Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1922169 - 07/03/12 11:42 AM fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice.
dcb Offline

So the good news is I finally figured out what was causing some buzzing in my upright...there are three hinges on the lid and one of them is causing the buzz. I took the hinge pin out and the buzzing stopped.

I put some thick lithium grease on the pin and put it back but the buzzing started again.

Any ideas what I should use to fix it? Different type of grease maybe? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1922171 - 07/03/12 11:45 AM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Remove the pin and put a small bend in the length,then re-install
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1922175 - 07/03/12 11:55 AM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Linseed oil.

#1922181 - 07/03/12 12:09 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

#1922274 - 07/03/12 04:12 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

Went to the hardware store and didn't know what to get. Should I use boiled linseed oil or raw linseed oil?

Thanks!

#1922289 - 07/03/12 04:56 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
tds Offline

Loc: Bastrop, Texas
Linseed oil is fine to use, but look at it this way. You will use about 3 drops out of whatever size container it comes in and the rest of it will probably sit around unused forever.

I would just put a slight bend in the middle of the pin and put it back in, if it were me. I'm just sayin'...

YMMV!

Edited by tds (07/03/12 05:04 PM)

Tom Seay, Recovering Piano Technician
Bastrop, Texas

#1922290 - 07/03/12 04:57 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
tonecrafter tuning Offline

I don't know how linseed oil would remedy a buzz. I extract the hinge pin, kink/bend it slightly and insert it.
The kink tightens the pin so it doesn't move, hence buzz, in the hinge leafs.

#1922295 - 07/03/12 05:09 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

What do you think would be the easiest, safest method to put a slight bend in the hinge? I would be inclined to put it in a vice with something metal against the middle and squeeze it in the vice. Any better ideas than that? Should I heat it up first?

I've also heard of "peening" it by using a hammer and center punch to put some dimples in the pin. This would make it slightly bigger. Any thoughts on this method?

#1922296 - 07/03/12 05:11 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Place the pin on a hard surface and give it a whack with a hammer right in the middle. Then pick up the pin and have a look.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1922305 - 07/03/12 05:27 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
tds Offline

Put it in a bench vise with half the pin sticking out and give it a GENTLE tap at the top. That should do it.

Bastrop, Texas

#1922328 - 07/03/12 06:30 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: tds]
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Windsor,Nova Scotia Canada
Linseed oil is the only way to fix the buzz. I had spent a number of hours taken a hinge apart, bending the pin etc and still had the buzz. Go to art supply store and you should be able to buy a small bottle of linseed oil, it doesn't make any difference if it is boiled or raw. Apply a drop at each segment on the hinge, rub it in with your finger, work the hinge a bit and the buzz will be gone

#1922336 - 07/03/12 06:44 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Take the can of linseed oil, place it in the vise, and whack it real good with the hammer. Then take the hinge pin and roll it around the floors, walls and ceiling.......wherever you see linseed oil. Now replace the hinge pin....the buzz should be gone

#1922338 - 07/03/12 06:48 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
tds Offline

Chacun â son goût!

Bastrop, Texas

#1922406 - 07/04/12 12:19 AM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Apply thin CA and then spray ProtekCLP
Immediately work back and forth.

Close to a permanent fix. Works real nice on all those buzzing music desk and lid hinge pins.

#1922772 - 07/04/12 09:18 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

I put some Linseed Oil on the hinge pin and thought I had fixed the problem. Then tonight I was playing again and it started again. This time, different note and it didn't go away when I opened the lid like last time. Pretty frustrating stuff. Now I'm not even sure it is the hinge anymore. I've called my piano technician but haven't heard back from her. It would be great if she could come by and fix it but I'm really worried that because the buzz is so inconsistent it may be fine when she arrives and then start up again a day later.

I'm trying to gather as much information for her as possible to save her some time but I think I'm going to give up pretty soon.

Any ideas why the buzz doesn't always happen on the same exact note? I'm hoping this is a common problem with a common cause. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.

#1923261 - 07/06/12 03:54 AM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
pianolive Offline

Loc: Europe
Did you tighten the hinge screws?

#1923264 - 07/06/12 04:07 AM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline

I tightened the hinge screws. As of now the buzz is gone, but it tends to come back seemingly in a different place. My piano tech is coming in a couple weeks so I'll keep observing and see what happens.

#1923370 - 07/06/12 11:15 AM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It could be coming from someplace else on the piano, or in the room. If you press against the part you think it is coming from and it does not stop, chances are it is something else.

#1925610 - 07/11/12 11:00 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: CC2 and Chopin lover]
CoolPianoStuff Offline

Originally Posted By: CC2 and Chopin lover
Take the can of linseed oil, place it in the vise, and whack it real good with the hammer. Then take the hinge pin and roll it around the floors, walls and ceiling.......wherever you see linseed oil. Now replace the hinge pin....the buzz should be gone

Now that's funny. Thanks I needed that.

#1925632 - 07/11/12 11:49 PM Re: fixing a buzzing lid hinge? Need advice. [Re: dcb]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
I've found a bug zapper does a pretty good job of getting rid of buzzing sounds...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (Atrys, ASLevelMusicTheory, 36251, AZNpiano, 24 invisible), 1110 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153597 Topics
2251165 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission