2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
My usual choice of piano on my CN-33 is Piano-1 level-3, but of late I've noticed that the C3 (Low C) key has a kind of muted dull tone, noticable when compared with the B and D adjacent keys. I've checked the note with my electronic tuner and it is perfectly in tune. I'm presently trying out different piano functions to find if get one I like. I've had the piano over a year now and it's around this time I get to buying something different so the problem may be solved.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Which piano voice? I've not noticed that on C3 on GP1.

B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Which piano voice? I've not noticed that on C3 on GP1.

I'm getting it on GP1 at Level 3, almost sounds like the note is flat but it isn't, it's in tune according to my electronic tuner.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Hmmmm...maybe the tone is slightly different rather than being out of tune. If I play it as parts of different scales it sounds ok to me. But if I just play B3-C3-D3 then maybe just maybe there's a difference in something to do with the tone or timbre. Try hitting it slightly harder than the adjacent keys?

Someone else complained recently about a different key sounding brighter. I had difficulty detecting that too but he was right. It's so difficult sometimes at my level to know if it's my own poor dynamic control or the sample.

One other thing, a few weeks ago I had to do a factory reset as I hit a panel key combination that changed the tone of all piano keys. I just could not figure out what that was.

Q
Q
How do you feel about your CN-33? I want to buy one, is it a good piano for a beginner?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is this issue something that is noticeable in regular playing or is this an issue for those who go looking for issues?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Qubix
How do you feel about your CN-33? I want to buy one, is it a good piano for a beginner?

I tried out a lot of DPs before I bought my CN-33, I'd say it is still the best buy in it's price range.

B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Is this issue something that is noticeable in regular playing or is this an issue for those who go looking for issues?

If I hadn't noticed a difference I wouldn't post about it, I'm not a forum member who just likes the sound of his own keyboard, please excuse the pun. grin

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Qubix

I was a beginner of six months when I bought mine two years ago. I agree with bluebilly, it was the best in its price range, and competitive with some of the Rolands 'above' it (HP302, 305, 307).

I've had no issues or problems with mine at all. Two reports now, with bluebilly's, of notes sounding odd but I have not personally noticed although I have elderly ears.

The keyboard is quiet, soft (which not everyone likes, but I do), and very good for control and repetition.The C4 keys are looser now than say C2 or C7 but no clicking.

I did explore using pianoteq at one stage, enjoyed the diversion and went back to playing one of the inbuilt voices. I've used different inbuilt voices over the time, including layering two piano tones together, a mellow, a twangy and now the main voice. Over headphones the expressiveness is very good, perhaps not so much with the speakers, YMMV.

I like to play modern music, Einaudi, Tiersen and the like, but along the way have learnt some classical to go with theory and hand independence, including small repertoire from Bach, Purcell, Clementi, Beethoven, Satie and so on. The CN33 has not held me back and the dynamic range and keyboard are perfectly fine.

Play one for yourself and see. It's not perfect, but probably still one of the best in its the price range. (I just love the FP7F over headphones but not speakers, but it's more expensive, and the keyboard is hard on the hands).

Under orders (and that's the only reason) I'm now looking for a 'better looking cabinet' DP, since it's located in the main living room. But that's OK since it gives me budget approval for something like a LX15, CS9, NU1 or CUP3 wink

Q
Q
Thanks for all your replies. They, together with other reviews and videos, helped me to make my decision. CN33 it is. smile I can't wait to start learning piano. Hope it will be fun. smile Unfortunately, I can't try one, I'll have to order it online, that's why I asked all the questions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission