Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1953993 - 09/04/12 08:52 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
Hello Schwammerl,

Thank you very much for sharing.

JT
GPH
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1954012 - 09/04/12 09:50 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: schwammerl]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
On October 12, 2012 (Friday), Yamaha Corporation will make a worldwide launch of a new series of acoustic grand pianos, the CX Series, which will replace its premium quality "C Series" pianos.

So... if I read this correctly, the current C will be replaced, no longer made. I bet the C3XA/C6XA will no longer be made either, as they are exactly the same thing as the future C3X and C6X.

The only bad thing about this means a new C-series piano will be much more expensive once the current C-series stock is gone.

I wonder how long it takes to sell out all the current stock of C3, when the C3X would be the only kind of new C3 you could get from a dealer? One or two years?

#1954130 - 09/05/12 07:11 AM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
you ask really good questions, 4evrBeginR. hard to imagine yamaha would give up price points that have been so successful for them. to possibly oversimplify, that means that either CXs take on XA pricing (substantially higher), CXs get a bump in pricing (potentially mitigated with dealer discounts) or CXs simply replace Cs in the pricebook (the latter would leave XA buyers a bit miffed i would think).

jeff, what sayest thou?

#1954198 - 09/05/12 11:17 AM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I will be playing the C3X either later this week, or early next week.

I've also played C3XA and of course C3.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1954231 - 09/05/12 12:24 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The problem with Yamaha is that they creep their prices up and up and up, until the point where you could match it with a Bluthner or something. Of course, since Yamaha have control of Bosendorfer, they don't have to worry about competition there... they'll just knock up the Bosie prices (which are already very high).

Of course, if the CX series are significantly better than the C series, then I don't expect that they SHOULD be the same price. If there's a lot of R and D involved there, and upgraded materials, then the pianos will be more expensive and justifiably so.

It depends on the application of the piano. A pianist who only has one piano, will want something middle of the road, that can take a pounding and will retain it's sound reasonably well, then you flog it and upgrade. You don't expect to make money on it because you've worked it into the ground.

A pianist with two pianos might want something middle of the road, or even less for note bashing - even an old vertical - and then want something a bit special for the finishing work, finding out what the possibilities are. You couldn't really do that on the older C series pianos. Perhaps the CX will allow more refined practice.

#1954251 - 09/05/12 01:20 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
jawhitti Offline

I wonder what this will do to the used market for existing C-series piano. Using the C3 as the canonical Yamaha let's assume that the C3X will list for considerably more than the current C3. Let's say a C3X costs $5000 more than the current C3 new. (call it $35k instead of $30k just for round numbers).

Someone with a $30k budget that wants a C3 now can't get a new one *at all* for that price and if they like the Yamaha sound they will turn to the used market. In this case, demand goes up for used C3s.

On the other hand if the C3X is significantly better to where most buyers strongly prefer it to the existing C3 then demand for the existing C3s may go down. I think that's what happened to the G series which seem to go for less on the used market than similar-vintage Cs.

If the C3X is significantly better sounding and is NOT quite a bit more expensive than the existing C3 then I would expect the latter to happen. But C-series Yamahas are pretty damned expensive already and every dollar they increase the price increases their vulnerability from the lower tiers. If Yamaha wants to continue selling hundreds of thousands of C-series pianos instead of just thousands of "boutique" pianos I don't think they have much room on price. I'm pretty well off financially but a new C3 is really hard for me to justify at $30k. If it moves upmarket to 40k it will be basically out-of-reach for 95% of Americans.

Japanese car manufacturers established toeholds in the American markets with cheap models but they quickly moved upscale. Surely Yamaha doesn't want to be outflanked in that way.

#1954281 - 09/05/12 02:03 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

when last i checked the C3XA retail was $53k. if the C3X is essentially the same, it's hard to imagine it getting a retail price in the 40s, much less the 30s. and like i said before, if it does there are going to be some very unhappy C3XA owners out there.

#1954294 - 09/05/12 02:24 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
jawhitti Offline

Well, not very many of them wink

#1954302 - 09/05/12 02:39 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
1000 Post Club Member

In Canada, the C3XA retail price is $7,400 higher than the C3, so about $4,424 more. I suspect that the C3X might be similar.

#1954315 - 09/05/12 03:03 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Wow - talk about wild speculation!

#1954354 - 09/05/12 04:12 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Furtwangler]
worldlinerai Offline

Loc: 5-pts Island
Things change so quickly. I wonder what the Yamaha product line will look like when I have the financial ability to change out of my current spinet.

However, I looked up the Japanese version of Yamaha's website and it shows prices for the pianos. It looks as if the new CX series will sell between their XA and regular counterparts. But then again, the prices are only for Japan and do not reflect US/CAN/EU/AUS customers. I feel that the extra costs for XA series were to fund their R&D bills for the CX series.

I too wonder what Yamaha used for their treble strings before. There was a YT video that I watched in which a salesperson selling an older Yamaha said that Yamaha outsourced parts on their newer models.

#1954358 - 09/05/12 04:14 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Furtwangler]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Furtwangler
Wow - talk about wild speculation!

Agreed. We can only speculate about your speculation, since you haven't quoted anyone. Hence, we don't know whom you are directing your comment to!

#1954538 - 09/05/12 11:40 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
I will be playing the C3X either later this week, or early next week.

I've also played C3XA and of course C3.

Is it already available in Canada? I would be very interested in your opinion of the C3X compared to C3XA.

#1954647 - 09/06/12 08:01 AM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: 4evrBeginR]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR

Is it already available in Canada? I would be very interested in your opinion of the C3X compared to C3XA.

Yes!

I spoke with a dealer yesterday, who had just uncrated a C3X. He said the action is phenomenal, comparable with the CFIII. They will have it prepped for next week.

I also spoke with another dealer who expects to get a C3X in within two weeks. Although he has had no experience with the instrument, he quoted another dealer who has played it, who apparently compared it to the C3, saying it has a richer sound, is more unlimited in terms of voicing, bigger bass, greater volume, and a top register that is beautifully sweet.

I found the C3XA that I played to have less bass, and less volume than the C3 - so opposite.

I'll know more when I play the first C3X next week.

I'm very excited about this prospect, since I expected to have to wait for months to try out a C3X.

Lawrence

#1956976 - 09/10/12 02:22 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Melodialworks Music]
1000 Post Club Member

I now have an appointment booked for tomorrow evening to play the new C3X. The store will be closed, so guaranteed to be quiet.

#1958044 - 09/12/12 08:06 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
1000 Post Club Member

Yesterday I played the new C3X. I'm likely one of the very few customers who has played the C3, the C3X and the C3XA.

It is apparent that the C3XA and the C3X are not the same instrument, as some have reported, at least based on my audition experience. I have heard that the C3XA soundboard was a cross between the old C and the new CFX style board in the C3X.

The C3X is one big sounding piano! In fact, there was a C6 sitting beside it, which is a 7' piano. The tone was better on the C3X, and just as big a sound, if not bigger than the C6 - astounding really.

There is a tremendous range of dynamics, and colour. You can get superbly soft dynamics with effortless control. It is also easy to get a big, loud tone. When you play louder, the tone does not get thin, like it does on the C3. The C3X has a bigger, more resonant sound.

I played it for an hour, and then talked with the dealer. When he asked what I thought about the action, I realized I hadn't thought about it at all, hadn't noticed it since it just worked. Perfect and enjoyable and successful in every way.

There's really nothing about the C3X that I don't like. Previously the C3 was my favourite instrument, but the C3X trumps it - better resonance, tone, action, playability.

So, my next step will be to play the C3X at the other two local dealers when they become available. In short order, I will have played three C3X's, all setup by different piano techs.

At this point, I'm confident that there will be a C3X in my future!

#1958163 - 09/13/12 07:15 AM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

thanks for the report MM. can you describe what you think are the differences between the c3xa and c3x?

#1958251 - 09/13/12 11:39 AM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Entheo]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Entheo
thanks for the report MM. can you describe what you think are the differences between the c3xa and c3x?

Here are my observations, based on playing only one C3XA. (Others have reported different results, so it could be down to setup).

The C3XA is much more expensive, and not worth the additional expense.

The sound is different, more European, a darker sound. The hammers are too soft. Hard to get volume out of it.

The key may be to find the right tech to work on it. The one that I played had had three techs work on it, none producing a satisfactory result. The sound is OK, but lacking in excitement. It feels like you're playing a much smaller instrument.

I don't like the look of the XA, either the music desk with holes, or the "XA Class" stencilled on it. I had removed the C3XA from consideration before even trying the C3X.

#1961042 - 09/19/12 09:31 AM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
I had an opportunity to play a new C3XA yesterday, albeit very briefly.

I was very impressed.

The instrument is very different from the standard C3 - the tone is much more to my liking and as someone else posted earlier I believe - would change one's impression of Yamaha grands completely.

That's all I'll say - try one for yourself if you are curious. Talk is cheap.

#1964277 - 09/25/12 01:49 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
1000 Post Club Member

At the Yamaha Canada website, additional information has been posted about the CX series:

Yamaha Canada CX Series

There are now links to "Designer Interview", "Developer Interview" and "History"

Interesting reading.

#1964336 - 09/25/12 03:31 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
While doing my piano search, I tried a new C3XA. I am not a fan of Yamaha pianos generally unless playing jazzy stuff, but this piano was different. More fit for classical music. Very nice, but a lot more money than a regular C3. If it was cheaper, I think it would really sell well to those who find most Yamahas too bright.

#1964374 - 09/25/12 05:09 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I guess maybe Yamaha gives very similar names to different models to show how they've developed or ?. But by doing so I think it makes things very confusing for the buyer.

I have looked up the different models in the Piano Buyer several times, but I still can't keep them straight.

#1964400 - 09/25/12 05:53 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
I never understand what's meant by "German felt"

Only hear Wurzen as felting company, Renner or Abel as hammer
makers.

http://www.filzfabrik-wurzen.de/de/51/home

Outside Eberle & Osterried" and "Vereinigte Filzfabriken", "German felt" seems to be represented mainly by a host of Chinese manufacturers. Is this just a name? Curious.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/german-wool-felt.html

Anybody more in the know?

P.S.Heard that the new Yamaha is beautiful!

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (09/25/12 06:04 PM)

#1964450 - 09/25/12 07:27 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
1000 Post Club Member

Norbert -

I tried to send you a private message, but it says "Norbert is over their Private Topic limit."

Lawrence

#1964524 - 09/25/12 11:00 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Norbert]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Ach - Norbert is usually over his limit! laugh

Originally Posted By: Norbert
I never understand what's meant by "German felt"
Only hear Wurzen as felting company, Renner or Abel as hammer
makers....

Wurzen (Weickert) felt was already exported to Japan back in the 1920s and 30s, as I understand it. Today, Asia is again one of their important markets. While some Chinese pianos have German made hammers, others make their own using felt made in Germany, as do some Japanese piano companies. Chinese companies like to make use of the "made in Germany" status to raise their profile, others (Japanese?) don't make mention of the source of their felt, for whatever reason.

Speaking of hammers made in China, does anyone know of German brand hammers made there?

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1965048 - 09/26/12 11:03 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
JazzPianoOnline Offline

Loc: raleigh, nc
i just visited my local yamaha dealer to play the new cx3. wow was i disappointed. despite the fact that it was totally unprepared (why do piano dealers not tune their pianos?) it sounded weak and anemic. the awkward tenor break at B/Bb is still there (no new scale design?) and the bass was muddy and soft. honestly, if i had been blindfolded i would have thought it was an inexpensive 5' chinese grand.

i should say i am a yamaha fan- i've owned 3 so far (m1e, u3 and currently a dc3).

in addition, it looked cheap. it had an orange plate (as opposed to the old gold color), the spade legs are gone (replaced with straight tapered legs that i always associate with cheap grands) and the top of the dampers are a dull black without the nice contour of before. nothing about this piano impressed me.

i told the dealer i'll be back in a few months to allow the to get it together but i am not hopeful. i find this very distressing.

let's hope the c7x doesn't fare as poorly.

#1965153 - 09/27/12 08:08 AM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: JazzPianoOnline]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JazzPianoOnline
despite the fact that it was totally unprepared

Really? You're distressed because because you didn't like an instrument that was "totally unprepared"?

The CX series are left more open from that factory than the C series. Yamaha is recommending six hours of prep work to be done.

I've recently played three C3X's and the prep time they each received was 5-1-/2 hours, 6 hours and 6-/12 hours, respectively.

The CX series (at least at C3X size and above) are definitely superior to the C series. Not even close. (Yes, I have played C3 and C3X side-by-side).

I suspect that if you play one actually properly prepped, you will post a different opinion!

#1983434 - 11/06/12 01:18 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Carln78 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Any one know where the new Yamaha CX series are made?

Steinway Hall - Dallas / Ft. Worth / Plano
House of Worship Representative

#1983448 - 11/06/12 02:02 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
Hello Carl,

I can answer your question.

The new Yamaha "CX" series pianos are fully manufactured in Kakegawa (Shizuoka Prefecture) Japan. I personally was invited by Yamaha corporation to view this amazing factory.

Jeff Tasch
Grand Piano Haus
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

#1983484 - 11/06/12 04:03 PM Re: Introducing the new YAMAHA ??? coming later this year!!! [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Carln78 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
thank you your help.

Carl

Steinway Hall - Dallas / Ft. Worth / Plano
House of Worship Representative

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (*windowlicker*, Abby Pianoman, ajames, accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, 47 invisible), 1509 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75959 Members
42 Forums
157088 Topics
2306929 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
28 minutes 12 seconds ago
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
Consolation 3 played by Paul Barton question
by briandang
Today at 01:37 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission