2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sandalholme
c)listening to works with the specific intention of trying to learn how to perform them, in other words copying...For me only c) is illegitimate.
But "learning how to perform them" is not the same as copying. Of course, it's possible that someone might listen to a performance with the idea of trying to copy it, but this certainly does not have to be the case.

When studying with a teacher, most of lesson is spent "learning how to perform" a piece. Listening to performances can help one learn how to perform a piece the same way a lesson can.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
It's all a question of degree, isn't it?

Some hear a recording/performance of a piece and decide to work on it on the basis of that hearing.

Some hear a piece, work on it, then listen to recordings to get ideas of how others may play it and how those ideas may inform their own.

Others, perhaps more inherently lazy than anything else, say that they simply have to listen to a piece to "hear how it goes." They can't figure out "how it goes" - or don't want to - by working from the score.

It's these last individuals that I have a serious issue with.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
It's all a question of degree, isn't it?

Some hear a recording/performance of a piece and decide to work on it on the basis of that hearing.

Some hear a piece, work on it, then listen to recordings to get ideas of how others may play it and how those ideas may inform their own.

Others, perhaps more inherently lazy than anything else, say that they simply have to listen to a piece to "hear how it goes." They can't figure out "how it goes" - or don't want to - by working from the score.

It's these last individuals that I have a serious issue with.

Regards,
I certainly agree it's a question of degree but the only thing I have an issue with would be those that listen to a score with the intention of copying much of what's in it and perhaps not even thinking about why they like something another pianist does.

I think it helps to have an idea "how it goes" and this can significantly increase the speed one can learn a piece. I think of listening to see how it goes is similar to using an edited score to help with fingering. I might be able to figure out the best fingering for me with lots of time but using fingered editions to get suggestions usually greatly decreases the time I spend on this aspect of learning a piece.

And I often think, despite my long experience, that I would never have come up with some ingenious fingering some editor suggests. If I didn't sometimes use fingered editions I would never have the opportunity to learn something about fingering that I might find useful in another piece. It's kind of like trying to learn calculus without a textbook.

Sometimes the pieces I learn do not come in any fingered edition, and it can take a long time for me to decide on and find a fingering that seems to be best. I think any speed in finding my own fingerings I might gain by always trying to find fingerings totally independently(actually hard to do since most editions have some fingerings) would be counterbalanced by never experiencing editor's excellent fingering to learn from.

Although I think knowing how it goes is helpful, I usually decide to learn piece because I've already heard it and liked it. So in this sense knowing how it goes is usually a given for me. But for those who are assigned pieces, I think listening to see how it goes is not so bad. In fact, there is a big Youtube project, the University of Iowa Piano Pedagogy Project, that posts video by piano professors of typical student pieces.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/16/12 04:50 PM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Old Man

Perhaps Stores is such an accomplished pianist that he is able to simply sight-read anything placed in front of him.

Originally Posted by stores

I am, yes, and so are many others here. It is not rocket science... it's simply learning to read a score and developing your technique sufficiently enough to work your way through anything.

Ah, now we've got to the crux of the matter. Because for those of us less gifted than you, it is indeed rocket science. And no amount of technique development will make it less so. What you and many others on this forum have is a gift so precious, that you barely take notice of it. You may believe your ability is due to your countless hours of practice, but it is not. You have a native talent for which you should thank any god that you may believe in, every day of your life. Practicing only burnishes what already exists. I agree that practice may improve my playing in very small increments, but practice will never make perfect if the basic talent is not there.

I completely understand why you would feel this way, but I would like to say (in the nicest possible terms) that I'm very sure you're wrong smile

Since you've only had a teacher for a few months of your life, you naturally would not understand that a good (or even basically competent) teacher makes the difference between blindly and randomly hacking around in the endless dense thicket of musical skill improvement for only the smallest advances, and a relatively easy and well-marked super highway of advancement.

I know this, because even though I did start out (and stayed with) piano lessons from a teacher as a kid, my first two teachers weren't very good. I didn't even understand that there was a thing called 'technique' which was the *way* to do things on piano (like play fast passages, play evenly, play very softly) and that it could be taught! Prior to this blinding revelation (which happened in *college*, mind you), I thought that either you could do these things or you couldn't. And that was that.

Nope. These things can and should be taught. In fact, they are taught as a matter of course every single day to thousands of piano students who are fortunate to have competent or better teachers. In fact I know understand that what took me 6 years of less-than-competent teachers (and still I had massive gaps) is covered by a good teacher to that level in at most a couple of years.

In my lifetime I've had probably 20 years of piano lessons, on and off, and I'm still amazed at how quickly my teacher (I'm now studying with someone who has an MA in piano pedagogy and DMA in performance) can help me to improve.

Get yourself a good teacher. It will amaze you.

Last edited by ProdigalPianist; 07/16/12 05:20 PM.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by ProdigalPianist

I completely understand why you would feel this way, but I would like to say (in the nicest possible terms) that I'm very sure you're wrong smile

No need for "nicest possible terms". If Stores can't offend me, no one can! grin

But seriously, I would love to believe that I am wrong. But at my age (62), one learns to pick and choose those activities most likely to bear fruit, and taking piano lessons never seemed to fall in the "fruitful" category.

But ironically, my next door neighbor, who is an experienced piano teacher, recently offered to work with me. She has studied with a well-known pianist here in Michigan for many years, and seems very accomplished, so I assume she is competent. She said she would like someone to listen to pieces she is working on (test marketing?), and, in exchange offered me free lessons. Of course, I nixed the "free" part, but I did leave the door open to her generous offer. (And it would be nice to play one of her large grands instead of my Roland, for a change.) But I also want to be sure I'm not wasting her time.

So, thank you, PP, (and Stores), for your advice about getting a teacher. Who knows, I may just surprise myself and do it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
...a well-known pianist here in Michigan...
So, thank you, PP, (and Stores), for your advice about getting a teacher. Who knows, I may just surprise myself and do it.

I think you might want to send me a message, Old Man.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
A
Another work that doesn't get mentioned in your list but perhaps you might want to look into is the berceuse in D flat. It's beautiful, challenging, but shorter than the rest of the list.

Currently working on: Bach Partita 4, English Suite 2, Toccata d-minor, Chopin-op 10/1, Schubert Impromptus
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes the Berceuse is lovely, but more of a piece to do on the side of one of the pieces I listed.. I have decided to start with either Fantasie Op 49 or Barcarolle Op 60... Which of these to pieces do you think would be the best one to start with, and why?

If you don't know after all we've said, I don't think we can tell you any better. grin

The answer is either the Barcarolle or neither. smile

F
F
I suggest you start with the Fantasie Op 49 then. It's easier than the ballades(except perhaps the third) and if you think you can manage a major work by Chopin, this one is an okay one to start with.

Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
I suggest you start with the Fantasie Op 49 then. It's easier than the ballades(except perhaps the third)...

Completely disagree -- unless you're not counting the "hard parts," of which there are many.

...and if you think you can manage a major work by Chopin, this one is an okay one to start with.

Completely disagree, except to the extent that we might feel like going easy and saying that anything is okay to start with.

F
F
And why would you say the fantasie is "harder" than any of Ballades No 1, 2 and 4? It has not got any passage that is nearly as difficult as the coda of the 4th ballade. Nor does it have any passages that are harder than the first's and second's codas. If you say that it contains "many more technical challenges" than I say that so does the Barcarolle. As for interpretational difficulties, the barcarolle is no easier than the fantasie..

Last edited by Franz Beebert; 07/20/12 02:58 AM.
And why would you say the fantasie is "harder" than any of Ballades No 1, 2 and 4? It has not got any passage that is nearly as difficult as the coda of the 4th ballade.

Very subjective of course, but I say, not only does it have passages that are as hard, but its hard passages are SCARIER.

IMO there's nothing in the 4th ballade that is any harder -- and nothing that is as 'scary' -- as those contrary motion octave passages in the Fantaisie.
Unless they're played timidly (which they often are).

Likewise those jagged triplet passages following what I call the "butterfly" lyrical phrases.

And for that matter, how often have you heard those 'butterfly lyrical' phrases really played lyrically, comfortably, and accurately?

I could name other passages too, but I'll leave it at that.

When I'm preparing for a recital where I'm playing a bunch of these pieces (as I did the other day), the Fantaisie is the one that I always feel I need to 'prep' the most (like with tryouts in front of people). The other pieces are hard, and of course the 4th Ballade is considered by most to be the hardest of all, but the Fantaisie has more tricky acrobatics than any of them.

Unless it's played timidly. smile

The idea of recommending the piece to a beginner or intermediate player as their first major Chopin piece seems way off the mark to me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And for something to be hard does it only have to be technically demanding?

F
F
If one is technically prepared(now we don't know if the OP is) to play a first major work by Chopin, one certainly cannot be called a "beginner or intermediate player". In my opinion, double note passages and bringing out the top voice in thick chords, which are the main technical problems in the Barcarolle, is just as difficult, if not more, than anything in the Fantasie. The coda in double notes in the 4th Ballade scare me 45x more than anything in the fantasie. I would say that out of all the works that the OP listed, Fantasie Op 49 is one of the more suitable, IF the OP is musically mature enough, because that is where the real difficulty lies when it comes to the Fantasie. The only pieces that might be more suitable than the Fantasie IMO are the first three Scherzos, Op 48 No 1 and PERHAPS the third Ballade.

Last edited by Franz Beebert; 07/20/12 05:12 AM.
L
L
I would also strongly advise against playing the fantaisie as the first major work, and would definitely not recommend starting with any of the large-scale works (e.g. fantaisie, polonaise-fantaisie, and the sonatas). I think that from the ones listed, op. 48 no. 1 would be the most suitable. If it needs to be a scherzo or a ballade, I would recommend numbers 2 and 3, respectively.

How about the op. 26 polonaises? They are excellent music while being more accessible than most of the pieces in the original list.

F
F
Lisztvsthalbergg, you mean Ballade 2 or 3, or Scherzo 2 or 3? Ballade number 2 is arguably the most difficult of all the works listed after the 4th ballade, and definately harder than the fantasie from a technical point of view. The others are fine. Op 48 No 1 is the easiest because of its length, but the last two pages are just as hard as anything in the 2nd and 3rd Scherzos and the 3rd Ballade. The Op 26 Polonaises are great pieces and I would also recommend playing them, although, they are easier than all the pieces listed.

L
L
Lisztvsthalbergg, you mean Ballade 2 or 3, or Scherzo 2 or 3?
I meant scherzo no. 2 and ballade no. 3 (and definitely not the other way around).

I know that the op. 26 polonaises are easier, but think that they can be great stepping stones towards the more difficult works while sounding quite impressive when played well. In fact, Op. 26 no. 1 was the first "bigger" Chopin piece I played and I'm glad that I didn't jump straight into the more difficult ones.

F
F
Don't you think that Op 48 could be considered a good "stepping stone" for him then? Op 48 No 1 is not actually a "major work" although it is just as great as most of his major works, and has the character of being one. I would argue for that anyone who is able to play the Op 48 No 1 well, is ready for his first major work by Chopin.

L
L
Yes, I think that op. 48/1 would be by far the best choice out of the suggested pieces (given sufficiently good octave technique), with op. 26 nos. 1/2 as possible aternatives.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission