2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/kronos/ws_kronosx.php

Wow! the original Kronos is only a year old!

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont

It looks to be pretty much the same, just a bit more memory. Not sure why they bothered. More marketing than substance, this update.

I hate it when models get updated really soon - it makes all existing buyers feel like their new purchase is already out of date and its value depreciated.

K
K
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont

Thanks for posting this. I'm delighted that Korg has come out with a new version of the Kronos, but am absolutely appalled that they continue to hamstring it with that dreadful, clunky, outdated RH3 action, especially after all the grief this action brought them with the original Kronos! These corporate types never seen to learn from their mistakes and are obviously more concerned with fattening their 'bottom line' and the pockets of their shareholders rather than producing a keyboard of a quality that is commensurate with the inflated prices that they're charging for it! I recall bemoaning this fact to a local Korg dealer last year and being told: "I see your point, but you have to understand that the Kronos was never intended to be marketed to classically-trained pianists such as yourself, but to pop and rock musicians, the majority of whom wouldn't know the difference between a good action and a bad one, hence the reason Korg decided to spend their R&D budget on developing the sounds and features of the Kronos as their first priority; to develop a whole new action from scratch is very expensive and couldn't be justified for such an instrument given that the RH3 action has worked well enough for the intended market." As you can imagine, this news is rather disheartening as I very much like the sounds and features of the Kronos and would buy one in a heartbeat if the action was more like the Kawai MP10, or the Roland PHA-III....heck, even Yamaha's GHE action is far superiour to any RH3 keyboard!

Perhaps they've made some improvements to the original RH3 action for this new Kronos that have yet to be announced...but I'm not holding my breath on that one!

*sigh*

K.

Last edited by KLSinCT; 07/12/12 03:33 PM.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ando
[It looks to be pretty much the same, just a bit more memory. Not sure why they bothered.

Lots of Kronos users have been putting in more RAM. It makes sense that they are starting to ship the Kronos that way, rather than having us all have to upgrade it after the fact.

More memory, more storage, and OS improvements are all good things. And the fact that the old model is not being left behind (all these things can be added) is good too. But this is a better way to ship it, with the extra RAM. (I suspect that they may have moved to the bigger SSD because smaller capacity ones may be getting scarce!)

Really, this is very similar to when the Korg M3 was superseded by the M3-EXP. If they're shipping it with more stuff, they make a small change to the model name to indicate the difference.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by KLSinCT
I'm delighted that Korg has come out with a new version of the Kronos, but am absolutely appalled that they continue to hamstring it with that dreadful, clunky, outdated RH3 action...

I played one recently (not a Kronos, but a RH3 action). I thought it was ok actually. I've played worse. It was smooth and quiet and the weighting seemed fine. I rate it as better (quite a lot better) than the Fatar action in my Nord, purely in a physical sense that is. The Nord's action may not be too great but it does connect very well with the sounds. But just in terms of the physical sensation of playing the keys I thought the RH3 was significantly better.

Just my two pennies...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In your opinion, how would you compare the RH3 to a Yam GH, an action whose design is about the same age?

I think the GH is more successful and adaptable to different models...Hideki's comments always resonated with me that the RM3 just doesn't seem worthy of their otherwise outstanding flagship Kronos. In something like the SV-1, I'm totally satisfied with the RH3 because I'm more interested in the non-piano sounds.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
In your opinion, how would you compare the RH3 to a Yam GH, an action whose design is about the same age?

I think I agree with you. GH is better but I find it a bit stiff. But that only struck me when I had a GH keyboard (CP33) right next to others and in comparison the GH is not an easy keyboard to play. But that was just my experience. But yes, it probably is overall a bit better than RH3.

Do you remember the old Yamaha AE (action effect) keyboard? Korg used the old Yamaha action in a number of their pianos some years ago. The SG-Pro-X stage piano certainly used the AE keyboard. I wonder if the DNA of Korgs current key actions have something of (old) Yamaha in them.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Given the subjective opinions of different weighted actions, I wonder if final decisions for a design are made by evaluating for critical measurements (compared to an "ideal" behavior) or by some survey of pianists or if it somehow comes down to one person's opinion.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
THe RH3 is indeed a fairly disappointing action however the Kronos itself is now a excellent board ...now they finally have most of the crippling bugs ironed out. The lesson of the Kronos launch, bugs and now update is that sometimes if your a early adopter you simply get screwed !

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
K
K
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by KLSinCT
I'm delighted that Korg has come out with a new version of the Kronos, but am absolutely appalled that they continue to hamstring it with that dreadful, clunky, outdated RH3 action...

I played one recently (not a Kronos, but a RH3 action). I thought it was ok actually. I've played worse. It was smooth and quiet and the weighting seemed fine. I rate it as better (quite a lot better) than the Fatar action in my Nord, purely in a physical sense that is. The Nord's action may not be too great but it does connect very well with the sounds. But just in terms of the physical sensation of playing the keys I thought the RH3 was significantly better.

Just my two pennies...

Let's hope that Korg has learned their lesson and is using their Japanese-produced keybeds this time around for the new Kronos rather than the Chinese-made rubbish that plagued the first edition!

Sadly, I've never had the chance to test-play a Nord as they seem to be unavailable in my area.

Cheers,

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission