it is a spectacular reading of the tune.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for the tip

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is there something strange happening on this thread? In the last few days it seems some posts have come out of nowhere (jazz camps, and a reference to Skylark). Am I missing something?

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So I got double-booked tonight and left without playing. Second time to be double-booked this year. Of course, I still got paid so I really didn't care much.

But as I was chatting (complaining) about the double-booking, a restaurant owner (who heard us play before) came to talk to me and wanted us to play at his Cafe. Once a month! So overall it was cool.

This new gig has tight space (and only had a budget for a trio) so I'll have to prepare myself for trio playing.

In the meantime, recordings from Monday...These two ended up as a medley since there was no stop in between. Comments welcome.

Mr. PC
https://www.box.com/s/2c0f0fcac76cda89cf51

Red Clay (Repost)
https://www.box.com/s/af32a168dd66a471bf14

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
As we're setting up for the gig last night (outdoor venue) a family sends a kid up to up to ask if we can play the Macarena. That's a first. They turned out to be a friendly bunch when I chatted with them. Don't know if they liked our music.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
As we're setting up for the gig last night (outdoor venue) a family sends a kid up to up to ask if we can play the Macarena. That's a first. They turned out to be a friendly bunch when I chatted with them. Don't know if they liked our music.

smile What can you do? One weird one was when somebody asked me to play Tango. I said "mam -- we're a jazz band.".

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So I have big story to tell. I arrived at our regular venue and then the person in charge said, "Oh, BTW, you're playing for a crowd of 200+ --it's the wrap-party for the movie Raging Bull II".

OMG -- so while we were playing, all these movie stars were around us. I had a picture taken with Paul Sorvino (Sopranos) after the gig, but the rest were around in the middle of the sets.

And they asked me if the Director could sit in on a couple of tunes. I guess he's a jazz pianist. But he didn't actually approach us though.

Anyway, it was so noisy we couldn't hear ourselves so we pumped up the volume and dropped all the soft tunes. Played everything uptempo. We had to stay longer since the crowd was still heavy (and quickly negotiated extra pay).

I made sure to hand out my cards to the production company people. Too bad I wasn't prepared for this.

Big time gig but NOT big time pay -- because I had no idea. Too bad.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
sounds like a blast and a gig to remember!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
So I have big story to tell. I arrived at our regular venue and then the person in charge said, "Oh, BTW, you're playing for a crowd of 200+ --it's the wrap-party for the movie Raging Bull II".

OMG -- so while we were playing, all these movie stars were around us. I had a picture taken with Paul Sorvino (Sopranos) after the gig, but the rest were around in the middle of the sets.

I thought you used an iPad for your lead sheets? You could've taken pictures WHILE playing with the nifty little camera it has...

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Nice one JW, hanging with the stars.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well that's certainly a high profile gig on our resume!

Scep, when you're doing a solo and these scantily clad women are hovering nearby, there are enough distractions. I won't even try to post recordings of this. smile

I can say that Hollywood types are quite unpleasant too. I had some blondie make some put-down comment to me. Besides, did anyone really care about anything other than to pose themselves to each other so they get their next job? Likely not. The proof was in the tip jar. Minimal. Good thing the venue increased our pay.

A friend of mine who's in Film production (who was there too), made a comment: "Don't worry, those people you saw there are unemployed today!" (It's a movie wrap...).

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Listened to the recordings of the Hollywood gig. We played pretty well. However, the recordings were very compressed and right next to the Keyboard PA so I won't bother your ears with them.

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
At my gig on this past Saturday, here in the humdrum Midwest, no celebs, no scantily clad ladies, but one dude bought everyone in the band a beer. Fine by me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in to say hello. I'm still here! I've been periodically checking in to see what's happening, but I've been slow at the piano lately. I'm an outdoors person so the nice weather pulls me away when I'm not teaching. And I'm dissappointed to report that my trio is essentially dead. I decided I didn't like pushing so hard to get a gig and nothing was working out, so our bass player split. He doesn't have time to play unless he's getting paid. So my hope is to find someone else to replace him. My drummer and I are on the same page that we want to play, but aren't concerned about gigs. We just like working out tunes and developing our sound. So we may be out of luck trying to find a good player who's not worried about playing out and has time. We'll see. Otherwise I still practice a bit most days and I'm still trying to get my timing more solid.

Jazzwee, sounds like your gigs are going well. Enjoy it!

Knotty and Chris, have fun at the jazz camp! I've never been to one, but it definitely sounds like a good time.

Page 255 of 341 1 2 253 254 255 256 257 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission