2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sutino Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I`ve been playing my Kawai MP10 through headphones which is fine for short periods. What kind of speakers would people recommend for a small room that sound good at low volume. I`m leaning towards studio monitors but the choice is overwhelming.

I have a Yamaha P85 and mostly played it with headphones while visiting my daughter. It is now back at my place (boyfriend moved in - piano got the boot) in the same room as my acoustic grand.

So in order to play 2 piano music, I need speakers. After much research, I purchased, just this week, Mackie MR5mk2 speakers for $150 each. They sound pretty good in the mid range, a little wobbly in the extreme base. But I also read that the base improves after about 10 hours of use.

I bought them at Guitar Center which gives me 30 days to return if not happy.

Piano: Brodmann PE 187 Strauss
Flute: Sankyo CF-201 with RT2 headjoint
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
But I also read that the base improves after about 10 hours of use.

I always find it interesting that things improve with age and not get worse.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Ah, should read "bass" not "base". My mistakes increase with age!

Piano: Brodmann PE 187 Strauss
Flute: Sankyo CF-201 with RT2 headjoint
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
But I also read that the base improves after about 10 hours of use.

I always find it interesting that things improve with age and not get worse.

It's true of quite a few things, Dave.

- A lot of speakers "open up" with use after being initially a bit stiff.
- An acoustic guitar is nowhere near its potential when it's brand new. It takes time for the glue and lacquer to loosen and for the wood to learn how to resonate. True of acoustic pianos to a lesser extent.
- New guitar strings are too bright at first. They sound best after a couple of days of playing.
- New piano action is a bit tight because felts are not compressed yet. Tends to be faster and light after some use.
- A new engine is very tight when first run, it takes a little while for it to develop full power.
- A cricketer's favourite bat can take months to reach maturity - that's why they are so fussy about not just using any old bat. They play them in over time in the practice nets to compress the wood and get a "lively" feeling into it. New bats feel heavy and dead.

I could come up with plenty of other examples, but you get the idea. Of course everything mentioned has a life-cycle. They will have an optimal period, but also a a decline at some point.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, though one case in which it is apparently *not* true is speakers. Speaker burn in is one of those hi fi myths that can't be reproduced in controlled, blind studies (it's been checked a bunch of times). It's no more true than the notion that very expensive cables make music sound better than normal ones.

The more important effect with speakers is that your ears get used to them. And there is also the placebo effect.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So, in this instance it's a bass less\baseless claim. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Whiskey and Wine improve with age.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Yes, though one case in which it is apparently *not* true is speakers. Speaker burn in is one of those hi fi myths that can't be reproduced in controlled, blind studies (it's been checked a bunch of times). It's no more true than the notion that very expensive cables make music sound better than normal ones.

The more important effect with speakers is that your ears get used to them. And there is also the placebo effect.

Well my experience with speakers is limited only to this:

I have a Trace Elliot PA system with EV woofers in it. The PA is about 15 years old. About 2 years ago the left channel woofer burned out and I replaced it with an identical new EV speaker. At first there was pronounced difference in the sound. The left channel sounded weaker, less warm, less bassy. And yes, I did A/B them using a Mono source to see whether I was imagining things. I wasn't. I accepted that the speaker might have been a slightly different design. But now that it's 2 years later, they sound identical again! I can only put this down to wearing in. I do recall that the new speaker felt stiffer around the edges of the cone when I installed it. I think that's where some of the change occurs - the flexible membrane which joins the cone to the housing can become more flexible and creates a speaker which breathes a bit more. I don't know where the rest of the change might be happening.

I accept that this is my own anecdote and you have no reason to believe me, but it was real enough for me to believe it.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Haha, well I'm not really a speaker expert. I have tried to burn in a number of speakers without noticing any difference and I've done a lot of internet "research" (a meta-analysis, if you will) and my conclusion is as I stated it above. If you put engineers, manufacturers, and experimental results in one column and retailers and hi fi advocates in the other, you find with few exceptions that the first column says there's no such thing as burn in and the second says there is.

Maybe there are certain cases (perhaps older speakers?) where it is a thing. I don't know. I'm not actually an engineer, manufacturer, or experimenter (if you don't count my own attempts to burn speakers in).

Last edited by gvfarns; 07/08/12 10:33 AM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
It's certainly not important enough for me to bother trying to induce it myself. I think of it as part of the life-cycle of the product. I think any speaker would be within 10-15% of its best when brand new or else they would have trouble selling them! It may also be that the speaker gains something through age, but also loses something. Then it's just a question of whether you like the tonal balance that you end up with.

S
Sutino Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I was hoping for some useful advice about speakers but the replies are (OK entertaining)spiraling away from my original question. Come on now share a little.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Hey, if it wasn't for our off-topic banter, this thread would be vanishing into obscurity!

Sorry I can't help with your question. I haven't bought this type of speaker in many years. Hope you get an answer soon!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Three names to look at are Yamaha powered reference speakers HS50 and HS80 and Alesis M1 Active series. Polk (passive?) speakers are also mentioned here on this forum. But since I haven't owned or even tried these speakers, I'm keen to see what people with more experience of these things say, too.

I would like something to widen the range of the sound from the internal speakers in the Roland HP302. The thing is, whilst they are very restricted in frequency range, they are fairly good at representing the sound of a piano. My external'hi-fi' set up is great for opening out the sound (especially for other instruments sourced from the DP) but the characteristic piano sound is somewhat compromised.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
After owning a few pair my recommendation is not to get studio monitors. They just aren't designed to sound particularly good. They are designed to reveal flaws in the music. The result is that they are very clear, but it is super easy for them to sound harsh and not too pleasant. The other real downside of them is they are super directional, which means you have to point them RIGHT AT YOUR HEAD and they have to be positioned just so and at the right height. It's a hassle. And they sound bad if you are not in their direct path.

In my opinion, a pair of bookshelf-sized hi fi and a sub is a better alternative. Or floor standing. They may color the sound in some way, but are designed to do it in such a way that it sounds good and fills a room. At the moment I'm temporarily using some high end computer speakers. Computer speakers are considered to be kind of crappy for this application, but I have to say I enjoy these better than I did my monitors. Genuine hi fi would be better despite the fact that you would have to hassle with an amp as well.

Better than all these alternatives is just to stick with headphones. A good pair of headphones sounds great in any room. smile

Last edited by gvfarns; 07/08/12 07:52 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
KRK K8 Rokit's

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Well, or the RP6's and the 10s if you are going with the KRK's. I had the 8's and found them unacceptable on the low end so I ended up getting the sub anyway. The 8's are kind of a jack of all trades.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Just to give another opinion, and confuse the OP further, I think monitors can be fine, if connected via a multi-stage equaliser that allows you to shape the sound to the room and your ears. Small room, m-audio BX5 with a sub, or BX8 without a sub. ...and the EQ.

Speakers like so many things tend to be a personal choice and you need to listen first. So buy from a retailer who you can also return them to.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Sutino... I would highly recommend the Event Opals. They would live up to your MP10's quality. Don't worry about the power. The big secret on power is: It's for sounding good and having dynamic range when the volume is down low.
I own a pair of Event ASP8's. This brand is known to be easier to listen to. I love mine. Even though they have quality problems and the amp will go out. Doh! Still love em in comparison. They need to be placed right to get the best out of them. They are monitors. Not speakers.
You might also consider the Event BAS 20/20. They appear to be the same speaker I have. But with increased reliability. They have heat sinks on the back. Mine don't.
I wouldn't get anything MKII. They all have drawn out falsely increased muddy bass. Same with the Rockits. Most popular cheaper monitors are this way. Someone may like them at first. But they will wear out their welcome in time with that bass.
Yes there are speakers and monitors that do need break in. I have a pair of monitors that sounded awful at first. Had to burn them in. They keep sounding better. Not as good as my Event's though. Some speakers are just built tight. No big deal. Just throw them on a bed. Throw a blanket over them. And crank them for hours. Burns them in.
I do think monitors would be good for a small room. They are built for close up listening. I would also look into treating the room acoustically. The room can ruin the sound.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Small room, m-audio BX5 with a sub

This is exactly what I ended up using.

M-Audio SBX10 Subwoofer
M-Audio BX5 D2 Studio Monitors

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission