2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jorleyy
....Generally though, I believe that people would consider the Scherzo harder....

You're right if we're talking about amateurs. I'm not sure it's right if we're talking about people at the higher levels.

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....Generally though, I believe that people would consider the Scherzo harder....

You're right if we're talking about amateurs. I'm not sure it's right if we're talking about people at the higher levels.
That's exactly the reason why I took up Horowitz as an example of one of probably thought(if he played) the Italian Concerto was harder than the Scherzo.. On the other hand, when he was a developing pianist in his youth, I find it hard to believe that he was technically able to play the notes of the Scherzo before the Italian Concerto..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We could define A to be mechanically harder than B if the number of people (worldwide) who could play B's notes at speed but not play A's notes at speed is greater than the number of people who could play A's but not play B's.

There is still some ambiguity in this definition (what does "play the notes" mean? what is "at speed"?), but I like it. Note that we ignore anyone who can play both pieces.

I bet that using this definition, the 2nd Scherzo is mechanically harder than the Bach.

-J

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
THank you guys! Well I can play quite advanced pieces. For example, I play Beethoven Op 13 and Op 26, Chopin Op 9 No 2, Op 10 No 3, Op 27 No 1, Op 28 No 1, 2, 3, 4, 14, 18, 23, Op 37 No 2, Schubert Impromptus Op 90(all four), and Bach Italian Concerto and Well tempered Klavier book 1 number 10 and 12.

I wonder, is the Op 48 No 1 the easiest of the pieces I listed, is it accessible considering what I play, or is the Op 44 Polonaise or any of the Scherzos easier than the Op 48 no 1 and more accessible?

I don't understand. According to your current level, you should already be able to judge on which of those major Chopin works you have listed are harder for you.

How about your scales, arpeggios and octaves?

Just put your metronome to 100 and play hands together:
scales, 6 notes per tick
arpeggios, 5 notes per tick
octaves, 4 note per tick

If all are perfect then consider major Chopin works.
If not, then you have to practice more scales, arpeggios and octaves.

Last edited by Hakki; 07/13/12 01:50 PM.
Originally Posted by beet31425
I bet that using this definition, the 2nd Scherzo is mechanically harder than the Bach.

You need more in the definition.

Are we also talking about playing at a credible tempo, and also EVENLY?

The Chopin tolerates a certain unevenness more than the Bach does; in some ways 'a certain unevenness' could be said to be part of the "sweep" in the Chopin. The Bach doesn't tolerate unevenness at all. And don't forget, the left hand is involved too. ha

To me, the evenness issue is the main thing that makes the Bach harder -- that plus the greater transparency (which is related to the intolerance for unevenness).

There are so very many parts to "what do we mean" with such questions -- and that's even before getting to things like interpretation and depth, which make this comparison even hairier.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
To put this in another context, Paul Lewis, a mean Beethoven performer, seriously said he finds the Appassionata less troublesome than the Pathetique, as it lies more easily under the hands. I doubt many pianists view these works in a similar manner.

This simply illustrates the obvious point: each person has different technical trouble spots and aspects which come more naturally. Re the works in the thread, anyone contemplating any of them should already be aware of his/her strengths and weaknesses, choosing new works (from a purely technical view) on the basis of relative ease of access or as a way of improving the weaknesses.

Me, I start on new works that I would really like to play and which I believe do not contain technical difficulties that are way beyond me. In that order. If I'm wrong about the technical bit, I abandon or look for exercises or pieces that will improve my technique. On this, it's amazing how playing Bach makes lots of other composers more accessible.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by scherzojoe
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by scherzojoe
When I listen to piece and am struck with an original idea about it, that greatly influences me to learn it.. All this being said, I can't think of one negative aspect of listening to a piece before cracking open the score.

The point is... YOU are being struck by someone ELSES "original" idea .

No, stores. I do have original ideas of which I have never heard anybody play before.

In fact, I still stand by my argument that it's a good thing to listen before you learn. Hearing many different interpretations of a particular piece gives context and helps you understand the piece better. I for one have never had any artistic struggles due to listening before learning. It hasn't stopped my creativity.

I'm 100% with you, Joe. I don't understand the obsession with avoiding recordings by other pianists. I have to believe that the great pianists of today and yesteryear didn't simply amass a 6-foot stack of scores and begin sampling them. If they were like the rest of us, they probably heard someone else play a piece, and then felt inspired to add it to their repertoire.

Perhaps Stores is such an accomplished pianist that he is able to simply sight-read anything placed in front of him. If so, then he can gain a "sense" of a piece simply by playing it. But for someone who plays at a sub-amateur level (i.e. me), that luxury is not available. I need to actually hear someone play it well, so I can decide: 1). If the piece is within my capabilities (usually not); and 2.) If it is within my grasp, do I like it well enough to invest time in it.

I remember passing over Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words No. 40 (Elegy) because I couldn't sight-read it well enough to fully appreciate it. Then I heard it on a recording of Horowitz encores, and fell in love with it. It's truly a gem that was worth investing time in. But even then, I certainly don't remember having Horowitz's interpretation in my head. He simply revealed the true beauty of the piece that I was unable to do on my own. And although I could never duplicate his performance even if I had tried, I sure wouldn't have lost any sleep if I had. Nor would I have felt "unoriginal". grin

F
F
I wonder, isn't it best to start with Op 48 No 1 or is it as hard as any of the Scherzos?
It is probably easier than all of the Scherzos from a pure mechanically technical point of view. And to clarify what this means: I think that everyone who can play the notes of any of the scherzi are can physically manage the Op 48 No 1. Everyone who can pay the notes of the Nocturne isn't necessary able to physically play the notes of the Scherzi.. Anyway, I think this is a good way to explain it.. I would say that the difficulty range from the Op 48 to the 2nd or 3rd Scherzo is about the same as the one from these two Scherzi to the first Ballade

Last edited by Franz Beebert; 07/13/12 07:18 PM.
F
F
Originally Posted by Hakki
THank you guys! Well I can play quite advanced pieces. For example, I play Beethoven Op 13 and Op 26, Chopin Op 9 No 2, Op 10 No 3, Op 27 No 1, Op 28 No 1, 2, 3, 4, 14, 18, 23, Op 37 No 2, Schubert Impromptus Op 90(all four), and Bach Italian Concerto and Well tempered Klavier book 1 number 10 and 12.

I wonder, is the Op 48 No 1 the easiest of the pieces I listed, is it accessible considering what I play, or is the Op 44 Polonaise or any of the Scherzos easier than the Op 48 no 1 and more accessible?

I don't understand. According to your current level, you should already be able to judge on which of those major Chopin works you have listed are harder for you.

scales, 6 notes per tick
octaves, 4 note per tick

The pieces that the OP has played are all easier than the "Major Works" he has listed, so I don't now what you base what you are saying on... Also, I have no idea where you get the "put your metronome to 100"-thing from... really? What about thirds? Sixths? Double notes? Tremolos? Trills? Arpeggios where you need to play 6 notes per tick at metronome value 100?

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert

scales, 6 notes per tick
octaves, 4 note per tick

The pieces that the OP has played are all easier than the "Major Works" he has listed, so I don't now what you base what you are saying on... Also, I have no idea where you get the "put your metronome to 100"-thing from... really? What about thirds? Sixths? Double notes? Tremolos? Trills? Arpeggios where you need to play 6 notes per tick at metronome value 100?

The "100" thing is just a simple test that he can use to evaluate himself and see whether he is ready for Chopin's major works he has listed.

F
F
And what makes just "100" a good number?

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

It is easy to remember.

BTW, double thirds and sixths, 3 notes per tick.

F
F

It is easy to remember.

BTW, double thirds and sixths, 3 notes per tick.
Are you serious? You think that this exact numbers will tell him that if he can play them, he can play the pieces by Chopin?

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Why don't we just wait and hear from him?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Old Man
[...] I don't understand the obsession with avoiding recordings by other pianists.[...]

We often decide to study a work because we have heard a recording or a performance of it. That's a large part of musical life. But you may have missed the point that I objected to; it was joe's observation : "Listen to the piece until you know it in your head backwards and front then take it to the piano."

That intensive pre-study, before taking it to the piano would for me, kill any inspiration that an initial exposure to a work might have and deprive me of the excitement of any "discovery," musical or technical, that the work might hold.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...] I don't understand the obsession with avoiding recordings by other pianists.[...]

We often decide to study a work because we have heard a recording or a performance of it. That's a large part of musical life. But you may have missed the point that I objected to; it was joe's observation : "Listen to the piece until you know it in your head backwards and front then take it to the piano."

That intensive pre-study, before taking it to the piano would for me, kill any inspiration that an initial exposure to a work might have and deprive me of the excitement of any "discovery," musical or technical, that the work might hold.

Regards,

I see your point. It makes sense that burning a specific interpretation into your brain might destroy your creativity on that particular piece, but what is your opinion about getting to know a piece through many different interpretations, instead of just one? I think doing this creates context for the listener. This is what I always do before tackling any piece, and it never stops my creativity. Do you think creativity is a thought-out process? Or do you think it come out of thin air? Or both? For me, creativity ideas usually pop into my mind without my control, but my musical personality also plays it's role.

Thoughts?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I have to believe that the great pianists of today and yesteryear didn't simply amass a 6-foot stack of scores and begin sampling them. If they were like the rest of us, they probably heard someone else play a piece, and then felt inspired to add it to their repertoire.

Really? You do realise that the phonograph hasn't always been with us (not to mention electricity), yes?

Perhaps Stores is such an accomplished pianist that he is able to simply sight-read anything placed in front of him. If so, then he can gain a "sense" of a piece simply by playing it. But for someone who plays at a sub-amateur level (i.e. me), that luxury is not available. I need to actually hear someone play it well, so I can decide: 1). If the piece is within my capabilities (usually not); and 2.) If it is within my grasp, do I like it well enough to invest time in it.

I am, yes, and so are many others here. It is not rocket science... it's simply learning to read a score and developing your technique sufficiently enough to work your way through anything. No one needs to listen to someone else play a work to decide if it's within their capabilities. If they do, then they should go to their teacher(s) and ask for every penny back, because they should be able, after a certain point, to open a score and decide in the music store itself whether this or that is going to sit on the music rack or the shelf whence they fetched it. I've never understood this thinking that says "do I like a piece well enough to invest my time in it." What? There is not a piece of great music which ISN'T worthwhile enough for one to "invest his time" in, if, as OldMan here states, one is still grounding himself in the early stages of learning (which, of course, we all are doing really). I just can't wrap my head around someone saying they don't like a work, if they can't play the damned thing. You've only heard someone ELSE play it... how do you know it's not the performer who you've heard that you don't like? Perhaps they've made a mess of things? I can't begin to tell you how many scores I've picked up over the years of works I'd not ever sat down with seriously and once I dove into it I fell completely in love... how can you not?

To rely on a recording to decide so much for you is to say that you're lazy. You need a crutch to lean on. Educate yourself and do some homework. Spend less time listening to Joe Blow's recording and posting replies on PW and practise, practise, practise. You didn't begin playing with the grand aim of achieving that "sub amateur level" did you (if so, then all I can say is "Wow")? Get yourself a good teacher and get busy.

Last edited by stores; 07/14/12 04:19 AM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Re sight reading, assessing a piece from scratch. When I was still in single figures of age, or only just about 10 (I started lessons at 11), I was fooling around with piano reductions of orchestral pieces - Mendelssohn's Ruy Blas for instance. At 11 my teacher immediately put me in for Associated Board Grade 4.

I am not a concert/professional pianist but I was certainly "sub amateur" then. That sort of experience led me to become a reasonably accomplished sight reader, but more importantly helped me to be able to explore music, to get inside it from the word go, whether or not I had heard it before.

This is different from practicing a work of course, but the "getting acquainted" process (at something like a normal speed) can be a very useful precursor to slow painstaking study. You know much better that the effort will be worth it: the music has already spoken to you, you have already responded to it.

And...............it's fun.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I have to believe that the great pianists of today and yesteryear didn't simply amass a 6-foot stack of scores and begin sampling them. If they were like the rest of us, they probably heard someone else play a piece, and then felt inspired to add it to their repertoire.

Really? You do realise that the phonograph hasn't always been with us (not to mention electricity), yes?

I am, yes, and so are many others here. It is not rocket science... it's simply learning to read a score and developing your technique sufficiently enough to work your way through anything. No one needs to listen to someone else play a work to decide if it's within their capabilities. If they do, then they should go to their teacher(s) and ask for every penny back, because they should be able, after a certain point, to open a score and decide in the music store itself whether this or that is going to sit on the music rack or the shelf whence they fetched it. I've never understood this thinking that says "do I like a piece well enough to invest my time in it." What? There is not a piece of great music which ISN'T worthwhile enough for one to "invest his time" in, if, as OldMan here states, one is still grounding himself in the early stages of learning (which, of course, we all are doing really). I just can't wrap my head around someone saying they don't like a work, if they can't play the damned thing. You've only heard someone ELSE play it... how do you know it's not the performer who you've heard that you don't like? Perhaps they've made a mess of things? I can't begin to tell you how many scores I've picked up over the years of works I'd not ever sat down with seriously and once I dove into it I fell completely in love... how can you not?

To rely on a recording to decide so much for you is to say that you're lazy. You need a crutch to lean on. Educate yourself and do some homework. Spend less time listening to Joe Blow's recording and posting replies on PW and practise, practise, practise. You didn't begin playing with the grand aim of achieving that "sub amateur level" did you (if so, then all I can say is "Wow")? Get yourself a good teacher and get busy.

You really love telling people how to live their lives, don't you? Music is NOT objective, neither is learning music. All people are different, do you not understand? In other words, there is no one way to do something. If someone learns better by listening before learning, let them! Your attitude is disgusting.

Also, you said:

"No one needs to listen to someone else play a work to decide if it's within their capabilities."

No one ever said you need to, stores. I'm almost shocked at the things said in this post. It's almost as if you don't even understand the very things you are arguing against. Do you even know my position on this subject? You don't appear to.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

It is not rocket science... it's simply learning to read a score and developing your technique sufficiently enough to work your way through anything. No one needs to listen to someone else play a work to decide if it's within their capabilities. .....

scherzojoe:

stores is saying what he thinks right in the face. And IMO, all of what he said is true.

You may not like his posting style or not agree with him, but he is on subject.

Why don't you just stay on subject too instead of criticizing his posting style?

Edit: Just in case you don't realize, my response is similar to yours, just to show how easy it is not to stay on subject. Only this time the example target is you.

Last edited by Hakki; 07/14/12 07:41 AM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission